Noosphere and the Omega Point

Dillinger

Guerrilla Ontologist
Joined
Sep 19, 2000
Posts
26,152
There was a Jesuit called Teilhard de Chardin. He believed that just as life had covered the Earth to form the biosphere, so mankind - thinking life - would eventually encompass life to form a higher layer, a cognitive layer he called the noosphere. He argued that the rough organization of the noosphere would grow, until it cohered into a single supersaient being he called the Omega Point.

The end of the world, in a way - the wholesale internal introversion upon itself of the noosphere, which has simultaneiously reched the uttermost limit of its complexity and centrality...

Interesting? I wonder if perhaps as the internet and technology evolve that we might reach a point where we all have aspects of the network "built in" to us. We no walk around with moblie devices that provide phone and email and net connections. There are wearable computers available. At some point in the future its not out of the question to imagine that as such devices get smaller and smaller they can actually be embedded within our skin - or our brains. Giving us instant/thought access to the internet and to others...

And then... noosphere...
 
Isn't he also the guy who believes that Jesus will return when man has figured out all 5,000 of God's names and written them down?
 
That doesn't sound like Teilhard to me, KM, but I am out of practice.
 
KM - I don't believe that is the same person - though I know what you're talking about. In fact - I read a science fiction story based on that not all that long ago - I wish I could remember who wrote it.
 
Tielhard probably got the seeds of his ideas from another French writer and philosopher, Henri Bergson, from whom, in 1907, appeared the book entitled "Creative Evolution".

Bergson says: "life requires us to apprehend things in the relation they have to our needs".

Teilhard states that "Everything, in some extremely attenuated extension of itself, has existed from the very first".

Physicists have demonstrated that energy and matter conserve, which amounts to say that it is eternal. Every bit of us has existed since the dawning of times and will last forever.
 
Back
Top