"Rebuild": A Zombie Survival RP

At the Garden Center
Ria


"You are right," I told Cramer. "What we had is loaded in the party van and the delivery truck from here, time is running. I don't want to stay much longer, we have to unload the trucks at the Knight too. But the teenagers' mom hasn't arrived yet and people are loading new carts all the time. Which isn't bad of course, we won't we back here soon. In the near future we have other things to do. This afternoon we need to get bedding and stuff, tomorrow and day after we need to fortify the Knight, and then we need some more days to get all the stuff sorted and more work at the Knight before we get more food. Lots of food." Cramer didn't look too pleased and went away. I studied Cramer. He wasn't walking right, a bit stooped. I sighed. Some men are a bit stubborn ...

I tried to plan ahead while I looked at him, texted Bart to ask if he would arrive to pick up the kids, or if we should take them with us to Knight for the moment. Quite soon Cramer came back, again carrying something.

"Would you stop pushing heavy stuff around and loading it into the vans, Cramer? Please? Why do you think I asked you to keep a lookout? We need you tomorrow. I need you to tomorrow. Using a chainsaw will put a strain on your ribs. So please, don't do anything else as to breath, keep watch and drive your truck later on. Please Cramer?"

He didn't respond, he wasn't even looking at me; his eyes were fixated on a point over my shoulder. I turned my head. Then I turned completely and took a few steps backwards until I bumped into Cramer's chest. Slowly I shook my head. Paul and Skip were coming towards us. Behind them some others who I couldn't see over the pre-shaped pond Paul and Skip were carrying. I only could see more ponds ... Cramer stepped back and I followed, never losing contact with him.

"What the heck ..." I murmured when Paul passed me. I saw it wasn't one pond but a set of four or five, stacked inside each other, each pre-shaped with different levels from shallow at the rands to deep in the middle.

"The ducks will love one," Paul said, "and we could put the chickens in one too. Some chicken wire over the top and they have a lovely stall." I just nodded.

"We could bath in one, the kids I mean, we would need a deeper one. Stewart and John found a Jacuzzi big enough for three or four at the same time," Skip added. Again I just nodded.

"A Jacuzzi ..." I murmured a bit belatedly when John and Stewart had passed with it, only to see more ponds arriving. Thomas and Vince carrying this set, bigger ponds than the first had been lugging.

"Minigardens," Thomas explained in passing.

"And fishponds," Vince added, "there are some more, we will get those too. Just stack these in the truck first."

I couldn't decide if should nod or shake my head, and kind of did both at the same time. The rear was brought up by the teenagers, each pushing a cart, one loaded with chicken wire, one with water plants, plastic containers with Koi and goldfishes in them and sacks and cartons with fish food.

Amazing people, all of them. My heart suddenly jumped and I realized it was with the love I felt for them all. I blinked my eyes, some tears had formed in them.
 
I looked on with my jaw agape at the people Ria had for team one, which I was a part of and wished that Norah was seeing this. Placing my hands on Ria's shoulders as she backed into me, stepping back she followed still with her back pressed against my chest "Alright Ria...but just because ye asked me to nicely Darlin.'' Shaking my head I let my hands drop from her shoulders, I thought careful now don't send an unintentional message here man.

I headed back the the checkout line to rest my ribs awhile, easing myself up on the item track. I pull from the Power Bar Norah gave me this morning. Snagging a bottled water from a tray TD carried past me to load up, opening the bottle taking a swig setting it between my legs. Then unwrap the Power Bar pulling the banana down taking a bite, opening my bottle of Ibuprofen I take four more of the tablets.

Watching everyone busy I watched still wanted to help out, but my left ribs began to stiffen up when I stopped. With my baseball bat across my knees keeping a lookout for Uglies that might turn up, taking a relaxing breath it makes me grimace with a grunt as painful twinge went through my left ribcage. Ria had obviously noticed that I was favoring my left side more and more, yeah big ole stubborn redneck he thinks he can't stop and rest like us mortals.

I figured that's what she was thinking about me anyway, damn if that was true the martial arts Ninja gal has you pegged Homer ole feller. Chuckling at my own thoughts I'd wince from that damned twinge again, a massage and a heating pad would feel great right about now. I thought of Kaitlyn and Norah having neither one to love me, I even felt lonely amidst a crowd and it wasn't something a person got use to.
 
Last edited:
Breakfast was the same as supper. Dry cereal. I ate it but didn't taste it. Taking a glass of water from the tap I Frank deeply. Only when I finished did I think that the water may no longer be drinkable. I needed to find a solution to that and quickly. I wondered if the Knight had a solution or an even bigger problem than I had. My head ached from dehydration and from the contusions gained yesterday. "Headbutting the road is not the best idea old man." I said aloud.

I called Framk and the Hunter and arranged to meet them to discuss last night and what to do for the future to defend the Street. For now the garden centre would have to wait.

Dressed in my own clothes now I felt better. Heading for the door I strapped on my old police belt, checked my sidearm and skid it home clipping the safety strap to secure it. Opening the door I checked the street for any activity. All was quiet for now. I walked over to Peters building pressing the intercom. It crackled into life. "Bart?" It questioned. "No I'm a zombie that's remembered I left my arm in your apartment. Now let me in." I chided. The door latch clicked and the buzzer buzzed. I was inside.

Instead of heading straight to Peters moms house I checked the doors and windows of the other houses. All were locked. I guessed that most would be empty. Most people would have been out. In one or two I think I heard noise. Maybe it was my ears playing tricks on me.

We needed to get into all of them. Check for food, check for zombies locked inside. We would need a clearance team. I guess that would be me, but not alone this time. Thinking back I was sure that Cassandra had been through it with some of the guys on the SWAT team. Maybe she would be a good backup. The last thing i wanted was to be shot in the back by a civilian. But then again she did have histroy of getting shot in the clearing house, again and again and again. I couldn't help but smile. I'd tease her later on that.

The conversation was short with the guys. We agreed that we needed to block of one end of the street. One maybe two semi-truck would do it. Plans are drawn up.

Food was starting run low for the group. We needed to be active on the street to collect all we could from the empty houses. But that was more dangerous than taking a share from yesterday's raid with the Knight.

A text from Ria broke the conversion. The guys started out to talk to the others to see if anyone knows who the girls belonged to. I finally texted back after some initial confusion . 'I'm heading to the Knight to meet you. ... I will bring the girls home, lets not take unnecessary risks'

I added a x to the message with a smile
 
Last edited:
At the garden center
Getting ready to leave and on the way to the Knight
Ria


'I'm heading to the Knight to meet you. ... we are not sure the mother is alive but we are looking for her'

I read the message I had sent Bart again to check if I had left out vital information about the teenagers in my hurry when I got the above in respond. It was, kind of, since I had jumped to the conclusion they lived on the same street after them mentioning a man called Frank and an officer.

"Sister and brother, 14 and 16, Janna and Jaim Cox. Their mother was alive an hour ago when they had last contact; mom told them she would come over with two neighbors, that some strangers had helped Frank and the officer to block some houses off from zombies, that theirs was one of those. This information made me conclude they live on your street. We will take them with us to the Knight. We are leaving now, will be at the Knight in an hour. See you soon, X, Ria." I hit send after I had written this and hoped things would clear up.

I called the two, told them they would be picked up at the Knight and told everyone to board the vehicles. Last purchases got stacked in the trucks, they were quite full with the ponds on top of everything else.

"John and Skip the deliverance truck; Vince, TD, Paul and Cramer in the party van, Paul, you will join Cramer in his truck, the rest in the van. Edna, Janna and Jaime in the back seat. Thomas will lead and you all will follow. Only break away in an emergency. First John, Thomas, Skip, Vince and I will clear off nearby zombies. And then Paul and TD will help us to burn them."

What followed already seemed routine: Shoot some down, batter others and start or ad them to a pile. Only one situation got a bit hairy when a zombie came up on John from behind -his ax was stuck in a zomie's skull- but Skip was quick enough to put that one down with a blow of his ax. The axes and machetes we were using now were much more effective, but tended to get stuck more often than a golf club did. And they produced more yuck. A lot more landed on me, and I was grateful Edna had raided the coveralls and protection gear section, she had even added wellies.

Looking down at me while everyone got in the cars I sighed. I should have taken the time to slip into a coverall.

We took a look at the camper down the street, there were still some zombies around it, clawing over the outside, trying to get the window covers of with their fingers.

Thomas and I looked at each other, and nodded. Carefully he drove over, when we came near a hatch on the roof opened and a man peeked out, a gun in his hands. He waved frantically, I made soothing moves with my hands. John and I shot some zombies, Thomas and Vince drove some over and soon I opened my door. Walking over to the man who was aiming at zombies still quite far away, I got a fright.

"Don't shoot! You only would attract more of them! Why are you standing here?"

"I know, the only time I tried that they nearly upturned us. Stupid son of mine forgot to fill the tank after he borrowed the camper weekend before last. And he got himself killed last. Stupid ass filmed what happened in the stadium instead of rescuing his ass! So I loaded my SO early on sunday morning, got my daughter in-law, my grandchildren and some neighbors of them. When I noted I was low on gas I decided to get some at the gas station, but the street was to full of the horrors, I had to detour. I ran out completely. Couldn't get to the outside compartment where I keep a canister. It won't bring us far though. I need a lot more to reach my blockhouse over at Blue River. Food enough here and there for some time and then we'll hunt. I might need to build a bow and arrows and learn to use those. Saw you lot raiding the garden center. Might go there first, see what you have left and take what I can use. Is the water still running? Then I'll fill the water tank, that one is dry too. Damned horrors made the kids panic, every time one cried we attracted more of them, even if they couldn't see them since I covered the front windows from the inside. They could still hear them growl and claw on the outside, until you lot started a fire on Monday afternoon. Things calmed down a bit then, but still not enough we could get out to fill the tank. And we couldn't empty the toilet, we are shitting in a bucket now. You reckon this is going to take a while? The end of the world as we know it, I mean? Oh, sorry folks, I forget to thank you for helping us. Thank you very much!"

During this monologue I had nodded a few times, Thomas and some others had started a new pile, the door of the camper had opened and a man had come out, got a canister from a compartment and emptied it into the tank, had walked over to a car with the canister and a hose, and filled it, aided by Thomas and John, who filled our cans. Some kids peered out off the door, got shoed away by a scared looking woman, another woman then came out with a bucket which she emptied in the drain. She opened a hatch and took out a tank which she also emptied in the drain.

"You are welcome," said Thomas, who was emptying a can in the tank. "But we would appreciate it if you could show your gratefulness somehow. What could you give us?" I had shot a zombie nearing us, as had John, and Vince had dragged them to the pile and had clobbered two who where standing around it.

"Some booze? I have some Bourbon," the man offered.

"That would be very kind of you," I told him. After a moment and some subdued talking the woman who had shoed the kids away from the door came out with two bottles which she handed me. I did my very best not to flinch at the stench that hung around her.

"You got more? I asked her quietly. She looked even more scared after that so I quickly explained why I had asked it. "We don't want more, but you could make some Molotov cocktails with it." She tried to shake my hand then, but hugged me instead since I had a bottle in each hand, before she hurried back into the camper. I could have done without the hug very well.

It took a while and the gas of two more cars until the tank was filled. One car more filled our tanks and the jerricans. The man hadn't said anything anymore, just looked out around the street for a while.

"Good to see normally, the periscope Gary build wasn't of much use. I couldn't see what was going on close by, only what happened in the distance. Well, thank you very much for your help, folks, we really appreciate it. We will include you in our prayers."

I thanked him for that, told him those of us who prayed would certainly do the same and wished them good luck and a safe journey.

"Oh! Don't start your motor before we start ours please." I added when he already opened his mouth. He promised to do so and wished us well too, his head disappeared to appear behind the wheel a little bit later.

I sighed when Thomas started our engine.

We got to Cramer's truck without much trouble, and after we put some zombies down it was safe for him and Paul to enter it. We emptied a nearby car with an open trunk from suitcases and bags, loaded them into Cramer's truck and again we formed a convoy that couldn't proceed without noise. We didn't attract too many zombies though, since we pretty much cleaned the streets we started or halted in. Looking around I saw some cars with open doors and or open trunks, but I decided against scavenging them, in the late afternoon we would raid one or two houses, that would give us a better result anyway, even if it kind of hurt me to leave good stuff lying around exposed to the elements.

Edna had been telling the teenagers to keep their eyes away from the horror around them, to look at the sky, or at the buildings we passed, and suddenly they were talking about Twix, Mars and Skittles. Briefly I wondered why, they had been eating some kind of bars in the garden center and in the car. Stewart chimed in, saying those small trucks were used to stock up the stacks in small shops and kiosks. Suddenly Thomas braked.

"Shall we get it? The door is open ..."

"What door?" I asked wondering what they were talking about.

"The Twix-truck!" Jaime explained.

"I could drive it," offered Stewart.

Only now I saw what they were talking about. A bit behind us stood a small truck with an ad for Mars and Twix on it.

"Okay, lets have a look. If there isn't much in it we empty it, otherwise you drive it, Stewart." If he would take off with it, it was alright by me, but I didn't think he would. He really had seemed pleased when we told him he could come with us if he hadn't a place he would rather go to.

What followed again was almost routine. Thomas and Cramer drove some zombies down, John and I shot some, after that Vince, TD, Skip, Thomas, Paul, Stewart, John and I got out and did away with the rest of the zombies nearby before Thomas got the keys out of the pocket of a half eaten man lying nearby the open door. He opened the back hatch of the truck and rolled it a bit up. It made an awful loud, rattling noise and Thomas stopped it soon, we peered through the gap and Thomas pulled the hatch down again.

Without saying anything he handed Stewart the keys. Five big cars in convoy now.

"Make a detour through the streets you choose to go to the garden center, Thomas. I would like to see the one with the family houses not far from Frank's street we came through this morning. It looked promising. I would like to have a look at it before we decide which street we will go to in the afternoon. I would prefer a street without any apartment buildings," I quietly told him while we got into the van.

Not long after that we entered the street, now some more zombies following us. More movement, more noise ...

"A white flag!" Edna pointed ahead. "There, you see it? Why would someone surrender to the zombies?"

"Drive up to it, Thomas, lets have a look."

In coming closer I saw something was written on a bed sheet hanging out off an open window. Standing in front of it, I read "Survivor".

Singular. One person. Old, young, wounded or sane, we had no idea. A moment we looked at it, and then a face appeared in the open window. A man. His face scarred. His expression unreadable because of it. I opened my window. Shot a zombie closing in on us. The man shot a bolt from a crossbow at an other zombie. That might mean we had a common goal, so I shot another one. He did too. John shot one too. The man shot again. Five zombies down, but one I had shot first was moving. The man aimed at it, and I lifted my hand, pointed at an other zombie. He nodded. Shot the one I had pointed at. Not long after that we were hacking at other zombies while he kept a lookout from above and shot one if needed. A while later two piles were burning and he came down, carrying a backpack. I handed him the bolts we had collected.

"Deacon" he introduced himself while he thanked me for the bolts and for helping to clear the street.

I introduced myself. "Your house?" I asked him, wondering if he would want to leave it. He told he had been at the stadium and had found refuge in the house which had been empty with the front door open and no zombies in it.

"You want an other place to stay? Maybe join a group?" He shrugged his shoulders. He was a good shot, no bolt had missed, except one all zombies he had hit had gone down. He also looked intelligent. Able to adept to a new situation. And open to suggestions.

"If you would join us, we would be about fifty, twenty men, fifteen women, some teenagers and ten children. We are in the Knight. Food for six to eight weeks, means to grow more in the truck, the next days all hands are needed to fortify the Knight. After that we go out for more food."

His only reaction was another nod.

"Okay, we get in, TD and Skip, look if there is a freezer, get it in Cramer's truck. You, Deacon, get bedding, throw it out off the window. I'll empty closets, Paul, you, Thomas and Vince take whatever you think we can use, Cramer, move your truck closer. The rest keeps a sharp lookout and loads the stuff we throw out into Cramer's truck. A quarter of an hour, then I want to go. Alright everyone?"

Before I got into the house I messaged Cassandra, Norah and Max, telling them we would need a big class or storage room on the ground floor in about half an hour since we had two trucks full of gardening materials. Deacon had looked a bit skeptical after Vince told him the Knight was library and had no beds yet he went back into the house.

Then a thought crossed my mind and I sent another message: "Pick two spots for a pond. We have ponds and fishes. Have the children fill all the buckets we have with water and put them where you think a pond would look nice."
 
Last edited:
Cassandra is a squirter!

I had free time … so I started to play around with the squirt gun idea. The super soakers could be filled with gasoline … and the nozzle size adjusted. To make a fine spray that reached out a great distance … over 25 feet! The last part was to add a reliable lighter. The best thing I came up with was a “zippo” lighter attached to a small rod in front of the nozzle. When I test the device out … I was really worried about the flame getting inside the squirt gun… and BOOM! No more Cassandra.

But the pressure was enough to keep the flame out …and I guess there was so much gas in the squirt gun it was above the explosive limit. The flame it produced was amazing … great distance. I started thinking about how to use them. I was thinking at the front door. It would be great to flame spray those zombie fuckers … right at the door way. Like the Knight was some kind of big castle … and we were fighting back invaders. OOHHH I thought … boiling oil … and dump it on them!! And what about a moat!! Like I said before … I was really getting into killing zombies.

Anyhow, when Daniel got better … I hoped he liked what I came up with. I did not have time to modify the other squirt gun … because I got a texted from Ria about lots of gardening supplies arriving.

I got off the roof … and put the squirt gun/flame thrower in my stuff … and started to get everyone organized for the arrival. Roof guards were ready. We had teams of people to help unload the stuff … and we cleared out a storage room on the ground floor for the supplies.

Ria had also asked for two spots for a pond … and here is the really weird part … she said “put them where you think a pond would look nice." I knew at that moment she had the virus. It was making her crazy! Ria is practical … she would never say put it where it would look nice. That was just not Ria!

Nevertheless … fish ponds … I was thinking they should go outside. Maybe the roof. But I did not want it to freeze in the winter. There were some stream pipes up there … maybe if we put it near them it would not freeze. But then I thought … in order for the fish to live … they needed an air or water pump to get air in the water. I wondered if she had that too. We would need to talk to her when she arrived; this was just too hard to figure out.
 
The trip back to the Knight a Survivor found.

While I stood lookout everyone loaded everything into the vehicles, ready to head out for my truck I climb into the Party van. TD drove this time I was in the middle beside Vince with Paul riding shotgun, tugging my Braves cap down over my eyes closing them awhile. Feeling the vehicle brake I pushed my cap up to see a camper surrounded by Zombies, others were wandering around and TD ran several down with the van. Opening the doors Paul, TD, Vince and I piled out wading into the fight, I didn't bother with axe or machete just bashed zombies heads in with my bat.

Someone had been smart enough across the street to hang a makeshift banner with survivor on it, the guy looking out the window was a hugs scar faced dude and a mean shot with a crossbow. I helped to drag a few Zombies on the pile for the usual disposal, Giving Ria a thumbs up when she asked that I get my truck and back it up for better loading.

Fishing my keys out of my jeans pocket head on a swivel for Uglies, unlocking the door 2010 Chevy 1 ton crew cab long bed truck with a 12'' lift kit suspension climb up into it. Firing her up black diesel smoke puffed from the twin stacks the flappers moving as it idles, dropping it into first I pull out of the parking spot and back up to the sidewalk. Turning of the ignition of I reach back between the front seats to the gun rack on the back window, retrieving the camouflage suppressed 308. AR-15 rifle with a new starlight scope and climb out of the cab.

Walking over to Ria to show her the homemade suppressor screwed onto the business end, explaining quickly how it works, how I'd made it myself and how easily it was to build. I knew how much guns scared her and wanted her to know the loud bang, that would set her oft to go running away and hide. I wanted her to understand we could have guns that could be adapted, to be quiet to not draw the zombies to us as easily as she assumed. "Ria this is I show you...so you wouldn't be so skeered of em darlin.''

Hooking the weapon strap over my shoulder I shook hands with the camper intruding myself, wishing him and his family good luck out there. Heading over to the house with the survivor sign the meet the big man Deacon, intruding myself shaking his hand his grip firm as I looked him in the eye unblinking. I had a good feeling about Deacon he definitely looked like a survivor alright, my ribs still ached but I'd eased myself up on stop of the Party van to a lookout spot. Pulling the AR-15 from my shoulder with the scope set to daylight, scanning every area a Zombie might possibly be lurking ready to blow one away if necessary.
 
Last edited:
Raiding a house
Ria


Cramer showed me his gun. He seemed to think I was afraid of them. Well, I kind of was, I hadn't used one myself often. Only a few times and always with a stern lecture from my granddad first. "False courage, girl, be aware of that. Always be sure you don't rely on a gun when you are afraid of something. The gun doesn't make you braver, just more stupid."

And exactly that was what scared me about guns. People tend to take bigger risks when they carry a gun, because they think it will protect them. A gun has no brain, no feelings for its owner, no intend to keep the owner safe. Much better to have no arms at all and to be really aware of ones vulnerability. It makes a person more careful.

On the roof they would be great, with silencers like Cramer had on his gun on them. I really would like it if the guards on the roof had some. But I would prefer if they would concentrate on weapons we could build ourselves. I would prefer if all of us would learn to use a bow and arrows instead of longing for guns. Guns wouldn't do the trick for us, but our brains would.

All this went through my head while we raided the house.

I couldn't call it a scavenge what were doing inside what had once been a home to a family. It was more ripping apart their lives. We emptied closets in garbage sacks, the contents of a middle size freezer too, packed plates and cutlery in the garbage can, mugs and cups in a carton, threw mattresses and bedding out off the front window upstairs. I asked Deacon to yank some curtains down and emptied a linen and towels cupboard on top of one, knotted the ends and pushed it out of the window too. One other I filled with candles, pillows and a few flowerpots in the living room. I had no idea if the plants would survive this harsh treatment, but I liked them. If I would leave them, they would die anyway.

"Time is up! Get out and back to the cars! Wait there."

A minute later we were standing beside and behind the cars. I motioned them to come closer.

"Come on, I don't want to scream! Listen, when we arrive at the Knight, we clear the street first, then we drive the trucks closer. Deacon and Cramer, as soon as the doors open, I would like you two on the roof. Cassandra and Derry will be there, but we have an awful lot of unloading to do, and this time we won't be able to do it silently. We have a lot of things that need to be carried by two or three people together, there will be much more movement than the last times, I want more protection for those who do the lugging from above. Edna, you and the kids grab something light and get in with Cramer and Deacon. Just keep a bit out of the way once you are inside, help were you can and see fit, but don't start to introduce yourselves or something like that, we will do that later.

All the others, well, we will do something for our muscles. The GC truck first. When it is empty, Thomas and John, you will drive it away, put in the place we talked about, between the Knight and the hall. Deacon, Cramer, as soon as you see them drive away, you'll follow them and cover them from above until they are back in front of the Knight. Vince, when they drive away, you'll drive the party van closer. When it is empty, you put it at the left corner, nose against the wall, back pointing away from the Knight. Then the Twix truck. Stewart, as soon as Vince gets in, you get in that one and drive it up to the door. Later on, you put it against the right corner, same as before. If we are still safe then, we will empty Cramer's truck and put it behind the GC's truck to complete the block on that side. Cramer, Deacon, tell the ladies on the roof what is going to happen, please. Okay everyone?"

Cramer looked a bit displeased.

"Cramer, your truck and the GC's are diesels. More smoke, more noise, harder to come by on the streets at the moment. We always can change it for another one later on. So the one driving it, maybe you Vince and John, make sure you don't bump into the trees. Cars and trucks around enough now, we won't need those we have now when we go out again, we'll take the van and bring back more trucks.

Three minutes later we were on the way to the Knight.
 
Deacon

He was surprised when the convey stopped, even more surprised at the zombies that cropped up. He did his part, there was no anger, no joy, no feelings at all as he killed the zombies. Headshots. He didn't care if they could die any other way, he had learned that headshots kills...of course that was because it left more meat for venison, but that didn't matter now. All that mattered was that these things died when he placed a bolt through their brains. He grabbed his backpack, and duffel bag, slipping downstairs to meet the woman who seemed to be the leader of this group. Ria she called herself, he listened carefully, not committing to anything yet, but also not discarding it out of hand either.

He dropped his gear where he found a spot for it, then headed into the room he had occupied, rolling up three blankets, a cushion and a duvet, binding it with twine and tossed it out of the window. There was really nothing for him to do but slot in with the group and Ria's plans, he was the new and untested guy. He nodded when Ria finished giving her plans and then settled into an open spot, there was an AR-15, home-made silencer, it seemed to belong to one of the guys in the trucks. Deacon believed the man had a good plan there, but he was looking more for a sniper rifle, something to take out threats at a distance and even take down food if they ever needed to forage.

He watched the streets as they took off once more, it looked much more different than it had when he first came here. He sighed and kept a weary eye out to see if he could spot any gun shop, he was sure that there should be shops which carried the rifle he was looking for and of course had the suppressor he was aiming to use if he could find the rifle. Lost in thought, he had a sinister little smile as he cocked his crossbow and fitted one of the bolts to the rail.
 
Cramer ''Homer'' Grimes gets his Baby back.

Ria didn't seem to understand the power you could project down range with a good weapon, thankfully she understood one advantage of a suppressed weapon was defense. As for my and the GC trucks being diesel their was a truck stop right on the interstate, I'd show Ria my babies a Hybrid and muffle the stacks. Taking Edna by the hand, Deacon and I help her up into my truck, the kids a motion to climb into the back seat with her, Handing Deacon my AR-15 with the safety on, we both climb in everyone buckles up. Fire the truck up I fell in the back of the convoy, with the way Deacon handled the weapon, he knew what he's doing, as we drove along I flipped the door lock switch. With the heavy duty bumper, grill and headlight guard, I just mowed any zombies down in out path, it actually got a laugh out of the teens.

Upon reaching the Knight Deacon and I do as directed to T, as the GC and Party van pull into the Knight, Zombies were drawn in be the sights and sounds, everyone piled out of the vehicles picking off Zombies. Cassie and Derry were dead shots with their bows, as 15 to 20 Zombies were taken down, With Deacon on the roof of the cab with his crossbow, taking out Zombies 3 while I sniped any around the edges of team 1. After the threat beat back enough that the Knight doors were open, I'd help Edna out of the truck, the four of us with Edna, walk quickly as possible entering the doors. Heading up the steps with Deacon hot on my heels, climbing the ladder we're through the roof hatch, as we take up our over watch positions, I tell Cassie and Derry exactly what Ria asked me too.

Scoping out the area quickly spotting three Zombies moving in, the angle I had on two Zombies take out two with one shot, aiming at the third I see an Arrow take it out. ''Nice shot...girls this is Deacon.'' Still covering the GC and Party van, Deacon picks of a Zombie with his crossbow, Derry pins ones head the the side of the Party van, Cassie gets another two in quick succession. I'd rigged up a makeshift holster you could say for my Bat, handing Deacon my AR-15 I have to move my truck I told him, ducking into the roof hatch and down the ladder, taking the stairs as fast as I safely could.

Drawing my Bat hurrying to my truck, just as I'm about to slug a Zombie Derry's arrow drops it, unlocking the door climbing in giving Derry a thumbs up. Firing up the truck I pull up front shutting it down, climbing out I help unload it, that done jump back in my truck, fire it up again to follow the GC van and Party van, we get parked the way Ria wanted them. Shutting my truck down I lean over to the glove box, get my Colt 1911 tucking it in the back of my jeans, another clip for it, another for the AR-15, climbing out of the truck locking it, I get my big black toolbox heading back into the Knight with Vince and Stewart. Grabbing a couple cool bottles of water with two power bars, heading back upstairs and up to the roof, I set the bottles and power bars on the ledge, accepting my rifle back noticed Deacon checking out one of the girls. ''Wish it was an ice cold beer, but it's nice and cool.''
 
Last edited:
Deacon sets eyes on a sight...

He was silent most of the way, watching dispassionately as Cramer mowed down zombies, he slid out when they stopped and picked off any immediate threats, arrows striking home from the direction of the library told him where the other defenders were. Then Cramer was heading for the library along with Edna, Deacon went along, following Cramer as Cramer was the man that knew where to go. They reached the roof and Deacon barely noticed the others, taking up a position and killing any zombie that he could see, he was running out of bolts fast, but Ria had proved that they had a good salvaging operation going and he had seen enough discards on his way here that he could make more bolts.

Then Cramer handed him the rifle and slipped away, Deacon held the rifle at the ready, looking for any movement that didn't belong. He had heard his name mentioned, but for now he was focused on doing what Ria had asked him to do. When Cramer returned, Deacon handed him the rifle back and picked up his crossbow, while doing this he noticed her...he paused for a brief moment, taking her in. She was slim, yet athletically built, her auburn hair caught the sun and for a moment he could imagine them loose and falling down her shoulders...then he realized that it will never be. He turned and brought the crossbow up, sure that there was more zombies to kill before everything was inside.
 
Ria

Cleaning the street in front of the Knight had gone pretty well, but some slower zombies kept coming when we started to unload. Shots from above had them deader quickly without danger for those lugging the supplies we had brought. I was feeling my arms and back. All the heavy work I had done yesterday and today summed up to three relocations I thought while carrying a bag inside. Max was directing the traffic, I had a look at the room they had designated for the gardening supplies. It was too small. Already things were just dropped inside, without any system. Heavy things had landed upon lighter things. We would have to sort it out soon. After the lunch would be best, when Cassandra and Derry were at the police station.

People clearly where working as hard as they could to get the trucks empty as quick as possible. Thersa watched them, with a grim expression on her face and telling them to get a move on.

"Oi! Thersa! What are you doing?" Without taking her eyes from the hard working people she told me she guarded them.

"You are guarding them? Here? Inside the Knight? Wouldn't that be more effective outside? Or are you afraid a zombie grabbed a sack to disguise itself as one of us? Help us, Thersa. Get out, grab a sack and join the workforce. That would be of much more use than you growling and bitching at them. They are working. Hard and fast. You are standing around and being a nuisance. Change that."

"I take orders from you."

"No? From whom do you take your orders then?" I was livid.

"Peter. He is the leader."

"Start working, Thersa. Peter is ill, and he isn't the sole leader, I heard Max tell you to help the guys with the jacuzzi, you didn't do anything. I am telling you now to help. Do it! Everyone is working hard except you. Put this (I grabbed a bag from TD who was just passing us and pushed it at her) in the food storage room." I wasn't sure it was food, but I just wanted her to do something productive. Reluctantly she took it and walked away with it. Later on she was again standing around, doing nothing but watching how we worked. I hadn't forgotten what TD told me when he handed me Bart's note. In my opinion she was an apple as foul as Lex.

I had to bite down an angry remark when I saw Cramer climbing in his truck. This meant there was a defender less on the roof! I really thought it was clear someone else would drive his truck. I tried to remember who I had asked to do that, but couldn't come up with a name.

After three quarters of an hour all was inside, the cars parked and the fire doors closed. I took my coat off, washed my hands and my face, used the loo and washed my hands again. Surprised I had noted my jeans didn't fit me as it had done only three days ago. I had lost more weight than I had thought. While washing my hands the second time I had a good look at my face.

I looked worn. Dark patches under my eyes, my mouth was tight, my hair a mess.

I needed a rest. A long one. Some good nights with lots of sleep. And maybe something else to relax and help me sleep. I had seen Bart, he had been helping unloading, but we didn't have time for more than a smile and a nod.

Max was still directing traffic when I came back to the entrance, some people had simply put things down as soon as they were inside and went out for more. I saw the curtain I had put the plants and cushions in.

"That one is mine." I smiled at the man who had lifted it from the floor and reached for it. Before I could take it, Thersa took it.

"Oh yeah? This is yours? Your name on it somewhere?" She made a show of looking for a name. "Nope! No name. Could be mine!" She started to open it.

"Thersa, stop. Or put it in my room."

"What! You are no better than any of us! All is for everyone! I want to see and then I'll decide what we do with it."

"That is a big mistake, Thersa. A huge one even. All is for all the people who work, you haven't been working much, so what right to anything do you have? Furthermore are the people who go on a scavenge allowed to bring in a pack or suitcase for themselves. You don't decide what is done with the packs they bring in for themselves. You have no right at all to decide what is done with anything at all. The leaders and those who have taken responsibility for certain tasks have that right."

A crowd had gathered around us. I took a deep breath to calm myself. I looked in all the faces around me. With a loud voice I announced:

"Those who have been outside yesterday and today haven't claimed anything yet. They all have the right to pick what they want this afternoon, we have brought in much more than we expected, and they have the right to much more than just a backpack full of stuff for private use. Is that clear? Do you understand me too, Thersa? This is my pack. In some other bag is some more stuff I brought in for myself."

Without an other word I yanked the pack out off her hand and went to room I had chosen. It was a small classroom, but a huge bedroom. For a moment I dithered. Maybe I should choose a smaller one. Some office or such. Then I decided against it. In one corner I could put a sofa or maybe even two, a small table, and then I could use it for meetings. That would be much more relaxed then in an official meeting room. A bookcase or maybe even a wardrobe could separate my bedroom from my living/meeting room.

Slowly I undid the knots and took the plants out. They were a sad looking bunch. Flowers had broken off, leaves, twigs. One of the desks I shove against the wall. The flowers on it. It already looked better. Three other desks under the window, four I tipped on their sides in a row from one wall almost to opposite one, about three meters from those under the window, the cushions in the so created space and my bedroom was build and furnished. The candles I put on the desks under the window, the curtain too, I would hang it in front of the window later. Or use it as a blanket this night.

I had used all but the teacher's desk. I pushed it against the wall beside he door, that would be my writing table. The chair followed and the other chairs I put in the corner I wanted to change into a living room. Pleased I looked around, saw a face disappearing from the doorway (had Bart been watching me, and how long had he done that?) and noted for the first time this classroom had a cupboard. It stood in the corner formed by the wall of the entrance and the wall facing the hall. It was locked. Somewhere there would be a key, I was sure of that.

Someone knocked on my door. With a broad smile I looked. Max. He looked around, nodded his head.

"Ponds?" he asked, "That was a joke maybe?" he added a bit hesitantly. Grinning I shook my head.

"No, Max. No joke. They guys brought ponds, fishes, Koi and Goldfishes I believe, fish food, water plants, water-lilies too. Somewhere inside, I thought, where we could put some chairs around or beside them, like benches around a pond in park? That would be nice. And Koi are just an expensive kind of carp, they are good to eat. Goldfishes too, they are some kind of carp too, I believe. "

He nodded his head. "Don't they need a lot of care? Water-pomps, and so on?"

"Koi? Goldfishes? Na. I don't think so. Maybe if too many of them need to share a pond, but we'll figure that out later. If we think there isn't enough oxygen in the water one of the kids can stir it a bit. They would like that.the guys also brought a Jacuzzi, they thought it would make a nice bath for grownups, and a smaller pond for the kids to bathe in. And some ponds could be indoor gardens. Maybe we could make a small park around the research area? What do you think?"

Just then someone announced lunch was ready.
 
Last edited:
Cassandra and intros

The area out in front of the knight looked like something out of a war movie. There were dead or should I say deader zombies everywhere. Derry and pretty awesome again … a bunch of them had arrow sticking out of them … On my side … don’t want to brag … BUT OH YEA … I WAS AWESOME TOO. I killed so many I lost count. Every time I fired an arrow it hit. Cramer had a gun now … and a new guy showed up … he was like an unfeeling robot. But boy did he kill zombies with his crossbow and with cramer’s gun! Cramer introduced him a “Deacon”

Anyhow, when it was all over … everyone on the roof needed a breather. Cramer had brought up some power bars and water. We shared some .. and then we all headed downstairs. Both Derry and I introduced ourselves to Deacon better

“My name is Cassandra … but people call me Cassie” I said to him … and Derry just said “Hi … I’m Derry”

Deacon was very quiet. It reminded me of some of the guys I talked to at the silver dollar club. They were like that too …. the soldiers back from Iraq … what do they call it … PTSD. Maybe this Deacon guy had PTSD? Anyhow, I needed lunch and so did a bunch of other people. So the Cook team got busy and soon lunch was ready.
 
Deacon

He had taken a seat on the wall, keeping an eye out when the two women came over to introduce themselves. He didn't eye Cassandra aka Cassie too much, he was sure that with her looks and obvious charms, she got loads of that. Then the auburn haired lovely spoke up, her name was Derry...strange name, but no stranger than his own. People headed down into the building and Deacon followed. He spied the backpack and duffel that had been unloaded with the rest of the stuff, he didn't see his bedding, but was sure that he would find it. He picked up the backpack and looked around, he didn't see Ria, Cramer or Cassie, he did see Derry, but didn't feel like he should be approaching her. Lunch was called and he noticed Ria as she came out of a room with another man, Deacon moved over to her,

"Ria, there is food in here, canned and dried so it should hold a while. Think it should help a bit in the short-term."

He realized that there was way more people here than he felt comfortable with,

"Uhm I'll be on the roof if you need me."

With that he fled to the roof, gathering up his duffel bag in his wake.
 
As Cassie and I did our work....killing more uglies...I looked over to the door hatch...noticing we had company. It turned out to be Cramer totting a gun with some kind of silencing devise on it along with another man. He quickly got down to the business of killing, so we all just continued on. I liked the way the new guy shot bolts into the uglies with that crossbow of his thinking, (I wouldn't mind having one of those.)

Things were going well when Cramer suddenly handed his rifle to crossbow man and left. Without missing a beat he just continued killing any zombies that wandered in too close. We all kept ourselves busy when Cramer returned taking his rife back. When the new guy picked up his crossbow I noticed him pausing for a moment looking at me. I just grimly nodded before getting back to taking down more uglies. As we all continued on our grizzly task, I wondered what this guy's story was. He didn't have much to say...but before I could think any further, a great big one came into my sight...had to take him down.

Once things slowed down a little, I took a deep breath and surveyed the street. There were bodies all over the place...I knew it was going to take some work to push them into piles and burn them. I said,

"I think we need a forklift...to clean up this mess.... It might be a good idea to get one on the list of things to watch out for the next away team."

The others nodded their heads in agreement. Cramer shared some of his power bars and water with us. Then we headed downstairs, Cassie and I good naturedly introduced ourselves since Cramer didn't seem to be getting to it. I noticed this Deacon, he didn't seem very comfortable with
us, so I just said hi....I'm Derry and left it at that.

Once downstairs we broke up, I noted that Deacon went to get his things...a backpack and a kind of duffel bag. I kept my eye on him thinking maybe he would like to have lunch with us...when and if it was ever going to be ready. I was famished by now...lunch was finally called I sighed looking around for Cassie. That is when I saw Deacon, take his duffel bag and head back up to the roof.

I went to get some food for myself...as it was being dished up, I grabbed another dish and asked for a second portion. Looking around I spotted a tray...and asked if the two dishes could be loaded onto it. Once I got them, I took two bottles of water and told Cassie I would have lunch on the roof...with Deacon ....if she needed me that is where to find me. She smiled in her knowing way, ...which just made me frown and smile at her.

It wasn't easy to getting through the doors with a loaded tray...but I did manage it. When I got to the trap door, I held the tray on one arm...while banging on the door shouting,

"Could someone help me here?"
 
Deacon

He had sat down and spread out the things for making bolts, he was in the process of finishing one up when there was a banging on the trapdoor and a muffled yell for help. Could the zombies have gotten into the library? He quickly jumped up and rushed over, yanking the door open, ready to fight...then all thoughts of fighting and zombies left his mind as he was confronted with Derry, he manage a small smile and stepped aside for her to gain entry to the roof.

"Hello again. Sorry for the abruptness, I thought there was trouble."

Then he noticed that she had two servings of food and two bottles, this puzzled him as he was the only one on the roof at that time. As he closed the door behind her he realized that she had come up here to have a meal with him. For some reason he felt strangely happy about that...he scoffed softly at himself, like she would be interested in him. But he offered to carry the tray and walked with her to where they could sit comfortably and eat.
 
Hearing the call for lunch I didn't waste anytime getting a tray, serving myself a rationed amount of food. Snagging a water not feeling in the mood for company at the moment, so I head down into the basement to eat. Figured Max wouldn't mind me being down here any, pulling a stool out from under a work bench seating myself. The tools on the walls remind me of my shop back home, yeah you could say I was getting home sick.

What was really missing was my Kaitlyn the one I could tell anything to, all she had to do was put her arms around me and all my worries faded away. Mechanically eating the food without really even tasting it at all, it was obviously depression with a mourning process I'd have to go through. Only having myself to count on being everyone else had their own mourning to do as also I'd move on eventually.

Setting the empty tray aside with a sigh rubbing my burning eyes, not only did my ribs ache I had a bad headache. Reaching into my shirt pocket for the bottle of Ibuprofen opened it shaking a couple out into my hand to take the tablets chasing them with the rest of my water. I had to get the plants taken of who knew how many had been crushed, either way they needed my attention getting my hands dirty with soil would make me feel better.

With a grunt from my ribs hurting I stood taking a glance around Max's domain, the man was organized alright every tool in it's sharpie outline. Yeah this shops the way it's supposed to be set up a place for everything and everything in it's place. Taking the tray putting the Ibuprofen back into my shirt pocket, I trudged up the steps back into the Knight to join the others after lunch. Tossing my empty water bottle into a box marked to plants seeds into, hmm good idea to recycle the plastic bottles into seed starters.

Finding Cassie Ria Vince and John gathered together talking amongst themselves, I mention the plants are going to need some special attention. ''Who ya'll thank has green thumbs outta this bunch around here?'' Pushing my cap bill up with an index finger looking around for potential farmers, put my hands on my hips with a grunt more to myself than anyone else. ''A greenhouse isn't hard to build just needs to be on the roof.'' Turning back the them seeing if anyone had any suggestions. ''Felling trees is going to be a bitch with all the noise...real fuckin Zombie fest ya'll...but that's nothing we didn't already know.''
 
Last edited:
At the last moment the doc asked to join me. It made sense in case the girls needed anything. He wanted to check out the medical supplies that the Knight had, maybe even barter for some food.

The drive to the knight was slow but thankfully uneventful. We discussed what might have caused this plague and I passed all of the information Ria sent to me onto him. Digesting it he went quiet. It was like His brain was working at such a pace he had no capacity left to speak. I texted Ria to say I was approaching. No response. I glided the car to a halt twenty yards outside the main doors. We waited, I texted again and waited. I was starting to worry. I could see the vehicles parked up. Still no response. Maybe she was hurt, maybe her phone had run out if juice. I flashed the lights trying to alert the roof guard.

Zombies were approaching from the left. I sat still, quiet, told the old doc to do the same and waited. The zombies ambled slowly, randomly in the open space. The sun high in the sky, but the day cool, autumnal. Still in the car, calm, waiting for the team to spot me or Ria to return my text, the beauty of the day made me smile.

Zombies were getting closer. Making a break for it was not an option with the doc. If they got much closer we wouldn't make it to the Knight if the door opened.

Shooting them would alert the roof crew if they were up there but would attract more zombies. 'Come on guys open up!' My mind shouted.
 
Stepping from the basement headlights flash off a mirror I look in that direction. ''Who's unaccounted for?'' Sprinting upstairs grabbing my suppressed AR-15 on the way to the roof hatch, bumping my head against it as I push it open. Getting quickly the the edge of the roof into firing position, I fire at the zombies converging on the car. By taking head shots drop five zombies in fast succession, Derry and Deacon are up firing crossbow bolts and arrows into zombies with me.

We should have been told someone was driving in, probably a missed communication, cell out of charge something. My hands were shaky from the adrenalin rush of sudden action, might as well get used to it ain't stopping anytime soon. Stepping over toward the roof hatch I stuck my head over it, calling down to tell anyone within earshot that we got em coming from all directions. Seeing fast movers I took aim leading each one, squeezing off about four more rounds as they went for Doc and Bart? dropping the zombies in their tracks.

After they opened the fire doors just enough, to let the guys about to be zombie chow in.
I blow away a couple more zombies, listening for any directions coming up from below, pull my head away from the roof hatch. After the close call we just narrowly avoided with Doc and Bart? I just could not relax for quite awhile.

Long after everyone calmed down I grin at Deacon and Derry. ''Hey ya'll...sorry bout the disruption of your romantic rooftop dinning.'' Ducking in case one of them threw anything at me, because of the friendly teasing that was meant well. As no plastic ware, empty bottles or trays came flying my way, I saw it's safe to join them with a chuckle.
 
Last edited:
Suddenly all hell broke loose from the roof. I didn't know who it was. It certainly wasn't Cassie but five headshots in quick sucession rang out. The bullets did their work shredding what was left of brain from the zombies. Green and red painted the square. I pulled the doc through my side of the car. Pushing his head down we crouched and ran to the doors. Leaving the doc banging on the door I took up a covering position. The noise was attracting more now. Arrows cut through the zombies as they got closer. As well as the ambling zombie groups individual fast fresh zombies appeared. Running at full pace they could smell our meat. We were out in the open a second from safety. A short lifetime from safety if the doors would not open. I could hear the doc frantically banging on the doors. It was his first time out of the street since the change. His first time being hunted by zomies
 
Lee

Lee was in the first aid station near the front door checking on Peter’s and Daniel’s recovery. Both were doing great and they could be up and about this very evening. Martin, the big guy from the car, as far as Lee was concerned had recovered. Martin said he felt fine … and wanted to leave the aid station. But Lee wanted to check him out mentally. The virus seemed to have an effect on people’s minds.

Of course that was no easy task. Lee thought to himself “the guy had been trapped in a car for two days as his family turned to zombies and he had to kill them. That was a mental beep job you did not recover from. How to pull that away from the effect of the virus … was f’ing hard.”

All of a sudden there was banging at the fire door. Not the typical zombie banging … but almost like frantic knocking.

Lee jumped into action “ … it was F’ING GAME TIME!” he yelled and raced to the door. He peeked through the side window and saw Officer Bart. Cassandra was now by his side. She had a pickle in her mouth. A big fat pickle. She pulled it out like she was smoking a cigar … and asked “Who is it?”

“F’ING OFFICER BART … HELP ME F’ING OPEN THE F”ING FIRE DOOR.” Lee shouted.

Cassandra

I was eating my lunch and suddenly there was banging on the fire doors. I heard a “… it was F’ING GAME TIME!” from Doc Lee … put my tray down … but I was still hungry … and I did not want to leave my lunch … so I grabbed a big pickle frommy plate and ran to the door to help Lee.

As I got there I put the pickle in my mouth like a big fat cigar. He looked at me weird … but told me to “opening the f’ing fire door”

I took left side of the door as lee went the right. Turning the crank open the fire doors enough to let them both in … I had to unlock the main door. A person I had not met came in quickly followed by Officer Bart. He too looked at the pickle in my mouth. Then I closed the front door, as Lee lowered the fire door.

I pulled the pickle from my mouth again and asked “Everyone ok?” I got nods from Bart and the new guy, and more weird looks. “What, I was hungry!” I said as I bite off the end of the pickle.
 
Meeting Officer Bart.

Looking over the wall of the roof I saw Officer Bart and Doc tumble into the Knight, with a big sigh of relief I put my black Wayfarers on tugging my cap bill down. I wanted to find out the reason we almost lost Bart and the other Doc, so down the hatch I went asking Scotty to take my place on the roof. Slinging the AR-15 over my shoulder I trotted downstairs to meet Bart I believe for the first time.

Finding him with Ria introducing myself to him, offering my hand to him for a handshake, shaking my hand firmly I took my shades off to look the man in the eye. "Names Cramer ''Homer'' Grimes Officer Bart as Cassie fondly calls ye...glad you tumbled into the door safely. Even though it wus on yer ass. ''Oh Ria...if you need me to do something...just holler Darlin.''

With that off I went poking around for the possibility of finding a cold beer, being I didn't know if anyone got a fridge plugged in yet. Crossing paths with Max I told him of my being in need time along, and that seeing his shop resembled my layout back on the Farm. He just grins as we say in unison ''A place for everything and everything in it's place.'' we got a chuckle out of a little commonality. ''You know if a fridge has been hooked up yet Max?''
 
Last edited:
Being pulled into the Knight backwards and falling on my arse was not how I imagined my entrance! In my case it was a long way to fall. Thankfully I landed on the the doc to break my fall. The guy standing above me looked wild. His eyes wired. His face grinning. I remember saying ' thanks man' as he reached down to help me stand. I helped the doc up and looked at Cassandra. ' What the?' I managed as she chomped on her pickle. I introduced the doc and myself to the Knight team. They invited us to eat, but I'm sure it was just because Cassandra wasn't quite finished! I was greatful, I'd hardly eaten for two days. Checking Ria was ok was a priority, then finding if my messages had gotten through would come next. It was not like her to miss anything. I was betting on her phone being broken. We followed on towards the kitchen. In front of me I could see the doc visibly shaking. I reached out to Cassandra. 'Last time I was here Peter was acting pretty crazy. Are you guys still letting him run the show?' I said with my tone a mix of concern and warning.
 
After I had shouted...not too loudly for some help...I heard quick running steps, suddenly the hatch was flung open and there stood Deacon...ready to fight. I stepped back in fright ...his eyes looked so ferocious. Seeing the look in my face he quickly apologized before stepping aside and letting me through. I grinned replying,

"That's OK....we are all a little jumpy in these times."

When he offered to carry the tray I said,

"It's fine....I have it all in hand."

We then moved to an area where we could sit and have our meals...just out of view of the street below. Setting down the tray I got my plate and set it on my knees, smiling for Deacon to join me. I watched him as we ate silently...then I finally said,

"Your not a great talker are you? It's really OK...I am comfortable with or without talk....just know if you ever need an ear....I am a good listener."

With that said, he looked at me and nodded his head before continuing his meal. I had a few more bites of my food when suddenly I heard someone banging on the door below. We both jumped up food falling as we dashed for our weapons. At the edge we saw Zombies converging on the door where two men were waiting for the door to open. I aimed quickly for the nearest creature, but Deacon shot it before I could...I moved my aim slightly and got the next one.

The hatch door burst open and Crammer dashed up to us with his AR-15...took aim and quickly took out a few more Zombies. The area around the entrance was soon cleared of the uglies, enough that the door could be opened and the two men squeezed in before it was slammed shut again. We shot a few more before sitting back and catching our breath.

Crammer then grinned and said,

''Hey ya'll...sorry bout the disruption of your romantic rooftop dinning.''

I just gave him one of my evil eye looks and laughed as I went back to the place where we had been eating. Looking down...I commented,

"What a mess....I think we need to clean this up and hopefully there will be some leftovers downstairs."

The guys agreed, in no time the area was as good as new, we were heading downstairs when I asked,

"Did anyone know that we had some visitors coming in?"
 
Last edited:
Lunchtime at the Knight
Ria


I couldn't even thank Deacon properly for the food he handed me because he quickly moved away from me. I couldn't introduce him to Max either.

"Put it down by the pantry," Max said, pointing at the browsing room, "Carla did a good job with Scotty and Carol, they got it organized nicely," he told me as we walked over.

I had a peek inside and saw some small office cupboards in a row, doors labeled with drawings I supposed the children had made. On one was a drawing of a row of glasses, on one a stack of plates, cutlery and bowls on an other one, glasses filled with blood red, light brown and dark brown stuff on an other. This appeared a bit yucky to me, I supposed a was a child's image of jam and peanut butter and such though. The shelves that had been full of newspapers and magazines were now holding rows of cereals, cans, bottles and other stuff. Against a wall was a big heap covered by a blanket and surrounded by big sacks with flour and other bulk-packed food. The only things disturbing the neatness of it all were the mass of cartons from the Twix-truck and the bags and sacks we had brought in today beside the still unconnected freezer in the middle of the room.

"The milk, bacon, eggs, butter etc. we got in the Pancake House and the Grill that didn't fit in the fridges downstairs," Carla told me quietly. "We are freezing some milk to cool this heap with, and keep doing so until we have more fridges. We are using this as quickly as we can, we won't be rationing it too strictly, it is better to stuff it in our stomachs than that it is getting bad here. Lunch is eggs sunny-side up with some toast bread and milk. Dinner will be bacon with scrambled eggs with salad and rice, instead of the scrambled eggs with bacon and bread we had yesterday. The meat is packed in the fridges downstairs. We won't be using that soon."

I congratulated her on her work, it looked really marvelous. At one side stood a desk, with some paperwork on it.

"A register, or a log. I will keep track of what we have, what we use at each meal, how much left overs we produce, how much the dog needs and such. In a day or two we will be able to cook just right. Should I do the same for what you brought in today?"

I could only nod. Those three had been as busy and had done as much heavy work as we had done outside.

"How is your leg? Did you reach your family?" I asked her anxious.

"Leg is fine. It hurts," she said grinning. "I talked with an uncle outside LA," she continued solemnly. "He and his family are fine, and he had contact with an aunt, who is fine too, but hasn't heard of her husband and one son. The rest ... No news yet."

I hugged her and together with Max we got ourselves lunch and sat ourselves at one of the small round tables which had been inside the late browsing room. We discussed the idea I had told Max already, of creating a kind of indoor park with fishponds and plants in caskets and ponds in the research area. Cramer was asking some people if they had green thumbs and quickly, almost shouting to cover the distance between us, I told him our idea.

"A chute and a swing and a sandpit would be nice for the kids in that too then," Carla thought aloud, staring in the air, her fork halfway to her mouth. "That would make it a real park. And a basketball field or such. Would be nice ... Didn't they have swings and such at the garden center?"

I nodded, because my mouth was full.

"Why didn't you get them? Don't forget them the next time you go there. The kids need something they can play on. To get rid of some energy, to forget ..." Max just looked at her, frowned a bit.

"Food is much more important!" he said a bit irritated.

"It is in the short term. Long term we really those things too, Max," I soothed them quickly, since Carla looked as if she was ready to tell him off as soon as her mouth would be empty. "Otherwise we would go nuts. We need normality. We need green around us, the kids need a playground, we need playing kids around us. We need a place to sit and look at pretty things and relax. A place where one can sit and chat a bit, where one can meet with some friends, where one can just be."

"Yes," Carla said longingly, "a few benches, one or two of these tables, to play chess, and you know what would be nice?" she asked with a trill in her voice, "Have dinning nights in the coffee-shop! It is much too small for all of us, but once a week we could have a teenagers-only night there, or a pancake night for the kids, or a burger friday or a romantic night. Something different a few times a week. Food would be the same as up here, but served in a different setting. I need more shelves in the pantry, Ria, and we need to cut this thing, this counter here in three pieces with a chainsaw, you brought them, didn't you? It would open up the space here, and we could use them to divide it a bit. An area with small tables for couples or people that want to have a more private conversation during mealtimes without them wandering off to the roof, and an area with the big tables d'hôte and ..."

"Stop!" bewildered and amused I shook my head. "Carla? Are you staying?"

Sober she nodded.

"Yes. No use of going home, Mama is dead. My uncle lives to far away. I would like some of my things, and I really would like if you could get them soon, I would come with you, we have beds, mine, my mom's, a guest room, there is a drugstore in the street we live in, I would help you to get shampoo and soap, I didn't have much time to take stock of the non-food, I only had a quick look, but we don't have very much. Only for a week or two I think, we really need more. That is as important as food! I ..."

A loud banging on the doors, Lee rushing out of his 'hospital' bellowing something and Cassandra and him opening the fire doors interrupted what ever Carla had planned to say next. Open mouthed I watched the scene before me.

Seeing Bart fall down on top of the doc I jumped to my feet. I tugged at my dark blue coverall, suddenly unsure if it had been a good idea to replace my dirty jeans with it, to take off my shoes and socks and to close it only up to my waist and let the arms hang lose, my upper body clad in a bright yellow t-shirt I had found in a suitcase yesterday. All alone in my room I had felt great in it. Slimmer than I had been for a long time, almost like I had been twenty years ago -even if I knew very well I had only lost a kilo or two, maybe three in the last days and not the fifteen I would have to lose to reach that state- and the coverall hadn't felt as tight around my butt as it did now.

Inwardly shaking my head, but with a blush on my cheeks, I walked over to him.

"Thank you for cleaning our floor, officer," I giggled.
 
Last edited:
He was basically awestruck, Derry had decided to sit with him, to talk to him...and he found that he had nothing to say to her. There was so many things that he did want to say, to ask and he found that he could not get any of them formed and into words. Finally his inner turmoil ceased and he found that he could actually start to string thoughts together, he turned slightly to ask her about the bows and arrows when the shouting from below came. Like one they jumped up, grabbed weapons and were at their posts, shooting at the approaching zombies. Cramer's addition quickly brought the surprise under control and pretty soon Derry and Cramer were heading downstairs, Deacon paused for a moment, but Derry did say that they should go look for leftovers, so shoving his unease aside he followed them down the stairs. Of course he had his eyes on Derry, he still wondered why she would have wanted to single him out...perhaps she was just the friendly sort? He shrugged inwardly and found Ria and the newcomers engaged in conversation. He slung the crossbow onto his back and carefully watched anybody who came too close, he didn't trust people...well most people.

"Any idea when we will be going out again?"

He directed his question at Derry,

"There is something that I need to do...or should I ask Ria about that?"
 
Back
Top