As The Hospital Pervs

Status
Not open for further replies.
nurse-1950s.jpg

I think sexy things about you. A lot.

nurse-1950s.jpg

I think sexy things about you. A lot.
December, I can't 'leave you here to bleed' and there is something hot about that. I can't figure it out, and I doubt you want me to.

I see an arterial bleed, the spurting kind and I am applying manual pressure and my anxiety level is rising, and the adrenaline is killing my body in waves like the beat of the pump of that artery that is driven by heart beats. Everything is red like the womb in your bed.
:heart:

What the fuck. He called and I couldn't answer the phone. Now what do I do? I can't call back. He sounds like he just woke up after being out all night! Helpppp me.

Should I just listen to the voicemail over and over again and never call back?

That would be a janey-thing-to-do.

What the fuck. He called and I couldn't answer the phone. Now what do I do? I can't call back. He sounds like he just woke up after being out all night! Helpppp me.

Hire a answering service.

December, I can't 'leave you here to bleed' and there is something hot about that. I can't figure it out, and I doubt you want me to.

I see an arterial bleed, the spurting kind and I am applying manual pressure and my anxiety level is rising, and the adrenaline is killing my body in waves like the beat of the pump of that artery that is driven by heart beats. Everything is red like the womb in your bed.
:heart:

This is one of the top five hottest posts ever made on the GB imo. :heart:

Call him back. Guys don't think about stuff that much. It would never cross his mind to wonder why she's calling me.

I'm am temporarily mad at all floor nurses. Got a complaint today because I made a cranky Old Nurse do her job correctly before she left for the day. Just because its shift change doesn't mean I have to finish her Job. I will go down to the ER and get a couple hugs and be over It.

This is one of the top five hottest posts ever made on the GB imo. :heart:
:heart: hotness! :heart:
I think it is the rhythm. I am lucky I get to palpate pulses. I can't touch my own, it is strange. I get freaked.

Once during an emergency situation the doc was trying to get a central line into the femoral vein of a patient. He missed and got the artery. The catheter was bouncing and we all just stared at it for a few minutes: wow! That must be in the artery. The doc didn't advance naturally, we had to start over.

Here is a video of a misplaced central venous catheter into an artery. You can see the blood return pulsating.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7QMalteTqA

I'm am temporarily mad at all floor nurses. Got a complaint today because I made a cranky Old Nurse do her job correctly before she left for the day. Just because its shift change doesn't mean I have to finish her Job. I will go down to the ER and get a couple hugs and be over It.

I'm over it now.
Awwa I am glad you are not keeping the anger inside. There are therapeutic methods to get rid of that work stress, ya know. ;)

Happy you are over it! Here is the deal: it is a twenty four hour job, and shift change takes thirty minutes, sometimes more depending on the night nurse. It is a twelve point five hour day, on a good day. Fuck there have been shifts that start at 7am and I can't clock out till 9pm. So if it is not an emergency, well: I give report to the night nurse and rock out. I think it depends on the scenario. Were you picking a patient up for transport?

That being said, I try and make sure everything is done before the witching hour that is shift change. I anticipate the loss of control during that time and am prepared for it. Everyone is fluffed, organized, medicated, clean and hopefully stable.

I have had way too many shifts where 6:55pm rolls up and all hell breaks loose. The older folks are sun-downing and getting crazy, the younger folks start circling the drain, the techs are on the lunch that they didn't get all day and the evening clerk wants dinner. ICU wants to STAT transfer their stable patients they have been holding all day, and the ER is on the line for report. The nursing supervisor wants to know: how many in restraints, how many close observations, and how many open beds are there, and where is house-keeping? The night nurses don't like the assignment board and what the fuck is going on? And now there is SVT so get the code cart and you got to be fucking joking right?

waaa waaaa that was a damn bitch fest on my part. ew.
:heart::heart: I am happy you feel better. I won't be a cranky nurse, I hardly ever am. :heart::heart:

How do you guys cope with the stress when a patient usddenly unexpectedly tanks? I am trying to support a friend who is a nurse who just experience her first lighting strike trainwreck. The patient survived but she was so distressed she was ready to quit nursing for good.

How do you guys cope with the stress when a patient usddenly unexpectedly tanks? I am trying to support a friend who is a nurse who just experience her first lighting strike trainwreck. The patient survived but she was so distressed she was ready to quit nursing for good.
Hello. It is difficult. A lot of nurses are drinkers or popping pills in the benzo family<< that is not my advice.

I remember my first year as a nurse, I cried so much. Two weeks off of internship, fresh on my own, my patient coded and died. I was so busy. The patient had multiple co-morbitities and had a procedure with moderate sedation done at the bedside. I was running down the hall to pass meds to someone else, I saw the patient ripping off the gown getting naked. I said to another nurse in the hall: can you go put the gown back on my patient? Next thing I hear: Code Blue, PCU, Code Blue, PCU. I was in another room. My heart dropped to my knees and I knew right away, that was my patient. The room was filled with people. Full blown resuscitation in front of my face. As the primary nurse I was expected to know everything: What was the potassium level? What is the past medical history? I couldn't talk, the intensive-ist gave up on me. I didn't know shit, and if I did I couldn't present it. I handed my papers to another nurse that had information on it, including labs but it didn't matter. The family was wailing in the hallway.

I lied to the patient. When the patient was alive: I told the patient: Everything is going to be ok. It wasn't fucking ok. Nothing was ok. The patient was dead. When the effort was over I was left to an empty room with my dead patient. Desperately trying to clean up the look of violence that is advanced cardiac life support. I pulled all the lines that didn't help. I cleaned up the floor with all the empty boxes that contained emergency medications. I changed the top sheet and led in the family.

Then you go home. Nobody knows. It takes: How was your day honey? To a whole new level. The answer is: I don't know, it was good.

I let guilt tear me up for a long time. I was so mad at myself for the lie. I couldn't let that go. I didn't listen to my patient. My patient was afraid, there was something wrong. I didn't listen. I started writing. I went home and started writing.
---

I hope your friend doesn't quit. The first year is the hardest, it gets manageable. The coping mechanisms change. I searched for mentorship from experienced nurses. The value of that mentoring is not to be underestimated. It is the best tool we can use. I found it in many experienced nurses. I still love my Fave ICU nurse for it, and many others.

After a little experience, your friend will learn to anticipate and prioritize. It goes along the lines of critical thinking skills they teach in school, but you don't learn until experience develops it. Then the nurse almost sees the train wreck coming, even when it happens fast, turning on a dime.

Coping comes in many ways, in small packages and very dark humor. Sometimes I rip runners in my nylons, or secretly perv. We flirt with our co-workers, drink coffee and eat cookies. We make friends and support each other, because we sink alone. I once found myself knocking knees with my Fave ICU RN during a code, talking crazy, and wow we are banging it out like routine. Someones on the chest doing compressions, someones bag ventilating the airway, and I got my leg making contact with his leg and I am slapping on the pads for the defibrillator like I have been doing this all my life. He is pushing me back and telling everyone what to do. What a difference a few years makes.

Talking with co-workers helps, we are always talking: Remember when? Remember when this happened? It lightens the load, and teaches at the same time. The worse thing your friend can do is keep it inside and try and make it alone. The best thing your friend can do is become part of the team on the unit. Tell everyone what is going on with the patients. Know what is going on with the other patients, even when they are not hers. It will quicken the learning process. Talking about it reminds us we are not alone.

Nurses have a bad reputation for 'eating their young.' But your friend won't be 'young' for long, she just has to hang on.

Taking care of yourself also helps. The bubble baths. Remind your friend if it were easy everybody would be doing it. It is a hard job but it is so worth it. I wouldn't do anything else for money.

It is hard when the outcome is bad. Let your friend know that the nature of acute care is unstable. When the outcome is good- it is something that we often forget, but what a great thing it is. And sometimes no matter how good the nursing care is, or how great the doctor is: the patient can tank, and it can happen fast and sometimes it is not preventable. It is hard to leave the job at the door, but it is possible to take the good out the door with you, and store the bad for future reference.
:eek: I hope I am not rambling on here...
To summarize: coping mechanisms: write, talk, write, teamwork, humor, self-care, humor, write, perv! talk, mentor, write a secret nurse blog to journal the experience. I look back at my writing and am astonished at my own growth.

Mentor: get a mentor and then after experience: mentor someone else. It is the see one, do one, teach one theory.

Hello. It is difficult. A lot of nurses are drinkers or popping pills in the benzo family<< that is not my advice.

I remember my first year as a nurse, I cried so much. Two weeks off of internship, fresh on my own, my patient coded and died. I was so busy. The patient had multiple co-morbitities and had a procedure with moderate sedation done at the bedside. I was running down the hall to pass meds to someone else, I saw the patient ripping off the gown getting naked. I said to another nurse in the hall: can you go put the gown back on my patient? Next thing I hear: Code Blue, PCU, Code Blue, PCU. I was in another room. My heart dropped to my knees and I knew right away, that was my patient. The room was filled with people. Full blown resuscitation in front of my face. As the primary nurse I was expected to know everything: What was the potassium level? What is the past medical history? I couldn't talk, the intensive-ist gave up on me. I didn't know shit, and if I did I couldn't present it. I handed my papers to another nurse that had information on it, including labs but it didn't matter. The family was wailing in the hallway.

I lied to the patient. When the patient was alive: I told the patient: Everything is going to be ok. It wasn't fucking ok. Nothing was ok. The patient was dead. When the effort was over I was left to an empty room with my dead patient. Desperately trying to clean up the look of violence that is advanced cardiac life support. I pulled all the lines that didn't help. I cleaned up the floor with all the empty boxes that contained emergency medications. I changed the top sheet and led in the family.

Then you go home. Nobody knows. It takes: How was your day honey? To a whole new level. The answer is: I don't know, it was good.

I let guilt tear me up for a long time. I was so mad at myself for the lie. I couldn't let that go. I didn't listen to my patient. My patient was afraid, there was something wrong. I didn't listen. I started writing. I went home and started writing.
---

I hope your friend doesn't quit. The first year is the hardest, it gets manageable. The coping mechanisms change. I searched for mentorship from experienced nurses. The value of that mentoring is not to be underestimated. It is the best tool we can use. I found it in many experienced nurses. I still love my Fave ICU nurse for it, and many others.

After a little experience, your friend will learn to anticipate and prioritize. It goes along the lines of critical thinking skills they teach in school, but you don't learn until experience develops it. Then the nurse almost sees the train wreck coming, even when it happens fast, turning on a dime.

Coping comes in many ways, in small packages and very dark humor. Sometimes I rip runners in my nylons, or secretly perv. We flirt with our co-workers, drink coffee and eat cookies. We make friends and support each other, because we sink alone. I once found myself knocking knees with my Fave ICU RN during a code, talking crazy, and wow we are banging it out like routine. Someones on the chest doing compressions, someones bag ventilating the airway, and I got my leg making contact with his leg and I am slapping on the pads for the defibrillator like I have been doing this all my life. He is pushing me back and telling everyone what to do. What a difference a few years makes.

Talking with co-workers helps, we are always talking: Remember when? Remember when this happened? It lightens the load, and teaches at the same time. The worse thing your friend can do is keep it inside and try and make it alone. The best thing your friend can do is become part of the team on the unit. Tell everyone what is going on with the patients. Know what is going on with the other patients, even when they are not hers. It will quicken the learning process. Talking about it reminds us we are not alone.

Nurses have a bad reputation for 'eating their young.' But your friend won't be 'young' for long, she just has to hang on.

Taking care of yourself also helps. The bubble baths. Remind your friend if it were easy everybody would be doing it. It is a hard job but it is so worth it. I wouldn't do anything else for money.

It is hard when the outcome is bad. Let your friend know that the nature of acute care is unstable. When the outcome is good- it is something that we often forget, but what a great thing it is. And sometimes no matter how good the nursing care is, or how great the doctor is: the patient can tank, and it can happen fast and sometimes it is not preventable. It is hard to leave the job at the door, but it is possible to take the good out the door with you, and store the bad for future reference.
:eek: I hope I am not rambling on here...
To summarize: coping mechanisms: write, talk, write, teamwork, humor, self-care, humor, write, perv! talk, mentor, write a secret nurse blog to journal the experience. I look back at my writing and am astonished at my own growth.

Mentor: get a mentor and then after experience: mentor someone else. It is the see one, do one, teach one theory.

i really appreciate the time and thought you have put into this answer. :rose::kiss:I am a pretty large part of her support system and medicine is not my area. Your advice will be valuable. A lot of it is stuff I told her. I suggested self care and talking to the other nurses who had similar experience. By the sounds of it, the other nurses in her section are pretty good and helpful. I think she'll get through it and hopefully learn something to help her the next time.

i really appreciate the time and thought you have put into this answer. :rose::kiss:I am a pretty large part of her support system and medicine is not my area. Your advice will be valuable. A lot of it is stuff I told her. I suggested self care and talking to the other nurses who had similar experience. By the sounds of it, the other nurses in her section are pretty good and helpful. I think she'll get through it and hopefully learn something to help her the next time.
:rose::rose::rose: Now I will be silly!

Coping mechanisms:

Don't forget to take your heart with you when you leave the bedside.

Love, serve, leave.

This is often true for your lovers bedside too.

~Paging Sweepthefloor, you're wanted in the nurses lounge, someone has something for you.~

Oh fuck! The PA is in a room inserting NG tube.
He's saying loud as fuck: Swallow, swallow, swallow it.

Not my patient but I stopped quick on my feet and into the room to see if he needed assistance.

He's fuckable.

I just sat in the chair. I might have an orgasm or something.

Good girls go home on Saturday night. I'm not going to be good. I have 40 minutes to change my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back