Firearm Expertise

Stay on the subject and leave the personal attacks alone.

I was saying if someone carries a loaded pistol with just the safety on it is unsafe. Even worse if they are so clueless as to not have it on. Did you ever see that video of the cop who tries to show a class of children his handgun and shoots himself?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am-Qdx6vky0

You don't know me or how I behave with a gun. Hunting with an unloaded gun doesn't work.

By the way in over 50 years, the only accidental discharge I ever experienced was that first time I fucked a girl. In that case her pubic hair tickled the end of mypenis and I ejaculated all over her vulva and pubic hair before getting my cock into her. Oh wait, that's for another forum.

Yes, I did see that video, it shows that one needs to learn about their weapon and takes some training. I don't know what you mean about so clueless as to not have it on, the Glock (probably a model 22 as it is a common .40 police issue) does not in face have an external safety to engage. It does have three internal ones though, and doesn't go off unless the trigger is pulled, which is what he did. He didn't render the weapon safe (drop magazine and rack slide) and had very poor handling skills to boot.

So how would you carry a pistol for defensive purposes? People have been carrying revolvers for decades, the vast majority without external safeties of any kind, safely. But you say carrying a loaded pistol with the safety on is unsafe, which leaves, what exactly?

But surely having your hunting gun loaded, by your view, makes it unsafe? That's kind of the point, they need to be loaded to work, many sidearms don't have external safeties, and they work just fine. Follow those simple rules that I posted earlier.

And my condolences about your accidental discharge. Hopefully you got a quick reload and were on target for the subsequent shot. :)

I don't and cannot by the laws of Canada carry for self defense. Full stop. Don't even own or ever intend to own a handgun. I don't live in a country so unsafe that it is necessary.

Regarding a hunting rifle or shotgun, when in the woods with others I do not chamber a cartridge until game is spotted. Alone, yeah, loaded with the safety on.

Waterfowling, in the blind I keep the safety on whether I'm alone or not and slide it off before shouldering the gun.

I don't and cannot by the laws of Canada carry for self defense. Full stop. Don't even own or ever intend to own a handgun. I don't live in a country so unsafe that it is necessary.

Regarding a hunting rifle or shotgun, when in the woods with others I do not chamber a cartridge until game is spotted. Alone, yeah, loaded with the safety on.

Waterfowling, in the blind I keep the safety on whether I'm alone or not and slide it off before shouldering the gun.

You never been up in the oil fields have you. Safe? LOL...rougher than any inner city in the US...and I have lived in both.

Two legged predators don't care about national boundaries, so I'm sure you've got your share of home break-ins and car-jackings too. Oh, and how about Polar bears, Brown bears, Black bears, etc... you might just have one or two of those around too

According to NationMaster, Canada has far more fear of crime than does the US (Fear of crime > Feels safe walking alone > At night)
Canada 59.14 Ranked 32nd. 41% more than United States
United States 41.84 Ranked 60th.

Why is that?

Last edited:
Why else include them in an erotica story, but to make your big gun spurt creamy stuff?

Fuck a bunch'a guns and the National Ratchet Asses.

I have no idea if you're being serious or not, but the examples of why you want to include a firearm are both obvious and plentiful. Why you would want to be accurate in your description is even more obvious.

What if one of the characters has to attend the funeral of a parent who was a veteran and you want to be accurate when describing the rifles used in the salute?

What if a character is a LEO and returns home at night and locks his gun in a safe and you don't want to embarrass yourself by referring to the weapon with the wrong terminology?

What if a character is selling off his father's hunting rifles after the parent passes away?

I have no idea if you're being serious or not, but the examples of why you want to include a firearm are both obvious and plentiful. Why you would want to be accurate in your description is even more obvious.

What if one of the characters has to attend the funeral of a parent who was a veteran and you want to be accurate when describing the rifles used in the salute?

What if a character is a LEO and returns home at night and locks his gun in a safe and you don't want to embarrass yourself by referring to the weapon with the wrong terminology?

What if a character is selling off his father's hunting rifles after the parent passes away?

Why would any of that be on an erotica site?

Why would any of that be on an erotica site?

Why wouldn't it?

Literotica is a site that has a collection of erotic stories. Stories have characters, locales, motivations, environments, etc.

Have you read any stories here that described the car someone was driving? What about the house they live in? The airport they were meeting someone at?

Have you read any stories here that described the car someone was driving? What about the house they live in? The airport they were meeting someone at?

If a story starts that kind of boring shit, I find the back button and move on.

If a story starts that kind of boring shit, I find the back button and move on.

You're certainly entitled to enjoy whatever floats your boat, but some of the highest rated stories on Literotica include stuff like background, characterization and details.

Those would be handguns, something I know little about.

I'm a hunter, a shotgun and rifle type.

That said, from watching cop shows, I always wonder how if someone who is unfamiliar with a semi-auto handgun grabs or finds a pistol, how do they know if the safety is on or off for example. And also, how do they know if it is cocked or not.

Most pistols(ie. revolvers) don't have a safety and there is always a cap under the firing pin until you have discharged them all.

There are even automatics without a safety, Glocks come to mind, and those who used them have the locked and loaded.

The saying goes, keeping your finger off the trigger is the best safety you have.

You don't walk around with your finger on the trigger with a shotgun or rifle I hope?

I read a story last week where the author repeatedly referred to "Cocking The Trigger"

While talking about shooting someone with a 9MM Semi-automatic handgun.:rolleyes:

I may send off an email yet...

With the older 9MM semi-autos didn't come in double action and you had to cock them manually, but only the first time.

I own one, a Browning High Power 9MM single action semi-automatic. You carry it at half cock and the safety on, one in the chamber, 15 in the mag.

I love threads like this. Easiest way to add to my ignore list.

With the older 9MM semi-autos didn't come in double action and you had to cock them manually, but only the first time.

I own one, a Browning High Power 9MM single action semi-automatic. You carry it at half cock and the safety on, one in the chamber, 15 in the mag.

Those are fantastic pistols. Wish they were still available.

Those are fantastic pistols. Wish they were still available.

In my honest opinion, no.

It had some new features for its time (large capacity double stack magazine) but it has a horrible trigger and is very hard to shoot well.
The Danish army got them in 1946 (from a pre-WWII order), but once they actually tried them and compared them to other pistols, they only bought the absolute minimum to fulfill the order, then got another pistol within 5 years.

The next pistol was the SIG P210, which is an absolute pleasure to shoot.
(It only has an 8 round magazine, an annoying magazine release and it does not block the firing pin when “safe”...... but it is pure joy on the range. “Forgotten Weapons” has an episode about it, for those who do not know it).
Probably this year, the Army is going to retire the P210 and buy a pistol of a contemporary design. But it has served well since ‘49.
:rose:

It had some new features for its time (large capacity double stack magazine) but it has a horrible trigger and is very hard to shoot well.
The Danish army got them in 1946 (from a pre-WWII order), but once they actually tried them and compared them to other pistols, they only bought the absolute minimum to fulfill the order, then got another pistol within 5 years.

(It only has an 8 round magazine, an annoying magazine release and it does not block the firing pin when “safe”...... but it is pure joy on the range. “Forgotten Weapons” has an episode about it, for those who do not know it).
Probably this year, the Army is going to retire the P210 and buy a pistol of a contemporary design. But it has served well since ‘49.

Could there have been a difference between the military version and the ones that went to consumer distribution? I only ask because I have shot several, and while the trigger on one was unbelievably bad, the others were incredibly nice. The one with a bad trigger was indeed difficult to shoot with extreme accuracy, but there was no such issue with the others.

I have heard incredible things about the P210, but haven't seen one in the wild.

Thanks for the info, that was very interesting to learn.

Could there have been a difference between the military version and the ones that went to consumer distribution? I only ask because I have shot several, and while the trigger on one was unbelievably bad, the others were incredibly nice. The one with a bad trigger was indeed difficult to shoot with extreme accuracy, but there was no such issue with the others.

I have heard incredible things about the P210, but haven't seen one in the wild.

Thanks for the info, that was very interesting to learn.

It is a possibility.

It would not be the first time a military weapon was given a crazy-heavy trigger pull, probably based on how often people managed to shoot themself or their friends, relative to injured enemies.
:eek:

I have only shot one of them (of military origin and I ended up pouring several hundred rounds through it) and it had the heavy trigger.
I base my generalization on talking with a Home Guard firearms instructor (they got the pistols from the army.... some present!), and all the pistols he had encountered, had the heavy trigger.

The great thing about having to kick the trigger is, that you really learn to work the trigger without moving the pistol.

It is a possibility.

It would not be the first time a military weapon was given a crazy-heavy trigger pull, probably based on how often people managed to shoot themself or their friends, relative to injured enemies.
:eek:

I have only shot one of them (of military origin and I ended up pouring several hundred rounds through it) and it had the heavy trigger.
I base my generalization on talking with a Home Guard firearms instructor (they got the pistols from the army.... some present!), and all the pistols he had encountered, had the heavy trigger.

The great thing about having to kick the trigger is, that you really learn to work the trigger without moving the pistol.

I always shake my head at the dumbing down of tech because so many people don't pay attention. Heavy trigger pulls (you may be right on the money there), three-round burst instead of full automatic, inclusion of 'internal' safeties that are set by the owner through a key (and often make the weapon clunkier to shoot), etc. The worst are those ultra-heavy trigger pulls, somehow deemed more safe when in reality adding to the problem. Take the NYPD and their weapons, the Glock. The trigger pullls are set to an insane level, over ten pounds, rendering accurate fire a severe problem.

As for military weapons, I can recall breaking down a lot of 1911s for cleaning and maintenance, all with gritty operation from mismatched parts and general rough tolerances. Compare that to a gun shop offering, and it is truly night and day.

In my life I have heard of cocking a pistol...Cocking the hammer on a firearm,Cocking something over the shoulder...Hell, even Cocking a rooster in some backwoods areas!

But never "cocking a trigger!"

A trigger can cock a hammer on a firearm and release it!

In my life I have heard of cocking a pistol...Cocking the hammer on a firearm,Cocking something over the shoulder...Hell, even Cocking a rooster in some backwoods areas!

But never "cocking a trigger!"

A trigger can cock a hammer on a firearm and release it!

Don't forget those other great ones such as 'pumping a round into the double-barrel shotgun', 'using the .12 gauge' and 'setting the bolt-action rifle to full auto'. :D

I love my High Power. I have never found it hard to shoot. As for the model I have, the front and rear sights are fully adjustable for windage and elevation. I know the military models only had a 13 round magazine. The one I purchased back in '73 came with a 15 round magazine. Nice walnut hand grips.

It was and is almost a perfect firearm. The only thing you could change or actually add is double action. That way you would have to carry it cocked or take the time to cock it is a need arose to use it to defend yourself.

Don't forget those other great ones such as 'pumping a round into the double-barrel shotgun', 'using the .12 gauge' and 'setting the bolt-action rifle to full auto'. :D

The best one I ever read was where the hero bought a new 20 ga. shotgun and, while trying it out, started off with .410 shells and ended up with the 12 ga. shells because "those were the largest that would fit in the gun." (True story. And it's a kneeslapper.)

I teach firearms classes for concealed carry applicants and renewals. I stress firearms safety for the whole duration of the class. I don't teach any of the asinine things that non-firearm-owing idiots dream up thinking it makes them sound cool. No instructor that I know of does that crap.

There are 4 rules for fireams safety:
  • A gun is always considered to be loaded.
  • NEVER put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
  • NEVER point a gun at something you aren't willing to destroy.
  • ALWAYS be sure of what is behind your target and that it is safe to shoot in that direction.
The NRA and other orgs have shortened the 4 rules into 3 by combining the last two but I was taught that it's 4 and that's what I teach. 4 simple and complete ideas that don't get mixed up or jumbled in the students' minds.

Probably the most commonly owned handgun is a.22 revolver. A lot of people who otherwise aren't into guns own them for home defense. Revolvers are simple to use, point and click. .22's also have almost no recoil to deal with. And they're dirt cheap.

Most people who are into guns own semi-auto pistols. Not all, but most do. A lot of them wind up with .40 caliber Glocks because they're cheap and available everywhere. Women carry them too, though a lot of women find them too "snappy" for comfort. Those in that camp tend to gravitate down to 9mm or .380. There are more than a few gun girls who like semi-auto's in .45. And, for them, there ain't nothing sweeter and sexier than a well worn and lovingly used 1911. Except another 1911 that matches her shoes and earrings perfectly.

New women shooters tend to like smaller sized guns but eventually gravitate to standard sized arms. I think it's because the tiny guns don't look as nasty as the bigger ones. They're "cuter" or something. However, the smaller gun in any given caliber tends to recoil harder because the physics (equal and opposite reaction) means that the smaller gun is lighter and therefore is easier to move with the same amount of applied force. This translates to harsher recoil from the smaller/lighter arm.

Revolvers are called "girl guns" because of a lot of women carry them in their purses. Hammerless revolvers are easy to conceal and there's no sharp hammer hanging out there to snag on the purse or pocket when drawing. The good thing about revolvers is that they go bang with each trigger pull. Pistols sometimes malfunction and a good shooter practices his malfunction drills on a regular basis.

The bad thing about revolvers is that they only carry 5 or 6 rounds (although some were designed to carry 9) and are slower to reload.

Also, learn the difference between single action and double action. You can find both types for revolvers as well as pistols.

Cops carry what they're issued whenever they're on duty. Some carry their duty arm while off duty too if it's what they'd otherwise carry for themselves anyway. Some departments issue Glocks and some officers don't like them for personal safety so they carry something else when off-duty. It's a personal preference thing. Other departments issue Smith & Wesson M&P pistols rather than Glocks. Beretta is another common duty pistol, especially for the military police. The most common police caliber is .40 S&W.

I don't know of any department that still issues revolvers, though some might if the officer requests one and they still have one in their armory.

Most common revolver caliber is .38. .357 revolvers can shoot .38's rounds but .38's can't shoot .357's because they're too long (not too big) for the cylinder and/or the steel used for the gun may not be strong enough to handle the higher gas pressures of the .357 without failure.

Ammo: Used or new unloaded cases are empty brass. Brass is the case. Fired ammo is called spent. Cartridges or rounds are loaded ammo. Bullets are the projectiles. Powder is ignited by the primer. You put bullets into cases. You load rounds or cartridges into the cylnder or magazine.

Gun parts have a distinct nomenclature. If you're going to talk guns, learn the names of the parts for each type of weapon. For instance, there are no cylinders on a pistol and you do not use CLIPS in them. CLIPS go in your hair or your rifle, but not your pistol. MAGAZINES go in your pistols and on your coffee table and the bedside table and in your pocket and/or mag carrier. Hide the dirty ones from your mom. At least until after you clean them. I don't know of any mom who tolerates her kids having dirty magazines lying around everywhere in the house.

I'll end the wall of text now but don't start to believe that even if you memorize everything I said here that you have a good grasp on any of this stuff. If you REALLY want to learn, go take a NRA basic pistol class. it's 2 days and costs around $200 but you'll actually learn the things you need to know to BEGIN to learn about guns safely.

Last edited:
Re: nomenclature. I own 3 revolvers with swing out cylinders, at least, that's what I've always heard them called.

Back