Melissa's Maine

I couldn't care less for lobster. Now a big mess of fried clams, that's finest kind, bub.
Clams, schlams. You can get clams almost anywhere. Fry-em, dye-em, whatever. Geoducks are special, sure, but I don't think they're NewEnglandish-Maratimish. Gotta go northwest.

Most overrated: Pismo clams. I was conceived in Pismo Beach. I got on welfare in Pismo Beach. I almost made it into a Kage Baker book. And I haunted the beach for Pismo clams. But they're measly suckers -- lure tourists in with clam chowder from elsewhere. (The best is up the coast in Morro Bay. Don't talk.)

Clam. It's a funny word. SpAm is easy: ground-up SPanish AMericans. But ClAm? CLoseted AMericans? Who are they grinding up and selling as seafood?

PS: If I do a nor'easter story, I'll need Cthulhu or the Wendigo for flavor. Or mooses. There's mooses in Maine, right?

Last edited:
Beautiful pictures! I love how you've worked the location into your stories. I haven't read My Fall And Rise but have read most of Mary and Alvin and I love now to see some of the visuals.

I recommend My Fall and Rise. Gritty with empathy but never sentimental, very well written. One of the best two stories I've read on Lit in the last year or so.

Great photos and a nice visual reference for your stories.

I've never been to Maine. I think I've been everywhere else in New England, but never there. Would love to go sometime.

Beautiful pictures! I love how you've worked the location into your stories. I haven't read My Fall And Rise but have read most of Mary and Alvin and I love now to see some of the visuals.

Thank you. I am a little bit paranoid that someone is going to get up in my shit and tell me, "That's not what Alvin's house looks like!" or something. :D

Clams, schlams. You can get clams almost anywhere. Fry-em, dye-em, whatever. Geoducks are special, sure, but I don't think they're NewEnglandish-Maratimish. Gotta go northwest.

Most overrated: Pismo clams. I was conceived in Pismo Beach. I got on welfare in Pismo Beach. I almost made it into a Kage Baker book. And I haunted the beach for Pismo clams. But they're measly suckers -- lure tourists in with clam chowder from elsewhere. (The best is up the coast in Morro Bay. Don't talk.)

Clam. It's a funny word. SpAm is easy: ground-up SPanish AMericans. But ClAm? CLoseted AMericans? Who are they grinding up and selling as seafood?

PS: If I do a nor'easter story, I'll need Cthulhu or the Wendigo for flavor. Or mooses. There's mooses in Maine, right?

Hmm. You might have heard that they do a wicked clam chowder up there.

As for moose, yes, there are plenty of moose, and they will fuck you up if you are not careful.

I recommend My Fall and Rise. Gritty with empathy but never sentimental, very well written. One of the best two stories I've read on Lit in the last year or so.

Thank you for that high praise. I really appreciate it.

Great photos and a nice visual reference for your stories.

I've never been to Maine. I think I've been everywhere else in New England, but never there. Would love to go sometime.

My Mom is single.

Just sayin'.

Your pictures really decipher Maine. I am a native Mainer and proud to live the dream. I am in the Western Mountains. I was born and raised here. I am glad you were able to come back for a visit. For all you others, please come visit our great State of Maine. You will not be disappointed.

As for moose, yes, there are plenty of moose, and they will fuck you up if you are not careful.

Just don't use that last line in the "Misquote the person above you AGAIN" thread. :D

Beautiful pictures. I've only been to far-southern Maine, on business trips. Taking the time to see that part of the world on vacation is a bucket list item.

Everyone makes claims, but clams tell the story. Goto Morro Bay CA for the best.

I am always careful around mooses. I was careful when lounging in a hot pool under auroras with mooses tracking a couple yards away. I was careful biking between mama and baby mooses on a narrow road shoulder near Sundance. I was careful when mooses strolled past my tent on the marge of Lake LaBarge.

But I didn't see enough mooses to feed the population of Whitehorse, let alone Fairbanks. Now, out east of Anchorage, about halfway to Tok, there's a valley filled with porcupines. Traffic stalls when porkys hog the road. There's enough porkys to feed a civilization, you betcha. Be a mighty porky hunter!

Melissa, GREAT pictures of t he great State of Maine. My husband and I have a bike tour there on our bucket list and had planned to do it this year but that won’t happen. Hopefully 2020. But you inspired me to keep it high on the list! Thanks.

Thank you everyone for the compliments on the pictures and on the beauty of Maine.

Several people have commented that in my series, Mary and Alvin, Maine is the third main character. (No pun intended) I appreciate the opportunity to share some of what inspires me with you.

Been there. Touched the clouds thar roll in on Mt Desert Island. Washed my hands in a mud puddle along a town road outside Millinocket. Climbed to the peak of Mt Katahdin; traversed the Knife Edge. Everything that rises must converge. :rose:

Been there. Touched the clouds thar roll in on Mt Desert Island. Washed my hands in a mud puddle along a town road outside Millinocket. Climbed to the peak of Mt Katahdin; traversed the Knife Edge. Everything that rises must converge. :rose:

But did you go to Meddybemps?

That's my favorite Maine place name. Wytopitlock is a close second.

Wonderful pictures

Such magnificent scenery to accompany your fantastic prose, Melissa. I look forward to visiting Maine someday.

...The night was filled with stars and a few sailboats rocked at their moorings, their anchor chains chiming like bells. -My Fall and Rise Chapter One

If a sailboat is on a mooring, the anchor is most likely not deployed. In any event, I don't recall having ever heard "anchor chains chiming."

What is far more likely to be audible is halyards slapping on masts.

BTW, as a youth, I sailed from Boothbay to Mt. Desert. As an adult, I've sailed to and anchored at Bass Harbor, Tenants, Pulpit, Monhegan, Isle au Haut, Swan's and others.

I've got Mainiac relatives.

That water is fucking cold.

If a sailboat is on a mooring, the anchor is most likely not deployed. In any event, I don't recall having ever heard "anchor chains chiming."

What is far more likely to be audible is halyards slapping on masts.

BTW, as a youth, I sailed from Boothbay to Mt. Desert. As an adult, I've sailed to and anchored at Bass Harbor, Tenants, Pulpit, Monhegan, Isle au Haut, Swan's and others.

I've got Mainiac relatives.

That water is fucking cold.

I am certain that the narrator would not have known that, but thanks for the info.

It's been a couple of days since I had a chance to poke my head in the AH. I'm glad I stopped by tonight. Thank you for sharing your photos, MB. I enjoyed them.

It's been a couple of days since I had a chance to poke my head in the AH. I'm glad I stopped by tonight. Thank you for sharing your photos, MB. I enjoyed them.

I am very glad that you saw them, and enjoyed them. As you might imagine, a couple were not easy locations to return to.

Back