The Makeup Fairy Returns!

Dear Fairy,

I'm 37 and I have sensitive skin, and have had to stop using many products in the past due to reactions. Sometimes my eyes swell up, sometimes it's a reddening of the skin. The latter reaction is normally heralded by a stinging when I apply the cream. My skin is also quite dry. I have to used non-bio for washing my clothes.
On my body, I now use coconut oil, but I don't think it moisturises enough as my legs in particular always seem to be dry.
On my face, I use Boots No 7 Beautiful Skin for Dry/Very Dry Skin moisturiser, with a Simple eye cream (I'm in the UK).This has seemed to work for a few years, but now I'm getting the odd stinging sensation from the No 7, and I also have quite a few spots along my jawline and neck. The skin is dry and spotty at the same time.:confused:
(Simple have also discontinued the eye cream I use. :( )
I exfoliate my body once a week, and face twice or more a week.
I don't know what my questions are, but do you have any words of advice please?

Thank you.
RZx
P.S. I'm on a very limited budget.

Dear Fairy,

I'm 37 and I have sensitive skin, and have had to stop using many products in the past due to reactions. Sometimes my eyes swell up, sometimes it's a reddening of the skin. The latter reaction is normally heralded by a stinging when I apply the cream. My skin is also quite dry. I have to used non-bio for washing my clothes.
On my body, I now use coconut oil, but I don't think it moisturises enough as my legs in particular always seem to be dry.
On my face, I use Boots No 7 Beautiful Skin for Dry/Very Dry Skin moisturiser, with a Simple eye cream (I'm in the UK).This has seemed to work for a few years, but now I'm getting the odd stinging sensation from the No 7, and I also have quite a few spots along my jawline and neck. The skin is dry and spotty at the same time.:confused:
(Simple have also discontinued the eye cream I use. :( )
I exfoliate my body once a week, and face twice or more a week.
I don't know what my questions are, but do you have any words of advice please?

Thank you.
RZx
P.S. I'm on a very limited budget.

Have you tried Cetaphil? It's a brand specially made for highly sensitive skin!

The cream is very gentle and especially moisturizing!

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...ei=KNe_VP_iNMi6ggSxjYHoAg&sqi=2&ved=0CJIBELok

The jar is large and costs 10 US dollars and can last for months! :heart:

Have you tried Cetaphil? It's a brand specially made for highly sensitive skin!

The cream is very gentle and especially moisturizing!

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...ei=KNe_VP_iNMi6ggSxjYHoAg&sqi=2&ved=0CJIBELok

The jar is large and costs 10 US dollars and can last for months! :heart:

Thanks, I've had a look and it seems to be available over here.

Is that for the face or body, or both please?

Forgot to mention I do a lot of cycling so my 'day' moisturiser usually needs SPF or similar to cope, otherwise I end up with windburn.

If I could afford it, I'd use the No 7 'Protect & Perfect' line, but it's slightly out of my budget atm. (I used to use Clarins but that's waaaaaay out of my budget now.)
http://www.boots.com/en/No-7

Thanks, I've had a look and it seems to be available over here.

Is that for the face or body, or both please?

Forgot to mention I do a lot of cycling so my 'day' moisturiser usually needs SPF or similar to cope, otherwise I end up with windburn.

If I could afford it, I'd use the No 7 'Protect & Perfect' line, but it's slightly out of my budget atm. (I used to use Clarins but that's waaaaaay out of my budget now.)
http://www.boots.com/en/No-7

Cetaphil is so gentle that it can be used equally for the face and body. It has very few ingredients and is extremely beneficial. I suggest only using the cream on the very driest parts of your body, unless your face is extremely, extremely dry.

http://www.cetaphil.com/daily-facial-moisturizer-spf-50

Do you get windburn or sunburn? Because SPF is for sun protection, SPF literally means "Sun Protection Factor", and doesn't deal with chapping skin due to dryness from being exposed to wind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windburn

Do you get dry chapped skin due to exposure, or a sunburn?

Last edited:
I see quite a few people use coconut oil on their skin. I make cold processed soap and most soapers only recommend using coconut oil in a ratio of about 25% of your total oils. Coconut oil gives larger bubbles and a gives you a firmer bar, but the consensus is that using it for more than 25% of your recipe can be drying to your skin. Of course, for the life of me I can't recall if it's the straight oil that can cause dryness or if it's only the soap molecule made with coconut oil that would be so.

I don't know if anyone here would know the answer or if there's any truth to straight coconut oil, while initially nourishing could lead to dryness?

I see quite a few people use coconut oil on their skin. I make cold processed soap and most soapers only recommend using coconut oil in a ratio of about 25% of your total oils. Coconut oil gives larger bubbles and a gives you a firmer bar, but the consensus is that using it for more than 25% of your recipe can be drying to your skin. Of course, for the life of me I can't recall if it's the straight oil that can cause dryness or if it's only the soap molecule made with coconut oil that would be so.

I don't know if anyone here would know the answer or if there's any truth to straight coconut oil, while initially nourishing could lead to dryness?

I can't see how an oil could lead to dryness unless you were using JUST coconut oil on your skin, had naturally very dry skin, and didn't use a moisturizer afterward.

Remember, oil CANNOT moisturize. Only WATER can. It "Feels" wet due to the fact that it's a liquid, but in fact all oils are technically "dry".

Oil makes an emollient barrier that traps the water INSIDE your skin and prevents it from evaporating, but in order to actually moisturize the skin, you must apply something that contains water in it.

I can't see how an oil could lead to dryness unless you were using JUST coconut oil on your skin, had naturally very dry skin, and didn't use a moisturizer afterward.

Remember, oil CANNOT moisturize. Only WATER can. It "Feels" wet due to the fact that it's a liquid, but in fact all oils are technically "dry".

Oil makes an emollient barrier that traps the water INSIDE your skin and prevents it from evaporating, but in order to actually moisturize the skin, you must apply something that contains water in it.

This is a good one! I had no idea... Thanks!! :)

Cetaphil is so gentle that it can be used equally for the face and body. It has very few ingredients and is extremely beneficial. I suggest only using the cream on the very driest parts of your body, unless your face is extremely, extremely dry.

http://www.cetaphil.com/daily-facial-moisturizer-spf-50

Do you get windburn or sunburn? Because SPF is for sun protection, SPF literally means "Sun Protection Factor", and doesn't deal with chapping skin due to dryness from being exposed to wind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windburn

Do you get dry chapped skin due to exposure, or a sunburn?

I get pink cheeks, or a pink flush on any exposed parts. If I've put a good layer of day cream on beforehand, it's not so bad.

I've checked the ingredients on the Cetaphil - unfortunately most of the creams have dimethicone in as a primary ingredient and I tend to be sensitive to that (although I don't have a reaction to the silicone Mooncup I currently wear - I don't quite understand it but I know to avoid shampoos with dimethicone high on the list).

As an actual sunscreen, I usually use Ultrasun once-a-day, but only in summer as it stings my eyes.

Should I be putting something else on before or after the coconut oil then?:confused:

This is a good one! I had no idea... Thanks!! :)

You're welcome sweetheart!

I get pink cheeks, or a pink flush on any exposed parts. If I've put a good layer of day cream on beforehand, it's not so bad.

Do you get the same redness with a cream without SPF?

I've checked the ingredients on the Cetaphil - unfortunately most of the creams have dimethicone in as a primary ingredient and I tend to be sensitive to that (although I don't have a reaction to the silicone Mooncup I currently wear - I don't quite understand it but I know to avoid shampoos with dimethicone high on the list).

As an actual sunscreen, I usually use Ultrasun once-a-day, but only in summer as it stings my eyes.

Oooh, yeah. Okay. Yeah, a Dimethicone allergy can make finding products REALLY hard, especially when you're on a TIGHT budget. But never fear, I am totally here for you!

I found an inexpensive product line without Dimethicone that you might be interested in! :heart:

http://www.everydayshea.com/

Not only are the products inexpensive, but the company is highly involved in social activism and gender equality activism! So your money is really going to great places!

Should I be putting something else on before or after the coconut oil then?:confused:

I would say it depends on what you're using it for. If you're using it as an oil cleanser, use a moisturizer after you take it off your skin. If you're using it as a moisturizer, make sure your skin is WET when you put it on so that it traps that water in your skin.

To use it as a moisturizer, cleanse your skin, pat very gently dry, and immediately while the skin is still quite wet, gently massage the oil into the skin. You want to make sure you're almost..."mixing" the water with the oil, thoroughly rubbing it into your skin so the upper layers can really drink it in. The massage and water is key.

Last edited:

Makes sense. Thanks Satin!

Hey Satin! I'm going to a formal event in a couple of weeks, and I'm going to try and style my hair like this.

At the beginning of the tutorial, she talks about using a heat protector, and also a styling glaze. IRC, you mentioned that the CHI silk infusion helps protect hair from heat, so I'm wondering if that would serve for the first product. But what then, would you recommend for the styling glaze? It's not something I will use a whole hell of a lot, so I don't want to spend more that $10 on it.

Any recommendations?

Makes sense. Thanks Satin!

Anytime suge, I'm here to help and happy to! :D

Hey Satin! I'm going to a formal event in a couple of weeks, and I'm going to try and style my hair like this.

At the beginning of the tutorial, she talks about using a heat protector, and also a styling glaze. IRC, you mentioned that the CHI silk infusion helps protect hair from heat, so I'm wondering if that would serve for the first product. But what then, would you recommend for the styling glaze? It's not something I will use a whole hell of a lot, so I don't want to spend more that $10 on it.

Any recommendations?

Chi would be a great way to protect your hair from heat so that would definitely be a great heat protectant, and since you already have it, you won't have to spend extra money on it.

"Styling glaze" is just a fancy industry word for "gel", and I don't recommend many due to the fact that a lot of them dry rock solid, sticky, and get flaky and gross when they start to lose cohesion. I like gels for short hairstyles that need to hold stiffly for MANY hours under hot lights, etc. But for soft curls, gels are NOT PRETTY!

Instead of a gel, try a settling lotion! Here's one that's inexpensive and has GREAT reviews!

http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Root-...id=1422053347&sr=1-11&keywords=setting+lotion

If you don't get this specific one, you'll want to look for one that has some sort of oil or emollient product in it that'll add a moisture barrier to the hair. I always say that you should take EVERY opportunity to add moisture to the hair, because the better we treat it, the better it looks!

Watch out for "Extra firm hold" setting lotions, that'll make your hair too stiff to curl softly. Get a normal-hold lotion (foaming or non foaming, it doesn't matter) and follow the instructions very carefully for your hair. I loved the style you're picking, you're going to look A-MAAAAAZING! You should definitely post a picture of your hair here when you're done!

You should be set on fleek, girl! :heart:

Last edited:
Thank you, Satin. I'm going to give it the first go 'round this weekend. 'Cause I KNOW I'm not going to get it right on the first try.

The LBD I'm wearing, although cocktail length, has a bit of an art deco feel to it. The bodice has black chiffon that criss-crosses over the bust, then feeds through beaded clips at the shoulders to cascade off the back. I feel very elegant when I wear it, so I kind of wanted a hair style a bit more involved than my go to ballerina bun.

Thank you, Satin. I'm going to give it the first go 'round this weekend. 'Cause I KNOW I'm not going to get it right on the first try.

The LBD I'm wearing, although cocktail length, has a bit of an art deco feel to it. The bodice has black chiffon that criss-crosses over the bust, then feeds through beaded clips at the shoulders to cascade off the back. I feel very elegant when I wear it, so I kind of wanted a hair style a bit more involved than my go to ballerina bun.

That dress sounds spectacular, I bet you're going to look like the belle of the ball in it!

Any recommendations?

I loved this idea and tutorial - thanks!! :)
My hair is pretty thick, but I may give it a try...

I know nothing about this topic, except that where makeup is concerned I'm a fan of less is more.

I know nothing about this topic, except that where makeup is concerned I'm a fan of less is more.

You'd be surprised at how much time and makeup actually goes into the "no makeup" look.

Sali Hughes in The Guardian seems to know her stuff - I was intrigued by her piece on contouring today and dipped into her previous pieces. Any thoughts?

Sali Hughes in The Guardian seems to know her stuff - I was intrigued by her piece on contouring today and dipped into her previous pieces. Any thoughts?

I've never really bothered with contouring, because my features are pretty angular to begin with. I do NOT need cheekbones a la Angelina Jolie in Maleficient. :D It also made me happy/sad to see a mention of Kevin Aucoin. I was a huge fan of his makeup style, and I'm sad he's no longer around to see how much influence he had.

You'd be surprised at how much time and makeup actually goes into the "no makeup" look.

Truth!

I loved this idea and tutorial - thanks!! :)
My hair is pretty thick, but I may give it a try...

You're welcome, CnC! I hope it works better for you than it did for me. Today's trial run was an epic fail. I will say that I don't have the setting lotion right now, so maybe that was part of it? But she's also working with a curling iron, and I haven't done that in ages. Although my hair is not layered, when I was curling it and trying to catch in the ends, there were these little under layers that kept falling down. It was so irritating! My curls were NOT all nice and smooth like hers were.

Satin, do you think I could just curl my hair on hot rollers instead of the iron, then break the curls and proceed as she did after the she took down all her pin curls? I'm so much more proficient with hot rollers than I am with a curling iron. Granted, not all the rollers are the same size, but do you think that will matter much?

Back