Advice on boundaries in kinky casual encounters?

xallarap

Virgin
I recently started dabbling in rough sex/kink/light bdsm, not really because I sought it out- it just arose from a casual sex situation. I've been curious about bdsm for a long time and I definitely like some aspects of it, but I had never tried anything kinky until recently because I was too shy to talk about it and my partners were very vanilla. I'm currently non-monogamous and I have a few different friends-with-benefits/fuckbuddies. These aren't people I know well at all, I've only been meeting up with them since April or May.

About 10 days ago I had a threesome with a couple, and they were very rough. Or at least, more rough than I'm used to- lots of hard biting and pinching/pulling on my nipples and roughly squeezing my tits. I ended up with a ton of bruises on my tits and shoulders that are still (faintly) visible today. We hadn't talked about it ahead of time and I hadn't told them my boundaries, but they happened to not cross any of them. I had a great time and would totally do it again.

Last night I met up with a guy that I've been fucking for the past few months. Before yesterday the kinkiest he had gotten with me was light hair pulling and spanking, and we hadn't talked about bdsm at all. But we were chatting before sex last night and I told him a little about the threesome- all I said was that they were rough and left bruises. He saw the bruises later in the night, after we got each other's clothes off. And I guess he assumed that it meant he could be rough with me too? Things started out normally but then while I was sucking his dick, he randomly grabbed a fistful of my hair and started facefucking me violently. I would probably be okay with that, but it surprised me and he hit my gag reflex, so I pulled away to take a quick breath. When I tried to pull away he hit me hard, across the face, snapping my head to the side. And then tried to shove his dick back in my mouth.

He had no way of knowing this, because I'm very private about it until I know someone well enough and trust them (or you know, when I can hide behind anonymity on the internet), but I have ptsd from extended periods of severe child abuse. I did a couple years of therapy and I'm pretty good at coping now, but occasionally I'll still be triggered by something and have a panic attack or episode of dissociation. While I like some things in bdsm, like pain and biting and nipple torture and orgasm control, it's not a good idea for me to participate in hitting/choking because those things are likely to trigger my ptsd.

Anyway, I froze up when he hit me, I was scared, I backed out of his reach and couldn't look at him and couldn't find my voice. He immediately started to apologize ('I'm sorry, I thought you would like it, are you okay? I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have done that", etc.) but I was in 'protect myself' mode and I wordlessly found my clothes and got dressed and got the fuck out of there. I sat in my car for about 20 minutes and collected my thoughts and eventually decided to go back in to his apartment and talk to him about it. He was extremely apologetic and acknowledged that he should have asked me or talked to me about it first. I accepted his apology and explained a little about what my boundaries are and why. It was awkward and I left again pretty quickly.

I feel guilty for not expanding on the conversation about the rough threesome that left bruises. And for not being more proactive about discussing my boundaries/triggers. I had no reason to expect that sex with him would ever be kinkier than light hair pulling and spanking, and I definitely did not expect him to ever hit me, especially not that hard. I'm curious about some aspects of bdsm, but I didn't meet any of these fwb people in a bdsm setting. But it seems like a huge jump for him to go from 'this girl had rough sex with other people that left bruises below the neck' to 'it's okay for me to hit this girl across the face', right??

How could I have avoided this? Should I expect that once people know I have a kinky side, they might assume anything is fair game? What's the correct etiquette for setting up boundaries in kinky casual sex?

Safewords. And no, being into kinky sex is *no* excuse for someone assuming that anything is 'fair game', ever. The correct etiquette is to discuss your boundaries with your partner(s) before you have sex, even in casual encounters.

Sit them down, mention what they did wrong that you didn't like. Tell them your limits - at what point did it go from nice to nasty, when did it get unpleasant, when did you want them to stop?

Discuss with them some sort of vocal word or visual cue that signals that you want them to stop. Any sensible individual would stop immediately. For example, me and Master's cue is two fingers tapping on the nearest hard surface or his body. If I can talk, 'pax' is used.

I have to admit every time I have been in that position we had a chat on what I liked and what I didn't. what would be to much. She had experience and knew the right questions to ask. how much could I take and what would be off limits.
spanking, face slapping, and pain. can whips be used of just hands and where on my body.

its hard to just say lets talk, but you need to have a safe and fun time for both.
maybe he needs more experience on control?
you don't need to have things happen that trigger you off of its just not sexual fun

I guess what I'm specifically wondering is, is it common practice for the initiator to ask for consent before doing something like that during casual sex? Or to start a conversation about it ahead of time? Because there was no kinky/bdsm context to our sex at all before that, and I didn't even think to bring up those boundaries because I didn't think he would get anywhere near them anyway.

But it sounds like the best thing is for me to assume that any potential partner might want to do those things, and always bring up my boundaries before sex?

I guess what I'm specifically wondering is, is it common practice for the initiator to ask for consent before doing something like that during casual sex? Or to start a conversation about it ahead of time? Because there was no kinky/bdsm context to our sex at all before that, and I didn't even think to bring up those boundaries because I didn't think he would get anywhere near them anyway.

But it sounds like the best thing is for me to assume that any potential partner might want to do those things, and always bring up my boundaries before sex?

hard to plan when you might get rough. but maybe you can say before if you know your partner a little. or as soon as it seems its going to get rough you must stop and at least say what the things you really don't want done. the feel it out from there.
you must know your hard limits

Common practice or not, the kind of misunderstanding that happened between you and this guy can still happen from time to time.
He might have thought that he'd been too vanilla for you before perhaps?

If you are going down the road with more rough encounters, where you might have marks on your body when meeting someone not responsible for them or where discussion comes up about rough sex/BDSM, it might be a good idea to be clear about if there is going to be any rough play and if so make sure you have a safeword and some idea about limits.

If you recognize you have specific triggers from prior life-experiences, you are ethically obligated to discuss that BEFORE things get sexual. Or if not then, early on, outside of sex. Because yes, he should have asked (in a perfect world), but you can't expect your sex partners to be mind readers. There's nothing wrong with FWB/casual sex, but the odds of what happened continuing to happen, increases without planning and forethought.

Go over a bdsm checklist (for yourself). Figure out how to have the conversation(s). Use a safe word system, if you feel that will help

If you are going down the road with more rough encounters, where you might have marks on your body when meeting someone not responsible for them or where discussion comes up about rough sex/BDSM, it might be a good idea to be clear about if there is going to be any rough play and if so make sure you have a safeword and some idea about limits.

I think this is exactly what I needed to hear, thank you.

It's new territory for me and while I knew that talking about limits needed to happen in a bdsm situation, it wasn't obvious to me that it needed to happen in this situation. Like would a person be offended if I said 'by the way, I'm not okay with choking or hitting' as if I was anticipating that they wanted to hit me? Without any prompt for bringing it up? In this case I guess mentioning the rough sex/bruises was a prompt, and I see that in retrospect.

But I think you're right, it's a good idea for me to just be careful and practice talking about limits from now on. Thank you. :)

It's new territory for me and while I knew that talking about limits needed to happen in a bdsm situation, it wasn't obvious to me that it needed to happen in this situation. Like would a person be offended if I said 'by the way, I'm not okay with choking or hitting' as if I was anticipating that they wanted to hit me? Without any prompt for bringing it up? In this case I guess mentioning the rough sex/bruises was a prompt, and I see that in retrospect.

But I think you're right, it's a good idea for me to just be careful and practice talking about limits from now on. Thank you. :)

the more they learn about you the better time you will have

If you recognize you have specific triggers from prior life-experiences, you are ethically obligated to discuss that BEFORE things get sexual. Or if not then, early on, outside of sex. Because yes, he should have asked (in a perfect world), but you can't expect your sex partners to be mind readers. There's nothing wrong with FWB/casual sex, but the odds of what happened continuing to happen, increases without planning and forethought.

Go over a bdsm checklist (for yourself). Figure out how to have the conversation(s). Use a safe word system, if you feel that will help

Why do you say I'm ethically obligated to discuss my triggers before sex? Talking about them with new people is difficult for me because I've had experiences in the past where people haven't taken them seriously and have triggered me on purpose to see my reaction. Is it enough just to say 'I'm not okay with hitting and choking' without identifying those things as triggers?

But, thank you for the advice. I definitely need to put more research and careful thought into how I navigate these new bdsm/rough sex experiences.

Good to hear!

Yes, there are probably going to be awkward moments, but who gets through life without them? I'm happy when I make it through the day without one.:D

Perhaps go with what CutieMouse said and just tell them that you think that the should know that xyz activity might set off bad reactions from you and should be avoided. No need to tell them exactly why to begin with.

Good to hear!

Yes, there are probably going to be awkward moments, but who gets through life without them? I'm happy when I make it through the day without one.:D

Perhaps go with what CutieMouse said and just tell them that you think that the should know that xyz activity might set off bad reactions from you and should be avoided. No need to tell them exactly why to begin with.

Okay, I'll do that from now on. thank you so much for being so helpful, everyone :)

Why do you say I'm ethically obligated to discuss my triggers before sex? Talking about them with new people is difficult for me because I've had experiences in the past where people haven't taken them seriously and have triggered me on purpose to see my reaction. Is it enough just to say 'I'm not okay with hitting and choking' without identifying those things as triggers?

But, thank you for the advice. I definitely need to put more research and careful thought into how I navigate these new bdsm/rough sex experiences.

I didn't say discuss in depth. "By the way, I'm not okay with XYZ activities." or "XYZ are hard limits for me." = these activities (which happen to be triggers) are off limits.

I can get triggered over some seriously stupid shit - oddly most of which kinky people would consider very "vanilla" in scope. For me, that means I owe it to myself (and new partners) to make sure they know what they're dealing with. Does that mean I am obligated to dish out the whole sordid story? Fuck no. But saying something like "Ya know, odd as this may sound, XYZ is a bit difficult for me, so that's off the table" - is just in my own long term best interest.

Safewords. And no, being into kinky sex is *no* excuse for someone assuming that anything is 'fair game', ever. The correct etiquette is to discuss your boundaries with your partner(s) before you have sex, even in casual encounters.

Sit them down, mention what they did wrong that you didn't like. Tell them your limits - at what point did it go from nice to nasty, when did it get unpleasant, when did you want them to stop?

Discuss with them some sort of vocal word or visual cue that signals that you want them to stop. Any sensible individual would stop immediately. For example, me and Master's cue is two fingers tapping on the nearest hard surface or his body. If I can talk, 'pax' is used.

Safewords are helpful, but they're not a catch-all solution, because of stuff like:

Anyway, I froze up when he hit me, I was scared, I backed out of his reach and couldn't look at him and couldn't find my voice.

People who have a bad emotional reaction may not be able to safeword or may not feel safe doing so. So PYLs need to be watchful for signs of distress even if their pyl hasn't safeworded, especially with an unfamiliar partner or playing in new territory.

People who have a bad emotional reaction may not be able to safeword or may not feel safe doing so. So PYLs need to be watchful for signs of distress even if their pyl hasn't safeworded, especially with an unfamiliar partner or playing in new territory.

What does pyl mean?

Back