Hoping to Ask a Wheat Farmer a Few Questions

For the record, I do have a drum of farmer-strength Roundup® in the shed to weed-out all the puns.

It's all grist to the mill, though. I think you all need to put your noses to the grindstone, and find a farmer to answer the poor OP's questions.

Quick update: someone responded via PM and we've been discussing my questions. All thanks to your puns.

That said, please still PM me if you have experience wheat farming. I'll gladly take all the help I can get. I'd hate for this thread to go to seed.

Quick update: someone responded via PM and we've been discussing my questions. All thanks to your puns.

That said, please still PM me if you have experience wheat farming. I'll gladly take all the help I can get. I'd hate for this thread to go to seed.

Glad you got some meaningful responses to your questions, and glad you put up with all the silliness.

I was honestly just curious about the FAQ regarding wheat farming 😞

Same here. I would have liked to hear others' perspectives and had my knowledge gaps filled. I have a farmer friend should I seek enlightenment, but I don't see him until June. He mostly does the soybean/corn rotation which is standard in our area, but I'll bet he's a wealth of information on winter wheat, frequently used here as a cover crop rotated against late soybeans.

43ae91381fb2d5af117ea80318d1a47a815491bc.gif

What I know about winter wheat is simple, you plant it in the ground in the fall. It grows through winter, often with cattle allowed to feed on it, and sometime between early May and Early July, you harvest it, depending on where you are. It matures from south to north over a little more than two months. Migrant workers follow the ripping wheat to make a living—generally, Kansas harvests between early to mid-June.

Apologies in advance for yet another wheat farming thread. If you've harvested wheat or are familiar with the process and would be willing to answer a few questions, please send me a private message.

I'm working on a story set in Kansas during harvest season for winter wheat. I've done some research, but I'd also like to chat with someone who knows what they're talking about so that I can make it seem like I know what I'M talking about. :)

I'd be grateful for your help and happy to credit you in an Author's Note.
My brother in law is a farmer and some of that rubbed off on me. I would drive combine for him during winter wheat harvest.

I have sent a PM to the OP. I literally grew up farming wheat and hay, continuing until I got married and moved away. AND I have lived in Kansas my entire life.

Maybe he's writing my story....

I have sent a PM to the OP. I literally grew up farming wheat and hay, continuing until I got married and moved away. AND I have lived in Kansas my entire life.

You're the third person who has been kind enough to reach out to me. Thank you! I'll reply to your PM in the morning. I'm grateful people have been so willing to share some of their time and knowledge with me. I'll do my best to make good use of it.

Fortunate that this thread wasn't about sowing and harvesting one's Oats.

Um, maybe he is, but don't you want him to get it right if he is?

Back