The Official Author's Hangout Valentine's Day 2013 Contest Support Thread

Welcome to The Official Author's Hangout Valentine's Day 2013 Contest Support Thread.

Beware of fake contests.
 
I did manage to get one more story in at the deadline. With maybe 5 minutes to spare. Another of my annual "poke-the-reader-with-a-sharp-stick" stories.

That Damned Valentine's Day Card

Loving wives, :eek: with some wimpiness, bi-sexual cheating, ruining a perfect day, very manipulative wife, unequal boundaries, easy reconciliation...

Ending's far short of what I wanted - I wrote it in the last two days, and compressed about two literotica pages of ending into maybe a dozen paragraphs. That damn deadline was staring me in my face.

Funny thing, it was basically a throw away scene from a different story, that didn't feel right. I pulled it out of the original and wrapped a quick story around it. Not worthy of much more. I figure 2-3 pages, but it ended up six. Someday I'll figure out how to keep it short and sweet.

I've got 'em riled up. I don't know what it is about me that makes me go out and do this every few months. Anonymous is having a hay-day in the comments.

Shame on me ;)

Are you sure you're not me? :eek:

Or maybe it's a Texas thing. A 2-3 page story is almost impossible for me. Not to mention loving to dive in the LW's shark pool ever so often. I even juggle a dozen or more stories on any given day.

One day we're going to have to write something together just to see how this all works. :D

It must be a Texas thing. ;)
 
Bah. I didn't manage to finish my story in time. Too much work. On the other hand I have a chance to finish it and polish it more.
 
for those of you who may have missed the announcement...

[size=+2]ASSOCIATION of INDEPENDENT READERS (A.I.R.)[/size]

[size=+2]
LITEROTICA’S LIFETIME ACHIEVMENT AWARD
[/size]


184_450pxStatue_of_a_Satyr_1.jpg

the [size=+2]:D MANU :D[/size] award

These prizes will be awarded based on the author’s complete body of work. This is the eighteenth MANU to be awarded.

He’s been delighting Literotica readers since 2004. A member of both the “Most Votes” and “Most Comments” Clubs and has won a LITEROTICA W’s. He is one of the true kings of the LOVING WIVES category. If you haven’t yet read any of this man’s work I suggest you immediately head to his story page and click open one of his excellent stories.

He’s the 18th winner of the MANU, please join me and millions of A.I.R. readers worldwide in honoring the one and only:

[size=+4]
Harddaysknight
[/size]


[size=+2]
the MANU

LITEROTICA’S LIFETIME ACHIEVMENT AWARD
[/size]

BarondeSade
BOSTONFICTIONWRITER
Daniellekitten
DG Hear
Goldeniangel

Harddaysknight
Just Plain Bob
Many Feathers
masterhypnotist
nikki_2021

rgjohn
SamuelX
Sarahhh
scouries
Slickman

TryAnything
Wm_Sexpear
youbadboy

… it is a pretty impressive list if I do say so myself! No “least read” authors on this list!
 
No one cares about your fake award.

No one nominated anyone, no one but you got a choice, not even the Author named in your fake award. Especially the author named in the fake award.
 
Just saw a sweep. Lost five votes in my V-day story (no score change), and a few votes in other stories.
 
Yep, another sweep within the last hour. Lost a point on one story and picked up a point on another. I expected to pick up more than a point on the latter one, though, as it's been subjected to the same one-point-a-day hit from the last week of open posting that my stories have for the past several contests. Interesting how seriously some folks take the competition of these contests.
 
Yeah, I have a story in Mind Control that gets maybe one vote a week, but as soon as it jumps a hundredth of a point it leaps 10 places on the top list and coincidentally always gets an offsetting negative vote within 1-2 days. Some people, or their fans, are very protective.
 
Sweeping is a process, not an event. I've noted that it has just continued since I last posted that it had happened again.
 
Contest analysis - Valentine's Day Contest 2013

Good evening. The voices inform me that there are 79 stories in the competition to date, with an average score of 4.24 from an average of 301 votes. Stories had an average of 20,819 views, an average of 8 favorites, and an average of 11 comments. The average ratio of votes to views is 1.55%. The average number of pages is 2.5, with the longest story being 11 pages.

So far there have been a total of 23,820 votes, 1,644,754 views, 671 favorites and 876 comments.

The standard deviation of scores (from the average of 4.24) is 0.38 and the standard deviation of votes (from the average of 301) is 352. The median score is 4.29, the median number of votes is 158 and the median number of pages is 2. The top 25% of scores are 4.54 or above and the bottom 25% of scores are 3.98 or below.

Sweeps

Some votes have been reduced (swept) since the start of the competition. A total of 21 stories have had their votes adjusted, with 19 sweeps resulting in a new score that day which is higher than before and 5 sweeps resulting in a new score that day which is lower. There were a total of 352 votes swept, being an average of 16 per swept story. The maximum number of votes swept for a single story was 170. (Figures based on toplists, and may not be totally accurate).


Categories entered (alphabetic order)

  • Anal (4 stories)
  • BDSM (2 stories)
  • Erotic Couplings (14 stories)
  • Erotic Horror (1 story)
  • Exhibitionist & Voyeur (2 stories)
  • Fetish (1 story)
  • First Time (3 stories)
  • Gay Male (3 stories)
  • Group Sex (2 stories)
  • Humor & Satire (1 story)
  • Illustrated (1 story)
  • Incest/Taboo (9 stories)
  • Lesbian Sex (1 story)
  • Loving Wives (7 stories)
  • Mature (1 story)
  • Non-Erotic (1 story)
  • NonConsent/Reluctance (2 stories)
  • NonHuman (1 story)
  • Novels and Novellas (2 stories)
  • Romance (16 stories)
  • Sci-Fi & Fantasy (3 stories)
  • Text With Audio (1 story)
  • Transsexuals & Crossdressers (1 story)

New stories today: None


Authors entered so far are:

Alex the Cat, BenLong, BrettJ, BuckyDuckman, carl420, carlieplum, celesteandjim, chocolatecookie3 (2), Cleophila, Cndrlla69, CocoPhoenix13, DeeZire, DG Hear (4), gb_jizz, geronimo_appleby (2), GirlintheMoon (2), glynndah, HenryGatewood, HeyAll (2), hoo_hoo_boo, HottieKatie, ijjackson92, Ironiclaconic, JagFarlane, James Cody, Jasmynn_Brown, JosephWrites, laffalot, loquere, luvthedesserts (2), MagicFingers, MichaelWest, msgrant67, MSTarot, Neonurotic, nicerack, OctavianEarth, pandybear311, ponyfitness, qingming, randibyrnes, RedHairedandFriendly, RedMonkeyButt, RjThoughts, roughboy18, sagethorns, SarahLove, Schaka, sexnovella (2), silkstockingslover (2), Sinara, sirhugs, sr71plt (2), stubborn_dreamer, SusanJillParker, Sweetslk88, sweet_lusciousdesire (2), theravenfox, TheScarletSiren, TinyBeth, tk5555, Totzman, Transverse, Tx Tall Tales (2), xelliebabex, YDB95

Disclaimer

Because of the way this site works these figures will not be totally up-to-date. For a given story the score shown on the category page, the author's page, and the toplists page, can all be different. Also it appears that various pages update at different times of the day, sometimes quite infrequently.

Please do not PM me asking for more detailed information. I do not wish to skew contest results by giving a target for voting manipulation.

Contest page: Valentine's Day Contest 2013
 
Contests

My recollection is that this is usually one of the more popular contests. It's certainly easier to come up with plots that combine Valentine's Day with sex than Earth Day, Christmas, or Summer.



Just curious, but do any of the contests ever change around? Maybe like a St Patrick's Day contest instead of Earth Day one year or a different theme than the standard contests?
 
Just curious, but do any of the contests ever change around? Maybe like a St Patrick's Day contest instead of Earth Day one year or a different theme than the standard contests?

I'm struggling enough with the current contests!

I think you can bend some of the contests as needed. Earth day might not be until April 22, but I bet you could bend it to include St. Paddy's Day, for example.
 
Are you sure you're not me? :eek:

Or maybe it's a Texas thing. A 2-3 page story is almost impossible for me. Not to mention loving to dive in the LW's shark pool ever so often. I even juggle a dozen or more stories on any given day.

One day we're going to have to write something together just to see how this all works. :D

It must be a Texas thing. ;)


Here I thought I was doing something wrong as mine all fit onto one Literotica page. Is it a bad thing?

Ah, well. Anxious to see the end results! My first contest. :D Good luck all!
 
Here I thought I was doing something wrong as mine all fit onto one Literotica page. Is it a bad thing?

No, it's not a bad thing if more words would have just been padding. Most mainstream short story contests have maximum word requirements that are under a Lit. page in length.
 
No, it's not a bad thing if more words would have just been padding. Most mainstream short story contests have maximum word requirements that are under a Lit. page in length.

Definitely not a bad thing. I, for one, have started working harder to make my stories leaner. It takes a lot of effort to really cut all the fat off a complex story. It takes a very good writer, a lot better than me so far, to craft a powerful short story. Literotica does have its share of them, but even brilliant short stories don't fare as well as the longer mult-chapter stories. Just peruse the Top Lists for proof.

A large segment of the readers want longer stories. They end up identifying with the characters, and beg for more. Half the comments on my latest GS series, The Last Boy Scout, are asking for more, and are very specific in their requests. I thought it was done, maybe not.

Seven lit pages that tell a story that could have been written in 3 does nobody any favors. Nine pages that are compelling, with interesting characters and believable dialog will out score shorter stories in the ratings (if you care about that stuff).

Many of the most popular stories are novella length, but who wants to submit a story under that nebulous category?
 
Thanks for explaining. Truth be told, my story was my first step into the erotica pool of any kind. I thought it best to be short and sweet. Given the subject matter, it wasn't difficult for me to write something in a couple hours and send it in.

I don't know if I'll wade further into the pool of submitting though I spend a lot of time reading/editing here. Maybe I will. Most definitely I will be keeping your advice in mind.

Thanks again!
 
Thanks for explaining. Truth be told, my story was my first step into the erotica pool of any kind. I thought it best to be short and sweet. Given the subject matter, it wasn't difficult for me to write something in a couple hours and send it in.

I don't know if I'll wade further into the pool of submitting though I spend a lot of time reading/editing here. Maybe I will. Most definitely I will be keeping your advice in mind.

Thanks again!

Welcome to the madhouse.
 
St. Patrick's Day would be a great idea. Probably too close on it to make the change now (if anyone is listening), but it might be a switch-out for another year.
 
Back
Top