Congratulations to President Obama!

I'm with you, Lovecraft68. And not for nothin', but I thought this site was supposed to be about sex and not about politics. I get aggravated enough reading all the gushing over Odouchebag by all the flaming libs on Facebook. I came here to not think about that for a while, because it was getting to me; it was raising my blood pressure.

That having been said, you are so right, Lovecraft. It would take an entire book to address all the reasons why Americans should be scared, not celebrating. These people who voted for him should be hanging their heads in shame, because they are instrumental in what will probably be the ruination of America as we know it.
 
I'm with you, Lovecraft68. And not for nothin', but I thought this site was supposed to be about sex and not about politics. I get aggravated enough reading all the gushing over Odouchebag by all the flaming libs on Facebook. I came here to not think about that for a while, because it was getting to me; it was raising my blood pressure.

That having been said, you are so right, Lovecraft. It would take an entire book to address all the reasons why Americans should be scared, not celebrating. These people who voted for him should be hanging their heads in shame, because they are instrumental in what will probably be the ruination of America as we know it.

Obama is loved on Facebook? Seriously, dude, on WHAT planet? 99.9% of the memes are either bashing him or Liberals in general.
 
Oddly enough, sex is a favorite thing with a lot of liberals.

Conservatives like sex too. I've noticed that. :)

But you are right, nicerack, a lot of posters here try-- as best we can-- to keep American politics out of this forum.

It's really difficult because all anyone can do is try to not post, and hope that other people also try-- and there is no moderator and never will be one. But damn you should have been here in 2008, it was a toilet.
 
Oddly enough, sex is a favorite thing with a lot of liberals.

Conservatives like sex too. I've noticed that. :)

But you are right, nicerack, a lot of posters here try-- as best we can-- to keep American politics out of this forum.

It's really difficult because all anyone can do is try to not post, and hope that other people also try-- and there is no moderator and never will be one. But damn you should have been here in 2008, it was a toilet.

the Crap you say?!
 



It worked pretty goddamn well for China— raising an entire nation of (then) a billion people out of grinding poverty and destitution.







That's a false comparison. In 1976 China had no middle class and a tiny upper class consisting entirely of party officials. There was no free enterprise and no foreign investment. The economic growth that has occurred over the past three and one half decades coincided with the decision to allow free markets to develop, foreign investment to take place, and the development of private enterprise. Under those conditions, it was inevitable that any infusion of capital would raise standards of living.

The US has experimented with "trickle down" economics since the early 1980s. In that time, the middle class has shrunk, more people have fallen below the poverty line, and wealth has become concentrated into fewer hands.

Trickle down economics has failed miserably in the US.
 


It worked pretty goddamn well for China— raising an entire nation of (then) a billion people out of grinding poverty and destitution.


That's a false comparison. In 1976 China had no middle class and a tiny upper class consisting entirely of party officials. There was no free enterprise and no foreign investment. The economic growth that has occurred over the past three and one half decades coincided with the decision to allow free markets to develop, foreign investment to take place, and the development of private enterprise. Under those conditions, it was inevitable that any infusion of capital would raise standards of living...



That may as well be a vote in the "Trickle Down" column. We'll count it as "yes, but" vote in favor of "Trickle Down."


You are to be congratulated for your perspicacity in recognizing that China encouraged capitalism and did EXACTLY what you're supposed to do if you want economic growth.


Meanwhile, the U.S. has repeatedly scared the bejesus out of capitalists with an incessant stream of a host of threats. If I was the owner of hundreds of millions, I'd be thinking very seriously about getting some of it out of the U.S. before it's swiped.


 
Yeah Trysail, that is what most of the rich did with their money and their jobs.

Once the wealthy had bought enough of the government and had the laws changed to allow them to manufacture overseas and not have to pay a tarrif, that is what they did. They would've preferred bringing back slavery but they were willing to take Chinese labor for pennies a day.

America only works when we have a middle class. I am not sure what we are right now but we will become a police state soon if we aren't there yet. There are very few jobs out there now and there will soon be less if the republicans have their way.
Think about that for a moment, no jobs and no safety net, what do you think will happen then?

This is when you will see how gun control works. If the rich are lucky the poor will sell their guns for something to eat. If the poor use them in other ways the rich will not be as lucky.
 
Once the wealthy had bought enough of the government and had the laws changed to allow them to manufacture overseas and not have to pay a tarrif, that is what they did. They would've preferred bringing back slavery but they were willing to take Chinese labor for pennies a day.

America only works when we have a middle class. I am not sure what we are right now but we will become a police state soon if we aren't there yet. There are very few jobs out there now and there will soon be less if the republicans have their way.
Think about that for a moment, no jobs and no safety net, what do you think will happen then?

This is when you will see how gun control works. If the rich are lucky the poor will sell their guns for something to eat. If the poor use them in other ways the rich will not be as lucky.

You're hitting the nail on the head except for one fact. When the "legal" guns are gone and citizens have no defense against the looters and thieves trying to feed their families they will be stealing from the middle class and poor because the rich will have armed guards.

So who will protect us? Well the National Guard of course. They will be patrolling the streets and keeping order and knocking on every door they want to.

They will interrogate who they want and search who they want. They will break into homes and rape the women and beat the men and steal what they want.

They will then be issued Jack Boots (and adam lanza haircuts in tribute to who made this possible)and will only answer to emperor Obama who will then put himself in for a third term because no one will dare oppose him.

Far fetched? Not nearly as so as one would like to think. again this shooting is the best thing that could happen for Obama he is going to use these kids deaths to get a further stranglehold on this country. That godless SOB and his soulless shrew of a wife are toasting the death of those kids, every damn one of them.

so all you anti-gun people keep letting your hearts bleed, because pretty soon you will be bleeding right in the streets of the third world nation formally known as the USA

Now.....let's celebrate!
 
Gun regulation is not a gun ban. Gun regulation is not a gun ban. Gun regulation is not a gun ban. Gun regulation is not a gun ban. Gun regulation is not a gun ban. Gun regulation is not a gun ban. Gun regulation is not a gun ban. Gun regulation is not a gun ban. Gun regulation is not a gun ban.

Gun regulation is not a gun ban. Gun regulation is not a gun ban. Gun regulation is not a gun ban. Gun regulation is not a gun ban. Gun regulation is not a gun ban.

Gun regulation is not a gun ban. Gun regulation is not a gun ban. Gun regulation is not a gun ban. Gun regulation is not a gun ban. Gun regulation is not a gun ban. Gun regulation is not a gun ban. Gun regulation is not a gun ban. Gun regulation is not a gun ban.

You assholes who talk apocalypse now when any sort of conversation starts-- are prety much the reason why peole talk banning instead. it's just
 
Last edited:
Stella you've seen it work on abortion

What makes you think they wouldn't do guns the same way. A right that is nibbled at the edges until there is no 'right' left.

But I was not talking for or against gun control. My problem is the lack of jobs and the lack of a system to deal with it.

Lovecraft, I know this might surprise you but I like Obama and feel that he has done a fairly good job considering what he has had to work against. I love Michelle as both a mother, and a first lady.

At the same time, after having the right to bear arms for over two hundred years, it would be a shame to take them away just when we are getting ready to need them.

That is not an end of the world kind of thing Stella, but it might be an end to a way of life kind of thing.
 
Although there are parallels between abortion rights and gun control, Mikey, not as much as you think, not even in the political arena.

And I was posting that to LC and his weird as shit rantings. It's pretty much impossible to have a conversation with someone who can't tell the difference between a zombie movie in his head, and real life.
 
I hope you have a nice new year's eve

I kinda liked your red hat better, but if you want to party like a one percenter in your top hat, I say go for it.

Happy new year to both you and Lovecraft, you two are both folks I like to hear from and talk to.:)
 
Everytime I read or hear about a "one percenter" I think of a member of an outlaw biker gang. :confused:
 
...There are very few jobs out there now and there will soon be less if the republicans have their way...



Your government just declared that carbon dioxide (you know, the stuff you exhale— the stuff that makes up 0.00039 of the atmosphere) is a pollutant.


Your government has added thousands and thousands of dollars to the cost of automobiles. Your government has made it nearly impossible to compete with foreign manufacturers.


Your government employs an army of bureaucrats whose sole purpose in life is to find infractions of regulations that no one could possibly read in an entire liftetime and which have become so massive that they fill entire buildings. ("A bureaucrat has no upside").


Your government has saddled you with massive debts (that probably can never be paid) for providing "free" healthcare.


Your government has been waffling and carrying on about (once again) diddling with a 1,000 page long Tax Code that has gotten so complex that nobody can complete their own tax return. Your government can't make up its mind whether it's going to tax estates at a 0% rate or a 50% rate.


If you lived in California or Illinois or New York, you'd be responsible for the cost of a state government that has accrued massive pension obligations far in excess of those in private enterprise.


Do you know what A TRILLION is?


And you wonder why it is that there are very few jobs out there ?



______________



Accounting 101 for U.S. voters:

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/EW5IdwltaAc?rel=0


________________

http://www.npr.org/2011/08/06/139027615/a-national-debt-of-14-trillion-try-211-trillion


A National Debt Of $14 Trillion? Try $211 Trillion

by NPR Staff
August 6, 2011

When Standard & Poor's reduced the nation's credit rating from AAA to AA-plus, the United States suffered the first downgrade to its credit rating ever. S&P took this action despite the plan Congress passed this past week to raise the debt limit.

The downgrade, S&P said, "reflects our opinion that the fiscal consolidation plan that Congress and the administration recently agreed to falls short of what, in our view, would be necessary to stabilize the government's medium-term debt dynamics."

It's those medium- and long-term debt problems that also worry economics professor Laurence J. Kotlikoff, who served as a senior economist on President Reagan's Council of Economic Advisers. He says the national debt, which the U.S. Treasury has accounted at about $14 trillion, is just the tip of the iceberg.

"We have all these unofficial debts that are massive compared to the official debt," Kotlikoff tells David Greene, guest host of weekends on All Things Considered. "We're focused just on the official debt, so we're trying to balance the wrong books."

Kotlikoff explains that America's "unofficial" payment obligations — like Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid benefits — jack up the debt figure substantially.

If you add up all the promises that have been made for spending obligations, including defense expenditures, and you subtract all the taxes that we expect to collect, the difference is $211 trillion. That's the fiscal gap," he says. "That's our true indebtedness."

more...

http://www.npr.org/2011/08/06/139027615/a-national-debt-of-14-trillion-try-211-trillion


__________________



U.S. Debt Clock:
http://www.usdebtclock.org/





________________


http://www.bloomberg.com/news/print...-shows-california-leads-u-s-pay-giveaway.html



$822,000 Worker Shows California Leads U.S. Pay Giveaway
By Mark Niquette, Michael B. Marois and Rodney Yap
December 11, 2012

Nine years ago, California Democrat Gray Davis became the first U.S. governor in 82 years to be recalled by voters. The state’s 20 million taxpayers still bear the cost of his four years and 10 months on the job.

Davis escalated salaries and benefits for 164,000 state workers, including a 34 percent raise for prison guards, the first of a series of steps in which he and successors saddled California with a legacy of dysfunction. Today, the state’s highest-paid employees make far more than comparable workers elsewhere in almost all job and wage categories, from public safety to health care, base pay to overtime.

Payroll data compiled by Bloomberg on 1.4 million public employees in the 12 most-populous states show that California has set a pattern of lax management, inefficient operations and out-of-control costs. From coast to coast, states are cutting funding for schools, public safety and the poor as they struggle with fallout left by politicians who made pay-and-pension promises that taxpayers couldn’t afford.

“It was completely avoidable,” said David Crane, a public-policy lecturer at Stanford University.

“All it took was for political leaders to think more about the general population and the future, rather than their political futures,” said Crane, a Democrat who worked as an economic adviser to former Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, a Republican. “Citizens should be mad as hell, and they shouldn’t take it anymore.”

Billions Short
Across the U.S., such compensation policies have contributed to state budget shortfalls of $500 billion in the past four years and prompted some governors, including Republican Scott Walker of Wisconsin, to strip most government employees of collective-bargaining rights and take other steps to limit payroll spending.

In California, Governor Jerry Brown hasn’t curbed overtime expenses that lead the 12 largest states or limited payments for accumulated vacation time that allowed one employee to collect $609,000 at retirement in 2011. The 74-year-old Democrat has continued requiring workers to take an unpaid day off each month, which could burden the state with new costs in the future.

Last year, Brown waived a cap on accrued leave for prison guards while granting them additional paid days off. California’s liability for the unused leave of its state workers has more than doubled in eight years, to $3.9 billion in 2011, from $1.4 billion in 2003, according to the state’s annual financial reports.

‘It’s Outrageous’
“It’s outrageous what public employees in California receive in compensation and benefits,” said Lanny Ebenstein, who heads the California Center for Public Policy, a Santa Barbara-based research institution critical of public payrolls.

“Until public employee compensation and benefits are brought in line, there will be no answer to the fiscal shortfalls that California governments at every level face,” he said.

Among the largest states, almost every category of worker has participated in the pay bonanza. Britt Harris, chief investment officer at the Teacher Retirement System of Texas, last year collected $1 million -- including his $480,000 salary and two years of bonuses -- more than four times what Republican Governor Rick Perry received. Pension managers in Ohio and Virginia made up to $678,000 and $660,000, respectively, according to the data, which Bloomberg obtained using public- record requests. In an interview, Harris said public pension pay must be competitive with the private sector to attract top investment talent.

Psychiatrists Lead
Psychiatrists were among the highest-paid employees in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan and New Jersey, with total compensation $270,000 to $327,000 for top earners. State police officers in Pennsylvania collected checks as big as $190,000 for unused vacation and personal leave as they retired young enough to start second careers, while Virginia paid active officers as much as $109,000 in overtime alone, the data show.

The numbers are even larger in California, where a state psychiatrist was paid $822,000, a highway patrol officer collected $484,000 in pay and pension benefits and 17 employees got checks of more than $200,000 for unused vacation and leave. The best-paid staff in other states earned far less for the same work, according to the data.

Rising employee expenses are crowding out other priorities for state and local governments and draining resources for college tuition, health care, public safety, schools and other services, Schwarzenegger said in an e-mailed response to questions.

Salaries, Retirement
“California spends most of its money on salaries, retirement payments, health care benefits for government workers, and other compensation,” said Schwarzenegger, 65, who replaced Davis as governor. “State revenues are up more than 50 percent over the past 10 years, but still we’ve had to cut spending on services because so much of that revenue increase went to increases in compensation and benefits.”

Brown, who granted state workers collective-bargaining rights during his first tenure as governor more than three decades ago, has reduced pension costs for new employees while leaving most retirement benefits for current workers intact.

Last year, to balance the budget, he used a policy set by Schwarzenegger, his predecessor, to save $400 million through the forced monthly day off. He persuaded voters to back a tax increase, imposed a hiring freeze as his predecessors did and told as many as 26,000 prison employees they might lose their jobs as thousands of criminals are shifted to county jails.

Inherited Problems
“Governor Brown is busy fixing the many problems that he inherited from past administrations,” said Gareth Lacy, a spokesman for the governor. “California’s $26 billion budget deficit, and the decades-old structural imbalance, was eliminated in large part by cutting waste and slashing costs. The governor also achieved historic reforms to public pensions and workers’ compensation that will save the state billions of dollars.”

Former governor Davis, in a telephone interview, said he now believes state employee compensation is too high.

“I find it offensive that people who work for the state try to turn around and abuse the state through inflated overtime claims and lump-sum payouts,” Davis said. “We have high salaries, they have to come down. There was a time when we could afford them, but we can’t now.”

Brown, who took office in January 2011, had plenty of incentive to crack down. The per-worker costs of delivering services in California vastly exceed those even in New York, New Jersey, Illinois and Ohio, where unions have the same right to bargain collectively for the best pay packages, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

Sinking Schools
The result isn’t only a heavier burden on California taxpayers. As higher expenses competed for fewer dollars, per- pupil funding of the state’s public schools dropped to 35th nationally in 2009-2010 from 22nd in 2001-2002. Californians have endured recurring budget deficits throughout the past decade and now face the country’s highest debt and Standard & Poor’s lowest credit rating for a U.S. state.

The story of one prison psychiatrist shows how pay largesse has spread.

Mohammad Safi, graduate of a medical school in Afghanistan, collected $822,302 last year, up from $90,682 when he started in 2006, the data show. Safi was placed on administrative leave in July and is under investigation by the Department of State Hospitals, formerly the Department of Mental Health.

Long Hours
The doctor was paid for an average of almost 17 hours each day, including on-call time and Saturdays and Sundays, although he did take time off, said David O’Brien, a spokesman for the department. In a brief interview outside his home in Newark, California, Safi said he’d been placed on leave for working too many hours and declined further comment. An increase in the number of beds at the facility where Safi worked forced him to cover more shifts, and he was allowed to do some of the work from home, said his lawyer, Ed Caden.

Safi and other psychiatrists employed by the state benefited from what amounted to a 2007 bidding war between California’s prisons and mental health departments, after a series of federal court orders forced the state to improve its inmate care. Higher pay in the prison system was matched by mental health, and as psychiatrists followed larger salaries, the state’s cost to provide the care soared.

Last year, 16 psychiatrists on California’s payroll, including Safi, made more than $400,000. Only one did in any other state in the data compiled by Bloomberg, a doctor in Texas. Safi earned more than twice as much as any state psychiatrist elsewhere, the data show.

Accumulated Vacation
The disparity with other states is also evident in payments for accumulated vacation time when employees leave public service. No other state covered by the data compiled by Bloomberg paid a worker more than $200,000 for accrued leave last year, while 17 people got such payments in California. There were 240 employees who received at least $100,000 in California, compared with 42 in the other 11 states, the data show. New Jersey Governor Chris Christie calls such payments “boat checks” because they can be large enough to buy a yacht.

Topping the list was $608,821 paid to psychiatrist Gertrudis Agcaoili, 79, who retired last year from the Napa state mental hospital after a 30-year career. Agcaoili said in a telephone interview that it was her right to take the payment.

‘Against Rules’
“Those payouts are payouts of accumulated salary that it’s against the rules to allow people to accumulate, and it shouldn’t have been done, and shouldn’t be done,” said Marty Morgenstern, California’s labor secretary, who served as state personnel director under Davis. “They didn’t accumulate that kind of leave time in one year. It’s something that went on and on.”

Lacy, the governor’s spokesman, said hiring freezes and furloughs, or the unpaid time Schwarzenegger forced employees to take, combined to inflate accruals of vacation and leave. Lacy said the expiration of Brown’s version of the furloughs at the end of June will help reduce the balances.

Employees are told they must take unpaid furlough days before using paid vacation. That has boosted the backlog of unused leave, especially at agencies with round-the-clock operations.

Other states have taken steps to limit vacation payouts. New Jersey caps checks for departing state employees at $15,000, and New York limits payment of accrued time to 30 vacation days. Most New York employees may accrue 200 sick days, which can be used to offset retiree health-care premiums.

Overtime Millions
California also leads in overtime expenses, data compiled by Bloomberg show. Last year, it paid $964 million in overtime to 110,000 workers, an average of $8,741 per employee. That was more than twice the $415 million New York paid in overtime to 80,000 staff members, for an average of $5,199, and almost as much as all the other states in the database combined. In Georgia, total overtime for 8,935 workers last year was $12.3 million, an average $1,378.

California employees generally make at least 1.5 times their regular pay to work overtime. The state’s overtime costs show mismanagement by the officials who run state departments, said former Georgia Governor Roy E. Barnes, a Democrat.

“Government is no different from business; you have to have good leaders,” Barnes said in a telephone interview. “When you have somebody having that amount of overtime, then there’s not good management control, there’s not good leadership.”

Highway Patrol
The California Highway Patrol, whose brown-and-tan uniforms and weekly adventures in the 1970s and 1980s lit up television screens in the series “CHiPs,” also boasts leading pay and benefits.

The best-paid among the patrol’s sworn and uniformed employees make far more than those in other states, with overtime and lump-sum payouts that enlarge earnings, data compiled by Bloomberg show.

Former division chief Jeff Talbott retired last year from the California Highway Patrol as the best-paid trooper in the 12 largest U.S. states, with $483,581 in salary, pension and other compensation. Talbott declined a request to be interviewed.

While California’s cost of living and relatively high private-sector pay account for some of the disparities in public payrolls, special circumstances in the Golden State combined to drive wages and benefits to levels far beyond other states, data show.

‘Arduous Duty’
Unions pressed for every perk they could squeeze out of governors and their department managers -- including “arduous- duty” pay for office workers and special bonuses for call- center employees “in recognition of the complex workload and level and knowledge required to receive and respond to consumer calls,” state documents show.

Most public employees aren’t overpaid, and differences in compensation can be tied to regional labor markets, whether some states prefer delivering services at the local level and whether they have adequate staffing, said Steven Kreisberg, director of collective bargaining for the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees.

“I don’t think there’s this kind of huge disparity as if somehow they’re being overpaid and taking advantage of the systems,” Kreisberg said in a telephone interview from Washington. “This is earned money.”

California has one of the leanest public workforces in the country in terms of the number of state employees per resident, said Lacy, Brown’s spokesman. Measuring the payroll of its state workers per capita, excluding university employees, California ranks third-highest among the 12 largest states, according to data compiled by Bloomberg and the U.S. Census Bureau.

The California payroll totals reflected in the Bloomberg data have their roots in wage negotiations carried out during Davis’s time as governor.

Pension Limits
One of the first goals of state employee unions when Davis took over in 1999 after 16 years of Republican governors was to unwind curbs on pensions put in place by Governor Pete Wilson in 1991. Workers also wanted broad wage increases.

Unions persuaded the California Public Employees’ Retirement System to sponsor legislation called Senate Bill 400, which sweetened state and local pensions and gave retroactive increases for tens of thousands of retirees. Highway-patrol officers were granted the right to retire after 30 years of service with 90 percent of their top salaries, a benefit that was copied by police agencies across the state.

California’s annual payment toward pension obligations ballooned to $3.7 billion in the current fiscal year from $300 million when the bill was enacted. Some cities that adopted the highway-patrol pension plan later cited those costs for contributing to their bankruptcy filings.

Pay Increases
Davis and the Legislature also agreed to labor contracts that gave 164,000 state workers pay increases of 4 percent in 1999 and again in 2000. Those contracts cost the state an extra $1.3 billion within a year, according to the state’s independent Legislative Analyst’s Office.

There were more to come.

After technology stocks plummeted in 2000, cutting tax revenue, Davis asked state workers to postpone additional raises.

In lieu of immediate increases, Davis and the California Legislature agreed to link highway patrol pay to an average of the five biggest law enforcement agencies in the state. The result: escalating raises that came due after Davis left office. Officers’ pay rose 2.7 percent in fiscal 2004, 12.1 percent in fiscal 2005 and 5.6 percent and 5.7 percent in the following years, according the Legislative Analyst’s Office.

Aiding Recruitment
The pay boosts were needed to help bring more officers to the agency at a time it couldn’t fill all its cadet positions, said Jon Hamm, chief executive officer of the California Association of Highway Patrolmen, the union for CHP officers.

“At the time we accomplished our biggest gains, I actually felt I was losing the recruitment war,” Hamm said in an e- mailed statement. “I think it is clear that when our biggest gains were negotiated I did not feel they were ‘excessive;’ in fact, almost the opposite was true.”

The wage increases help explain disparities in the data compiled by Bloomberg in which many California highway patrol officers now earn much more than counterparts in other states. For example, 45 California officers earned at least $200,000 in 2011, compared with nine in other states -- five in Pennsylvania and four in Illinois, according to the data. While more than 5,000 California troopers made $100,000 or more in 2011, only three in North Carolina did, the data show.

Guards Follow
The pay deal for the California Highway Patrol got the attention of the state’s politically potent prison guards’ union, which successfully lobbied to have its compensation tied to that of state troopers.

The result was a pay increase of more than 30 percent for members of the union over the five-year contract. The state’s auditor, Elaine Howle, in July 2002 estimated the contract cost taxpayers an extra $500 million a year.

The prison guards’ union gave Davis more than $3 million for his various elections, including $250,000 a few weeks after the pay increase was negotiated, campaign records show.

California had almost 11,000 workers in the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation who made $100,000 or more in 2011, and about 900 prison employees earning more than $200,000 a year, data compiled by Bloomberg show. New York had none. Its top-paid officer is a sergeant at Sing Sing Correctional Facility who made $170,000 last year.

Deficit Balloons
Davis had taken office in 1999 with a $12 billion budget surplus. Four years later, he began his second term by reporting a $35 billion budget deficit -- about $1,000 for every man, woman and child in the state.

Davis was recalled in October 2003 amid criticism of the deficit, his handling of an energy crisis that saw power prices soar and political contributions from public-employee unions, technology companies and others.

After Davis left, lawsuits over the quality of care for prison inmates and patients of state mental-health hospitals rapidly elevated pay for doctors, dentists, nurses and psychiatrists.

In 2005 and the years that followed, a federal court took over prison health care and took steps that included reducing the time inmates had to wait for treatment.

That, combined with a crowded prison population, increased the workload and demand for nurses even as a shortage nationwide left the state with vacancies.

Union Rules
Union-negotiated rules required state departments to handle the extra work by offering overtime to California nurses before bringing in contract nurses from private companies. The requirement led to a greater reliance on overtime for nursing in California than in any other state, one that persists to this day.

Nurses in California last year made $673 million in total pay, including $103 million in overtime, or 15.3 percent. By contrast, those in New York made $561 million in total pay, of which almost $40 million was in overtime, or 7.1 percent.

Forty-two nurses in California’s prisons and mental hospitals have reaped especially rich overtime payouts. They made an average of $1.3 million each during the seven years, including $674,000 in overtime.

The highest-paid nurse in the seven years was Lina Manglicmot, who worked at a state prison in Soledad, about 130 miles (209 kilometers) south of San Francisco. She collected $1.7 million from 2005 through 2011, including $1 million in overtime, the data show. Manglicmot declined to comment.

Wage Concessions
Curbing the compensation of California employees eluded Schwarzenegger through two terms as he tried to pry wage concessions back from their unions.

In 2009, he responded to a growing financial crisis by imposing furloughs, or a mandatory unpaid day off each month, for all state workers. The forced time off later grew to three days a month.

Furloughs depressed regular wages while increasing overtime compensation for employees, such as prison guards, who had to work through them. The first six months of the furloughs, for instance, cost California $52 million in accrued vacation time for prison guards alone, according to findings by the state Senate Office of Oversight and Outcomes.

The furloughs led to backlogs of vacation time for other state workers as well, in violation of state rules. California stipulates that workers shouldn’t accumulate more than 640 hours of vacation or personal leave.

Forced Furloughs
“Furloughs were never meant to solve the state’s structural budget problem or save money in the long run,” Schwarzenegger said. “We had to do what was necessary to keep paying the bills and keep the lights on.”

More than 111,000 government employees working for the 12 most populous states collected $710 million in leave payouts last year, the data show. California workers accounted for almost 40 percent and have collected about $1.4 billion since 2005. The payouts have more than doubled in California in the past seven years.

“Those kinds of payments, they are absolutely inappropriate and we are doing everything we can to make sure it doesn’t recur,” said Morgenstern, the state’s labor secretary.

Public employee unions have made some concessions at the bargaining table, such as contributing as much as 5 percent more of their earnings toward pensions, and forgoing overtime pay for some holidays. State worker furloughs under Schwarzenegger amounted to a 15 percent pay cut; under Brown, they’ve been about 5 percent.

Yet the legacy of California’s collective bargaining, budget battles and court struggles over inmate care continue to elevate its payroll, data compiled by Bloomberg show.

Allowing that to happen was a mistake, and taxpayers will be dealing with it for years, said Bob Stern, president of the nonpartisan Center for Governmental Studies in Los Angeles.

“The labor unions really called in their chits, and Davis went along with it,” Stern said by telephone. “In hindsight, they should not have done it, because they made future generations pay for the benefits they approved.”



http://www.bloomberg.com/news/print...-shows-california-leads-u-s-pay-giveaway.html
 
Well we're not going over the Cliff, so he did something.

Let's see if we can get him to send Grover Norquist to Guantanamo. for the good of the country. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Never let a good ADA go to waste. :D
 
We'er in freefall now

And hoping for the house, infected with tea party stupidity, will pull our ripcord. I don't see them putting their selfish views aside long enough to consider what the country needs.

I hope you are right Jack and they do get their shit together, but I think we might be expecting too much from this bunch. Even if they do manage to work their way through this they will cripple us in a couple of months on the debt ceiling.

It is hard to be optimistic with this bunch.
 
Trysail, Trysail, Trysail.



While I might be interested in what you think, I have no interest in reading the propaganda that has warped your mind. You seem to think that we should work for what they offer, and live with our familes in the 'Love Canals' that they will leave behind.

If you have daughters, will you bring them naked out to the rich to let them abuse them any way that they want to? I am afraid that you would.

I don't worship at the altar of the rich mans feet like you, so I see things differently.

It was said by your hero, that corporations are people, they are and they aren't. They are owned by people and made up of people but they have only one purpose, to make money, anyway they can with no right and wrongs only profits or losses.
People have a conscience, corporations don't.

Now why don't you explain to me why other countries can care for their sick and we can't? Healthcare should be within our reach for every american citizen, other countries can do it, why can't we? I will tell you. It is because we think that it is a free gift, something that is not earned. As a nation we seem to think that the rich should have everything and only dole it out to the workers after they have earned it. Everything has to be earned, food, housing, schooling, and healthcare. But you also think the rich should be able to make a profit, so the poor have to pay extra to the rich to have what others in other countries can take for granted. I will never go along with that.

But you and people like yourself, who have their nose so far up the rich man's ass that they can't see for themselves where they are going, think that is the way it should be. Is that why you have to cut and paste what they have told you when you are asked what YOU think?

You are the sort that would starve your family to please some people who have no regard for you or yours.

How about this, we quit shooting million dollar missiles at mud huts and take care of our people.
 


That may as well be a vote in the "Trickle Down" column. We'll count it as "yes, but" vote in favor of "Trickle Down."


You are to be congratulated for your perspicacity in recognizing that China encouraged capitalism and did EXACTLY what you're supposed to do if you want economic growth.


Meanwhile, the U.S. has repeatedly scared the bejesus out of capitalists with an incessant stream of a host of threats. If I was the owner of hundreds of millions, I'd be thinking very seriously about getting some of it out of the U.S. before it's swiped.



Started celebrating early last night? That's the only reasonable explanation I can fathom for your wholesale failure to recognize the difference between a nascent capitalist economy emerging from the wreckage of a failed state run centralized economy and a fully developed mature economic system. In that case, there is no point in discussing this issue. If you believe that I favor concentrating wealth in the hands of an ever decreasing number of hands and destroying the middle class in the process, then I have to question your reading comprehension skills. Or maybe you just don't know what "trickle down" means.

Perhaps you would be happier in China. Except for the fact that you would have to check your guns at the door.
 
Obama is loved on Facebook? Seriously, dude, on WHAT planet? 99.9% of the memes are either bashing him or Liberals in general.

Depends on your friends. I liked 98%, Being Liberal, and one million strong against Romney, so I get a bunch of liberal stuff in my timeline :D

To the rest of you ranters and ravers.

Calm the fuck down. This isn't the apocalypse. We've lived through enough of them.

We don't want to take away your precious firearms. We want you;

1. to pay for them
2. renew your license every few years
3. have a background check that's a bit more intensive than seeing if you have a 'I want to shoot children' sticker on your KKK membership badge
4. and generally take away your ability to shoot streams of hot lead into squishy civilians.

Is that the beginning of the apocalypse?
Is that taking away your fundamental rights?

Yes?

Too goddamn bad.
 
This is the kind of shit that gives liberals a bad name

1. to pay for them
2. renew your license every few years
3. have a background check that's a bit more intensive than seeing if you have a 'I want to shoot children' sticker on your KKK membership badge
4. and generally take away your ability to shoot streams of hot lead into squishy civilians.

Is that the beginning of the apocalypse?
Is that taking away your fundamental rights?

Yes?

Too goddamn bad.

And to make it even worst, you are supposed to be one of the smart ones. I have no interest in gun control. I want to see heath services for those sick enough to shoot kids and 'squishy civilians'. As far as compromising rights, the gun lovers have watched as the laws piled up one on top of another on abortion until the right to have an abortion is almost done away with altogether.

So Yes the gun lovers do see it as taking away their rights. Don't you wish that the 'choice' people had fought as hard to keep abortion rights? If not now you will if you ever need one. They feel that way about guns. Once I would have told them that they were crazy but now, I am not so sure.

We came very close to election a man who might very well have taken your last chances of happiness away to fatten the bank accounts of people who don't even need the money.

I think you should think a little about the position you are taking, these gun nuts ,whille on the right, still might be fighting for the freedoms that benefit you also.
 
And to make it even worst, you are supposed to be one of the smart ones. I have no interest in gun control. I want to see heath services for those sick enough to shoot kids and 'squishy civilians'. As far as compromising rights, the gun lovers have watched as the laws piled up one on top of another on abortion until the right to have an abortion is almost done away with altogether.

So Yes the gun lovers do see it as taking away their rights. Don't you wish that the 'choice' people had fought as hard to keep abortion rights? If not now you will if you ever need one. They feel that way about guns. Once I would have told them that they were crazy but now, I am not so sure.

We came very close to election a man who might very well have taken your last chances of happiness away to fatten the bank accounts of people who don't even need the money.

I think you should think a little about the position you are taking, these gun nuts ,whille on the right, still might be fighting for the freedoms that benefit you also.

The funny thing is, the people who are taking away abortion rights are the same people who oppose limitations on firearms.
 
While I might be interested in what you think, I have no interest in reading the propaganda that has warped your mind. You seem to think that we should work for what they offer, and live with our familes in the 'Love Canals' that they will leave behind.

If you have daughters, will you bring them naked out to the rich to let them abuse them any way that they want to? I am afraid that you would.

I don't worship at the altar of the rich mans feet like you, so I see things differently.

It was said by your hero, that corporations are people, they are and they aren't. They are owned by people and made up of people but they have only one purpose, to make money, anyway they can with no right and wrongs only profits or losses.
People have a conscience, corporations don't.

Now why don't you explain to me why other countries can care for their sick and we can't? Healthcare should be within our reach for every american citizen, other countries can do it, why can't we? I will tell you. It is because we think that it is a free gift, something that is not earned. As a nation we seem to think that the rich should have everything and only dole it out to the workers after they have earned it. Everything has to be earned, food, housing, schooling, and healthcare. But you also think the rich should be able to make a profit, so the poor have to pay extra to the rich to have what others in other countries can take for granted. I will never go along with that.

But you and people like yourself, who have their nose so far up the rich man's ass that they can't see for themselves where they are going, think that is the way it should be. Is that why you have to cut and paste what they have told you when you are asked what YOU think?

You are the sort that would starve your family to please some people who have no regard for you or yours.

How about this, we quit shooting million dollar missiles at mud huts and take care of our people.[/QUOTE]


Beautiful, just beautiful.

Let me add pure and simple why don;t we mind our fucking business period? get the fuck out of the middle east. they hate us. Our presence there under the guise of "bringing them to democracy" earned us 911 and has earned us the hatred of an entire region of the world

get the fuck out. stay the fuck out let them kill each other who the fuck cares?

Why can;t our government(and this goes back to Bush #1) see that we will not change or stop these animals from fighting they have been fighting over the same religious beliefs and chunks of dirt for thousands of years.

They will never want us there so why waste money and just as importantly if not more, our soldiers lives. The army is here to defend us not just stand around as moving targets for the entire middle east.

why the hell do we get involved? Well for Bush it was Kuwait and oil, but for obama?

Hmm.....uh...... Barack HUSSAIN Obama. hmmmm
 
And to make it even worst, you are supposed to be one of the smart ones. I have no interest in gun control. I want to see heath services for those sick enough to shoot kids and 'squishy civilians'. As far as compromising rights, the gun lovers have watched as the laws piled up one on top of another on abortion until the right to have an abortion is almost done away with altogether.

So Yes the gun lovers do see it as taking away their rights. Don't you wish that the 'choice' people had fought as hard to keep abortion rights? If not now you will if you ever need one. They feel that way about guns. Once I would have told them that they were crazy but now, I am not so sure.

We came very close to election a man who might very well have taken your last chances of happiness away to fatten the bank accounts of people who don't even need the money.

I think you should think a little about the position you are taking, these gun nuts ,whille on the right, still might be fighting for the freedoms that benefit you also.

You (and plenty of others) think that gun control is not an issue because mental health is an issue. They are both issues, and they both need to be addressed. Just because I'm not on my mental health soapbox, doesn't mean I don't care. Right now I'm on my gun soapbox.

No more than one bullet per trigger pull
No more than one gun per person, unless you need guns for your job
No concealed carry unless it is part of your job description
mandatory safety and usage lessons with every purchase. Written tests to make sure you retained the information every four years, retake the lessons if you fail the tests.
All gun owners registered by the police.
Limited ammo per purchase

That is what I want. That is what would make me feel safe.
 
Last edited:
You (and plenty of others) think that gun control is not an issue because mental health is an issue. They are both issues, and they both need to be addressed. Just because I'm not on my mental health soapbox, doesn't mean I don't care. Right now I'm on my gun soapbox.

No more than one bullet per trigger pull
No more than one gun per person, unless you need guns for your job
No concealed carry unless it is part of your job description
mandatory safety and usage lessons with every purchase. Written tests to make sure you retained the information every four years, retake the lessons if you fail the tests.
All gun owners registered by the police.
Limited ammo per purchase

That is what I want. That is what would make me feel safe.

That list might make you feel safe but it won't make you safe.

Go check and see where the last dozen shooters got their guns. I'll bet none of them were bought legally by them.

Yes, changes need to be made to the gun laws but what you've listed is either already in place or won't help in the least.
 
Back
Top