Wok, Has Anything Changed ?

gotsnowgotslush

skates like Eck
Joined
Dec 24, 2007
Posts
25,720
Should we be expecting something large, Orange, and out-of-place, in one of Kim Jong Il's military extravaganza parades ?
 
A wok is Chinese, Kim Jong Il is Korean and dead.

Maybe we should expect a racist zombie parade?
 
June 12, 2018

"I spoke by phone with Katy Oh, the co-author of three books on North Korea."
- Isaac Chotiner

(about the Trump extravaganza with Kim Jong Un)

Isaac Chotiner: Was there nothing positive?



Katy Oh:

Although the two leaders issued a stupid document and communiqué, a written document has some weight. But they didn’t put down anything that will drive North Korea to denuclearize—it’s got to be a joke. And although I think the nuclear issue is the most important issue for the United States and global security, the worst dictator [was just] welcomed with compliments by the CEO of the United States. All in all, I am very down today, and very frustrated.


Isaac Chotiner:

Three things have changed in North Korea. Kim replaced his father. Trump became president. And South Korea elected a leader more willing to negotiate.

Katy Oh:

You are right. The receptiveness [of the] South Korean government to North Korean demands is one of the most important factors. South Korea is the one who will give the economic aid. Do you think Donald Trump will give any money to North Korea? South Korea is receptive, [though], and is willing to fill the North’s economic demands. This is why Kim said, I cannot lose this golden opportunity.


Isaac Chotiner:

Will there be South Korean angst about Trump announcing that military exercises will be put on hold ?

Katy Oh:

South Korean politics is a whole different chapter. It’s not a united society. It’s not a consolidated society. There are people who are very pro–North Korean and pro-Chinese and very anti-American and anti-Japanese as well as a lot of people who think America is the best ally and that South Korea should improve its relationship with Japan. The country is divided. The people who have been arguing that the United States should withdraw and that the people of a unified Korea will then have a better life and future without the presence of superpower America are happy. But some of the country’s leaders and elites will begin to worry: We expected a much more detailed document that [would lay] down an implementation process.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...reement-produced-at-the-trump-kim-summit.html
 
'Any notion that we’re simply going to denuclearize North Korea now after the summit, or any time in the very near future, must be dispelled.'

-James McKeon, Center For Arms Control And Non- Proliferation


1994 Agreed Framework between the US and North Korea


North Korea pursues enriched uranium, despite agreement


June 12, 2018

Trump gave the longtime US adversary far too much

“It’s substantively worse than what any other president has done,” she says, noting that the joint exercises aren’t just for show. The US rotates troops in and out of South Korea every few years; training with local counterparts helps newly stationed units prepare for potential North Korean aggression.

-Mieke Eoyang, a national security analyst for center-left think tank Third Way


In return for that real loss, the US gained the same promise North Korea has made since 1985, without a single specific about how to accomplish it. There’s no agreement on inspections. North Korea doesn’t have to declare the facilities it has, much less dismantle them, to say nothing of destroying actual warheads.

“As an analyst, I’m skeptical that this is the time that it’s finally going to come together. I’m certainly skeptical of the fact that the North is going to completely denuclearize itself.”

-John Carl Baker, a political engagement specialist at Ploughshares Fund (grantmaking foundation that focuses on denuclearization)

Trump very recently tore up a nuclear inspection framework that was actually working in Iran, and it’s hard to see how or why North Korea would go through with a promise that it has broken time and again. Especially this time.

-Brian Barrett
author of article
Slate
Security

Listed at link -

ALL THE TIMES NORTH KOREA PROMISED TO DENUCLEARIZE


https://www.wired.com/story/north-korea-summit-denuclearize-history/

gsgs comment, from what I had gathered from this month's discussion, is that Kim Jong Un has been dishonest, deceptive, and misleading, about fulfilling requirements./end gsgs comment

The most remarkable aspect of the joint statement was what it didn’t contain. There was nothing about North Korea freezing plutonium and uranium programs, nothing about destroying intercontinental ballistic missiles, nothing about allowing inspectors to return to nuclear sites, nothing about North Korea making a full declaration of its nuclear program, nothing about a timetable, nothing about verification, not even any clear pledge to permanently halt testing of nuclear weapons or long-range missiles.

Kim seems to have completely out-negotiated Trump, and it’s scary that Trump doesn’t seem to realize this. For now Trump has much less to show than past negotiators who hammered out deals with North Korea like the 1994 Agreed Framework, which completely froze the country’s plutonium program with a rigorous monitoring system ...

-New York Times columnist Nicholas Kristoff

12 Jun 2018

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...n-?page=with**Ablock-5b1fa75be4b06f2cac87a9ef
 
https://www.wsj.com/articles/north-...-facility-despite-summit-diplomacy-1530100351

SEOUL—North Korea is continuing to develop infrastructure at its nuclear research center at a rapid pace, according to new satellite imagery of the facility, even as the U.S. looks for concrete steps by Pyongyang toward denuclearization.

The analysis, published by 38 North, a North Korea-focused website published by the Stimson Center in Washington, found that Pyongyang appeared to have modified the cooling system of its plutonium-production reactor and erected a new building near the cooling tower.
 
I think it would be fun to ship the London Trump balloon to North Korea to see if they would float it in their next military parade. I bet they would. :D
 
I think it would be fun to ship the London Trump balloon to North Korea to see if they would float it in their next military parade. I bet they would. :D

LOL. They might, if it is sold to them in the right way. Being totalitarian communists they can do it fully believing they do it in Trump's prise if necessary.
 
August 13, 2018


North Korea continues to blow off Trump's negotiators while strengthening nuclear program


North Korea has a counter-offer: Lift the sanctions first

Then, maybe we'll talk.


https://www.dailykos.com/stories/20...gotiators-while-strengthening-nuclear-program

August 10, 2018

North Korea rejecting US proposals in diplomatic standoff


North Korea says it wants sanctions pressure lifted and a peace treaty it will take further steps



https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/10/poli...ent=2018-08-12T07**A02**A03&utm_medium=social
 
Back
Top