I need to trim off 10 pounds fairly quick.

Five_Inch_Heels

Unexpected
I've already dropped quite a bit, but I seem to be stuck at a plateau and haven't changed much in a week or so. I walk a couple of miles a day and jog/run part of it. I try to stay active for much of the rest of the day, but get stuck inside due to weather sometimes. Then I try to use a treadmill or stationary bike a couple of times a day.

I cut out most junk food for the most part and stay with rice, beans, some greens and other veggies, pork, chicken, salmon and so on.

Drinks are mostly unsweetened like coffee and milk. Sometimes some juices, but no sugary prepared drinks.

I'd really like to drop another 10 lbs in the next month if possible.

I've already dropped quite a bit, but I seem to be stuck at a plateau and haven't changed much in a week or so. I walk a couple of miles a day and jog/run part of it. I try to stay active for much of the rest of the day, but get stuck inside due to weather sometimes. Then I try to use a treadmill or stationary bike a couple of times a day.

I cut out most junk food for the most part and stay with rice, beans, some greens and other veggies, pork, chicken, salmon and so on.

Drinks are mostly unsweetened like coffee and milk. Sometimes some juices, but no sugary prepared drinks.

often times the body hits a plateau because it gets sued to the activity you are doing and the foods you eat. Try mixing up your exercise a little do some jumping jack, push ups, jump rope, find something the body is not expecting.

Also you could try a 24 hour fast. let your body reset itself for a day and maybe you'll kick it back into gear.

Just some of my thoughts.

J

Don't eat anything white
I know it sounds simplistic but it works. No potatoes, bread, sugar, etc.
Just eat protein and veggies.

Try mixing up your exercise a little do some jumping jack, push ups, jump rope, find something the body is not expecting.

Also you could try a 24 hour fast. let your body reset itself for a day and maybe you'll kick it back into gear.

I've tried some of that, also tried different foods, more for variety of taste than anything.

Don't eat anything white
I know it sounds simplistic but it works. No potatoes, bread, sugar, etc.
Just eat protein and veggies.

I don't do too much. Breads are whole wheat if any at all. Rice is the big thing because it goes with so much, but I also use brown rice when possible.

Sweets are limited despite a sweet tooth that demands satisfaction sometimes. Bought some artificial sweetener I'm trying which isn't too bad so far.

Oatmeal in the mornings with some sort of fruit.

I've tried some of that, also tried different foods, more for variety of taste than anything.

I don't do too much. Breads are whole wheat if any at all. Rice is the big thing because it goes with so much, but I also use brown rice when possible.

Sweets are limited despite a sweet tooth that demands satisfaction sometimes. Bought some artificial sweetener I'm trying which isn't too bad so far.

Oatmeal in the mornings with some sort of fruit.

More sex then.. burns tons of calories and is fun too ;)

One thing is, I can feel some differences. Smaller clothes fit or fit better for example. I guess some of the fat is burning off even if the scale doesn't show it. Muscle weighs more, right?

One thing is, I can feel some differences. Smaller clothes fit or fit better for example. I guess some of the fat is burning off even if the scale doesn't show it. Muscle weighs more, right?

yes very much so it can be deceiving if you only look to the scale for answers. If you feel your cloths fitting better then your still having success. I'll be happy to check you out if you need an opinion. hehe

A week of not changing is nothing. Weight fluctuates upto five pounds in a day. Additionally, some weeks you lose weight, some weeks you won't. Be a bit patient as your body readjusts :).

Are you eating enough? I know it sounds counter-intuitive but if you're not eating enough, you will often hit a plateau as your body goes into starvation mode. In other words, in order to lose weight, you need to make sure your body is fuelled. I would suggest finding an online app (sparkspeople or myfitnesspal) and putting in your digits and seeing the recommended caloric range. Then you record everything that goes into your mouth and ensuring your stay within that range.

It's also possible that the weight you are at is your natural weight. And, I cannot emphasise this enough, but numbers on a scale means nothing. Weight is a combination of age, bones, organs, muscle mass, water and fat (and yes, you need a health percentage of fat). Somethings you cannot change. Your tissues, for example, may be denser, causing you to be thin but weigh a bit more. Only a doctor can truly tell you what your ideal weight range should be, and they will take all of the above into consideration. So, who knows, you may actually be at your ideal weight. :)

Good luck.

Everyone here has given you some very sound advice. It is natural to plateau. To get over it you must up your game. Increase the intensity of your exercise, orbit crease the duration of your exercise, and reduce your caloric intake. This will reduce your body fat. However, you need to consume enough calories to avoid placing your body into a starvation mode where you slow down your metabolism. Ditch the rice, it is a bad, BAD food.

Ten pounds in one month seems like a lot. I guess it depends on your body type and metabolism.

But I lose weight really really slowly. I lost 17 pounds recently, but it took me, oh wow, 15 months? Good news is losing it slower means that I have kept it off.

I would second ditching the rice. Try replacing it with quinoa instead.

If your goal is to find where you're wasting calories, try to reduce anything that serves no purpose. The nutrients you're getting from milk and juice could found in foods that are lower fat/sugar while adding nutrient punch.

Pork isn't really the other white meat. It's no better for you than beef.

and I agree with Fire about food logs. If you think you've cut out "most junk foods," there is a chance that you're not fully aware of where you can alter your intake. You might consider getting a fitness monitor that will help you keep track of how much energy you use. It's possible that the reason you've hit a plateau is that you're eating the calories necessary to maintain your current weight at your current activity level.

I switched to rice to get off the pasta and potatoes. I need something to feel full and satisfy the hunger. I usually add peas or green beans and chicken or some kind of fish. Maybe add some salsa for flavoring. Sometimes some spinach.

Seems to be working for me for the most part.

Better than spaghetti or macaroni and cheese!

My big weak spot is cheese. I have to have my cheese!

Weather should be decent for the next few days, so I hope to get outside and do a few things that have been on hold. That should help burn some off.

There really isn't much junk food here to eat. I don't keep chips or cookies on hand for the most part. I do have some holiday treats lined up for that week however but will try to spread things out and not do a big pig out.

Carbs and sugars are the real killers...as someone else said, cut out the white stuff, including the almost white stuff like brown rice and "whole wheat" bread. Hang in there.

According to all the charts and whatever I've found, I was 30 or more over ideal ranges. Varied some based on which chart. I could feel it too. Sluggish and lumpy. Last summer, I could make a puddle just standing still outside some days - clothes would get soaked doing nothing but light yard work.

One other problem I had when I trimmed down a couple of years ago was flab after the fat burned off. I could never get trim and toned, there was always some looseness. Before I made any progress there something (can't remember what) put me off my Mojo and I just simply stopped doing anything to try to burn it off. Wasn't even walking or using the treadmill or bike.

Ballooned back up again over the next year or two. Didn't even realize it for some reason until bigger clothes started being tight again.

Then I started getting motivated again. That was about six months ago and I've probably dropped about half (or more) of the overage. I have a target I'm going for. Then we'll see about lowering the target.

goats milk cheeses will be easier for you to digest and are less likely to cause internal inflammation like some other cheeses. It also tends to have less salt.. which is good. If you're not afraid of it, making fresh mozzarella is pretty easy and a fun way to spend a Saturday morning :)

If you're not afraid of it, making fresh mozzarella is pretty easy and a fun way to spend a Saturday morning :)

Hmmm, I might have to look that up. I use that on top of things to add variety. I also get single pizza crusts and make them using pasta sauces, lean meats and veggies, so Mozz is good there.

My real weaknesses are sharp cheddar and swiss. I try to keep some of those on hand at all times if I get the munchies.

I keep wondering about 'diet' concoctions. I know most are them are snake oil and stay away from them. Slim Fast was good for a while and was one of my go-to summer drinks. But they changed the formula and bottle sizes and jacked the prices up, so I dropped them.

I use daily vitamins, but that's about it. If I could find a useful fat-burner supplement that didn't break your bank account or make you grow a third eye, I might try it.

I won't mention any specific numbers, but just refer to target increments.

Scale this morning finally shows the next downward increment. Wonder if it will hold by the end of the day?

One other problem I had when I trimmed down a couple of years ago was flab after the fat burned off. I could never get trim and toned, there was always some looseness. Before I made any progress there something (can't remember what) put me off my Mojo and I just simply stopped doing anything to try to burn it off. Wasn't even walking or using the treadmill or bike.
Weight training. You're welcome.

Don't have the tools or facilities for that. And don't want to bulk up, just tone and trim.

I do what lifting and carrying I can instead of using carts, even if I have to make several more trips. The flab is in the gut though, not so much in arms and legs. So, with that in mind, I try to do bending and twisting to work that area.

Don't have the tools or facilities for that. And don't want to bulk up, just tone and trim.

It is really important to do some kind of strength training in which you push to failure. That is where the shower of good chemicals is released by the body. You don't need equipment. Try following the Army Physical Training Manual. They've been getting people into shape quickly for years.

http://www.goarmy.com/content/dam/goarmy/downloaded_assets/pt_guide/pocket-pt-guide.pdf

That's a very wrong concept people have in their head. Weight training doesn't necessarily mean "bulking up". A lot of bulking up depends on the weight, diet and the type of exercise regimen you're following.

Gaining a bit of muscles will speed up the process of losing weight and make your body toned at the same time. Most importantly, a bit of strength always comes in handy when you're strangling your SO for ruining important paperwork with pointless scribblings. ;)

The app/site myfitnesspal is great for tracking activity and food (sugar, protein etc).

You're not gonna "tone and trim" by being a cardio bunny. Women don't produce enough testosterone to "bulk up."

But, hey, you do what you wanna do. :)

Well, for whatever it's worth, something is working. Scale shows 4 lbs less than it did when I started this thread. Though as noted, that can vary quite a bit daily.

The test is that I just got into another target clothing item, fully zipped. It's tight, but just three or four days ago, I couldn't get it zipped at all.

I have a couple more target items hanging around the house on doors and cabinets as visible incentives.

Back