The 750 Word Project

8letters

Writing
From today's I/T Hub:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
From the imaginations of your favorite Literotica authors comes:
THE 750 WORD PROJECT

Here's more on the event from organizer jezzaz:
Is it possible to write a complete story in exactly 750 words? That's the minimum limit that Literotica will accept, and after talking among ourselves, some of the writers on Lit decided to see if we could do it. After all, it's 750 words, right? How hard could it be? It's not like editing it is going to take long, after all.

So we buckled down, arguing whether hyphenated words counts as one word or two, trying to work out whether we should be taking the Microsoft Word count as gospel, or the one you get from Windows Explorer, and trying to squash blackrandl1958's desire to write a two thousand word header, 'to explain all the context' (yeah, we see through that, Randi!)

It turns out it's harder than you might think to tell a story and have it mean anything in 750 words. But you can judge for yourself, on February 4th, when the fruits of our labors will be posted.

And to answer an oft asked question, jezzaz continues:
Is this open to all? Sure it is!
So, the rules are simple.

Post on Feb 1. Make sure it's tagged with the words "The 750 Project" and ensure that in the 'story notes to administrator', you put the words "story for 750 Word project", so the admins know to hold the posting of that story till Feb 4.

We are using Word to calculate word count, and it needs to be 750 words exactly - no more, no less. That is not counting any header you may put in, just the actual text of the story part.

Participating writers include:
Bebop3
blackrandl1958
dtiverson
GirlintheMoon
Harddaysknight
Jezzaz
MattBlackUK
silkstockingslover
Stev2244
Todd172
qhml1​

If you've got an idea for a themed writers event, feel free to contact us anytime!

If you have any questions about the event, feel free to contact jezzaz or post in the comments below.

Big thanks to the authors who organized this event, and see you all on February 4th!
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I guess they have never seen or heard of Ogg's 50 word stories. He bundles 15 of them to make the 750 word count.

Better be some meat on the bone for me to even consider reading a story that short. I mean, some fucking meat on that bone- not the grissel.... haha 🌹Kant. Sorry, I couldn’t resist the pun. 😜

Interesting. Something written and ready. Now if I can remember that on 1 February.

I think Mr Bulwer-Lytton wrote opening sentences longer than 750 words.

Hm. I just finished the longest thing I've ever written for Literotica. There's a certain symmetry in following it with the shortest thing I could write. I'm in. That is a tight deadline though.

This is definitely worth a try. Just posting here so I'll remember next time I have time for a quickie.

When word processors came along my state afforded 100 words space to summarize what workers did. In 1993 the state expanded the space to 85 lines, in 2005 the space was 40 pages. in 1980 every word hadda do the work, in 2005 it was blabber diarrhea. Most LIT authors cant write honest crap.

And just like that, I've got a draft ready to go! Looking forward to seeing how this pans out!

Entry done. Not enough words for them to fuck, but I got a good amount of foreplay in.

Oh, the announcement is here.

I wonder about the history of the announcement. Was it initially posted to LW? And did it sound like a closed contest? Was there an announcement on the AH that I missed?

The OP post on this thread is the first I knew about it (the exercise). Doesn't sound like the contest is restricted to L/W and there are a lot of us who don't touch L/W here. So, if inclusion was meant, yes, posting the announcement to the AH was helpful.

(I got a blow job and a fuck into mine, and it's essentially a character piece, not an action one.)

Entry done. Not enough words for them to fuck, but I got a good amount of foreplay in.

Oh, the announcement is here.

I wonder about the history of the announcement. Was it initially posted to LW? And did it sound like a closed contest? Was there an announcement on the AH that I missed?

I followed the link to the post. The link for "contact us" regarding ideas for themed events goes to a PM to Laruel. The header on the post indicates it was posted in the 'Incest Taboo' Forum. But the post says all are welcome.

I followed the link to the post. The link for "contact us" regarding ideas for themed events goes to a PM to Laruel. The header on the post indicates it was posted in the 'Incest Taboo' Forum. But the post says all are welcome.
It was posted to I/T on 1/18. It has 18 comments dated 1/17. The tone of those comments were, for the most part, not pleasant.

OK, now I'm confused. The invitation was only posted to the I/T hub before being posted to the AH, but the content of the invitation doesn't specify that the category of the story has to be I/T only. Maybe so. Mine isn't. So, unless that's clarified . . . It's OK if it has to be I/T category; I'll just post mine to the regular file and forego the exercise.

OK, now I'm confused. The invitation was only posted to the I/T hub before being posted to the AH, but the content of the invitation doesn't specify that the category of the story has to be I/T only. Maybe so. Mine isn't. So, unless that's clarified . . . It's OK if it has to be I/T category; I'll just post mine to the regular file and forego the exercise.

Good question. The OP is the text of the post in I/T. It says the event is open to all, but that's as far as it goes.

Is this going to work like the contests, where there's a central page for all stories regardless of category, or is it going to work like the Geek Pride Day event, where all the stories are in one category?

It was posted to I/T on 1/18. It has 18 comments dated 1/17. The tone of those comments were, for the most part, not pleasant.

Yeah, that was quite a cluster bomb...not sure what all the fuss was about :confused: Seems like it was pretty clear "all are invited". Too bad it got off to such a bad start though. Feb 1st...seems enough time to write 750 perfect words. It would be nice to have some clarity on whether or not it is an I/T themed event or an open category challenge. I'm assuming open category at this point.

Yeah, that was quite a cluster bomb...not sure what all the fuss was about :confused: Seems like it was pretty clear "all are invited". Too bad it got off to such a bad start though. Feb 1st...seems enough time to write 750 perfect words. It would be nice to have some clarity on whether or not it is an I/T themed event or an open category challenge. I'm assuming open category at this point.
You might find the promotional "story" gets moved from one category to another, to widen the promotion catch. That's what happened with the Geek Day anthology list - even though all stories in that one were in a single category, the promotion went to other categories. The same happened with Chloe's Oz Anthology, the promo thread moved between categories, as did the list of stories when it appeared (as well as being on Lit's front page).

So I've finished writing mine, but have an odd problem.

I normally use OpenOffice for writing and it shows a word count of 750 (removing the header). However, when I open the same doc using MS Word, the word count drops to 742 and I can't for the life of me figure out why.

Should I add 8 words to bring the MS Word count to the mark? Should I trust OpenOffice? Has anybody faced this before?

Normally, an 8 word mismatch would not bother me. Here, for obvious reasons, it does.

So I've finished writing mine, but have an odd problem.

I normally use OpenOffice for writing and it shows a word count of 750 (removing the header). However, when I open the same doc using MS Word, the word count drops to 742 and I can't for the life of me figure out why.

Should I add 8 words to bring the MS Word count to the mark? Should I trust OpenOffice? Has anybody faced this before?

Normally, an 8 word mismatch would not bother me. Here, for obvious reasons, it does.

I have also figured out why. For some reason, OpenOffice considers "text to be two words. This only happens for text following " and not the other way around. Hence, the below sentence is 6 words in MS Word, but 7 in OpenOffice. It's funny I never noticed this before.

"Oh, yeah! Give it to me.”

So, now the big question is what does Lit count like?

I have also figured out why. For some reason, OpenOffice considers "text to be two words. This only happens for text following " and not the other way around. Hence, the below sentence is 6 words in MS Word, but 7 in OpenOffice. It's funny I never noticed this before.

"Oh, yeah! Give it to me.”

So, now the big question is what does Lit count like?

I cut and pasted your sentence into LibreOffice Writer and it counted six words. OpenOffice and LibreOffice normally behave the same. Maybe a version difference. Maybe a platform difference. Maybe a setting.

I won't participate. Readers don't seem to like short stories, so it seems like a contest to write unpopular prose. Besides, I've done the 50 word challenge before, so there's no question it can be done. And then, I don't have access to Word, so even if I did participate, my story could be disqualified.

Back