old timers time to go

neci

flagged
i was going to post this in the blurts but decided a new thread would do.

i had some shitty respiratory shit about a month ago. kicked my ass. i think my biggest dying fear is going with breathing difficulties. gasping and turning purple. out of all the ways to go that one haunts me. you get some long term illness, then it’s the allergies that kick you in the ass.

do you have a fear of dying? do you welcome it? if you say you plan on dying mid orgasm, you get blocked on being a thoughtless bastard.

I have a love-hate relationship with water. I've had a few close calls and they scared the hell out of me. Yet, I'll still do whitewater river trips.

Dying is down the road for me. Just not in water.

I have a love-hate relationship with water. I've had a few close calls and they scared the hell out of me. Yet, I'll still do whitewater river trips.

David Dunn, is that you?

i was going to post this in the blurts but decided a new thread would do.

i had some shitty respiratory shit about a month ago. kicked my ass. i think my biggest dying fear is going with breathing difficulties. gasping and turning purple. out of all the ways to go that one haunts me. you get some long term illness, then it’s the allergies that kick you in the ass.

do you have a fear of dying? do you welcome it? if you say you plan on dying mid orgasm, you get blocked on being a thoughtless bastard.
I don’t really fear it, probably because I was so close.

In ‘98, during my 8th angioplasty in 8 years, I had a full cardiac arrest. My only memory of that event was my cardiologist saying, “hang in there, Bill, we’ll get you through this…”. I woke up three days later after the ventilation assist was withdrawn as they brought me out of an induced coma. Recovery from that was a somewhat long and painful journey. That evening after the cardiac arrest, my wife was informed that the cath lab team had done CPR for 50 minutes prior to my care being transferred to an open heart surgical team. That doctor did an emergency 5-way bypass, but he estimated my chance of survival at 50/50…for three days. The surgeon and cardiologist said if I survived longer, that there was a likelihood of a 90% chance of permanent brain damage from the extended period of CPR.

Obviously, I made it past those critical three days. Jury is still out on the brain damage aspect…lol.

Returning to the original question. I just turned 76 a couple of weeks ago, and have had an “extra” 26 years of life, largely thanks to some excellent medical care…and a healthy dose of luck. My cardiologist, with a warm sense of humor, referred to me as a ‘one-percenter’. In those intervening years I’ve made it a goal to enjoy my second life. And, now I’m recovering from my second tussle with cancer.

So, I don’t fear death, but know it could be just around the corner. Sure as hell don’t look forward to the end. Just going to keep enjoying every single day I can, as long as I can.

And please, no comments about it must be “God’s plan”. I’m not a believer in all of that…

Cheers!

a white water river trip sounds amazing right now. you will find me in a helmet. for some reason i’ve seen a lot of trapped under ice videos lately. maybe not a lot, but enough to make an impression.

I don’t really fear it, probably because I was so close.

In ‘98, during my 8th angioplasty in 8 years, I had a full cardiac arrest. My only memory of that event was my cardiologist saying, “hang in there, Bill, we’ll get you through this…”. I woke up three days later after the ventilation assist was withdrawn as they brought me out of an induced coma. Recovery from that was a somewhat long and painful journey. That evening after the cardiac arrest, my wife was informed that the cath lab team had done CPR for 50 minutes prior to my care being transferred to an open heart surgical team. That doctor did an emergency 5-way bypass, but he estimated my chance of survival at 50/50…for three days. The surgeon and cardiologist said if I survived longer, that there was a likelihood of a 90% chance of permanent brain damage from the extended period of CPR.

Obviously, I made it past those critical three days. Jury is still out on the brain damage aspect…lol.

Returning to the original question. I just turned 76 a couple of weeks ago, and have had an “extra” 26 years of life, largely thanks to some excellent medical care…and a healthy dose of luck. My cardiologist, with a warm sense of humor, referred to me as a ‘one-percenter’. In those intervening years I’ve made it a goal to enjoy my second life. And, now I’m recovering from my second tussle with cancer.

So, I don’t fear death, but know it could be just around the corner. Sure as hell don’t look forward to the end. Just going to keep enjoying every single day I can, as long as I can.

And please, no comments about it must be “God’s plan”. I’m not a believer in all of that…

Cheers!
the brain is amazing in its ability to make due and rewire itself. did the close call(s) with death lead to any changes in your life or did you continue on status quo? after my dad’s heart attack and subsequent surgeries (years ago), he changed his lifestyle pretty drastically. no red meat, more fish, more time in the garden.

My greatest fear is something crippling, debilitating, almost paralyzing where you can't do anything for yourself and need constant care. Loss of independence and mobility would be far worse than death.
i agree 100%. my grandmother was locked into her body after a series of strokes in her 90s. eventually she stopped eating and her body gave in. she was looking forward to death, and before the last stroke i talked to her and she told me how excited she was about passing on and getting a new body. i don’t know about the new body and reincarnation, but it gave her peace.

i agree 100%. my grandmother was locked into her body after a series of strokes in her 90s. eventually she stopped eating and her body gave in. she was looking forward to death, and before the last stroke i talked to her and she told me how excited she was about passing on and getting a new body. i don’t know about the new body and reincarnation, but it gave her peace.
I remember a discussion about death with my grandma. She was confused about why she was still alive and her husband (10 year younger) and one daughter (my mom) had passed away. She had no purpose in life.

the brain is amazing in its ability to make due and rewire itself. did the close call(s) with death lead to any changes in your life or did you continue on status quo? after my dad’s heart attack and subsequent surgeries (years ago), he changed his lifestyle pretty drastically. no red meat, more fish, more time in the garden.
The only major change in my life was early retirement. After a few months of recovery I made it back to full time work. That lasted for about a year until some symptoms started to return. Took a disability retirement at age 51, and escaped a high pressure job. After my retirement four people were hired or reassigned to assume my responsibilities. I have a more healthy diet, and get a little more exercise, but getting away from that high stress job is what saved my life.

While not a fear, I sure as hell don't want to "go" through any respiratory/suffocating means. Those are the big ones I'd like to stay away from as a means of meeting my maker.

No fear by all means. We're all going to go thru it in one shape or form and that's a guarantee. There's good days that I don't think about dying but there's also been bad days when I do think about it and just ask myself " when " 🙄???

It's definitely a sooner rather than later type of thing and can't help but think that I've lived the majority of my life and why couldn't I had done better with it?? Oh well ....... such is life so to speak?

Not sure if I fear death as much as I fear the unknown. I had a span of time, (32-41) where I was drinking myself to death. I knew it was happening, I could feel it in my body and hear the warnings from doctors, friends and family. I thought about death a lot during those last 2 years. It was a tipping point, stop now and recover, or keep going and be dead by Christmas. As crazy as it sounds, it actually took a "miracle" for me to make that decision. It was tough. I thought a lot about how I would die, what would happen after, how my kids would take it, what my wives life would be with me gone? What I ultimately found, was I did not fear dying, I feared the what ifs. Unintended consequences. Not only for my family, but for me as well. What happens when you die?

I guess, t's the only thing we can not know, until we expire. Does everything begin again, like a Playlist on repeat, does it go black, do we become entities that roam the universe? Who knows? That's what I feared, I needed to stay alive to find the answers to questions that have no answers.

Since that time, since I've made my choice, I don't think about death much. I know it will happen, but it will come when it comes and I have no control. My time isn't up yet, but that clock, never stops ticking...

I went in for my annual cardiac health checkup in February of 2018 and discovered that I was having a heart attack at that very moment, though I felt fine. They rushed me into the ER then the OR to have an angiogram done to look for blockages. I then coded and it took 5 hits with the paddles to shock my heart into beating again. Later that night I was visited and called by concerned friends and my cardiologist. I was in a stupendously good mood, laughing and joking so much that I had to be shushed by the ICU nurses LOL. But after all that, I'm not really afraid of dying, though I think I'd probably just prefer to go in my sleep. I've actually begun preparing for my inevitable shuffling off of my mortal coil so that my family won't have too much hassle settling my meager estate.

Indeed, death by fire does not seem appetizing. Although, fire after death seems like a smart thing to do.
I hope that doesn’t have anything to do with the brisket ;)

My greatest fear is something crippling, debilitating, almost paralyzing where you can't do anything for yourself and need constant care. Loss of independence and mobility would be far worse than death.

That Metallica video,…”One”.

*shivers*

😳

I will be SOOOOooo pissed off if I wake up and find out I'd gone over and some asswipe brought me back.

I don’t fear it. I don’t give the thought and worry any of my time.
I see death almost daily in my profession. Sometimes I fight it off. Sometimes I help people welcome it. I’ve saw it in all the ways that it comes.
A few years ago I came very close myself. My memories are foggy but I am told that I saw the reaper himself walking beside me. Or so I told someone as certain events were happening to me. I joke that he’s came for me a few times now but so far I’ve avoided him. The big shit that I went through didn’t get me. It’ll be something small and stupid like tripping over my own feet one day.

My children are grown and have become responsible adults, which is the best parenting outcome possible. If I get hit by an asteroid tomorrow, I'll die not owing any money to anyone. I hope everyone has a good time at my funeral.

Have a fear of dying?
No.
A little over a year ago i had Covid... not quite medium bad. I thought I came thru it with little or no damage.
Seems i was not entirely correct.
I have some scaring on my lungs and wheeze sometimes...an inhaler helps.
I get sicker easier and don't have as much stamina to get through a long day as I did.

Hell, i just do not feel good a good bit of the time.

They should hunt down that Bastard that let it get loose and...

Back