Another inconvenient truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ham Murabi

Plumbing the Depths
Al Gore’s Personal Energy Use Is His Own “Inconvenient Truth”
Gore’s home uses more than 20 times the national average

Last night, Al Gore’s global-warming documentary, An Inconvenient Truth, collected an Oscar for best documentary feature, but the Tennessee Center for Policy Research has found that Gore deserves a gold statue for hypocrisy.

Gore’s mansion, located in the posh Belle Meade area of Nashville, consumes more electricity every month than the average American household uses in an entire year, according to the Nashville Electric Service (NES).

In his documentary, the former Vice President calls on Americans to conserve energy by reducing electricity consumption at home.

The average household in America consumes 10,656 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per year, according to the Department of Energy. In 2006, Gore devoured nearly 221,000 kWh—more than 20 times the national average.

Last August alone, Gore burned through 22,619 kWh—guzzling more than twice the electricity in one month than an average American family uses in an entire year. As a result of his energy consumption, Gore’s average monthly electric bill topped $1,359.

Since the release of An Inconvenient Truth, Gore’s energy consumption has increased from an average of 16,200 kWh per month in 2005, to 18,400 kWh per month in 2006.

Gore’s extravagant energy use does not stop at his electric bill. Natural gas bills for Gore’s mansion and guest house averaged $1,080 per month last year.

“As the spokesman of choice for the global warming movement, Al Gore has to be willing to walk the walk, not just talk the talk, when it comes to home energy use,” said Tennessee Center for Policy Research President Drew Johnson.

In total, Gore paid nearly $30,000 in combined electricity and natural gas bills for his Nashville estate in 2006.

###

The Tennessee Center for Policy Research is an independent, nonprofit and nonpartisan research organization committed to achieving a freer, more prosperous Tennessee through free market policy solutions.

Mansions use more electricty than the average home. Got it. Thanks for the info.

Two bedroom bungalows don't use that much unless you have a hydroponics operation in the basement.

I heard this morning that he buys his electricity from some energy friendly co-op where it is all recyled? I have no idea what that means.

He could, of course, be offsetting. Even so, that's a hell of a lot of energy they're using. Is it solely a domestic residence?

Gore is preparing to offer a "do as I say and not as I do" explanation on Fox News.

crazybbwgirl said:
I heard this morning that he buys his electricity from some energy friendly co-op where it is all recyled? I have no idea what that means.

There are companies that provide 100% of their electricity from renewables. Is that what you might be thinking of?

The Mutt said:
Mansions use more electricty than the average home. Got it. Thanks for the info.

I agree. No point in Gore doing his part for global warming.

smartandsexy said:
There are companies that provide 100% of their electricity from renewables. Is that what you might be thinking of?

I just caught a brief snipet this morning on CNN - but yeah - that might have been it.

Problem is, even if you want to be the most responsible energy conserver in the world - there are not enough options out there. Shit - I can't even decide on paper or plastic?!?! :confused:

He should paint his mansion green. That way, people will leave him alone.

Ham Murabi said:
I agree. No point in Gore doing his part for global warming.

Maybe we an put up some wind generators on Gore's estate and use Ham as a power source. Not only should that get rid of the power consumption but there would be excess to put back into the grid.

JBCorbell said:
Maybe we an put up some wind generators on Gore's estate and use Ham as a power source. Not only should that get rid of the power consumption but there would be excess to put back into the grid.

Some people don't like it when their heroes turn out to be hypocrites.

Ham Murabi said:
Al Gore’s Personal Energy Use Is His Own “Inconvenient Truth”
Gore’s home uses more than 20 times the national average

Last night, Al Gore’s global-warming documentary, An Inconvenient Truth, collected an Oscar for best documentary feature, but the Tennessee Center for Policy Research has found that Gore deserves a gold statue for hypocrisy.

Gore’s mansion, located in the posh Belle Meade area of Nashville, consumes more electricity every month than the average American household uses in an entire year, according to the Nashville Electric Service (NES).

In his documentary, the former Vice President calls on Americans to conserve energy by reducing electricity consumption at home.

The average household in America consumes 10,656 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per year, according to the Department of Energy. In 2006, Gore devoured nearly 221,000 kWh—more than 20 times the national average.

Last August alone, Gore burned through 22,619 kWh—guzzling more than twice the electricity in one month than an average American family uses in an entire year. As a result of his energy consumption, Gore’s average monthly electric bill topped $1,359.

Since the release of An Inconvenient Truth, Gore’s energy consumption has increased from an average of 16,200 kWh per month in 2005, to 18,400 kWh per month in 2006.

Gore’s extravagant energy use does not stop at his electric bill. Natural gas bills for Gore’s mansion and guest house averaged $1,080 per month last year.

“As the spokesman of choice for the global warming movement, Al Gore has to be willing to walk the walk, not just talk the talk, when it comes to home energy use,” said Tennessee Center for Policy Research President Drew Johnson.

In total, Gore paid nearly $30,000 in combined electricity and natural gas bills for his Nashville estate in 2006.

###

The Tennessee Center for Policy Research is an independent, nonprofit and nonpartisan research organization committed to achieving a freer, more prosperous Tennessee through free market policy solutions.

How would they have obtained this information? He is not in public office and his bills are private.

Ham Murabi said:
Some people don't like it when their heroes turn out to be hypocrites.

Not my hero. I do have a dislike, however, for self-righteous people who love to tear everyone else down,

KravMaga said:
How would they have obtained this information? He is not in public office and his bills are private.

When there are people looking for dirt, you would be surprised what kind of info can be dug up.

Joaquin1975 said:
When there are people looking for dirt, you would be surprised what kind of info can be dug up.

I ain't buying it. Let's really look at this:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/GlobalWarming/story?id=2906888&page=1

Kalee Kreider, a spokesperson for the Gores, did not dispute the Center's figures, taken as they were from public records. But she pointed out that both Al and Tipper Gore work out of their home and she argued that "the bottom line is that every family has a different carbon footprint. And what Vice President Gore has asked is for families to calculate that footprint and take steps to reduce and offset it."

A carbon footprint is a calculation of the CO2 fossil fuel emissions each person is responsible for, either directly because of his or her transportation and energy consumption or indirectly because of the manufacture and eventual breakdown of products he or she uses. (You can calculate your own carbon footprint on the website http://www.carbonfootprint.com/)

The vice president has done that, Kreider argues, and the family tries to offset that carbon footprint by purchasing their power through the local Green Power Switch program — electricity generated through renewable resources such as solar, wind, and methane gas, which create less waste and pollution. "In addition, they are in the midst of installing solar panels on their home, which will enable them to use less power," Kreider added. "They also use compact fluorescent bulbs and other energy efficiency measures and then they purchase offsets for their carbon emissions to bring their carbon footprint down to zero."

KRCummings said:

Kalee Kreider, a spokesperson for the Gores, did not dispute the Center's figures, taken as they were from public records. But she pointed out that both Al and Tipper Gore work out of their home and she argued that "the bottom line is that every family has a different carbon footprint. And what Vice President Gore has asked is for families to calculate that footprint and take steps to reduce and offset it."

A carbon footprint is a calculation of the CO2 fossil fuel emissions each person is responsible for, either directly because of his or her transportation and energy consumption or indirectly because of the manufacture and eventual breakdown of products he or she uses. (You can calculate your own carbon footprint on the website http://www.carbonfootprint.com/)

The vice president has done that, Kreider argues, and the family tries to offset that carbon footprint by purchasing their power through the local Green Power Switch program — electricity generated through renewable resources such as solar, wind, and methane gas, which create less waste and pollution. "In addition, they are in the midst of installing solar panels on their home, which will enable them to use less power," Kreider added. "They also use compact fluorescent bulbs and other energy efficiency measures and then they purchase offsets for their carbon emissions to bring their carbon footprint down to zero."
tyvm.

JBCorbell said:
Not my hero. I do have a dislike, however, for self-righteous people who love to tear everyone else down,

That's the nature of politics. Another example of that was an activist named Laurie David who stopped people driving SUV's to confront them, then it came to find out she flies a private jet which consumes more energy than like 1000 SUV's or something.

I guess Bernard Golberg did not care for her too much, because she was listed as one of the people screwing up America.

KravMaga said:
I ain't buying it. Let's really look at this:

Then it turns to be anything but nonpartisan.

JBCorbell said:

Depending on your definition, some might think Al Gore is self-righteous.

KRCummings said:

I'm relieved that Gore is finally going to get around to checking out his own "carbon footprint" after preaching at us for years about it.
As for his own energy consumption, if he's sucking up "green" doesn't that leave less for everyone else, or is green energy infinite?

The Mutt said:
Most people who live in mansions do so quietly - without telling me that I have to reduce MY energy consumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back