Happy Groundhog Day

sirhugs

Riding to the Rescue
upon seeing her shadow, Polly goes back to bed and fucks for six more weeks.

That's what I've got.

Who does Polly fuck?
How do they end up in her bed?

What if we add a supernatural bent?

Small town where farming is all important. Each year, a naked woman crawls out of the Earth and wanders the town, looking for entertainment, food, and sex. If she sees her shadow before being satisfied or if she's displeased, she crawls back and winter lasts for 6 more weeks.

If she's satisfied, spring comes early and the town prospers. If she's really satisfied she takes a lover back with her until spring starts.

So each year the adults comb the town trying to find and please her before she runs off.

What happens when an outsider gets involved though? Maybe some big city woman moves in and sees the girl first and misunderstands what's going on.

What if we add a supernatural bent?

Small town where farming is all important. Each year, a naked woman crawls out of the Earth and wanders the town, looking for entertainment, food, and sex. If she sees her shadow before being satisfied or if she's displeased, she crawls back and winter lasts for 6 more weeks.

If she's satisfied, spring comes early and the town prospers. If she's really satisfied she takes a lover back with her until spring starts.

So each year the adults comb the town trying to find and please her before she runs off.

What happens when an outsider gets involved though? Maybe some big city woman moves in and sees the girl first and misunderstands what's going on.

Or you could go the movie route and have some guy repeating his day over and over. He ends up fucking every woman that he's attracted to in the town.

Or you could go the movie route and have some guy repeating his day over and over. He ends up fucking every woman that he's attracted to in the town.
I think I saw that idea here some time back. Following the flick, he must fuck the *same* gal(s) / guy(s) / unicorn(s) every day till he gets it right. Improve his techniques, learn sensitivity, don't just be his usual arrogant Don Juan Tromp.

Hmmm, that's an idea... the MC is an arrogant billionaire running beauty contests so he can pork the contestants. His very own Groundhog Day has him doing a bevy over and over till he learns humility. When he emerges as a better man, his political aspirations have evaporated. Yeah, that's a wild fantasy...

That story might have happened...but after keeping the loop up for a trillion years without the subject learning humility, the forces at play ended up killing themselves.

That story might have happened...but after keeping the loop up for a trillion years without the subject learning humility, the forces at play ended up killing themselves.
Yeah, that's possible / probable with *that* subject. Can't the powers-that-be move the auto-repeat day off to another corner of the universe so we Earthlings won't be bothered?

Which leads to a serious question about the very GhD premise: What happens in our universe whilst one subject's day goes on maxi-replay? Is the rest of reality suspended in time while they're hopefully taught a lesson? Does the GhD thang happen in a string-theory micro-dimension running its own time scale? If the subject never emerges, does life go on without them?

I read an article that mentioned that Bill Murray's character repeated the same day for 10,000 years.

I read an article that mentioned that Bill Murray's character repeated the same day for 10,000 years.
That's what the film's Buddhist director Harold Ramis said, that it takes 10k years for a spirit to evolve to the next level. At least Murry got laid every now and then. (See Wikipedia.)

EDIT: Let's consider various stereotypical characters caught in time loops.

* Bleeding-Heart Liberal tries to reform rather fast but finds it's not The Way.
* Principled Hard-Ass Conservative reforms itself more slowly, but to no avail.
* Sociopathic User enjoys an eternity of no-consequence sin, learns nothing.
* Mystic Explorer uses eternity to sample all sorts of transcendental hoohah.
* Whore (any gender) finds they can't save their earnings, must love for free.
* Engineer can't save designs / constructs, must rebuild their mind instead.

Any or all of these (and more) could make excellent time-loop stories. But again, what's the Real World doing whilst they're set to infinite replay?

Last edited:
Update: the history of Groundhog Day

Punxsutawney Phil's Greatest Hits -- "The famous groundhog has gone through some weird times."
Before Groundhog Day meant placing faith in the shadow-based whims of groundhogs, it meant eating them.... the Groundhog Club actually started as a group of people who liked to hunt and eat groundhogs, and tended to celebrate this trait on one particular day of the year. “Fellowship, oratory, skits, and rites of initiation were soon emphasized,” ...and it was only a short hop from there to groundhog worship. No wonder the poor thing is scared of his shadow.
There's lots more. Fun article on a great site.

and only a short hop to cosplay, leading to (fake) groundhog fucking.
OK, so an exotic/erotic resort hosts a Groundhog Day orgy where all arrive dressed as giant groundhogs and spend as little time as possible nibbling off the furs before commencing the rabid fornicating. Right.

Expand that. The GhD pr0n network hosts competitive fuck-a-hog-a-thons worldwide. Do we see better hog-fucking in Tokyo, Auckland, Mumbai, Dubai, Athens, Naples, Marseilles, London, Boston, Buenos Aires, Honolulu? How do YOU rate?

I was just about to post this idea but fortunately searched first and found you beat me to it. I don't have time to write stories these days, but would like to see someone develop it, especially since there's so much you could do with it. My more specific thought was that the guy would try fucking (or getting sucked by, etc.) every woman, but not always successfully. Perhaps the guy would first find a prostitute, or a bar floozy, who he could rely upon for regular sex, and could go back to her/them whenever other encounters fail, but then would branch out, seducing increasingly more challenging women. Some could of course never be seduced in the span of a day, but perhaps there would be some who seemed inaccessible but would become so with enough experimentation.

Of course, a writer could go the non-consensual route, with the subject excusing it to himself as doing no permanent harm since everything reverts back to start overnight, but I would rather not read that sort of story or have it written. Perhaps he might try this once or twice and then quickly regard it as not only morally wrong--since harm is done even if it is not permanent--but as beneath him since he has infinite days to achieve more satisfying relationships with women who want him, once he figures out how to present himself to them as wantable.

It could then perhaps follow the movie ending, with the guy finding out how to escape the cycle with the woman he has the best intimacy + sex with, or leave it open ended where he might do that one day, but for now enjoys playing with different members of his found "harem" in the town, reveling in their differences and his ability to switch between them without anyone finding out.

This idea just occurred to me a couple days ago and I'm surprised someone hasn't developed it yet, it sounds so obvious once you think of it.

I brought up this point when the thread still lived:
Can't the powers-that-be move the auto-repeat day off to another corner of the universe so we Earthlings won't be bothered?

Which leads to a serious question about the very GhD premise: What happens in our universe whilst one subject's day goes on maxi-replay? Is the rest of reality suspended in time while they're hopefully taught a lesson? Does the GhD thang happen in a string-theory micro-dimension running its own time scale? If the subject never emerges, does life go on without them?
So, maybe a GhD story told from the PoV of whatever superhuman entity(s) setup the loop, watching as a human strives toward adequacy. Is only one human so looped, or are zillions of folks caught in recurrence bubbles? Do bubbles ever merge? Let's have two or more folks caught in parallel loops. How do they interact?

I brought up this point when the thread still lived:
So, maybe a GhD story told from the PoV of whatever superhuman entity(s) setup the loop, watching as a human strives toward adequacy. Is only one human so looped, or are zillions of folks caught in recurrence bubbles? Do bubbles ever merge? Let's have two or more folks caught in parallel loops. How do they interact?

Every recurrence bubble typically have a set goal. It could be personal growth, it could be perfect event, or solving a mystery. Two bubbles could merge if their goals are merging.

If two people, say Mark and Sally are active actors in the same bubble they still have discover that, but it shouldn't be hard to notice the only other human who act freely, changing their actions without provocation. However, a bubble with two sources of uncertainty will be much more chaotic to begin with. This could even be a signal of merger, your repetitive world gets some limited life to it, and they have to find each other to restore the order, get their now shared bubble back under control. Once together they can do all kinds of crazy shit, shameless public sex, threesomes with various statists, whatever.

A slightly more interesting, but perhaps needlessly complex situation could be if the merging happen not to be on 1:1 ratio, but say 3:1 -- Sally gets one repeat of her day for ever three repeats for Mark. So every third Mark day Sally introduce unique events. But what happens on Sally's off days? Is she completely absent from Mark's world the other two days from the three day cycle, or mindlessly repeat her last active day? If so, does she react on stimulation, can she still display conditional reactions she will forget?

Imagine recurrence universe where various people could conditionally change their behaviour to a new patern, in practice a giant living doll show, and MC job is to engineer the perfect event. While on the way all kinds of absurd is possible. One day you convince same girl to take off all her clothes and go down the street just for gigs, next day you see her doing just that without you interacting with her at all, but you have no idea what will stick and wouldn't, and have to figure out that first. A complete mindfuck would be to introduce cyclically free characters to that.

Hyper-intelligent telepathic radioactive giant squids actually control time, space, and life within a couple million or so miles of Terra (Earth). They set human recurrence bubbles for their own amusement. Why are you caught in a bubble? Ask a squid-god.

For fun, they merge and un-merge bubbles randomly. Will the bubbled humans know?

Maybe humans in bubbles remember. Maybe they recall only the prior day, or time as usual, or everything in such detail that they go mad. How do you stay sane when every day is just like the last, except your behavior? Do you figure your behavior any day doesn't matter, because today will restart tomorrow?

If today doesn't matter, what's to stop you going on sprees of rape, murder, mayhem, etc? Shoot a dog and it's back tomorrow. Shoot a neighbor and he's back tomorrow. Commit sexual assaults; by tomorrow, they never happened. If you're jailed today, will you be free tomorrow? If you shoot yourself, or someone else does, will you be back, intact? Do you want to test that?

Stealing anything you can't consume before midnight is useless -- it'll be back tomorrow. Revenge is futile. Work and creation are futile. Anything done now is undone tomorrow. But you probably won't contract new diseases, and any injuries will go away.

Do recurrence bubbles have backdoors? Can bubbled humans find the escape hatch? I'd like to redo days until I'm perfect playing Rhapsody In Blue on chromatic harmonica. But I'd want to return to realtime where it matters.

Back