The Official Authors' Hangout Valentine's Day 2018 Support Thread

Just saying... For some reason, I'm glad you didn't know about the physics and history of lemons in the 1800's...not sure why I'm pleased, and that's a bit worrisome to me, but whatever :eek:

Well, if I'm writing about something I'll generally research it at least on Wikipedia to make sure I'm not too far off but I've never done anything historical so the provenance and travelling abilities of lemons in 19th century USA is not something I've ever dreamed of looking into. I wish my trolls were so helpful though.

I did a little research of dates and basic geography, but that's something I never would have noticed. Of course, there would have been a polite, less insane way of saying it.

I suspect/know Mr./Ms. Troll is on this thread (waves--not to you, Chloe :)).

Bring it on, nutter, I find it hilarious

Well, if I'm writing about something I'll generally research it at least on Wikipedia to make sure I'm not too far off but I've never done anything historical so the provenance and travelling abilities of lemons in 19th century USA is not something I've ever dreamed of looking into. I wish my trolls were so helpful though.

My second story is up, and I've already gotten more votes than any of my previous stories had to date, including the winter holiday one. And several comments ranting at me for putting this story in Romance instead of Erotic Couplings. Apparently two people meeting, getting to know each other over the course of an evening, developing feelings for each other, then fucking and agreeing to keep seeing each other doesn't constitute romance.

I wonder if I should tell them about the night ten years ago when exactly that happened to me... with the man who's now been my husband for eight years. It was pretty fricking romantic in reality.

But there's also now a debate going on in the comments, where some people are siding with my choice toe put it in Romance, or are apparently of the opinion that people should just vote on the story and not whether it's in the right category. So I've apparently posted something very, very minorly controversial, which is fun.

I would imagine if it were really and truly not correct for Romance, Laurel would have moved it. I posted my story in Erotic Couplings and she moved it to Group Sex. I suppose that makes sense, even though I conceived of it more as two separate erotic couplings. Totally fine. It would get a better score in Group Sex anyway.

Like others here, I'm doing well but probably just out of the running. Who really knows until the final sweep. However, like you I just blew right past my June 2016 story that previously held the most # of votes for me, so I'm happy with a great result!

Just saying... For some reason, I'm glad you didn't know about the physics and history of lemons in the 1800's...not sure why I'm pleased, and that's a bit worrisome to me, but whatever :eek:

Don't get Chloe started on oranges, for chrissakes. She could write 5,000 words on pealing a bloody orange and you'd still want more. She'd know the vortex and precise angle of the cut, the thimbrul of the exchange, and the varple of the juice as it chundrels down your chin. Her research is thorough.

Don't get Chloe started on oranges, for chrissakes. She could write 5,000 words on pealing a bloody orange and you'd still want more. She'd know the vortex and precise angle of the cut, the thimbrul of the exchange, and the varple of the juice as it chundrels down your chin. Her research is thorough.

Just for that I'm putting a scene with an orange into "Fields Of Gold" and crediting you right here :devil:

Only 2,000 words though. It's long enough already.... and I'm waaaay behind.

450_1000.jpg

I suspect/know Mr./Ms. Troll is on this thread (waves--not to you, Chloe :)).

Bring it on, nutter, I find it hilarious

I love it myself and I was hoping it wasn't me LOL :D

And thank you :rose: - without this, I wouldn't have had my orange scene.

Last edited:
I would imagine if it were really and truly not correct for Romance, Laurel would have moved it. I posted my story in Erotic Couplings and she moved it to Group Sex. I suppose that makes sense, even though I conceived of it more as two separate erotic couplings. Totally fine. It would get a better score in Group Sex anyway.

Like others here, I'm doing well but probably just out of the running. Who really knows until the final sweep. However, like you I just blew right past my June 2016 story that previously held the most # of votes for me, so I'm happy with a great result!

Good luck! I think I'm probably completely out of the running; I know I've gotten at least one 1-star vote (because one of the commenters said they gave me 1 star) because of the issue of whether the story's actually romance. But I'm hovering only a little bit below "HOT" status, so I'm happy with that.

My first story is definitely out of the running; it's below 4. But I know that one's in a tough category, so I'm not worried about it. I'm just glad I found something to do with it.

My second story is up, and I've already gotten more votes than any of my previous stories had to date, including the winter holiday one. And several comments ranting at me for putting this story in Romance instead of Erotic Couplings. Apparently two people meeting, getting to know each other over the course of an evening, developing feelings for each other, then fucking and agreeing to keep seeing each other doesn't constitute romance.

I wonder if I should tell them about the night ten years ago when exactly that happened to me... with the man who's now been my husband for eight years. It was pretty fricking romantic in reality.

But there's also now a debate going on in the comments, where some people are siding with my choice toe put it in Romance, or are apparently of the opinion that people should just vote on the story and not whether it's in the right category. So I've apparently posted something very, very minorly controversial, which is fun.

My story has gotten an awful lot of attention too. 654 votes so far, and it has been posted less than 24 hours. The score is nothing to brag about, but it's also nothing to be ashamed of. Maybe I should have included more sex in it. I guess that's what happens to incest stories, especially when they are contest entries, but I have other incest tales that haven't gotten even close to this many votes.

Last edited:
I have just submitted my third entry - a 15 x 50-word story set.

The other potential stories seem to be going way off course, heading for the rocks. Maybe I can steer them back for next year's contest.

I have just submitted my third entry - a 15 x 50-word story set.

The other potential stories seem to be going way off course, heading for the rocks. Maybe I can steer them back for next year's contest.

Sounds unique. I'm reading 15x50 to be; 15 short sections of 50 words?

Sounds unique. I'm reading 15x50 to be; 15 short sections of 50 words?

Yes. I have several sets of 15 x 50-word stories already posted on Literotica. That equals 750 words and is the minimum required for a story posting.

This is my 2006 Valentine's day set of 15 x 50 words:

https://www.literotica.com/s/love-fifty

In practice, with my copyright, disclaimer, and the very short titles that don't count towards the 50 words my total is over 800 words.

Holy cow.

Anyone else seeing unexpectedly massive numbers of votes on this one? I won’t say I’m anywhere near as obsessive as some of you folks about counting votes, but my two little entries have already got far, far more votes than most of my other stories, even once the number of views is factored in.

I’m not complaining; it’s just very noticeable.

Welcome to the wild and wooly world of the Incest readership. The numbers there are always going to stun you the first time. It really is that far above and beyond most other categories.

My last one cleared 1000 votes in less than 24 hours.

Holy cow.

Anyone else seeing unexpectedly massive numbers of votes on this one? I won’t say I’m anywhere near as obsessive as some of you folks about counting votes, but my two little entries have already got far, far more votes than most of my other stories, even once the number of views is factored in.

Holy cow.

My entry last year was in Romance, and this year it's in I/T. I don't think it's surprising that I'm getting more votes than I did last year, but right now my contest story has 150% of the votes last year's story had at the end of the contest. It's also passed the number of favorites and views that last year's story got in a year, and it's been up for less than a week.

Unfortunately, the score this year isn't competitive. This year's entry will probably disappear from view after the contest, and last year's story will continue to get attention.

Last edited:
Holy cow.

Nope, but I guess it's the category thing. I always get a lot more views in First Time or Incest, but that goes with reader interest I guess. This time I posted in Non Con and it's not as low as SF, but still low compared to some of my others.

No, see, that’s what’s weird. I’m not really surprised by the Incest views; my first entry, in Mature, is also noticeably overvoted compared to my other stories.

It just surprised me, is all.

No, see, that’s what’s weird. I’m not really surprised by the Incest views; my first entry, in Mature, is also noticeably overvoted compared to my other stories.

Are you getting a lot of spin-off into your other stories? I'm getting some, but mostly to other I/T stories. The stories in EC that I really hoped would get more traffic haven't had a boost.

It just surprised me, is all.

Mature can go off like a rocket. My first there was a mini-hit, and is my equal most commented story. You can hit a chord with the Mature crowd and get a good response. Don't dare hint at GM, though - my follow up got a tenth the views because I had "men" plural in the title.

Mature can go off like a rocket. My first there was a mini-hit, and is my equal most commented story. You can hit a chord with the Mature crowd and get a good response. Don't dare hint at GM, though - my follow up got a tenth the views because I had "men" plural in the title.

Oh, I know. Mature is my jam, as the kids say. I’ve got other heavily-voted stories there, but not this much, this fast. As for GM... no fear there. It’s not really my demographic, though as a guy who stuck a cheating story in LW without knowing any better, I can empathize.

Are you getting a lot of spin-off into your other stories? I'm getting some, but mostly to other I/T stories. The stories in EC that I really hoped would get more traffic haven't had a boost.

Not really. That, too, is a little unusual.

Just sort of a weird contest for me, is all.

Not really. That, too, is a little unusual.

Just sort of a weird contest for me, is all.

It's odd for me, too. Big readership. Not overwhelming score. Just your titles and short description can trigger an avalanche of attention. Maybe you hit a chord.

I generated some traffic (ilke 4 votes 1 removed by the site) for part three of "A Valentine's Day Mess." I love the story, but I congratulate any reader who's willing to work through it; it's long and dense. Fortunately, it's popular among those who've earned the merit badge for reading 'long and dense.'

My entry

My submission Yes Ma'am definitely exceeded my other works as far as amount of views and votes. I mainly wanted to expand my readership (I've only been on Lit since Nov. '17) and have been pleased with the result.
I've been reading other Valentine's Day entries and many of them are fantastic. Keep up the good work!

A link to my story if you would be so kind to read:
https://www.literotica.com/s/yes-maam-4

Hi, I read the contest rules and noticed it said, "All submissions must be stand-alone stories created for this contest theme." Does that mean the submissions need to be valentines related, or that they need to be specifically written for this contest. I have a published Valentines book on Amazon and want to post it if it will qualify.

Thanks!

Hi, I read the contest rules and noticed it said, "All submissions must be stand-alone stories created for this contest theme." Does that mean the submissions need to be valentines related, or that they need to be specifically written for this contest. I have a published Valentines book on Amazon and want to post it if it will qualify.

Thanks!

The spirit of the competition is something written for this site, but the letter of the rules won't eliminate yours as an entry. Established Lit writers might raise an eyebrow if hundreds of Amazon fans then came along and stacked your vote (but other writers have hoards of followers so you wouldn't be alone in getting astonishing numbers of faves and votes).

It's all promotion, so it's pretty much fair game what you do.

The Valentine's Day theme is a loose concept. My little story had love and a red flower got mentioned, but I didn't go out of my way to find February on the calendar.

Thanks!

The responses from the readers to stories that don't stick close to the theme can be unpredictable and sometimes unfair. Almost any Romance story should fit but if Valentine's Day doesn't feature the response can be negative.

The story must be new to Literotica, and not part of a whole such as a chapter.

Apart from that? If it is new here, and doesn't breach the 'nothing sexual happens before 18' rule, it should be OK.

Back