Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

It's hard to find time, with football, basketball and hockey all in season.

I'm a west coaster with east coast teams, so I don't have that issue. Am probably going to get NHL Center Ice, soon, just to watch as much Martin Brodeur as I can before he's gone.
 
Zoomie might have a fucking stroke with all these negative reviews.

I have all on the DVR yet to watch any.

Ha! :D

Haters can go eat hot bowls of cocks. If you ain't into this show by now, stop bitching, get a bowl of Jell-O and go watch something else. I'm a Marvel kid from jump and this joint is ALL about the infrastructure of S.H.I.E.L.D.

While I can see the trope concessions to the general Big Gulp soft drink drinking TV audience being made, they're keeping it on point and turning up the notch with every episode. Plus, if you're like me and need something to munch on between now and the next Avengers flick, this is as good as it gets.

I believe the second season is already signed off on. Here's what the show should be grooving off of:

1) Skye's blacklisted background in connection with S.H.I.E.L.D. (this could be dragged out for a while, it seems)
2) Coulson's resurrection (possible robot or clone) and the "magical" Tahiti thing
3) Making A.I.M. a central antagonist

The show's at its best when they're being comic book-techy. The slow burn of the reveals and casual, intermittent Avengers movie tie-ins make for a good rhythm. Last night's episode showcasing The Hub with Agent Hand was sweet. We need to see more of the organization, its tech and its reaches.

Also, I'm counting down all the tells for Ultron. ;)
 
I'm enjoying it to a degree, but I keep finding myself shouting, "get on with it!"

It's about as good as Buffy season one, so I'm hoping for the best.

But Agent Block of Ward has got to go.
 
I think it's better than Buffy S1, even as a Buffy fan S1 was kinda poor with way too much filler for a twelve episode season and all the 'hi my name is' left to do.

This show seems to keep wandering around between getting better and plataeuing, I'm really excited about next week since it carries off the plot of Thor: Dark World and I'm really interested to see how exactly all of this ties together. Say what you want about Marvel they have done an amazing job of branding the last four or five years.

We've got 2 of the Six Infinity Gems revealed and I can only assume that when Dr. STrange gets his flick that we'll get a third (if they haven't unleashed a third by then.)

Thanos you purple Death Loving son of a bitch! We're coming for you! In 2018 or some shit like that. . .can we get Black Panther? I don't even care if it's super Racist and has him fight that albino gorilla son of a bitch at this point.
 
I want to love this show. I really do. It just falls really flat for me, and I read an Avengers title every month.
 
If you're a fan of superhero tv, marvel products and have netflix or thinking about getting netflix.. this should persuade you a bit.

Announcement

4 Superheroes each get their own 13 episode series, followed by a group mini-series.

And the way Netflix produced television shows are going, this is going to be gold, and I don't even like Daredevil, dolphin powers is stupid.
 
The problem with this show is simple enough to explain:

1. A weekly TV series can't possibly have the scope or production values of one of the Marvel movies, so it has to survive on plot or (better yet) characterization. Unfortunately

2. The characters aren't very interesting.

And while its existence in the greater Marvel universe helped the show initially, now they're left with the question of why Coulson has gone from chilling with the Avengers to the more penny-ante crap we see here weekly.

It's not a terrible show, and Whedon shows have a way of figuring themselves out eventually (even Dollhouse managed that once everyone involved realized they were getting canceled and knew they needed to wrap it up). But it's hardly a can't-miss at this point.
 
Anyone watching it?

It isn't bad. Plus, it's got the adorable and sexy Agent Simmons.

FZZT-Agents-of-SHIELD-06.jpg
Yes I have. http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=932041

But Lola is hawter.
 
Last edited:
I think it's better than Buffy S1, even as a Buffy fan S1 was kinda poor with way too much filler for a twelve episode season and all the 'hi my name is' left to do.

Buffy S1 was made on a shoe-string budget and wasn't even intended as a series. The only thing that saved it from instant oblivion was Joss Whedon's immense talent as a story teller/director and the fact that he never let lack of resources limit his ambitions. He basically created one of the most influential TV series ever made out of little more than raw talent, enthusiasm and pocket lint.

Today Joss has millions available at the snap of a finger - after Avengers he can pretty much write his own checks - so you'd expect SHIELD to be like Buffy except without the embarrassing special effects and cheap sets.

And true enough - the sets are great, the effects are top notch and the whole thing looks awesome, but now the story sucks. :(

And the casting compared to Buffy? Yes Sarah Michelle Gellar wasn't exactly bad for the eyes and Charisma Carpenter was seriously hot, but you never had the impression that anybody were cast for their looks alone. Joss was clearly going after specific types - like Alyson Hannigan as a geek girl for instance. She was never unattractive in any way but she totally looked and acted the part.

In SHIELD everybody (except for Colson, who is needed for the Avengers tie-in) is a hot chick or a hunk and clearly hired for that reason alone.

Need a geek girl? Hire a swimsuit model and slap a pair of glasses on her - boom, instant geek girl.

Need a tough special forces super agent? Hire a Speedo model and tell him to emulate Clint Eastwood as best he can - boom, instant tough special forces super agent.

If you're catering to the geek crowd you can't get away with stuff like that. People connected with the characters of Buffy because they were "real" (which is a funny thing to say about a vampire drama), but nobody can connect with the characters of SHIELD. It's a total watch and forget show.


No, I fear that Joss Whedon has lost his drive. It happens to many highly talented people when they get established and comfortable - look at George Lucas and Ridley Scott for instance... hell even Albert Einstein peaked before he was 30.

Of course he was involved in Cabin In The Woods which was totally Whedon'esque in the best sense of the word, so maybe there's still hope...
 
Last edited:
I don't think the casting/acting is nearly that bad.

I agree that Buffy S1 was done on bare bones budget, I'm however not the person who started the comparison complete with a season number.
 
It's on my DVR and I watch it, but I definitely wouldn't shed a tear if it was cancelled.
 
It's like any emerging new tech.

People are cool with the first gen version.

By version 3.0, heads wanting in on the scene will be coming in trying to figure out why they didn't get on board from jump even though it doesn't matter when the product has been made better.

Still entertaining, tropes and all. Next ep is ton' be sweet.
 
...but nobody can connect with the characters of SHIELD. It's a total watch and forget show.

Aside from the painfully tedious pacing and the lackluster writing, I'm finding that's one of the main issues I'm having with the show. The characters/actors have zero charisma, and they've made pretty much no effort to adequately flesh out personalities to the point where I give a damn about any of them. That's a problem.

And then they went and bolded and underlined that problem by, just a half dozen episodes in, trying to create an intense dramatic moment around Fitz, or Simmons - I don't know which one is the chick because, again, they're all so mind-numbingly lifeless and generic characters that I can't even seem to learn their names - catching some alien virus that was going to make her explode. Seriously? Was anyone supposed to give a shit? First of all, this isn't Game of Thrones we're talking about, where main characters get killed off pretty much at the drop of a hat, so that immediately nullifies the tension behind the threat of will the character live or die. Secondly, there hasn't even been a full season of the show, much less an appropriate period of time for the audience to build any sort of connection to or affinity for these characters. So, would it even matter if they killed off any of these people? Actually, if they had killed her, that might have sparked my interest, because it would've suggested they had the balls to stop dropping characters GoT style. And I could totally get on board for that.

I really wanted the show to be good. I wanted to believe Whedon could still do great things. But even though I promised to give the show a full season before I'd write it off, I'm not sure I can keep watching this shit. I mean, I was always a Marvel geek, but how telling is it that Arrow - a rather Smallville-esque show, though somewhat darker and more serious, about a B-tier DC character - is infinitely more watchable than what should've been an orgy of Marvel superhero awesomeness spearheaded by the guy behind shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Firefly? What the fuck?!
 
It's like any emerging new tech.

People are cool with the first gen version.

By version 3.0, heads wanting in on the scene will be coming in trying to figure out why they didn't get on board from jump even though it doesn't matter when the product has been made better.

Still entertaining, tropes and all. Next ep is ton' be sweet.

i doubt it.
 
I think he means the DVR not the show.

I already can't really fathom how I got by without DVR and/or Netflix. There are just too many shows that should never be watched week by week without pause or being able to go back. 24, I'm talking about you.

As for the show I like it, I don't love it. It's good for it that it doesn't conflict with anything (well it conflicts with the Originals but that's one something and thank you DVR I can "watch" 2 shows at once!
 
to be more positive, the limey chick is fucking adorable. i just want to give her a big, friendly hug and then stick my penis in her.
 
just like heroes. take off you blinders, yo.

Heroes did not get better. Heroes was meant to be a one season show of pure awesome and they just kept going until they broke everything in the universe, twice. I get why that show lasted as long as it did but it's mostly that people are deeply retarded.
 
just like heroes. take off you blinders, yo.

Heroes did not get better. Heroes was meant to be a one season show of pure awesome and they just kept going until they broke everything in the universe, twice. I get why that show lasted as long as it did but it's mostly that people are deeply retarded.

Heroes....ugggggggggh.

Might as well bring up "The Cape." :D
 
Back
Top