Losing Control (closed)

zydrate

Sweet Zydrate
<< if interested, please send me a PM - your character would preferably me a spy on a mission who happens to stop by and sees KT... perhaps he makes her a side conquest or such... perhaps he hides out at her place after saving her from being attacked... sent me a PM if interested. >>

Kasey Thomas aka KT
Age 23

Kelly's Koffee House and Cocktails, Manhattan

For a Sunday night, things were going a little slow... sure it was slower than last night but still, most of the times, Sundays were a little more buzzing. KT could only figure it had to do with the baseball game and things wouldn't really pick up until about an hour before close. Not that it mattered to her, she was getting paid the same, no matter what.

She and her other guitarist were in between sets and had taken a 30 minute break. It was during this time she would stay in the back of the coffee shop to eat her dinner and catch up on both emails and social media.

KT had started working at Kelly's just after her 3rd year in college. After graduating from high school, she had taken a year to go about and see the world... granted, she only made it as far to New York as one could get from California, she figured she'd have time in life to travel. Figuring she was ready for college, she decided to attend one of the many local colleges in New York... it wasn't much but it was still something. She wasn't exactly sure what she wanted to do with her life, so right now, she was content to just surviving.

And that survival included working part time at this coffee, singing... when they would have her, that is. Tonight, she was looking at her phone, scrolling through Facebook, catching up on family news since her father never called her. He didn't like that his only daughter had decided to not attend college right away.. KT's dad had come to the conclusion that she was just throwing her life away and so, he didn't want any part of it. Which was fine. They hardly got along after her mother died during a botched bank robbery at the bank she worked at. Her father wasn't the same afterward. He had lost the sweet loving, kindness he had and had resorted to someone cold and hard. Which was probably the reason KT left home when she did. He never abused her but then again, it felt like he stopped loving her also.

A knock at the breakroom door broke her out of her reverie and she looked up from her bowl of stew, which she had realized she hadn't touched. She saw Shane, her back-up guitarist standing there, he signaled that it was their time to go back on. No words were spoken as he was talking to his girlfriend who didn't trust him that he was at work... it was a whole issue that KT didn't want to be part of. Cleaning up, she packed her food back up and figured she would eat it when she got back to her apartment.

When she entered the main area of dining room, she saw it had gotten a little more packed than it was before they had gone on their break. That was a good thing. It meant a bit more in tips, hopefully. Maybe with that, she'd have enough to get some real groceries for the week and also, put a little more toward her rent for next month.

Shane was tuning up his guitar as KT stepped on 'stage' and got herself situated also, picking up her guitar and not bothering to tune it. There was nothing to tune as it was an old acoustic guitar her uncle James had given her when she said she was leaving. At least amongst her mother's relatives, her older brother was still talking to KT's side of the family. At least he tried.

There were a few people who were regulars of KT's music and she said hi to them before getting ready for her set to start. She had never really paid much attention to the crowd, only because the lights shining onto her and Shane, were bright and the rest of the room was dim to where KT could only see the candles on the tables.

Once they were ready, she turned on her mic, making sure there was no feedback, "Well... good to see you all tonight. I trust the game is just about over?" There was a quiet murmur of yeses, as well as some clapping. "Perfect. As some of you know, my name is Kasey and this is Shane, we perform here on the weekends for your entertainment. Hopefully you'll all like the second set we have come up for you and please, if you have any requests, please let Lisa at the bar know and she'll pass on the suggestions... and also, no country..." that last part got a chuckle out of some people and KT and Shane launched into the first couple of songs of their set.

KT and Shane couldn't and didn't perform hard songs, hard as in songs that needed power and hard vocals... no, they were only coffee shop entertainment, or at least, right now, they were the entertainment for cocktail hour. Each song they ended generated a round of applause and of course, some whistles... usually the crowd was pretty calm and if they ended up a little rowdy, Kelly's husband would take care of them.

"So, this next song is a cover and I know you've probably heard it a lot through out the 90s as well as American Idol... I just hope that I can at least do it some justice..." she waited as it quieted down and she looked at Shane, giving him a count off before launching into Lisa Loeb's Stay. It was a song she had played nearly a million times while learning the guitar... it was also a song she played frequently after her mother was killed... so although there were a lot of feelings associated with the song, it still felt good to know it was one of her first songs to learn.

As she played, KT put as much passion into it as she had with the other songs she had performed. She rarely did covers, but when she did, she made sure to do them well. During the bridge, she had looked up and for some reason, she made eye contact with someone who had just entered the shop. It seemed like their eyes were locked forever before he had walked over to the bar... She and Shane had finished up the song and the crowd seemed to love it. They cheered louder than before but still with some respect. It was then Kelly, the owner, had brought KT a list of songs that had been requested. She thanked Kelly for the list and looked it over, showing Shane what had been requested. She then looked at the clock and realized they only had 10 minutes or so left so, KT picked 2 more songs that she and Shane could play before calling it a night.

After the set, some people came up to herself and Shane to congratulate them and thank them for a nice show. One guy had even come up, telling KT he was a record producer and would love it if she came to his place tonight to 'discuss' her future. Yeah, she had heard that before. Politely declining, KT turned away and started to help Shane pack up their gear.

While putting things away, KT wondered what happened to that man she had seen come in... for some reason, he intrigued her as he didn't look the type to frequent these sort of places... at least from what she could tell from the dim lighting. Once everything was packed up, KT went up to Kelly and got her and Shane's check for the night, as well as the cash tips for their set. KT didn't dare look at the amount just yet as Kelly's payment was always the same, $150.00 for her and Shane, as well as the tips split equally between them.

KT put her things by the door and walked to the back to her jacket. Although it seemed like yesterday summer started, it had quickly ended, leaving the evenings and nights a bit more chilly. It didn't help she had a long walk ahead of her as she didn't live near here. Hell, this was part of one of the most expensive places to live and she could only afford to live in Queens. On her way to the door to grab her gear, she saw the man who she had made eye contact with. They looked at each other again and KT gave him a small smile and an almost whispered, "Hi..." she had to admit, he was handsome... in a rugged sort of way. Normally, she wouldn't have noticed him but tonight, she did and she had wondered why...

Shaking it off, she continued to walk pass him and grab her guitar before leaving Kelly's. She headed down the street to the nearly subway stop to start her journey home. She was so tired, she was sure she'd probably miss tomorrow's early class...

As she was at the halfway point of getting to the subway, the hairs on the back of her neck stood up, so she stopped and looked around... it felt like someone was following her? Looking around once more, KT continued on her walk toward the subway entrance...

Dylan Banks (26) made his way through the bustling streets of Manhattan trying to maintain a safe following distance from the subject. Even though it was getting late the sidewalks remained crowded making it difficult to keep a visual on him. Halfway down the next block the subject darted across the street weaving between cars then reversed direction. “Shit!” Dylan said aloud to himself. There was no way he’d seen Dylan and little reason Dylan could think of for him to suspect he was being followed. The only conclusion he could come to is that he had a spotter who warned him. Not wanting to burn his cover Dylan casually ducked into a coffee shop/bar. It was obvious his surveillance for the evening was done.

As he entered he heard the band performing Stay. There was something about that song that connected with him emotionally and brought back memories of his childhood and how he came to be standing in this place at this moment.

Raised by his grandparents in rural Virginia he spent most of his time alone hunting and working around their farm or with his high school sweetheart who he was sure at the time he’d spend the rest of his life with. Fate had other plans for him though.

As a competition marksman in high school he was heavily recruited by the Army and upon graduation enlisted. He promised he’d be back for her but immediately following basic he was shipped to Ft. Benning to attend sniper training that he completed at the top of his class which put him on the fast track for combat deployment and away from her.

In Afghanistan he notched an unprecedented number of confirmed kills which brought the brass in charge of Black Ops swarming when his tour was over.

The last year had been spent in intensive training for close quarters lethal combat making him “a well rounded killing machine” as his commanding officer put it.

Manhattan was his first deployment in his new capacity. He’d been trailing an Albanian UN attaché who’d been using his position to traffic arms to the worst of the worst. His orders were simple. Take him out and make it wasn't attributable. That would wait for another day though.

As his attention turned back to the stage he was captivated by the singer on stage. As their set ended he was going to talk to her but by the time she finished talking with others she seemed focused on collecting her gear and going so as she passed he was limited to a simple “Hi” as she breezed out the door. He watched through the glass as she started down the street then noticed someone in a hoodie crossing from the other side looking in her direction. It was late and she was alone. His instincts told him something wasn’t right so he followed closely behind as he followed her down to the subway platform.

Dylan moved quietly keeping them in sight while using the large tiled pillars as cover. As the man stalking her made his move Dylan closed the ground between he and the attacker quickly. Startled by Dylan's approach the man shoved her to the ground and swung wildly missing him. Dylan spun around behind him wrapping his thick arm around the man's neck then with a quick motion snapped it then let him fall to the ground.

As Dylan turned to the girl a second attacker seemingly appeared from nowhere with a tire iron and swung at him. Searing pain shot through his body as the tire iron connected with his ribs with the distinct sound of his ribs cracking beneath it. As Dylan collapsed to the ground a gust of wind from the arriving train washed over him just before the attacker connected again with the back of his head. Dylan watched through bleary eyes as his attacker ran off then, mustering whatever he had left, crawled onto the waiting train to get away.

A loud ding and the sound of the train doors whooshing closed were has all he heard before everything went dark.

KT was lost in her own little world... as she usually was when going home. On her way, she had placed her earbuds into her ears and started to play the soundtrack to Sweeney Todd from her phone. It was a new play on Broadway that she had wanted to see but never really had the funds for anything on Broadway. As it was, she was barely scraping by.

Her subway wasn't scheduled to arrive for another few minutes so she stood there on the platform, her foot tapping to the music that drowned out everything around her...

The next thing KT knew was she was pushed to the ground, inches from the edge of the platform. She fell hard on her knees and knew she had skinned them as the fabric of her jeans tore from the impact. Turning, she saw two men.. well, one as the other fell...lifelessly? She wasn't sure. Before KT could get a word out, another man came up behind the one who stood over the man on the ground.

It all happened so fast, that KT didn't have time react properly... hell, she didn't even get a look at the man that had seemingly come out of nowhere with a crowbar. She got up and instinctively reached forward for the man as they both nearly fell into the subway car.

There was no one else on the car as KT tended to the man on the floor. She had wanted to call the police but there was no signal right now. Leaning over him, she pushed the man over on his back and gave his face a few light slaps, "Hey... sir?" she said, not knowing what to do, "Sir? Can you hear me?" He groaned...

He opened his eyes once or twice so that gave KT some hope he was still conscious. She looked around again and knew he would only come to more harm if she just left him there. Of course, that wasn't in her nature to just leave someone helpless and yes, someone who just perhaps saved her from an attack?

She cursed herself as she knew better she shouldn't have had her music on. But she had taken the same way home on and off for the past few weeks and had no reason to worry. "Stupid... you should know better..."

Making her mind up, and again, knowing she couldn't leave this guy on the train, KT placed his arm over her shoulder as she wrapped her arm around his waist, "Hey... guy... you're going to have to help me out, OK? Can you do that?" No answer.

Her stop came up and KT knew it would take some work but she helped him out and he leaned heavily on her as they left the subway ramp....

A few hours later, KT had sat on a chair in her small living room as she watched the man. She had changed into a pair of shorts and had tended to the scrapes on her knees. She was watching the man because she wasn't sure what was going to happen. He was still out, groaning every now and then with a little mumbling but nothing she could understand. She had a baseball bat beside her... just in case...

It made her silently laugh to why she had brought this man to her safe space and was ready to use the bat if necessary...

Earlier, she had tried to see if he had any ID and there was none... perhaps he left it at his home? He didn't even have a phone on him. That was odd. Maybe he had dropped it during the attack... maybe...

He was waking up and so KT moved near him, replacing the cold compress on his head and the makeshift ice pack on his stomach, "hey... are you OK?"

Dylan looked over to see their Humvee overturned and ablaze on the side of the road as he lay in the ditch thrown clear from the blast. The ringing in his ears muted the sound of gunfire as muzzle flashes seemed to be appearing from all directions. The blood trickling down his forehead seemed oddly cool in the desert heat as he struggled to regain his bearings.

An attempt to sit up brought another wave of stabbing pain in his ribs causing him to lay limp again in the sand. He closed his eyes tightly trying to somehow quiet the ringing when he sensed movement beside him. A blurred outline of someone over him sent his hand up wrapping tightly around a thin neck as his eyes snapped open to see the panic ridden face of a young girl.

Dylan let out a long breath and his hand relaxed around her throat as he took in his new surroundings. "Sorry" he muttered as he released her.

He had no idea where he was or how he got here. All he knew at the moment was that every heartbeat was sending throbbing pain through his head and his chest felt like it was on fire. Trying to think back all he could remember was walking through the streets tailing his mark then ducking into a coffee shop.

"What happened?" he asked as he tried to sit up only to collapse back down onto the sofa from the dizziness and nausea.

The grip on her throat caused a momentary wave of shock and panic sink through KT's body. She knew where the bat was... but as instantly as he had grabbed her, he had let go. KT moved back a bit, out of his reach as he spoke, asking what happened.

She cleared her throat, not because of him grabbing her but just that she hadn't spoken in a while, "I was hoping to ask you that same thing." Reaching over, she adjusted the ice pack just under his chest, "I was walking home, taking the subway. I was just doing what I've always done after work and the next thing was someone pushing me down and out you came...basically out of no where. Before I knew it, we both ended up on the subway." She sat back, her legs under her as she shrugged, "I couldn't leave you there so, I brought you here."

"You don't remember, do you? I believe you were also in the coffee shop earlier tonight... I saw you in passing. Anyway, how do you feel? You have a good bump on your head and I saw the bar hit your stomach." KT blushed slightly, "I had to look to make sure nothing was poking through like a rib or something. Not that I know exactly what I'm looking for but it's pretty bruised up, hence the ice pack."

"Did you want me to call someone for you?" She didn't want to tell him about not finding any ID on him. Of course she wanted to ask more but if had to be reminded of what happened, she didn't want to push it. "I was going to call the police to file a report. Maybe they can get footage of the men? I got a good look at the one that attacked you."

Dylan held up a hand "No, no police." As he said it he realized his insistence might raise suspicions so he quickly tried to manufacture a reason to offer. "If neither of us know what really happened it could easily turn into a he said she said situation and who knows where it'd end up."

He closed his eyes for a moment trying to quiet the throbbing in his head and think back to what happened. "Stay" he murmured as more came back. "You were on stage...." another pause as the fragmented memories started to come together a little. "Someone followed you out and into the subway."

After another moment he opened his eyes. "Nothing after that." he said as he softly probed his ribs. "Think I have a couple broken ribs. Definitely a concussion."

Dylan knew he needed to get back to the apartment and check in. Leaving his gun, phone and wallet behind was a necessary OpSec measure but it was complicating things for him now. He silently chastised himself for his laziness in not memorizing his handlers phone number.

"Could I get a glass of water and maybe something to wrap my ribs?" he asked hoping with some compression he'd be able to move without too much pain. As she got up Dylan gingerly pulled himself to a sitting position. The dizziness immediately overtook him as he pressed his hands into the cushion beneath him for support until it subsided. As the spinning slowed he let out a loud groan as he pulled his shirt over his head then inspected the bruising beneath the tattoos on his muscled chest.

"Followed me?" KT said, feeling herself blush. Was it a matter of time? Probably but she just thought it was something that wouldn't happen. "Damn, had I paid more attention, then this wouldn't have happened... I'm sorry."

"Yeah, no problem... give a few minutes to see what I can find." After grabbing a bottle of water, KT also managed to grab an extra bed sheet, a pair of scissors and some tylenol.

When she stepped back into the living room, she stopped momentarily as she saw he had pulled himself up into a sitting position. She saw his chest and the tattoos that covered it... but she also saw the bruising starting to form.

KT handed him the bottle of water and tylenol as she got on her knees beside him and started to cut up the sheet, "I am so sorry about all this again. Had I known I was being followed, I would have kept walking to a safe place and...you wouldn't have gotten hurt." She sighed and leaned up, holding up a strip, "Well, I hope you don't mind the pink flowers... it was all I had."

As they got busy wrapping his torso, KT tried to make small talk, "Do you have someone you need to call? A wife or girlfriend? I can give you my phone since it seems you didn't have one." She shrugged, "I looked to see if you had one and I didn't find one. Maybe you dropped it in the subway? Or!" she exclaimed, "What if that guy took your stuff?!"

"It's not your fault." he said not wanting her to feel bad. "You can do everything right and still wind up in a bad situation if there are people around intent on making it happen."

As he looked at the sheet she held up he smiled. "Oh I love a nice floral pattern!" he said with a little laugh that caused him to grimace as pain shot through his chest.

As she leaned in to help wrap his chest a shiver ran through him as her hair brushed lightly over his skin. He could feel the light tingling of goosebumps starting to form as he tried to distract himself from the pleasant sensation of her touch.

"No, no wife or girlfriend. I left my apartment in a hurry and stupidly left my phone and wallet behind." he offered as an explanation for why he didn't have them. "I do need to check in with my boss but his number is in my phone so that'll have to wait until I get home."

"I'm Dylan by the way." he said as she finished tying off the strip of sheet around his chest. "I really appreciate this but I should probably get out of your hair." Dylan pressed his hands into the sofa trying to lift himself up when the dizziness struck hard again sending him back down then over into her.

"Ohhhh, maybe not quite yet. " he mumbled as his head spun and he fought back another wave of nausea. "Do you mind if I sit a little longer?"

KT nodded as she helped him with the strips of the sheet. "That's a good point."

"Well, they kind of clash with your tattoos but I guess that's the last of your worries." She heard him grimace when she tightened it, "I've done that a time or two.... left my things here, that is. I'm notorious for running late and accidently locked my door without my bag. My landlord hates to be disturbed and said if I did that one more time, he would kick me out." Why was she telling him this?

"Dylan... well, nice to meet you, even under these circumstances. I'm Kasey but everyone calls me KT." She was almost in an intimate position as she had to move in closer and wrap her arms around his chest to secure the sheet. KT shrugged, "You're not in my hair." She said as she caught him in her arms, "I don't mind at all. I mean, it's the least I can do for what happened... just sit back and relax. You're not bugging me in the least."

Going to her room once more, KT returned with a blanket, "In case you want to use it later." She held it out, "I think if you're likely to have a concussion, maybe you should stay awake for a while? Just to make sure?"

Regardless of the pain he was in Dylan couldn't help but feel drawn to KT. There was a genuineness about her that brought him comfort even in the situation he found himself in. It was a comfort he hadn't felt in a long time.

"Thank you." he said taking the blanket from her as she sat back down beside him on the sofa. "I'd put my shirt back on but I'm not sure I want to lift my arms over my head again anytime soon."

He knew she was probably right about him having a concussion but staying awake was going to be a challenge for him since every part of him wanted to nothing more at that moment then to curl up and do go to sleep.

Stretching out the blanket he draped it across his chest as he shivered slightly. "Maybe just a couple minutes wouldn't hurt." he mumbled as he leaned into her until his head rested on her shoulder and closed his eyes.

Back