Authors may want to check stories by carnillia to see if he plagiarized your story

laptopwriter

Really Really Experienced
Today, 10-11-16 a story was posted called, "Marriage on a tightrope," by carnillia. I started reading and liked it until I got to page three and read a scene between the protagonist and his boss. It was extremely familiar. I checked and sure enough, parts of it were taken word for word from a story I posted over two years ago called, "Between the pages of Adultery."

I contacted the writer asking for an explanation. An hour later I found the author had disabled the feedback on his story. I assume to prevent me from exposing him.

I have not read the rest of the story to see if more of my work appeared, I'm currently too pissed. Once I finish this story I will check out his other work to see if he has plagiarized more of my stories and I would suggest others to do the same.

Bad news. You reported it to the Web site, with particulars on how it plagiarizes your story, right?

Yes, I did.

Hopefully Laurel takes action and removes the story but the author has several stories listed so I thought I would make other authors aware.

Hopefully Laurel takes action and removes the story but the author has several stories listed so I thought I would make other authors aware.

Wow...so sorry you have to endure such blatant abuse of your work! This person should be banned and any others like them. This is a new poster to Lit. Only on since the summer months. Apparently didn't have the numbers to make the grade in the first few submissions, so...began copying better artists??? Even banning them won't keep them from appearing again as someone new though. :(

Nothing worse than a thief and a liar the plagiarizes other people's hard work. Fucking thieving bastards.đź‘ đź‘ đź‘ Kant

I can't understand why someone would steal someone else's story and post on the same website! What is wrong with people.

And call me stupid but I have no clue how to search by author. Not that I think anyone would ever steal my stuff, but I am curious(nosy).

In 2015 one of my April Fools day stories was posted a day later, word for word even the same title by someone. It was removed within hours, but could you get any dumber? Part of me wonders if it was a troll prank.

I can't understand why someone would steal someone else's story and post on the same website! What is wrong with people.

And call me stupid but I have no clue how to search by author. Not that I think anyone would ever steal my stuff, but I am curious(nosy).

Monkey: I think this was stumbled on by accident, but that being said, to find stories by author, go to the stories page. You'll see a selection where you can search by author. click it, then type in the author's name. It will throw up another screen where you can see the selections of stories...poetry...even one for profile I believe. Click the stories tab and wha-lah! A list of the authors submissions magically appears!

Monkey: I think this was stumbled on by accident, but that being said, to find stories by author, go to the stories page. You'll see a selection where you can search by author. click it, then type in the author's name. It will throw up another screen where you can see the selections of stories...poetry...even one for profile I believe. Click the stories tab and wha-lah! A list of the authors submissions magically appears!

Thank You! :D

In 2015 one of my April Fools day stories was posted a day later, word for word even the same title by someone. It was removed within hours, but could you get any dumber? Part of me wonders if it was a troll prank.

Wow some people really have no scruples do they. Or they are just really dumb.

Thank You!

An April Fools Day prank?

One of my plagiarizers here wasn't quite as blatant. I use a different pen name in posting elsewhere (Lit. claimed my pen name was already being used when I opened my account here--although I haven't seen it being used). So, someone lifted one of my stories wholesale from another site without realizing I posted here, but in a different name, and posted it here. A reader pointed that out to me. Lit. had it--and the poster--erased within hours.

You're most welcome, Monkey.
Lovecraft, do not tell me you are surprised that some yahoo with writing skills of a kindergarten student would steal your work! I've read a couple of your stories! If I was a thief, they'd be on my list of to-do's...just sayin'....
And, as for people being stupid? Did you hear the one about the two bank robbers who called the bank BEFORE they robbed it so they could get the money ready? ( NOT kidding here, folks!) Happened two years ago. Of course, there was a reception committee waiting for them, and yes, they did show up demanding the money! I rest my case!

An April Fools Day prank?

One of my plagiarizers here wasn't quite as blatant. I use a different pen name in posting elsewhere (Lit. claimed my pen name was already being used when I opened my account here--although I haven't seen it being used). So, someone lifted one of my stories wholesale from another site without realizing I posted here, but in a different name, and posted it here. A reader pointed that out to me. Lit. had it--and the poster--erased within hours.

Maybe it was just a member's name and they never post stories?

I used to chat quite a bit with Manyfeathers and he told me his original pen name here was Sandman. He then converted to MF and reposted the stories. He had a bunch of people commenting and getting nasty with him, telling him he stole Sandman's stories.

I think a simple author's note may have helped with that.

Today, 10-11-16 a story was posted called, "Marriage on a tightrope," by carnillia. I started reading and liked it until I got to page three and read a scene between the protagonist and his boss. It was extremely familiar. I checked and sure enough, parts of it were taken word for word from a story I posted over two years ago called, "Between the pages of Adultery."

I contacted the writer asking for an explanation. An hour later I found the author had disabled the feedback on his story. I assume to prevent me from exposing him.

I have not read the rest of the story to see if more of my work appeared, I'm currently too pissed. Once I finish this story I will check out his other work to see if he has plagiarized more of my stories and I would suggest others to do the same.

Did you see his Favorites?

He lists you as one of his favorite authors.

Maybe it was just a member's name and they never post stories?

I used to chat quite a bit with Manyfeathers and he told me his original pen name here was Sandman. He then converted to MF and reposted the stories. He had a bunch of people commenting and getting nasty with him, telling him he stole Sandman's stories.

I think a simple author's note may have helped with that.

I've had folks tell me that someone was stealing my stories and it was because I post under different names on different Web sites (again only because Lit. wouldn't give me the name I posted elsewhere under). It's a compliment both that they would catch on to the duplication and that they'd follow up on it.

Yes, I did see that.

Did you see his Favorites?

He lists you as one of his favorite authors.

It was one of the reason I contacted him before doing anything else. Had he apologized and said he wouldn't do it again I was ready to give him a pass. Instead he quickly disabled comments for the story. The comments were very good so the only reason I can think of for disabling them is to prevent me from using them to expose him. That made me mad.

That's when I contacted Laurel and posted this thread.

Up to his response I suppose it was possible he just wasn't well enough informed to know it was wrong to use someone else's work from here.

That's exactly what I thought and why I was ready to give him the benefit of the doub

Up to his response I suppose it was possible he just wasn't well enough informed to know it was wrong to use someone else's work from here.

He's from a different country and relatively new so I wrote him hoping he would tell me he was totally ignorant of his mistake and apologize.

The fact that he disabled comments tells me he knew it was wrong and he had been caught, now he was in damage control mode.

Last edited:
Unbelievable. Carnilla not only stole from you, laptopwriter, but his entire story is plagiarized from a user named "Whalloped" on a site called "Surviving Infidelity." He copied several passages word-for-word, included the same details, same dialog, etc..

I called him out on it, and he deleted my comments. Frankly, he should be banned from this site.

You have my sympathy!

What should be done in my not so very humble opinion and if possible is that the story should not be deleted but the content should and be replaced with:

This story has been plagiarised by (name of plagiariser)

Which should also be shown as the story description. Then the story should be locked, deleting votes (0.00 scoreline) but leaving comments for everyone to see - name and shame!

Hey laptop, at least Carnilla was smart enough to follow the maxim, "If you're going to steal, steal from the best!"

oshaw
(not good enough to make Carnilla's favorite list)

I've had a couple people refute my claim that he has ripped me off.

Here is a short passage from my story, "Between the pages of adultery," that I published two years ago...

“Tell you what; I want you to take a week off…”

Harrison didn’t like that idea. “Ken, I can…”

“I won’t take no for an answer,” he responded, cutting Harrison short. “Don’t worry, I’m still going to pay you, and because I’m forcing this on you it won’t count toward your vacation time, but I want you to take some time to think things through, after-all that’s your strong point, isn’t it; your ability to see all the angles?”

Harrison could see his boss was serious.

“I’ll give you till the end of the day to make sure all the fires are out. Then I want you to bring one of your guys up to speed and tell him he’s in charge for the next week. I want you to focus on your personal life and not worry about work, understand?”

“Yeah, I understand,” he sighed.

Now this is from page 3 of carnillia's story...

"I'll tell you what; I want you to take a week off..."

I didn't like that idea. "Carl, I can't..."

"You can and you will," he said, cutting me short. "Don't worry, I'm still going to pay you, and because I'm forcing this on you it won't count toward your vacation time, but I want you to take some time to think things through, after-all that's your strong point, isn't it: your ability to see all the angles?"

I could see he was serious.

"I'll give you till the end of the day to make sure all the fires are out. Then, I want you to bring one of your guys up to speed and tell him he's in charge for the next week. I want you to focus on your personal life and not worry about work, understand?"

"Yeah, I understand," I sighed.

This is just a short passage but almost the whole page is like this. In some cases word for word and comma for comma.

Back