Reject non-Erotic stories posted to Loving Wives

The reader added tags sound like a solid idea, but....will there be tags to choose from or can the trolls add things like "crap" "garbage" and things like?

Also anytime the human element is involved-like in voting and comments etc,-what stops them from putting tags in that were not in a story like putting gay male sex or non consent or incest in a story that did not contain it so others won't read it.

Yes, it sounds spiteful and pathetic, but there's those that will immediately take to that strategy if its allowed.

Yeah, I agree. There'll be a mechanism to prevent this - like manual pre-approval by author or site. Also, only registered users would be able to tag, more than likely.

Yeah, I agree. There'll be a mechanism to prevent this - like manual pre-approval by author or site. Also, only registered users would be able to tag, more than likely.

Why not register everyone commenting and solve at least half the problem.

I'm not sure if Laurel has ever actually said it, but the consensus among people here is if you didn't allow anonymous the site would lose a lot of traffic.

If it were just on comments, the thought is we would lose all the good anon feedback because they wouldn't register just to comment.

Issue is there is only one way to find out either way

I'm not sure if Laurel has ever actually said it, but the consensus among people here is if you didn't allow anonymous the site would lose a lot of traffic.

If it were just on comments, the thought is we would lose all the good anon feedback because they wouldn't register just to comment.

Issue is there is only one way to find out either way

Reducing comments to registered users would be just fine with me and would, indeed, I think, curtail a lot of the hurt-feeling yammering on the forum about negative commenting. I agree too, though, that most want to keep anonymous commenting--but they want to do it in their mistaken notion that this is a critique site where they are going to get constructive and informed help. It isn't a critique site and they aren't going to get that much constructive help from comments from strangers, most of whom don't know any more about writing than the author of the story does. It would be better if they just accepted that this is a "for fun" sharing site.

I like the category hubs a lot, but I think the site would operate better by dropping the categories, bringing the tags forward in the story postings, including giving them in the indexing, and relying more on tagging. As is frequently pointed out here, most stories fall into more than one category--and the site doesn't cover all of the categories that folks write in (and ignores all requests to add major story categories, while keeping ill-defined and screwy ones that promote yammering). I think that letting readers in on tagging is a can of worms that the site isn't equipped or inclined to control.

Last edited:
A mix of categories and tags gives you several ways to find stories. Day to day, I use categories. I quickly learned there were certain categories that had the kinds of stories I like. Day to day, I'm just browsing. I base my decision to read entirely on the tag line and title first, then the page count.

Detailed tags are of no interest to me when I'm browsing new stories in a category I trust to deliver. I'm not looking for a brunette with big tits riding a bicycle in blue shorts who likes well hung bi black men. Chances are good I will never be looking for that particular story, but definitely not when I'm browsing. Actually, that's exactly how we find books in a brick/mortar bookstore. There are not tags. Just categories. That's the fun of going to a bookstore.

If I do want to find that brunette's story, then meaningful tags are the only way, but that's just not how I look for most stories on this site.

I belonged to another site, I can't remember which, maybe SOL, I don't know. It was entirely tag driven. You could set up "search profiles" or something for specific or generalized searching, but I always found it to be a little cumbersome. When I was in a browsing mood, it always seemed like a pain in the ass so bit by bit I quit logging on. If I can't find it here on Lit, I don't bother.

Categories suit me fine. If they also become staked out territory for specialized trolls, so be it. I don't care. Trolls don't bother me. Laurel has given me the Delete tool I need to manage the personal attacks, and my mom gave me the sense of humor to deal with the rest.

rj

Its good to hear the site is looking at ways to try to improve thing, but the fact is when we say "troll" we're not talking about someone who might get miffed because someone put chocolate on their peanut butter.

The "Troll' is the person who is going to one bomb and leave their spew no matter what because it has nothing to do with what the site does or doesn't give them or even a lot of times what the author actually wrote.

They just going around bombing and the only way to end that is no more anonymous and once someone is registered, the site could find voting patterns, they could see if JoeyX is dropping two dozen one bombs a week.

The comments will change dramatically because JoeyX will have to say "hey you piece of shit' as Joeyx.

A mix of categories and tags gives you several ways to find stories. Day to day, I use categories. I quickly learned there were certain categories that had the kinds of stories I like. Day to day, I'm just browsing. I base my decision to read entirely on the tag line and title first, then the page count.

Detailed tags are of no interest to me when I'm browsing new stories in a category I trust to deliver. I'm not looking for a brunette with big tits riding a bicycle in blue shorts who likes well hung bi black men. Chances are good I will never be looking for that particular story, but definitely not when I'm browsing. Actually, that's exactly how we find books in a brick/mortar bookstore. There are not tags. Just categories. That's the fun of going to a bookstore.

If I do want to find that brunette's story, then meaningful tags are the only way, but that's just not how I look for most stories on this site.

I belonged to another site, I can't remember which, maybe SOL, I don't know. It was entirely tag driven. You could set up "search profiles" or something for specific or generalized searching, but I always found it to be a little cumbersome. When I was in a browsing mood, it always seemed like a pain in the ass so bit by bit I quit logging on. If I can't find it here on Lit, I don't bother.

Categories suit me fine. If they also become staked out territory for specialized trolls, so be it. I don't care. Trolls don't bother me. Laurel has given me the Delete tool I need to manage the personal attacks, and my mom gave me the sense of humor to deal with the rest.

rj

If the site went to just tags, sweeping categories would naturally figure prominently in those tags (not just brunettes and bicycles). There would just be no problem any more in which of several categories the story is that you'd have to pick to put it in.

Given the nature of the site, there are many readers who have something interesting to say but would rather not register. There are authors who want as many comments on their stories as they can get. For these people, the ability to post anonymously works. Other authors don't want anonymous comments. They have the option to turn it off. So, everyone wins.

As far as comments go: Youtube is owned by Google. One must create a Google+ account to comment on videos. You would think this would result in on-topic, intelligent discourse.

But.

untitled.PNG

youtube-comments.png

youtube-herp-derp.png

Google has a bajillion dollars and access to every brilliant tech mind on the planet. If they can't stop the dumb/troll comments, then it's unlikely we will be able to do so either. :rose:

We suggest you delete the derpy if it annoys you, feed the good comments with replies, and concentrate on writing - and having fun. :)

Given the nature of the site, there are many readers who have something interesting to say but would rather not register. There are authors who want as many comments on their stories as they can get. For these people, the ability to post anonymously works. Other authors don't want anonymous comments. They have the option to turn it off. So, everyone wins.

As far as comments go: Youtube is owned by Google. One must create a Google+ account to comment on videos. You would think this would result in on-topic, intelligent discourse.

But.

untitled.PNG

youtube-comments.png

youtube-herp-derp.png

Google has a bajillion dollars and access to every brilliant tech mind on the planet. If they can't stop the dumb/troll comments, then it's unlikely we will be able to do so either. :rose:

We suggest you delete the derpy if it annoys you, feed the good comments with replies, and concentrate on writing - and having fun. :)

Hey wasn't "Derp" a poster in the GB? Is this where he went?

But seriously the comments on some you tube videos are mind numbing, but no different than you find on social media. My wife told me this morning someone she is friends with on FB felt the need to tell the world they took a shit so big they went and got a ruler to measure it.

I told her to not check back because they may have posted a picture of it:eek:

An interesting option would be to hold comments from anons until the author approves them (if not approved in 30 days, the comment evaporates). I mean if someone wants to be insulting under their actual name, go for it, and the comment appears immediately. But otherwise I'd rather approve/deny the comment privately, than find it in public after the fact and delete. Anons spewing hateful comments aren't really addressing the author - they're just looking for a public platform. If they no longer have one they'll rapidly give up.

So authors would have 3 options: Block anons, allow anons, and require approval.

Literotica is a lot smaller and more integral community than google is. I wouldn't try to compare them in community pressure that is put on individual account names or the effect of that pressure--or to use google as an excuse not to tighten up Literotica.

I'm one of those people who believes that stories where the central theme is divorce, revenge, or murder should be posted to the Non-Erotic category. It simply makes sense, as there is nothing erotic about divorce, revenge, or murder.

That said, I think it was a mistake by the admins to move the True Lies series to the Non-Erotic section. The reason is simple: this is a multi-chapter series, and we have no idea where the overall theme of the story is at this point. It doesn't make any sense to have one chapter in Non-Erotic, another in Loving Wives, etc.. It would make it incredibly difficult for readers to find the next chapter.

Re. the site improvements, I hope that there will be better navigation available. For example, to see if anyone has commented on my stories today, I have to scroll down, click "Stories & Pics", click on my username at the top, click "Submissions", and then click "Recent Activity." That's four clicks to do something that should take one or two.

Another nice feature to have is the ability to see how many people have favorited my stories or me as an author. It would also be nice if the Favorites Portal (which has been in beta since I found this site six years ago!) included a filter so we could see the top favorites for the past month, six months, year, etc.. This would make it easier to find great stories we've never read before.

Pipe dreams, I know, but a boy can dream.

That's not what happened:
http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?p=53173202#post53173202

As you can see, I told her our concerns regarding an all-encompassing bisexual category. I said she was welcome to start a discussion about these concerns, and she could use my PM as a starting point. Instead, she made a poll and told everyone that if there were enough votes, Lit would start a bisexual category if enough people voted. That was never stated nor implied ever by us.

Stella's thread was a sticky on the LGBT thread, which only could be made a sticky by you or a mod--giving the signal that it was sanctioned at the time. It ran for two years without you ever posting anything to it to clarify or deny anything. When you did post that you never considered providing a bi category, you did it on the Story Feedback board--still posting nothing to the sticky thread that had been running for two years claiming you had sanctioned the discussion and were considering it. You teased and jerked Stella and the people interested in having a place here to post bi stories around for two years.

I don't see why the site can't have two bi categories. You've got how many straight categories here? All eligible separately for monthly awards. You just don't want bi stories here (which is OK) but you don't want to be honest and say that directly to those you have jerked around on the issue.

You even admit on the thread you've just indexed that the bi stories writers were getting a tease.

No need to respond to this. It just isn't as you are painting it.

An interesting option would be to hold comments from anons until the author approves them (if not approved in 30 days, the comment evaporates). I mean if someone wants to be insulting under their actual name, go for it, and the comment appears immediately. But otherwise I'd rather approve/deny the comment privately, than find it in public after the fact and delete. Anons spewing hateful comments aren't really addressing the author - they're just looking for a public platform. If they no longer have one they'll rapidly give up.

So authors would have 3 options: Block anons, allow anons, and require approval.

That's an interesting idea. I'll pass that along.

Re. the site improvements, I hope that there will be better navigation available. For example, to see if anyone has commented on my stories today, I have to scroll down, click "Stories & Pics", click on my username at the top, click "Submissions", and then click "Recent Activity." That's four clicks to do something that should take one or two.

Sitewide menu navigation is one of the first things we're rolling out on the public site relaunch, coming within the next couple of months.

Another nice feature to have is the ability to see how many people have favorited my stories or me as an author.

That is coming with the new control panel (which should be beta-ing - finally! - within the next week or so). :rose:

That's an interesting idea. I'll pass that along.

Sitewide menu navigation is one of the first things we're rolling out on the public site relaunch, coming within the next couple of months.

That is coming with the new control panel (which should be beta-ing - finally! - within the next week or so). :rose:

hey, shouldn't you be conducting sweeps, and stuff?

slacker. :p

All this brings back memories.

Twenty years ago I hosted a genealogy site that featured marriage and death notices for Florida and Georgia, from Colonial times to the mid 20th Century. The site worked well, and included newspaper records for blacks.

Now, the 1800s were not now, and as an ethical historian I kept my paws off the record. It was what it was. Plenty of the records were unpleasant because the news involved murders and other violent events. And some articles were hilarious for their circumstances, like a murder at a bordello, and the resulting trial. IT IS WHAT IT IS, and often the only record of the event. And readers got upset. HOW DARE YOU RUIN MY GRAND DADDY'S MEMORY. Well, it was in the paper, dear! Your Ma prolly read it at the time.

Blacks had no problems at all with the old records. I got plenty of thanks for illuminating old mysteries. People get shot at poker games! It happens.

But what blew me away was the rabid PC intimidation from liberal white institutions. They demanded I alter the old records and sanitize the expressions. One national teachers association banned me because of the old terms contained in the newspapers. Hell! I even found some terms no one used before or since. In 1816 blacks were called AFRAMS. And there was plenty of race mixing. Lotsa white gals took black men North on steamboats. Lotsa white men sailed away to Havana or Mexico with black women they met in New Orleans.

Liberals remain the vestige of the old Puritans.

Literotica is a lot smaller and more integral community than google is. I wouldn't try to compare them in community pressure that is put on individual account names or the effect of that pressure--or to use google as an excuse not to tighten up Literotica.

Google's community is vast, but so is Google itself. They have the resources to police their sites - and some great algorithms to help automate the policing. Lit's got two people and no deep algorithm experience. There's a reason Laurel repeatedly asks that users report stuff. She needs a community that self-polices.

Once I figured that out I got more aggressive about deleting trash comments, reporting insulting fora posts (even if not directed at me) and asking for sweeps.

Since Laurel's active in this thread, here's a few more suggestions for her and everyone to consider.

Delay the effect of a rating for 48 + x hours (x between 0 and 24, randomly chosen). Right now, when a one bomber hits, he gets immediate gratification - the score drops visibly and immediately. Victory! The game is less fun when the score doesn't move for two days, and might get mixed with other votes.

Have the software automatically report any IP that's tossing in a preponderance of 1's and 2's. If your IP's average given score is 2.25 or less after you've voted 10 or more times, you're a hater - and your score appears to get recorded but never goes anywhere. People will switch IPs to get around this, but mostly if all you do is drop 1s on LW stories you'll rapidly become irrelevant. Haters who figure it out will start voting 5s on stories they don't care about to keep their average up, but it's still better than nothing.

Give every IP address that visits the site and modifies it (aka, ignore those who only read, like bots) a unique, randomly generated 128 number. (Manu: random numbers, not hashing of IPs. It matters.) Display that number as the user's id for anons. I can't use the random number to discover the IP, but I can easily see that the last five insults have come from the same source, and ask Lit to look into user anon#5G3H7SK5EHTA28FI2AU0HSLJD's behaviour. It won't be foolproof but it will help.

Don't allow votes from anonymous IP addresses. Anonymous net traffic has an important use in protecting people, but nobody who's worried about their government needs to be voting on erotic stories. It's just not that important a right.

Maybe get rid of contests. Whether or not there are voting blocs, they still encourage people to act like idiots. If you want to honor people who have really raked in the views and high scores, pick random points in time at least a few months apart, crunch the numbers and announce that so-and-so has been awarded a prize - no advance warning given (and hence no one rigging votes or writing formulaic stuff just to win a contest.)

Knock yourself out with the belief that the Web site takes change suggestions on board. :rolleyes:

As someone who has been accused of being a part of the BTB conspiracy (which I don't believe I am!), I am NOT trying to force anyone out of any category.

However, for someone (SharedSigne) who seems to have elected herself chief of the category police to continue to post her cuckold stories (even though she likes to call them Hot Wife), which is CLEARLY a Fetish, in Loving Wives, and then try to force BTB stories out, reflects a level of intellectual dishonesty that I am pleased to see rejected by Laurel.

Reducing comments to registered users would be just fine with me and would, indeed, I think, curtail a lot of the hurt-feeling yammering on the forum about negative commenting. I agree too, though, that most want to keep anonymous commenting--but they want to do it in their mistaken notion that this is a critique site where they are going to get constructive and informed help. It isn't a critique site and they aren't going to get that much constructive help from comments from strangers, most of whom don't know any more about writing than the author of the story does. It would be better if they just accepted that this is a "for fun" sharing site.

I like the category hubs a lot, but I think the site would operate better by dropping the categories, bringing the tags forward in the story postings, including giving them in the indexing, and relying more on tagging. As is frequently pointed out here, most stories fall into more than one category--and the site doesn't cover all of the categories that folks write in (and ignores all requests to add major story categories, while keeping ill-defined and screwy ones that promote yammering). I think that letting readers in on tagging is a can of worms that the site isn't equipped or inclined to control.
Maybe if Anonymous posters would include SOME sort of identifier in their comment so that replies to that comment could be directed to them?

It's so tedious to type"@Anonymous MM/DD/YY Re: "blah, blah blah"

I'm sure if they're asked politely to do it, they'll hup right to. :rolleyes:

1. It may be a little embarrassing, but could someone enlighten me as to what "BTB" actually means?

2. I, too, have encountered a lot of silly (and funny) comments, reaching from plain stupidity to death wishes. Don't let those imbeciles get you down! Just delete their wonderfully-written comments or deactivate the comment section (or anonymous feedback).

3. Wouldn't it be possible to create a new category on Literotica called Hotwives/Cuckolds?
As long as we're all bitching about categories, I'm opposed to the "Hot Wife" part of the "Cuckold"!

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but to me "Hot Wife" seems to be saying that the wife is just TOO H-O-T to limit herself to one man, so she is justified in making him a cuckold.

So, in effect,"Hot Wife" IS "Cuckold", so why not just call it what it is?

Hmmm. I guess I don't get it. All this stuff about what Lit "should" do.

It's like being invited over to someone's house for a nice dinner and then telling them how to cook the chicken, you want broccoli instead of green beans, you don't like their choice of color in the living room, and the TV is too small.

So maybe I have different tastes in decor than my host. Maybe I prefer a little a la mode with my pie, but I'm not going to spoil the visit or disrespect my host by bringing it up.

There are stories and subject lines on Lit that I absolutely abhor. I wandered into LW with two stories of my own without realizing what was expected in that category. OK. So I now stay out of that room. It's not my taste. I'll sit in the easy chair in the other room and enjoy the other things provide by my hosts until it is time to leave.

Seems like a lot of bother about very little but that's just me I guess.

There's a bit of a difference. Those bitching are the ones who supply the food and furniture for the place. The house is provided, but the users are providing the contents.

As long as we're all bitching about categories, I'm opposed to the "Hot Wife" part of the "Cuckold"!

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but to me "Hot Wife" seems to be saying that the wife is just TOO H-O-T to limit herself to one man, so she is justified in making him a cuckold.

So, in effect,"Hot Wife" IS "Cuckold", so why not just call it what it is?

there is no 'hotwife' category. it's loving wives, they don't necessarily have to be 'hot', except in the sense of the heat between their legs. loving wives does not have to mean cuckold.

here's one featuring a hot, loving wife:

https://www.literotica.com/s/hotwife-surprise

Back