Another inconvenient truth

Status
Not open for further replies.
is it 50 days

yet?

are we dead yet?

What does the


WHORE

say?

Gordon Brown: 50 Days Before Global Warming Doom Descends

October 20, 2009 6:45 AM

In light of this revelation, there is only one sensible course of action: PANIC!

World leaders have 50 days to save the Earth from irreversible global warming, British Prime Minister Gordon Brown said Monday.

Brown said climate catastrophe would occur if world leaders fail to agree on a climate protection deal at a major climate conference this December in Copenhagen, Denmark.

"If we do not reach a deal at this time, let us be in no doubt: Since once the damage from unchecked emissions growth is done, no retrospective global agreement, in some future period, can undo that choice. By then it will be irretrievably too late," Brown told the Major Economies Forum, a conference bringing together representatives from the world's 17 biggest polluters in London.
 
An added bonus of cap-and-trade: World-wide famine. A shortage of fertilizer will be to blame, since by that time people will forget the real culprits were members of Congress.
 
WHORE and PIMP

Algore


Gore’s Dual Role in Spotlight: Advocate and Investor

JOHN M. BRODER
Published: November 2, 2009
WASHINGTON — Former Vice President Al Gore thought he had spotted a winner last year when a small California firm sought financing for an energy-saving technology from the venture capital firm where Mr. Gore is a partner.


The company, Silver Spring Networks, produces hardware and software to make the electricity grid more efficient. It came to Mr. Gore’s firm, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, one of Silicon Valley’s top venture capital providers, looking for $75 million to expand its partnerships with utilities seeking to install millions of so-called smart meters in homes and businesses.

Mr. Gore and his partners decided to back the company, and in gratitude Silver Spring retained him and John Doerr, another Kleiner Perkins partner, as unpaid corporate advisers.

The deal appeared to pay off in a big way last week, when the Energy Department announced $3.4 billion in smart grid grants. Of the total, more than $560 million went to utilities with which Silver Spring has contracts. Kleiner Perkins and its partners, including Mr. Gore, could recoup their investment many times over in coming years.

Silver Spring Networks is a foot soldier in the global green energy revolution Mr. Gore hopes to lead. Few people have been as vocal about the urgency of global warming and the need to reinvent the way the world produces and consumes energy. And few have put as much money behind their advocacy as Mr. Gore and are as well positioned to profit from this green transformation, if and when it comes.

Critics, mostly on the political right and among global warming skeptics, say Mr. Gore is poised to become the world’s first “carbon billionaire,” profiteering from government policies he supports that would direct billions of dollars to the business ventures he has invested in.

Representative Marsha Blackburn, Republican of Tennessee, asserted at a hearing this year that Mr. Gore stood to benefit personally from the energy and climate policies he was urging Congress to adopt.

Mr. Gore says that he is simply putting his money where his mouth is.

“Do you think there is something wrong with being active in business in this country?” Mr. Gore said. “I am proud of it. I am proud of it.”

In an e-mail message this week, he said his investment activities were consistent with his public advocacy over decades.

“I have advocated policies to promote renewable energy and accelerate reductions in global warming pollution for decades, including all of the time I was in public service,” Mr. Gore wrote. “As a private citizen, I have continued to advocate the same policies. Even though the vast majority of my business career has been in areas that do not involve renewable energy or global warming pollution reductions, I absolutely believe in investing in ways that are consistent with my values and beliefs. I encourage others to invest in the same way.”

Mr. Gore has invested a significant portion of the tens of millions of dollars he has earned since leaving government in 2001 in a broad array of environmentally friendly energy and technology business ventures, like carbon trading markets, solar cells and waterless urinals.

He has also given away millions more to finance the nonprofit he founded, the Alliance for Climate Protection, and to another group, the Climate Project, which trains people to present the slide show that was the basis of his documentary “An Inconvenient Truth.” Royalties from his new book on climate change, “Our Choice,” printed on 100 percent recycled paper, will go to the alliance, an aide said.

Other public figures, like Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Robert F. Kennedy Jr., who have vocally supported government financing of energy-saving technologies, have investments in alternative energy ventures. Some scientists and policy advocates also promote energy policies that personally enrich them.

As a private citizen, Mr. Gore does not have to disclose his income or assets, as he did in his years in Congress and the White House. When he left government in early 2001, he listed assets of less than $2 million, including homes in suburban Washington and in Tennessee.

Since then, his net worth has skyrocketed, helped by timely investments in Apple and Google, profits from books and his movie, and scores of speeches for which he can be paid more than $100,000, although he often speaks at no charge.

He is a founder of Generation Investment Management, based in London and run by David Blood, a former head of Goldman Sachs Asset Management (the firm was quickly dubbed Blood and Gore). Mr. Gore earns a partner’s salary at Kleiner Perkins. He has substantial personal finances invested at both firms, officials of the companies said.

He also serves as an adviser to high-profile technology companies including Apple and Google, relationships that have paid him handsome dividends over the last eight years.

Mr. Gore’s spokeswoman would not give a figure for his current net worth, but the scale of his wealth is evident in a single investment of $35 million in Capricorn Investment Group, a private equity fund started by his friend Jeffrey Skoll, the first president of eBay.

Ion Yadigaroglu, a co-founder of Capricorn, said that Mr. Gore does not sit on the fund’s investment committee, but obviously agrees with the partners’ strategy of putting long-term money into promising ventures in energy, technology and health care around the globe.

“Aspirationally,” said Mr. Yadigaroglu, who holds a doctorate from Stanford in astrophysics, “we’re trying to make more money than others doing the same thing and do it in a way that is superior in ethics and impacts.”

Mr. Gore has said he invested in partnerships and funds that try to identify and support companies that are advancing cutting-edge green technologies and are paving the way toward a low-carbon economy.

He has a stake in the world’s pre-eminent carbon credit trading market and in an array of companies in bio-fuels, sustainable fish farming, electric vehicles and solar power.

Capricorn holds a major stake in Falcon Waterfree Technologies, the world’s leading maker of waterless urinals. Generation has holdings in Ausra, a solar energy company based in California, and Camco, a British firm that develops carbon dioxide emissions reduction projects. Kleiner Perkins has a green ventures fund with nearly $1 billion invested in renewable energy and efficiency concerns.

Mr. Gore also has substantial interests in technology, media and biotechnology ventures that have no direct tie to his environmental advocacy, an aide said.

Mr. Gore is not a lobbyist, and he has never asked Congress or the administration for an earmark or policy decision that would directly benefit one of his investments. But he has been a tireless advocate for policies that would move the country away from the use of coal and oil, and he has begun a $300 million campaign to end the use of fossil fuels in electricity production in 10 years.

But Marc Morano, a climate change skeptic who until recently was a top aide to Senator James M. Inhofe, Republican of Oklahoma, said that what he saw as Mr. Gore’s alarmism and occasional exaggerations distorted the debate and also served his personal financial interests.

Mr. Gore has testified numerous times in support of legislation to address climate change and to revamp the nation’s energy policies.

He appeared before the House Energy and Commerce Committee in April to support an energy and climate change bill that was intended to reduce global warming emissions through a cap-and-trade program for major polluting industries.

Mr. Gore, who shared the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize for his climate advocacy, is generally received on Capitol Hill as something of an oracle, at least by Democrats.

But at the hearing in April, he was challenged by Ms. Blackburn, who echoed some of the criticism of Mr. Gore that has swirled in conservative blogs and radio talk shows. She noted that Mr. Gore is a partner at Kleiner Perkins, which has hundreds of millions of dollars invested in firms that could benefit from any legislation that limits carbon dioxide emissions.

“I believe that the transition to a green economy is good for our economy and good for all of us, and I have invested in it,” Mr. Gore said, adding that he had put “every penny” he has made from his investments into the Alliance for Climate Protection.

“And, Congresswoman,” he added, “if you believe that the reason I have been working on this issue for 30 years is because of greed, you don’t know me
 
I think a lot of BASIC science is ignored that doesn't require citations. Particularly regarding the partitioning of CO2 in the carbon cycle. Not only is carbon an essential component to ALL life, it drives the food chain. The concept of a carbon cycle is that it's a cycle--it can't possibly be in a steady state all the time and when enviro-calamatists cry murder over +35 ppmv (385ppmv total) it ignores this essential cycle.

FACT: the residence time of atmospheric CO2 is approximately 4 years

FACT: low CO2 results in ecological stress because of lowering vegetation

FACT: CO2 partitions into water, soil, plants preferentially, and this is well defined and predictable using partition coefficients

FACT: carbon compounds are the most common compounds in the solar system--to control how these carbon compounds manifest is absurd (i.e. CO2)--CO2 is not a pollutant; without it life on Earth would cease to exist. Taxing it is like literally taxing the air we breathe.

FACT: CO2 is a trace gas in the atmosphere.

FACT: CO2 indoors is higher than outdoors by greater than 5x (>2000 ppmv) yet there is no respiratory side-effect

FACT: there is 3000 billion tonnes of CO2 in the atmosphere; this is about 0.001% of the total carbon in the atmospheric-ocean-continental crust budget. In comparison--oceans contain 39000 Billion tonnes carbon; continental crust contains 65000000 billion tonnes carbon; demonstrating carbon seqestration by oceans and rocks (limestone, dolomite). It's simple chemistry. Incidentally, the fixing of bicarbonate in oceans and the abundance of carbonate rocks is what would buffer any so-called acidification that the IPCC has mentioned.

FACT: volcanoes emit more CO2 than humans do each year--the IPCC doesn't include seamounts or mid-ocean ridges. THe mid-ocean ridge is a lineament of 64000 km of "volcanoes" that drive plate tectonics and CANNOT be ignored--they degass 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a years for billions of years; animals produce 25 times more CO2 than automobiles and industry.

FACT: it is true that some of the increase of atmospheric carbon in the last 150 years is due to human industry...however to ignore the carbon cycle is asinine

FACT: the hydrologic cycle drives climate much more than CO2; after 200ppmv CO2 in the atmosphere has absorbed the maximum infrared energy it can; this is why increases of CO2 in palaeoclimate records show no correlation with temperature. Water drives weathering; convection of evaporative cells drive 67% of the heat in the lower atmosphere. Radiation accounts for 8%. Condensation (again water) drives the remaining 25%: these are known as "Hadley Cells"

Oh, on a non-related note: the Maldives have been cited as evidence of rising ocean levels. The Maldives are atolls. Atolls are coral fields that grow on seamounts (submarine volcanoes) which have become dormant. Much like the Hawaiin island chain, as these volcanoe become dormant they undergo subsidence, and sink into the oceans--this is how corals can thicken into 1000m+ deposits (coral can't live below certain depths, basically having to live in the photic zone and below storm wavebase). When these atolls sink too rapidly they become a guyot (submerged atoll). So, the Maldives are sinking, not being inundated by rising ocean due to melting of the ice sheets. But the media chooses to NOT do their homework on this one. Subsidence can be exacerbated by urban load and use of aquifers.

Incidentally, England is also subsiding due to uplift of Scotland from loss of the Scotland icesheet about 10,000 years ago. Holland has been sinking for thousands of years giving rise to the defiant phrase "Drown or be Dutch!" New Orleans has been sinking due to petroleum extraction, aquifer extraction and urban loading for a long time now which exacerbated the effects of Hurricane Katrina.

Oh..my...i'm ranting.
 
I don't think you're right about volcanoes:

A short time ago (geologically speaking) the question "Which produces more CO2, volcanic or human activity?" would have been answered differently. Volcanoes would have tipped the scale. Now, human presence, activity, and the resultant production of CO2, through the burning of fossil fuels, have all climbed at an ever-increasing rate. On the other hand, looking back through the comparatively short duration of human history, volcanic activity has, with a few notable disturbances, remained relatively steady.

Volcanoes are still awesome, even though they don't produce CO2 at a rate that swamps the human signature, contributing to global warming. In fact, spectacular eruptions like that of Mount Pinatubo are demonstrated to contribute to global cooling through the injection of solar energy reflecting ash and other small particles."

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/volcanowatch/2007/07_02_15.html


While CO2 is necessary,and would normally contribute to increased plant growth and subsequent CO2 absorption, humans clear cutting rainforests and such may be upsetting the natural equilibrium. That is, plants cannot absorb the excess CO2 since we chop them all down and burn them.

As for oceans, increased sea surface temps. also mean less CO2 absorption.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/jan/12/sea-co2-climate-japan-environment


Overall surface salinity and the thermohaline conveyor seem to be debatable.
 
Last edited:
PUSSY DUMMY

Your WHORE doesnt C what Algore is doing to her?

Here is another WHORE (that doesnt) C


blinders.jpg
 
I don't think you're right about volcanoes:

A short time ago (geologically speaking) the question "Which produces more CO2, volcanic or human activity?" would have been answered differently. Volcanoes would have tipped the scale. Now, human presence, activity, and the resultant production of CO2, through the burning of fossil fuels, have all climbed at an ever-increasing rate. On the other hand, looking back through the comparatively short duration of human history, volcanic activity has, with a few notable disturbances, remained relatively steady.

Volcanoes are still awesome, even though they don't produce CO2 at a rate that swamps the human signature, contributing to global warming. In fact, spectacular eruptions like that of Mount Pinatubo are demonstrated to contribute to global cooling through the injection of solar energy reflecting ash and other small particles."

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/volcanowatch/2007/07_02_15.html


While CO2 is necessary,and would normally contribute to increased plant growth and subsequent CO2 absorption, humans clear cutting rainforests and such may be upsetting the natural equilibrium. That is, plants cannot absorb the excess CO2 since we chop them all down and burn them.

As for oceans, increased sea surface temps. also mean less CO2 absorption.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/jan/12/sea-co2-climate-japan-environment


Overall surface salinity and the thermohaline conveyor seem to be debatable.

Hi again 'fergy..

You're right that deforestation does affect CO2 absorption; actually more alarmingly it affects evapotranspiration. Not to the amount it affects the greenhouse balance, but it will affect the scale of droughts at the local scale. But the oceans are the largest carbon sink there is.

Pinatubo is an example of an explosive stratovolcano, and yes are spectacular. Actually it's relatively small also--the Valles Caldera is 21 km in diameter and is dormant; luckily for us. But even that is small compared to Yellowstone or the Deccan Plateau, whose eruptions would result in mass extinction. You are right about our volcanically quiescent period. However, having said that, climate models only account for aerial volcanoes--only 15% of volcanoes are like these, and are typically explosive, with the exception of shield volcanoes such as Hawaii. 85% of eruptions occur as basaltic eruptions forming mid-ocean ridge basalts, and other seamounts related to plume activity. These are not incorporated into IPCC models and have been understated as they erupt near-constantly, and drive plate tectonics.

As for salinity--local changes of 0.1 pH have been cited by some researches, however the total range in ocean pH is 0.3 (pH of 7.9 to 8.2) and thus fall in the range.

In order to double atmospheric CO2, an additional input of 51 times more CO2 than current levels needs to occur, simply because the carbon sinks that exist would sequester that much more. There is only enough petroleum reserves to have an additional input of 11 times more, which will take 300 years to extract.

http://www.warwickhughes.com/icecore/zjmar07.pdf
 
Hi again 'fergy..

You're right that deforestation does affect CO2 absorption; actually more alarmingly it affects evapotranspiration. Not to the amount it affects the greenhouse balance, but it will affect the scale of droughts at the local scale. But the oceans are the largest carbon sink there is.

Pinatubo is an example of an explosive stratovolcano, and yes are spectacular. Actually it's relatively small also--the Valles Caldera is 21 km in diameter and is dormant; luckily for us. But even that is small compared to Yellowstone or the Deccan Plateau, whose eruptions would result in mass extinction. You are right about our volcanically quiescent period. However, having said that, climate models only account for aerial volcanoes--only 15% of volcanoes are like these, and are typically explosive, with the exception of shield volcanoes such as Hawaii. 85% of eruptions occur as basaltic eruptions forming mid-ocean ridge basalts, and other seamounts related to plume activity. These are not incorporated into IPCC models and have been understated as they erupt near-constantly, and drive plate tectonics.

As for salinity--local changes of 0.1 pH have been cited by some researches, however the total range in ocean pH is 0.3 (pH of 7.9 to 8.2) and thus fall in the range.

In order to double atmospheric CO2, an additional input of 51 times more CO2 than current levels needs to occur, simply because the carbon sinks that exist would sequester that much more. There is only enough petroleum reserves to have an additional input of 11 times more, which will take 300 years to extract.

http://www.warwickhughes.com/icecore/zjmar07.pdf

Smart chicks turn me on. Apples, what's the story with Apples? You seem to have a grasp of the science beyond what most of us--me included--who post here have. And you seem to have much less agenda than the other "skeptics." What do you do? What's your background?
 
Smart chicks turn me on. Apples, what's the story with Apples? You seem to have a grasp of the science beyond what most of us--me included--who post here have. And you seem to have much less agenda than the other "skeptics." What do you do? What's your background?

Thank you P. I'm an environmental earth scientist. I consult for a firm basically; I'm kind of a 3rd party watchdog for industry and government. I enjoy staying on top of this debate and walks in the park :D
 
Thank you P. I'm an environmental earth scientist. I consult for a firm basically; I'm kind of a 3rd party watchdog for industry and government. I enjoy staying on top of this debate and walks in the park :D

How do you feel about pina coladas?
 
*takes notes*

So you seem to be on the skeptic side, yes? Can you give me a thumbnail?

I am on the skeptic side. Not for climate change; climate is by it's very nature, changing--the term "climate change" is redundant. Climate changes. I don't believe in human climate forcing at the global scale, or perhaps conservatively, that human forcing can exceed solar forcing, volcanic forcing, oceanic forcing, geoidal forcing (i.e. Milankovitch cycles) or cosmic forcing (planetary alignments, supernovae, etc.). I join in as an apolitical observer. My office just happens to have access to lots of journals that I like to leaf through. I'm not smart by any means...but I like science.
 
I am on the skeptic side. Not for climate change; climate is by it's very nature, changing--the term "climate change" is redundant. Climate changes. I don't believe in human climate forcing at the global scale, or perhaps conservatively, that human forcing can exceed solar forcing, volcanic forcing, oceanic forcing, geoidal forcing (i.e. Milankovitch cycles) or cosmic forcing (planetary alignments, supernovae, etc.). I join in as an apolitical observer. My office just happens to have access to lots of journals that I like to leaf through. I'm not smart by any means...but I like science.

*chuckle* Deja vu.

Ishmael
 
I am on the skeptic side. Not for climate change; climate is by it's very nature, changing--the term "climate change" is redundant. Climate changes. I don't believe in human climate forcing at the global scale, or perhaps conservatively, that human forcing can exceed solar forcing, volcanic forcing, oceanic forcing, geoidal forcing (i.e. Milankovitch cycles) or cosmic forcing (planetary alignments, supernovae, etc.). I join in as an apolitical observer. My office just happens to have access to lots of journals that I like to leaf through. I'm not smart by any means...but I like science.

Fair enough, thanks.
 
Fair enough, thanks.

You're very welcome :) I should add that non-skeptics are hurt more by bad science (e.g. Mann) and non-disciplinary scientific bias (e.g. biologists concluding changes in animal populations are due to climate change, which is just an assumption, not a conclusion). Environmentalists should demand more rigour; if skeptics are open-minded about it, then they'll accept conclusions from true hard science that proves otherwise.
 
You're very welcome :) I should add that non-skeptics are hurt more by bad science (e.g. Mann) and non-disciplinary scientific bias (e.g. biologists concluding changes in animal populations are due to climate change, which is just an assumption, not a conclusion). Environmentalists should demand more rigour; if skeptics are open-minded about it, then they'll accept conclusions from true hard science that proves otherwise.

I agree with this. It doesn't work that way here, though. Here at Lit, people who get their science from Pravda and The Economist and whatever crackbrained blog they like are just as valid. These are also some of the same people who will tell you that all scientists lie for money and all environmentalists are communists. It gets old.

I'm not sure which biologists you're talking about, but there's some obvious stuff going on, like the pikas being marooned.
 
Gee PUSSY DUMMY

When an ATTRACTIVE

WHORE

says what we say

Thats COOL and INTERESTING and WORTH CONSIDERING

When we say it

we are morons:rolleyes:

So, I'll flash PUSSY and then you will believe?

:rolleyes:

You're an insulting asshole who doesn't know shit about science. Fuck off.
 
You're an insulting asshole who doesn't know shit about science. Fuck off.

Insulting?

Really?

WHY?

cause I called your "wife" what she is

a


WHORE????????????


Yet YOU arent insulting when you called ANOTHER woman a WHORE?

IGGY ME!

I dare YOU

IGGY ME!

Your loss

But remeber

You are a PUSSY DUMMY!

PS, I hope you are happy making Algore a billionaire!:)
 
Al Gore: Making a bundle form global warming


The New York Times looks today at all the millions that Al Gore has made and stands to make from advocating his policies against global warming.

Few people have been as vocal about the urgency of global warming and the need to reinvent the way the world produces and consumes energy. And few have put as much money behind their advocacy as Mr. Gore and are as well positioned to profit from this green transformation, if and when it comes.

Critics, mostly on the political right and among global warming skeptics, say Mr. Gore is poised to become the world’s first “carbon billionaire,” profiteering from government policies he supports that would direct billions of dollars to the business ventures he has invested in.

Gore argues that he's just putting his money where his mouth is. And he's not the only one.

Other public figures, like Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Robert F. Kennedy Jr., who have vocally supported government financing of energy-saving technologies, have investments in alternative energy ventures.:mad: Some scientists and policy advocates also promote energy policies that personally enrich them.:mad:

BUT, You fucking HIPPO LOSER CREEPS, THINK ABOUT THIS

That's fine. Americans believe in enterprise. However, imagine if a prominent Republican politician were advocating policies that would be good for the oil industry while standing to make millions off his own investments in that industry. Every single story would highlight that conflict of interest. It's time that every story about Al Gore's lobbying for green technology should also mention the money he is making and stands to make for the policies he's advocating.
 
Insulting?

Really?

WHY?

cause I called your "wife" what she is

a


WHORE????????????


Yet YOU arent insulting when you called ANOTHER woman a WHORE?

IGGY ME!

I dare YOU

IGGY ME!

Your loss

But remeber

You are a PUSSY DUMMY!

PS, I hope you are happy making Algore a billionaire!:)

What does your wife do for a living?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top