For you, my lady

TheKindMaster

Experienced
Joined
Nov 18, 2012
Posts
96
PM interest. My character and writing style are described in the first post of my Sanctuary, link is my signature.
-----------------------------------------------------------
The son of a blacksmith and a grocery store assistant, Adrian grew up far from the bright lights of London. He had lived in tiny village until he was eighteen, when he offered the chance to leave his peasant life behind him. The Countess of Satchford had an opening and he jumped at it, selling himself superbly. He saw it as a fantastic opportunity to increase his place in life.

Of course, once he got to London, he was swiftly shown his place. Every day, he was ordered about by the Countess and her guests. 2 years after arriving, he was seriously considering returning home to join his father in the family business. Then she arrived. Marian. She was a niece of the Countess, from the country like himself. Of course, their circumstances growing up could have not being more different.

The moment they met, they hit it off. She was not like her aunt, not one bit. She was very bit of the country girl she had grown up as. Every night after whatever ball was on, she would come to the servants' quarters to hang out with him. She always looked spectacular in her gowns, but never looked at ease in them. Tonight was no different.

"My dear Marian, when will you ever learn that these 'gentlemen' are looking for one thing and one thing only, a trophy wife that can hang off their arm at functions just like this, and take home so you can take care of their...needs."
 
Marian

The pressure of bring a female in their day and age was immense. Expectations of a girl were very specific.They were to bring pride to their family by marrying well and bearing the usual four or five children while their husbands visited their mistresses at night. Marian was different than most girls. Her days were filled with romping about the countryside, fishing with her dog Satch and stealing an apple off Mrs. Ganning's trees. Her father was constantly lecturing her on how a young lady was to conduct herself. Something had died in her father when a mysterious fever had taken her mother from them. It was like the man that her mother had fallen in love with had almost completely disappeared. She could still remember her mother retelling the tale of the day they met with a fondness that made her eyes twinkle in amusement. Marian knew that she wanted what her parents had had; that great passion.

After refusing the hand of a local duke, her father sent her to her aunt. It wasn't the most pleasant of experiences. In truth she felt like a trussed up cow up for auction and the vapid young men crudely staring at her made her skin crawl. Her father had begged her to at least try to make an effort here but she felt nothing when she met these men. Night after night she danced and faked interest in their conversations about tailors and shoemakers. Marian had to catch herself from yawning during a debate on farming techniques between two of her aunts' friends. Goodness these people were helplessly boring. She wanted to go riding and to be free of the damnable corset that her aunt insisted she'd wear. Marian preferred being able to breath and wasn't like she needed it. Her mother had let her run wild most of her life and never really insisted on strict manners or decorum. She missed riding Nyx through the fields and sitting by the small pond where she fished.

Her one relief in all this was Adrian, one of the servants that she had befriended. Marian enjoyed his company more than the stuffy aristocrats that were foisted on her every night. If she hadn't made that promise she would likely be spending her nights hanging out with him instead. After every ball or event she came down to the servant's quarters just to see him. Tonight she was dress a white gown with yellow embroidery around the bodice. Marian had managed to go without the corset tonight so she was relaxed in her clothing for once. She sat and pulled some of the pins from her hair, letting the brown curls down. She sighed. "That feels so much better." She ran a small hand through the soft brown curls, laying it over her shoulder.

Marian was almost amused at her dismal failure to connect with any of her aunt's guests. Nothing, All she felt was nothing with them. Maybe she just couldn't feel anything for a man besides friendship. "Consider it my unrelenting belief their has to be at least one good one in the rotten bunch. I do not subject myself to all this idiocy for my own benefit. I made a promise to at least try." The loneliness was starting to get to her though,especially at night when she ached to be touched. "Maybe my father will eventually give up and allow me my freedom back. I feel more like a caged animal than a woman."
 
Adrian had brought tea with him as an excuse to see Marian. He couldn't just enter the chambers. He was a servant, and a servant was not allowed in the upper levels of the house if they were not carrying out a task. He poured two cups and handed one to Marian.

"So how was tonight's affair? I did see you talking with that young man from Cambridge. He must have been alright", he said with a wry smile.
 
Marian

Marian took the cup from Adrian and took a sip of the tea. "The Sutton twins decided to attend again. I tried to be friendly but they think little of a girl like me." Unfortunately that was the case most of the time. Marian kept alot of it to herself, not wanting to seem whiny.The twins were also staying at her aunt's estate. The two of them were in for a nasty surprise. Marian had always been fond of pranks. After she had finally been released from her cage to catch a few little lizards and plant them in their beds. It was their own fault that they had no sense of humor.

"You mean the one who gave me a 20 minute lecture on a woman's place in the world. That narcissistic ape bored me to death." She felt a tiny thrill seeing that smile but didn't want to dwell too much on her reaction. At that moment she regretted the words. It wasn't very christian to speak that way about someone. "Honestly I'd much rather spend my time playing chess with you or just talking. I still say you cheated in that last game." Marian stirred the tea in her cup, thinking. Her mood turned a tad somber. "Adrian? Do you think a woman can be born cold? I mean not able to feel anything physical for a man?" It was a risky topic and one she had never spoken out loud even to Adrian but she trusted that he would answer her truthfully and not make fun of her for it.
 
Adrian smiled at Marian.

"Now, my dear lady, no person is born without their counterpart. Finding this person will awaken that fire within you, your passion for life. You will love this person with all your heart. You just need to find him.

Bringing out the chess board,

"Now, I think I have to beat you more time to put an end to all this cheating talk!"

He set up the game and made the first move.
 
Marian

Marian gave Adrian's words some serious thought. She was impatient in this avenue of her life. "I fear my father will have me married to some old lord 20 years my senior before I find my counterpart." She scrutinized him. "I had no idea you were such a romantic, Adrian. So few men are." Marian gave him a cheeky grin and examined his first move. She did enjoy these meetings with him. She made her first move as well, examining his face for a clue of his strategy.

An idea popped into her brain, making her smile. "How about this time we make this interesting? A small wager on the game?" What she had in mind might shock Adrian because of her forwardness but it was necessary. Her eyes darkened in anticipation. "A favor for the winner. If you win, I will do something for you or if I win you will owe me the boon. Sounds fair. Do you agree?"
 
"What can I say, I'm part of a dying breed", he said with a smile.

He mulled her offer for a moment, then agreed.

"You're on, my lady."

Over the next hour, the pieces fell. Marian's game had improved since they had had last played. Adrian was struggling to read her as easy as he used to. It was frustrating him, and throwing him off his game. Then he lost his queen. Now he was really in trouble.

Soon enough, he was close to defeat. He had stupidly cornered his king. Before he knew it,

"Checkmate", said Marian with a huge grin on his face.

Adrian had to smile as well.

"Alright, my lady, what will it be?"
 
Marian

"you are definitely one of a kind, my friend." Marian concentrated on the game, hiding he reactions as much as she could. Adrian had always been observant. It was how he won their games. She was sure of it.

Marian grinned successfully. She already knew exactly what she wanted. A soft blush was staining her cheeks and she wrung her hands nervously. Marian took in a deep breath. This was Adrian, not some blood sucking harpy. Gads, girl! Woman up and just ask. "I want you to be my first kiss, Adrian."
 
Adrian blinked.

Did he just hear her right?

"Marian, are you sure? That's a big responsibility for me", he said with a small smile.

Adrian wracked his mind. This was an unbelievable set of events. Sure, there was no doubt in his mind that Marian was a beautiful girl, and if she was any other girl, he would be agreeing to this in an instant. But this was Marian, niece to his employer. Plus, she was his friend.

"Are you sure?", he said again.
 
Marian

She had been right. It threw her poor friend for a loop but he needed to know she was serious. "I trust you, Adrian. I already know you're a good man and you've been my only friend here. I like you." She couldn't stem off the emotions that were coming from her body. Was she attracted to him? She had never felt it before so how could she know.

"I'm sure about this, Adrian." She looked puzzled. "Don't you think I'm pretty?" Marian felt a little insecure at the moment and it showed. She did that thing with her eyes that made a little wrinkle between her brows when something bothered her.
 
Adrian took Marian's hand in his, trying to comfort her.

"My dear lady, you are the most beautiful girl I have ever seen. I am honoured that you would trust me with this pivotal moment in your life. I will gladly do this for you."

He moved closer to her, his face now inches from hers. He studied her face for a moment, looking deep into her eyes. They shimmered in the low light.

He searched for one last moment of doubt. It wasn't there.

Then he kissed her, gently.
 
Marian

Marian's heart fluttered in her chest. He thought her beautiful? She touched his cheek, smiling at him. "Of course I trust you. You are only person who lets me be myself instead of some kind of wind up doll they prance about." They treated her like a brood mare.

She looked at him in this light. Adrian was indeed handsome and gentle. He listened when she needed him to and made her laugh. She had doubts about this. This is what she with who she wanted. When his lips touched hers, she felt her heart leap.

Her soul felt warm when he touched her. She didn't want to break apart from him.
 
Adrian deepened the kiss, realising now how much he wanted this. He cupped her face with his hand, allowing his tongue to press between her lips. The passion was growing, it felt like they were the only two people in the world. This would be their downfall.

"Ahem".

Adrian recognised the voice and tone immediately. He was in big trouble.
 
Marian

Marian's pulse was beating an erratic rhythm in her chest. She felt his tongue in her mouth and a warmth pooled in her lower stomach. There was that feeling, the one of warmth and yearning. The one made her come alive in his kiss.

How short a trip to Heaven we have before we are pulled down to the abyss.

"Ahem"

Good god, no! This was the last thing she wanted. "Please let me explain."
 
Mr. Stanley, get your stuff from the quarters. Then leave this house and never return.

The stare coming his direction tore right through him. He had no choice but to just leave. He quietly left the room. As soon as the door was closed, the shouting began. His heart broke for Marian. But there was nothing he could do.

He packed the few belongings he had in the quarters and left. He found some lodgings in the city for the night. He couldn't think. What was he supposed to do now? Back home to rural Westington?
 
Marian

A young woman such as yourself should not be associating with someone of inferior birth. This is for the best. You will thank me for it.

Marian's heart was so conflicted as she tore away from her aunt. This was all her fault for asking for such a ridiculous favor. A seed of bitterness had been sewn in her heart for her aunt. Marian wanted to at least say goodbye and ask him to forgive for starting all of this.

Her aunt's staff managed to delayed her just enough so that all she could do was stand there by the window. She watched forlorn as the only person that made this all bearable was being forced to leave. A tear slowly ran down her cheek. It was tear for Adrian, a tear for herself, a tear for what she felt could have come from that kiss.

She ignored the staff and her aunt, alone in her sadness. "Oh Adrian, forgive me." Marian realized she might never feel what she felt that night again and it was her own fault.
 
The following morning, Adrian had formulated a plan. During his time at the Satchford mansion, he had heard about the market place that dealt with the constantly changing prices of goods. His background in the family farm business could give him an advantage. Following breakfast, he counted what little money he had left. Seven shillings. It wasn't much. He would need a new job in a week, or the idea of going home would become a reality.

He found the market place with little difficulty. He seemed to be an old warehouse on the outskirts of the docks. The recent hundred year war with our channel neighbours had dramatically reduced the overseas trade. As a result, some of the warehouses lay empty. The trade would pick up again in time, but until then, the businessmen of the town needed a new way to increase their fortunes.

Inside, the place was a hive of activity. Traders lined the walls and and formed a circle around the centre of the warehouse. Adrian watched quietly for the first hours, figuring out how it worked. Traders would have a sample of their goods, and punters would pay a price. At one end, Adrian spotted some good quality grain. When he saw the price, he couldn't believe it was so low. He snapped it up before anyone else could. Now he went in search of a buyer. He walked down the other end of the warehouse and pitched it to another trader. In 5 minutes, he had tripled his money. He was stunned at how easy it was. He was sure they was a catch, but right now he couldn't see it.

By the end of the day, Adrian had turned his seven shillings into fifty pounds. He had had so money in his entire life. He didn't know what to do with it. The first thing he did was buy a nice suit. A guy in a suit garnered a lot of respect at the market place. Then he retired to an upmarket hotel on the west side of town. In one day, he had gone from almost flat broke to on the cusp of royalty status.
 
Marian

The music was a nuisance in her ears. People from far and wide had evidently been invited by her aunt for this celebration. Despite the fact that this was Marian's birthday, her aunt had taken complete control in the arrangements. Over the last year Marian had grown more stubborn in regards to her father and aunt's plans to see her married to some rich suitor. She had grown more isolated, spending most of her time with her dog. Her aunt had gone so far as to dress in a very risky dress for this even with a low neck line. The royal blue silk complimented her slightly tanned skin.

Marian stood in what used to be her friend's quarter's, using it for an escape from the mass of people. It had stayed empty all this time and had become her hideaway, a place to just be herself or maybe relax, let her guard down. Adrian was never far from her mind when she visited this place. She still missed their daily conversations, his little quips, the way he teased her sometimes. In her hand she fingered the small chess piece, remembering the last game they ever played. The regret tore at her soul because she knew that anything could have happened to him after leaving her aunt's employ.

Most of the servants knew that she hid there to get away from her aunt. When she was there, no one would bother her. Tonight there were candles lit. In the low light, Marian was sat with the chess piece, remembering her friend. Was that all he was? She put a hand to her lips, thinking about how his lips felt on hers, the thrill of it. She knew she would always wonder what could have been. In the shadows came a small noise, a creak from that old part of the floor that Adrian never got around to fixing. "Who is there? Show yourself."
 
Over the next couple of months, Adrian built himself a fortune and a reputation as one of the best traders in the land. He bought himself a townhouse on the upper eastside, furnished it lavishly and hired a staff to manage its upkeep. He was doing very well, but his mind couldn't shake that night almost 6 months ago in Marian's room. His mind sometimes wondered what would have happened if her aunt had not walked in? He certainly wouldn't be the youngest man in the land have such a fortune. He would still be answering to that bitch. But that all seemed pointless without that special one.

A few days later, he heard of an important event planned for the Satchford mansion. He had to go. But he couldn't be recognised. He spent the rest of the day changing his appearance, getting his hair cut and styled. He now had a beard, but had that stylishly trimmed. He bought a new suit, a coal coloured three piece. Now all he needed was a title. He had recently bought a huge mansion in the Scottish highlands. He had hoped to use it as a holiday home, but it could be the perfect cover. Adrian was now Lord Aviemore.

He arrived at the party. How could he have forgotten Marian's birthday? The countess had spared no cost. All the playmakers of the town were in attendance. He quietly observed the crowd. Then his eyes fell upon her. She looked breathtaking. But he couldn't bring himself to approach her.
 
Marian

Marian shook her head. Now she was hearing things. What would her mother say is she could see her? It was some thing her father and aunt had been saying to her alot lately. In truth the young woman felt as if she was being ganged upon. She humored her aunt by allowing the gentlemen of her choice to parade her around town in hopes of winning her favor but Marian couldn't forget her first kiss. No matter how it ended, it was exactly what she wanted it to be. Nowadays she felt so alone and misunderstood.

She didn't conduct herself as the upper class saw fit. Marian wanted to be herself and they were forcing her to smother her true personality. Sadly she lay the chess piece back on the wooden shelf. "I miss you Adrian. You're only one who ever saw me." It was silly to talk to herself like that but she couldn't help but say as she felt. With a long sigh, Marian made her way back to the party, hoping for a quick end to the festivities. She considered releasing the pigs like she did a few months ago but she didn't think her aunt's humor would stand another party being crashed by stampeding swine.

Marian hid herself among the mass of people, most of whom she had never met. That woman invited most of England to these get-togethers. The term 'small get-together' no longer meant just friends but everyone except the queen. She watched some of the local couples gliding across the dance floor together. It was so delightful to see that at least some people were lucky enough to find that match. It was so evident in their eyes that it made her heart ache and a familiar pair of eyes came to mind.

She felt an inch on the back of her neck as if she was being watched. Marian saw a pair of eyes looking her way and he heart nearly dropped into her stomach. For a moment she swore he was....She quickly walked to where he had been standing. Marian prayed it wasn't just her imagination. It had been so long. Surely he wouldn't show his face here after everything that had happened. Her aunt would serve him up to the dogs.

Marian had prayed for him since the night he had been thrown out into the cold. Her heart palpitated in her chest as she reached out slightly to get he man's attention. "Pardon me? I have not seen you here before. May I ask your name?"
 
Adrian found himself chatting to one of the wealthy traders he had come to know during his time at the markets. They were discussing the latest movements in prices. Everyone seemed to be losing money at that time, everyone except Adrian that was.

Suddenly, he felt a hand on his arm. He turned to lay his eyes on her. It took all of his resolve to stay calm.

"Good evening Miss. I am Lord Aviemore, from the Scottish Highlands. You must be Miss Marian. May I wish you the best of birthdays."

He stood tall, trying to act as if he belonged in these circles. It was killing him not to tell Marian who he really was. But he had to keep up appearances, especially here.
 
Marian

Marian did her best to hide the disappointment in her heart. There was no way that this was Adrian. This man was dressed way about Adrian's station and was groomed in the latest style. She couldn't help the feeling of familiarity that she had in his presence. It obviously was the fact he did bear a resemblance to Adrian.

She could see her aunt glaring at her from across the room. Marian blushed slightly in his presence. This gentleman inspired a feeling of shyness and attraction she hadn't felt in a while. Was she really this fickle that she could go from feeling something for Adrian and now this man just because he looked like him.

"I thank you for the well wishes, my lord. I do apologize if I interrupted your conversation with these gentleman."Her blush became more evident. "You resemble an old friend of mine and when I saw you, I thought he had returned, Needless to say, I was anxious to become reacquainted." The orchestra began a waltz and couples started to pair off onto the dance floor.

In this day and age, it was almost scandalous for the female to ask the male to dance but Marian seldom was one to conform. She also did not want to have to deal her aunt who was making her way to them from the corner of the room. "Lord Aviemore, would you dance with me?" She felt an excitement at the thought of his hand on her waist.
 
"Not at all my lady"

He dropped his voice,

"You in fact saved me from this man", nodding in the direction of the elderly man to his left, "He wanted to pick my brain for advice on which items to buy this week at the markets. He seems I'm the only person who can see a sure thing these days".

Adrian didn't want to brag, but he wanted to give Marian the idea that the man standing in front of him bared no resemblance to Adrian.

He listened to her story, his heart breaking for her. He could end it right there, but blowing his cover as her aunt approached was suicide.

"I'm sure your friend will reappear at some point".

He smiled at her forwardness, knowing her approaching aunt was a large part of it.

"I'll be glad to my lady."

He took her hand and led to the dancefloor. He put his hand on her waist and they began to waltz across the floor.
 
Marian watched him with avid interest as he spoke. She almost laughed at the idea of saving him from the gentleman's idle conversation. His attempt at reassurance saddened her heart because it raised her doubts that she would ever see Adrian again. The people among the room whispered as she and the mysterious lord glided across the dance floor.

It was a rare event indeed when Marian allowed a man to touch her, even for a dance. She knew that it would likely cause a stir but she kept her attention on her partner. The melody of music guided them in their dance. To onlookers it seemed as if the two were two halves of a whole. The older women speculated and the younger giggled. Marian didn't like being the center of attention.

Thankfully the dance floor began to become more populated and they had to maneuver towards the gardens. There was a soft breeze as they danced in the low light with two other couples. It felt like they were the only two people in the world and Marian was lost to the music. His touch on her waist was strong but not too firm. Somehow she felt safe in his arms.

Once the music ended, Marian curtsied in the traditional manner. The other two couple exited the gardens and left the couple on their own. She smiled up at him. "Would you walk with me? Although I do appreciate my aunt's efforts, I would like some time away from the festivities. I have enjoyed your company so far."
 
"Certainly, my lady".

He held out his arm for her to take, and led her outside. It was a warm summer's evening, but there was still a chill in the air. They walked down the big steps outside the arch double doors to the rose garden. When he had worked at the Satchford mansion, this was his favourite garden on the lands. It was always in great colour, and brought peace to him in troubled times.

He turned to Marian, admiring her beauty. She was wearing a stunning gown that only accented her prefect figure.

"So how are you finding life here in Satchford? I hear you moved here from Darlington about a year ago."
 
Back
Top