How to write...

guyver101

Virgin
Hi all

I just wanted to ask two things.

1. I don't know if anyone knows what am talking about but does have tips to write a POV or 1st person story?

2. Can I use a echo as a onomatopoeia?

Thank you.

Hi all

I just wanted to ask two things.

1. I don't know if anyone knows what am talking about but does have tips to write a POV or 1st person story?

2. Can I use a echo as a onomatopoeia?

Thank you.

Good questions.

Writing in first person is no different than writing in, say 3rd person. (To my mind, writing in 2nd person is that hardest.) It's a classic story-teller's point of view:

I woke up in the morning and really needed a coffee, so I made one and had it sitting on the back porch. While I was sitting there, I watched a bird fly by. I really liked the graceful way it flapped its wings.

That's 1st person, just telling what happened to you. Many stories here are written that way.

As to using an echo as an onomatopoeia, I must confess I'm not sure what you mean, using it in that sense. Have you an example in mind?

In any case, a writer can do almost anything, so long as what they are writing 'works'. Does the reader understand it easily? Is it fun to read? Is the author's intent clear? Don't be constrained by rules.

Good questions.

Writing in first person is no different than writing in, say 3rd person. (To my mind, writing in 2nd person is that hardest.) It's a classic story-teller's point of view:

I woke up in the morning and really needed a coffee, so I made one and had it sitting on the back porch. While I was sitting there, I watched a bird fly by. I really liked the graceful way it flapped its wings.

That's 1st person, just telling what happened to you. Many stories here are written that way.

As to using an echo as an onomatopoeia, I must confess I'm not sure what you mean, using it in that sense. Have you an example in mind?

In any case, a writer can do almost anything, so long as what they are writing 'works'. Does the reader understand it easily? Is it fun to read? Is the author's intent clear? Don't be constrained by rules.

Mmm I may have said the wrong words, I could be thinking it's 2nd person I can't explain it well never been a good writer

This is what I mean "Now here we are and let me welcome you to your room, this is one of our high class room. Let me run some things over with you." something like that.

Also with the echo one I said the wrong word sorry, what am thinking of is a group of people saying the same word at the same time.

Mmm I may have said the wrong words, I could be thinking it's 2nd person I can't explain it well never been a good writer

This is what I mean "Now here we are and let me welcome you to your room, this is one of our high class room. Let me run some things over with you." something like that.

Also with the echo one I said the wrong word sorry, what am thinking of is a group of people saying the same word at the same time.

Ah!

To take them out of order, you can certainly have people saying the same thing at once. Doing it over and over - unless there is a good reason - might be off-putting to some.

1st person is talking about yourself. I felt my heart throb when you kissed me under the bleachers. I did my best to kiss you back. It felt wonderful.

2nd person is talking to somebody else about what the person they are talking to did or felt. You took that girl under the bleachers before kissing her. The look on your face was triumphant.

3rd person is talking neither about what happened to yourself, nor about telling somebody else what they did or what happened to them. Patty's heart pounded when Jack kissed her under the bleachers. Her hands began to run up and down Jack's back.

In other words, 1st person is about me - the writer, the speaker. 2nd person is talking about you - the person the speaker is speaking to. 3rd person is about them or it - anybody and anything else.

Many people find 2nd person the hardest to write. I've never had that much success with it, but it can certainly be done.

Last edited:
Back