What Traditional RPG class are you?

honestly though, when I played 4th ed we rarely cracked the books. It just required that you print a new character sheet every frickin level, so that everyone had updated powercards (sooo much ink). There were a handful of "moves" outside the cards that the GM had to stay abreast of (those charts in the back), but for the most part she was flexible, leaning more towards "sure, but good luck" than "let me check" when we tried weird stuff, and we mostly had fun. The powercards typically gave us better tactical advantages (and better odds) than the oddities in the back of the book (bull rush, grab), so we rarely resorted to them.

I find myself referencing charts more for 3rd edition... starting about 4th level, the GM seems to need the spells section open constantly, and then there's turn undead, which goes entirely off of a chart, and god forbid you should want to break down a door...

oh but if you really want a horror of charts, look no further than Rolemaster. The entire game is run from percentile charts, with the book having an infamous example roll that *alone* puts some players off the system. Something about a barbarian critically failing while shaving his back and rolling to see which ligaments are sprained.

Oh god yes. Rolemaster's critical hit/critical fail tables are hilarious to read but I was never quite masochistic enough to actually play that game.

To be fair, 1st Ed AD&D also had a penchant for unnecessary tables though not quite as table-heavy as Rolemaster.

These days I mostly play Pathfinder, with a nice app that automatically calculates adjustments and gives me spell text on mouseover, helps organise large combats, etc. etc. One thing I did appreciate about PF was simplified Turn Undead rules - clerics just do AoE damage to undead.

I LOVE the heavy metal dice. I want a bone set too, not really for playing, just to have. I'm a bit of a dice hoarder....

For my partner's birthday a few years back, I gave her a metal d20 about two inches across. It has CONSIDERABLE heft.
 
As a DM I love metal dice. They make a satisfying crunch when thrown at a whinging and/or inattentive player. Now I know why teachers used to throw blackboard erasers at pupils when they were allowed to.

My favourite character to play was multiclass. However I also really enjoyed playing a 3.5 edition Warlock. So much flavour.
 
You want to set up a play by post game go to giant in the playground dot Com and you may have better success, though here may work as well, because we'd be a pretty dedicated group.
 
tTOaZD0.jpg
 
I started playing D&D in 1974 with an already established college group while I was a freshman in high school with this set, lent to me by someone. I was a thief. I've played all the classes through the years. We still have a group that plays though I work too much to go these days. My fav character class is the old Bard for sure.

:rose:
 
Back
Top