Gay and Conservative?

Mqoi

Literotica Guru
Well, I'm more Bi, but still conservative politically. Just wondering if there were any more conservative LBGT folks around.

Da fuck does that have to do with being liberal or conservative? Or vice versa. Geez,American conservatives are just one of a kind.

Da fuck does that have to do with being liberal or conservative? Or vice versa. Geez,American conservatives are just one of a kind.

In the recent past, it has had a lot to do with whether one is conservative vs liberal...(think; being in a small mid-west town with a strong fundamental Christian population ;) ) It still plays a big part in whether a conservative can be "out" or must remain in the closet. This is simply a fact of life for many lgbtq folks. The thing is, one can't change being gay just because they are politically conservative. I think this is starting to change in small increments...but it's still risky for them. People have died over this shit.

It doesn't apply to me since I'm very much on the liberal side of the fence...but, I can easily empathize with those who hold strong conservative ideologies and yet are lgbtq.

In the recent past, it has had a lot to do with whether one is conservative vs liberal...(think; being in a small mid-west town with a strong fundamental Christian population ;) ) It still plays a big part in whether a conservative can be "out" or must remain in the closet. This is simply a fact of life for many lgbtq folks. The thing is, one can't change being gay just because they are politically conservative. I think this is starting to change in small increments...but it's still risky for them. People have died over this shit.

It doesn't apply to me since I'm very much on the liberal side of the fence...but, I can easily empathize with those who hold strong conservative ideologies and yet are lgbtq.

All true, and I totally understand and sympathize. He didn't ask about being "out" and conservative though. Just gay and conservative..thus my response.

... People have died over this shit. It doesn't apply to me since I'm very much on the liberal side of the fence...but, I can easily empathize with those who hold strong conservative ideologies and yet are lgbtq.

I would say the vast majority of the people who have died have been victims of the ideology of Islam. The silence of many in the leftist gay community over the horiffic abuse of homosexuals in the Moslem world is no less disgusting for its being puzzling.

BTW, whatever their personal tastes may be, any consistent politically conservative person would want to keep government out of the bedrooms of consenting adults.

One of the reasons I asked is a friend of mine was recently told by a liberal that as long as he is a conservative he couldn't be gay. He's been out ever since I've known him. I've overheard other LBGT folk make similar remarks. It kind of makes me wonder "WTH?" How can someone preach tolerance yet not practice it?

As for being out, I haven't jumped out in public proclaiming that I'm bi. I believe that's something that's not anyone else's business unless we're sleeping together. But, if I'm asked, I don't deny it anymore either.

I agree about Islam and the silence over it's treatment of homosexuals.

I'm a gay male, and conservative!

But I'm a cool conservative I'm not like a regular conservative :cool:

I would say the vast majority of the people who have died have been victims of the ideology of Islam. The silence of many in the leftist gay community over the horiffic abuse of homosexuals in the Moslem world is no less disgusting for its being puzzling.
People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones (by which I mean the US, not you in particular).

I would say you're likely wrong, or at least that Christianity is no slouch in that department either. The latter has a looong history of persecuting LGBTQ people, and this persecution continues today in the US to such an extent that people are killed regularly because of their sexual orientation or gender identity.

Some countries that claim Islam as a majority religion have pretty sordid human rights records, but so do secular or officially atheist countries. When the US pays lip service to human rights but continues to actively support these countries (e.g. Iran in the days of the Shah, Iraq under Hussein, Saudi Arabia) as a matter of political expediency, it loses some credibility in the name-calling department.

BTW, whatever their personal tastes may be, any consistent politically conservative person would want to keep government out of the bedrooms of consenting adults.
When the government gets into bed with the evangelical right to allow LBGTQ people to be fired from their jobs or denied housing or government services in the name of promoting 'religious liberty' (which is, in effect, breaching the wall of church and state by promoting the policies of a particular religion) then it is not letting you go about your own business, but rather is actively interfering in your ability to live your life on an equal footing with other people because of what you do in the bedroom and with whom you do it.

When so-called 'religious leaders' in the US actively make statements that suggest violence against LGBTQ people is appropriate or justified, and government officials hold state dinners for those people, assign them to high offices and form task forces made up of them, don't be surprised when you find your own rights curtailed.

Most Christians I know take the live and let live attitude and let God worry about it. I'm Christian and have always been bi. They can be compatible.

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones (by which I mean the US, not you in particular).

I would say you're likely wrong, or at least that Christianity is no slouch in that department either. The latter has a looong history of persecuting LGBTQ people, and this persecution continues today in the US to such an extent that people are killed regularly because of their sexual orientation or gender identity.

Not to mention places like Uganda, where US-based evangelical Christianity has had a major role in supporting homophobic laws.

Some countries that claim Islam as a majority religion have pretty sordid human rights records, but so do secular or officially atheist countries. When the US pays lip service to human rights but continues to actively support these countries (e.g. Iran in the days of the Shah, Iraq under Hussein, Saudi Arabia) as a matter of political expediency, it loses some credibility in the name-calling department.

This, and also:

When an American makes noise about LGBT rights in America, that's helpful for LGBT people. Public officials have at least some incentive to do the things that their constituents want them to do.

When an American makes noise about LGBT rights in Iran, or Syria, or other majority-Muslim countries that have a long history of unfriendly Western meddling... that's very often the opposite of helpful. Those governments aren't trying to win your votes, and it just makes it easier for them to scapegoat their LGBT people: "this is a Western perversion", etc. etc. In many of these countries it is very easy to make a political argument that "if Americans want us to do this, we should do the opposite".

So for a Westerner who genuinely cares about the situation of LGBT people in such countries, that kind of virtue signalling is more likely to hurt than help. I can do more good by looking for the LGBT activists who already exist within those countries, people who have a much better grasp of the local situation than you or I ever will, and giving strength to their arm.

Mostly that means giving money (as always, due diligence applies). I certainly hope all y'all who care so much about LGBT rights in Muslim countries are willing to do something more for that cause than just talking about it, because talk is cheap.

Most Christians I know take the live and let live attitude and let God worry about it. I'm Christian and have always been bi. They can be compatible.
I don't deny it. Sadly, the it's the hateful ones on the extreme right that are becoming increasingly identified with 'Christians' in the minds of most non-Christians.

I don't deny it. Sadly, the it's the hateful ones on the extreme right that are becoming increasingly identified with 'Christians' in the minds of most non-Christians.

Extremism in any form is never a good thing. It tends to make people close minded. We're all different, but we're all human. That's one of the beautiful things about life. Christ had a good message. It's a shame that too many came after him that just couldn't leave it alone.

Extremism in any form is never a good thing. It tends to make people close minded. We're all different, but we're all human. That's one of the beautiful things about life. Christ had a good message. It's a shame that too many came after him that just couldn't leave it alone.

Or is it the other way around...closed minds lead to extremism?

I'm going to hazard a guess and say their thought was 'how can someone who knows what it's like to be different, discriminated against, and the subject of stereotypes, support a political system that is inherently slanted to favour rich, straight, white men? How can you ignore that the biggest pushes for inclusion come from the left?'

Now, as a conservative you might not believe a 'conservative' government does is bigoted, but as a lefty (I can't say 'liberal' as I'm Australian and our liberals ARE our conservatives), this is how I view conservative governments. And yes, I'm genuinely surprised that people who are glbti, poor, women, non-white, blue collar etc would even contemplate voting for conservative politicians but hey, the beauty of the human race is our variety, right? And I have some very right-wing ('conservative') views in my stable of thoughts and beliefs.

Well, I'm more Bi, but still conservative politically. Just wondering if there were any more conservative LBGT folks around.

Huh? Have you ever heard of the Log Cabin Republicans???

http://www.logcabin.org/

As for which religion has killed more LGBTQ people that is simple: ALL OF THEM!

P.S. In the US, it's not in Muslim mosques where the religious leaders routinely rant about the evils of homo- and trans- exuality. That "title" belongs solely to Christians. If you are a Christian then own your own shit, please.

I don't think you can place sexuality or tolerance in one political camp or another because people are duplicitous. Historically the political parties and power-brokers in the UK have a higher percentage of LGBs than the general public. Outings of past politicians were once a scandal, now they're more a badge of honour.

What a politician or religious leader says often has nothing to do with their private lives, which is fine, right up to the point when they act like Judas against the LGBT population either by legal means or pushing intolerance at conventions and the media. Then they lay the blame with religion ( usually ) citing their religious beliefs and 'personal' conscious as the reason for their 'political' decisions.

Catholic church and child abuse
Hypocritical anti gay politicians

Back