So, what's your ultimate monkey?

I originally posted stories to Lit. to have storage for my dirty stories other than in my own systems.

Well there's an unexpected but practical reason. Were you excited to have people read them and tell you that they enjoyed them?

Well there's an unexpected but practical reason. Were you excited to have people read them and tell you that they enjoyed them?

Yes, because previously I was writing for the mainstream market, where the response isn't as immediate or individual as it is here.

Yes, because previously I was writing for the mainstream market, where the response isn't as immediate or individual as it is here.
I am sure. Feedback makes my writing better, but it still terrifies me. No matter how often it's positive. I am always sure someone is going to read what I write and tell me what a waste it is that I bother. I think it's why I'm stalling finishing my novel. It's putting a big piece of me out there in a very real way. I don't know how it will be reviewed eventually, but that's not going to stop me forever, I'm close to being finished.
My erotica, however, yes, I can hope that the responses I get here are a lot quicker. ;)

I've been writing most of my life, but I generally refuse to let anything I write see the light of day, even if I think it's good or I enjoy rereading it. I guess this is kind of a step for me, trying to get over this weird anxiety I have about people reading my stories. And if even one person enjoys it, then that's a bonus, I guess?

I've been writing most of my life, but I generally refuse to let anything I write see the light of day, even if I think it's good or I enjoy rereading it. I guess this is kind of a step for me, trying to get over this weird anxiety I have about people reading my stories. And if even one person enjoys it, then that's a bonus, I guess?

Yup! I totally get you!

I am sure. Feedback makes my writing better, but it still terrifies me. No matter how often it's positive. I am always sure someone is going to read what I write and tell me what a waste it is that I bother. I think it's why I'm stalling finishing my novel. It's putting a big piece of me out there in a very real way. I don't know how it will be reviewed eventually, but that's not going to stop me forever, I'm close to being finished.
My erotica, however, yes, I can hope that the responses I get here are a lot quicker. ;)

Well let me take care of this for you: Your writing sucks. How dare you attempt to link adjectives, nouns, adverbs and verbs together in the way you do?! You're clearly are subpar as a writer and more-than-likely subpar as a human. Face it, you're an oxygen thief in real life and a waste of bandwidth as writer. You suck!

There. That's done. Now get back to writing and fuck the critics!!! :D

Writing is as easy as singing; until you have an audience and then it can be scary as hell. Sooner or later, you're going to get feedback similar to what I just wrote for sinagainChris12.

But writing without sharing amounts to little more than jerking off in front of a keyboard, all you've done is entertained yourself. Not that there's anything wrong with jerking off in front of the keyboard, but it sure doesn't make you a writer any more than playing Madden on your X-Box makes you a NFL quarterback.

To quote Susan Jeffers, "Feel the fear and do it anyway." You may falter, stumble, and embarrass yourself. You might receive feedback as harsh as above. But you also might delight a stranger who needed to escape for a few minutes. And you might even find a friend or two along the way. Risk nothing and that's all you'll ever have to show for yourself. Your choice.

To quote Susan Jeffers, "Feel the fear and do it anyway." You may falter, stumble, and embarrass yourself. You might receive feedback as harsh as above. But you also might delight a stranger who needed to escape for a few minutes. And you might even find a friend or two along the way. Risk nothing and that's all you'll ever have to show for yourself. Your choice.

I'm actually kind of looking forward to my first negative "you're a waste of oxygen" type comment, because those kinds of attacks are kind of what drives the fear for me? So I figure once it happens, I can see that some HTML isn't going to kill me. I know it never gets easy, but skin gets thicker.

When it comes to submitting a story on LIT. What makes you do it?

I think I'm more focused on the desire to see that people are just reading it, (hopefully the whole chapter), and maybe, just maybe, they're enjoying it and, you know....ever so slightly decreasing their chance of prostate cancer....

So what's your monkey?

Are you trying to get votes? Win awards?
NO
Are you refining your writing craft?
YES
Are you more comfortable with this more "anonymous" forum?
Eh?
Are you needing guidance, trying to improve your writing?
Too often
Are you new to writing and seeking the above -^?
No
Are you looking for praise in your work?
It's nice but not essential
Are you just seeing what people think?
No
Are you just submitting because you think this is all very hot and sexy and you want to add to the conversation?
Eh?

Truth:
To feed my ego. It is an insatiable beast that constantly needs validation.

Your writing needs no such a boost.

I'm interested in what you write about POV. I like writing 1st person for its immediacy. The omniscient 3rd person POV can easily look juvenile, especially when you start jumping around inside different people's heads. I think limited 3rd person is a tough one to keep on track as you have to keep reminding yourself of the limitations you have set yourself. The classic trick is to reveal who the 3rd-person narrator is at the end of the story, by switching into 1st person.

Do you think there's something more inherently voyeuristic about writing in the 3rd person?

I used to write Technical Manuals and stuff.
I've actually found it quite difficult to adapt to something more personal, but I prefer the 3rd person, because you can tell the tale.
Personally, I cannot get my head round "I go to the Gym and met Freda and we have sex. . . ."

Voyeuristic ? No. No more that reportage. . .

Well let me take care of this for you: Your writing sucks. How dare you attempt to link adjectives, nouns, adverbs and verbs together in the way you do?! You're clearly are subpar as a writer and more-than-likely subpar as a human. Face it, you're an oxygen thief in real life and a waste of bandwidth as writer. You suck!

There. That's done. Now get back to writing and fuck the critics!!! :D

Wow. If I'm this bad at something I've been working on for 25 years, I can't imagine how I'm going to feel on my first day in a whole new profession (start work Monday). lol!

Thanks. Now I know I suck and the pressure is GONE. :)

Not exactly - although it's one of several measures of having succeeded writing a good story. I enjoy getting votes.

Yes, definitely. I've had a few instances of very insightful feedback from readers, feedback that has sent me back to the drawing board to do better. I really appreciated that! and would love much more of it, but I'll take whatever I can get.
Plus it's a personal goal - writing to submit to a contest, for example, provides a deadline I wouldn't otherwise have. And discipline is not my strong suit, so I need discipline imposed from the outside, so to speak. (No, no, I don't need a Dom. ;) )

Neah, not too relevant. But I have been in the habit of writing down my dirty fantasies to which I got myself off for a long time (teenage years), and now, instead of ripping them up, I set a higher standard for them and submit them here.

I think everyone can use some of this, however good or professional you are, if by guidance you include readers telling you what worked and didn't work for them. What reached them and what didn't. Plus, sharing notes about the writing craft is fun, IMHO.

Not exactly. I am new-ish to posting erotic stories.

Only if it's honest. Honest, high quality feedback is priceless. Feedback about how a reader wants to fill me with their cum after listening to one of my poems is, at best, meh.

Sort of.

Are you just submitting because you think this is all very hot and sexy and you want to add to the conversation?

This is sort of a "bonus," the release of pent-up sexual energy. It's nice to have this venue, and find like-minded people to share with. I enjoy knowing my readers have shared a fantasy or a story with me, and have enjoyed it. It's a connection I've made, even if an ephemeral one.

I started a long time ago wanting to write and submit my stories to the literary magazines, and I did. I've done so even as recently as a year ago. But they are very picky about exactly what they want, and I simply don't have the time to write as much as I'd need to get one of my stories into one of them. I don't doubt that I could (yes, I have a bit of confidence in my writing) but being in the right place at the right time with the right story is still a huge hurdle. Here, that bar is much lower. Even if I assume that only those who have voted on a story have finished it and thought enough of it to vote, I've reached at least 50-100 readers (give or take a few). Unless I publish in the New Yorker, that's still readers I've reached.

And last but NOT LEAST, I write to let out steam, work out problems, ease my overactive brain cells. Way cheaper than therapy.

Thanks for starting the discussion. :rose::rose:
I'm enjoying everyone else's views. That's what I like about being in the Lit community.

Why write? Because I must.
Why write for LIT? Because I can.
What do I want here? To grab eyeballs.
What do I gain? Fuck if I know. Lulz, maybe.

I've only posted one story so far and it was more an exercise in stepping outside my safe zone. In putting a piece of me out there for others to look at.

I was so thrilled to check in and see that a few folks had favorited it.

Not exactly - although it's one of several measures of having succeeded writing a good story. I enjoy getting votes.

Yes, definitely. I've had a few instances of very insightful feedback from readers, feedback that has sent me back to the drawing board to do better. I really appreciated that! and would love much more of it, but I'll take whatever I can get.
Plus it's a personal goal - writing to submit to a contest, for example, provides a deadline I wouldn't otherwise have. And discipline is not my strong suit, so I need discipline imposed from the outside, so to speak. (No, no, I don't need a Dom. ;) )

Neah, not too relevant. But I have been in the habit of writing down my dirty fantasies to which I got myself off for a long time (teenage years), and now, instead of ripping them up, I set a higher standard for them and submit them here.

I think everyone can use some of this, however good or professional you are, if by guidance you include readers telling you what worked and didn't work for them. What reached them and what didn't. Plus, sharing notes about the writing craft is fun, IMHO.

Not exactly. I am new-ish to posting erotic stories.

Only if it's honest. Honest, high quality feedback is priceless. Feedback about how a reader wants to fill me with their cum after listening to one of my poems is, at best, meh.

Sort of.

This is sort of a "bonus," the release of pent-up sexual energy. It's nice to have this venue, and find like-minded people to share with. I enjoy knowing my readers have shared a fantasy or a story with me, and have enjoyed it. It's a connection I've made, even if an ephemeral one.

I started a long time ago wanting to write and submit my stories to the literary magazines, and I did. I've done so even as recently as a year ago. But they are very picky about exactly what they want, and I simply don't have the time to write as much as I'd need to get one of my stories into one of them. I don't doubt that I could (yes, I have a bit of confidence in my writing) but being in the right place at the right time with the right story is still a huge hurdle. Here, that bar is much lower. Even if I assume that only those who have voted on a story have finished it and thought enough of it to vote, I've reached at least 50-100 readers (give or take a few). Unless I publish in the New Yorker, that's still readers I've reached.

And last but NOT LEAST, I write to let out steam, work out problems, ease my overactive brain cells. Way cheaper than therapy.

Thanks for starting the discussion. :rose::rose:
I'm enjoying everyone else's views. That's what I like about being in the Lit community.

Thank you for answering the way you did, it was very thought out and thorough. As you can see, I'm very new to posting, and have only submitted a few chapters of my first story...so we shall see how it all goes. I have enjoyed how everyone's been replying, it gives me insight, as well, as to what the writers here come here for, and it's nice to know there are so many similarities. You never know when you find a new venue online, what the people will be like, and it's been very encouraging today to read all these replies. :D

Why write? Because I must.
Why write for LIT? Because I can.
What do I want here? To grab eyeballs.
What do I gain? Fuck if I know. Lulz, maybe.

I have to say, I've read a few stories on here that realllllllllllllly made me hot. (To which my husband always appreciates, lol). And I've read a few that were actually quite humorous, or just completely ridiculous and made me laugh. There is such a huge variety.

I've only posted one story so far and it was more an exercise in stepping outside my safe zone. In putting a piece of me out there for others to look at.

I was so thrilled to check in and see that a few folks had favorited it.

Oh, I felt the same way, it's really made me smile the last few days to see it. I asked my husband the first day what he thought about me posting a story online, and he said that he thinks posting a story here shows bravery, to write in this way, to submit a work from your mind and allow people an opportunity to comment on it. I think it's rather awesome to do this. And the <3 help. :D

When it comes to submitting a story on LIT. What makes you do it?

So what's your monkey?

I'm addicted to feedback, any feedback!

The votes are a form of feedback so I guess I am trying to get votes and since I just entered the Halloween contest I have to admit that I must be trying to win something.

I think anytime you are writing you are refining your craft, so that is a reason as well.

The anonymous forum does allow a little more freedom. If my bosses found out I wrote here, it could be bad for me.

I probably need more than "guidance" and I think anytime you write you improve.

I've been writing a VERY long time and my job entails technical writing of very precise, boring instruction manuals, so ... No.

Am I seeking praise, of course, but see the first part of my post. I'm an addict :(

I really don't care a lot what people think, but I very much want my writing to be a catalyst that causes them to think, but only wild sexy thoughts :D

I do think all of this is very hot and sexy and I hope I do contribute to the conversation.

I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, but a big reason for me is to put daydreams onto paper/screen. Plus obfuscating identifying traits, of course, so instead of writing about real life Bonnie from Bookkeeping in the Break room, I change it to "Mary from Marketing in the Mail room" (totally different, right? :D), and write a story.

This probably applies more to us dabbler types rather than the pros/semi-pros/prodigious producers (although I suspect us dabblers outnumber them). Those folks have probably progressed farther to the point that they have to (and want to) reach further than past or present wishes. Although even if I wrote a middle-ages romp in a castle in the countryside, the girl might still bear an uncanny resemblance to Bonnie from Bookkeeping?

Last edited:
Back