Summer Lovin’ Challenge

Richard_Hunter

CallMeRoxie
Hey all!
So Literotica has been around for what feels like forever. I mean I used to come here to read stories back in my ‘formative’ years and couldn’t believe all these years later that I was here writing on the site… I kind of feel like it’s my obligations to write stories to help the enjoyment of the next generation.

Anyway getting sidetracked- sorry! Point of this post is I actually submitted my first story for a contest Giving Grandpa a Helping Hand (Gay/Incest warning)and thoroughly enjoyed writing with some sort of ‘prompt’.

I found that knowing I was ‘writing for a contest’ I tried to push myself with my writing beyond what my first submitted stories were in terms of character development, dialogue and even what was happening.

After submitting the story I found myself heading back to other Works in Progress with my new found confidence in writing style and beginning to rewrite large portions.

So I guess posting to see from other authors:
Have you/do you plan on submitting?!
Have you ever won a contest like this in the past? (Would love to see/read and see where the standard needs to be and how to better improve my writing abilities)

Good luck to all that enter.

Last edited:
I've just (as in five minutes ago) submitted my SL story. It's going into E&V, so I expect crickets...

Speaking of cricket, I picked up a third in the 2021 April Fools comp with https://literotica.com/s/cricket-anyone-indias-2nd-innings.

Do I plan a story to fit a competition? Sometimes. Usually I start and maybe tweak the scene to fit an upcoming event.

Good luck with your entry. (y)

I've just (as in five minutes ago) submitted my SL story. It's going into E&V, so I expect crickets...

Speaking of cricket, I picked up a third in the 2021 April Fools comp with https://literotica.com/s/cricket-anyone-indias-2nd-innings.

Do I plan a story to fit a competition? Sometimes. Usually I start and maybe tweak the scene to fit an upcoming event.

Good luck with your entry. (y)

You and me both in E&V for Summer Lovin’. It’s not the busiest of categories is it? - my first attempt at writing in it.

Em

Hey all!
So Literotica has been around for what feels like forever. I mean I used to come here to read stories back in my ‘formative’ years and couldn’t believe all these years later that I was here writing on the site… I kind of feel like it’s my obligations to write stories to help the enjoyment of the next generation.

Anyway getting sidetracked- sorry! Point of this post is I actually submitted my first story for a contest (sorry can’t link on my phone and away from PC until tomorrow) and thoroughly enjoyed writing with some sort of ‘prompt’.

I found that knowing I was ‘writing for a contest’ I tried to push myself with my writing beyond what my first submitted stories were in terms of character development, dialogue and even what was happening.

After submitting the story I found myself heading back to other Works in Progress with my new found confidence in writing style and beginning to rewrite large portions.

So I guess posting to see from other authors:
Have you ever won a contest like this in the past? (Would love to see/read and see where the standard needs to be and how to better improve my writing abilities)

Good luck to all that enter.
Well done on submitting your story 😊.

Em

Congrats on getting it submitted, and good luck.

I've submitted a number of stories to theme-related contests over the last six years, but I have yet to win one. Contests are a mixed bag for me, as far as motivation goes, because I have an undisciplined style of writing and sometimes I don't like the feeling of writing a story under a deadline. I am working on a summer story right now that I hope to squeak in right before the deadline, but we'll see.

You and me both in E&V for Summer Lovin’. It’s not the busiest of categories is it? - my first attempt at writing in it.

Em

It's middle of the pack, usually, in terms of views. I've had some good success with it, probably because it's a category I particularly enjoy. Of all the categories I've written in, it's probably the one with the most widely varying results, in terms of views. Most of my stories do just OK, but I've had a few do very well.

My entry got shifted into Lesbian Sex category. I suppose that was not unreasonable, but I have no way of knowing if the ~7500 views is good or bad company there, relatively speaking. I was pleased it didn't get shat upon for being too kinky for the category as much as I feared it might, at least.

It's middle of the pack, usually, in terms of views. I've had some good success with it, probably because it's a category I particularly enjoy. Of all the categories I've written in, it's probably the one with the most widely varying results, in terms of views. Most of my stories do just OK, but I've had a few do very well.
It’s not my kink (except, as has been pointed out to me, in a very narrow and specific sense), but I’m trying to write in other categories. With mixed results.

Em

I didn't enter my latest story in the contest because at 29 Lit pages, I didn't think it would fare well in the competition.

Now that I'm witnessing the reaction to it from readers, I'm wishing I had entered it.

I am blown away by some of the comments, and the e-mails I have received certainly validate why I write stories in the first place.

Oh well, no regrets.

Hey all!

Anyway getting sidetracked- sorry! Point of this post is I actually submitted my first story for a contest (sorry can’t link on my phone and away from PC until tomorrow) and thoroughly enjoyed writing with some sort of ‘prompt’.

Have you ever won a contest like this in the past?
I always submit to the contests. I consider it a Literotica community activity. I also get more views and, usually, better ratings from contest entries.
And, yes, I have placed in contests here and in the mainstream.

Unsurprisingly, EV is a hugely popular category for this event, so far exceeded by only Group Sex and (drumroll) IT (with 15 entries.) Nothing says summer like families.

Thank you everyone for your feedback and sharing your stories / input,
I have now updated my original post with my story - but will add it here to save everyone from scrolling (Giving Grandpa a Helping Hand - Gay/Incest).

I feel so inspired by the contest + many of your stories and comments I am re-editing many of my works in progress and look forward to improving future stories. Still a little hesitant straying too far from the Gay Male category after my mistake of posting in LW but looking forward to writing many stories for many categories in the future.

Been than done that. Probably one of the best things I've submitted here- in opinion of my own work. Couldn't even make four stars. Fucking philistines.

I submitted and it published today, how do I know if I submitted properly?
What happens now?

I am amazed and honored to have placed 2nd in this year's SL contest. Humbled, really... considering the competition.
To answer your question, I didn't plan the story around the contest in any way; just dumb luck that I was wrapping it up around contest time and it seemed to fit, so I submitted it. I've only been submitting for about 6 months and this was my very first foray into this category.

https://literotica.com/s/both-sides-now-3

Back