A few questions from a new author

Hello all!

Although it's apparently been over four years since I meant to try my hand at writing erotica, judging from the account creation date, I'm now finally getting started. And yes, I've read through the various FAQs and new writer tips, which were helpful. However, I could still use some help figuring out a few things about my first story ideas.

Right now I'm planning on starting out with a multipart story, basically following the main character through a series of experiences as she learns about/explores sex. However, it's not really intended to necessarily be something that everyone reads all of; it won't be plot-heavy enough to be an issue if, say, chapter 4 is about lesbian sex and a reader would rather skip to chapter 5 for anal (or whatever they end up being). Each "chapter" (I'd rather call the individual bits stories, but then what do I call the whole?) will hopefully be able to stand more or less alone, without cliffhangers or the like. I figured this would be a nice starting point because it's flexible enough that I'll be able to explore a variety of topics while I get my toes wet, but I also won't have to necessarily commit to a long project if/when it stops being interesting to me or when life next explodes. It does leave me with a few dilemmas, though.

1. How should I handle the naming? I have an overall series title picked out that seems not to have been used on Lit yet. I'm leaning towards something like "Series Title: Chapter Title." But what about the first entry: should it just be "Series Title?" "Series Title: The Beginning" or something else equally obvious for new readers to find once there are multiple entries (or can I trust people to just get it from the publication dates)?

2. Should the chapters be numbered? On the one hand, it's a nice obvious reading order. On the other hand, it feels like having Series Title, Chapter Title, and a number all in the title is clunky and overdoing it. I'd rather not give up the chapter titles. And since the order shouldn't matter too much, and anyone looking at my author profile can see them all listed with the publication dates (you know, once they exist...), the numbers feel a bit superfluous? I guess I'm assuming that readers will either have started with the first one and kept reading as they come out, or they'll start at whatever the most recent chapter posted is, see that it's a series (I'll include a note to that effect, I think, at the beginning of subsequent chapters), and then if interested go to the author profile. But I have no idea how accurate that assumption is.

3. Categories: wtf? Sorry, that's not a very specific question. Here's my concern. On the one hand, while I'm sure at least some of the chapters would be generic Erotic Couplings material, a lot of them will be more specifically targeted: her first time, her first experience with another woman, her first threesome, etc. Is it a problem for a series to be spread out over multiple categories, or would it be best to keep the entire series together in Erotic Couplings? I can see arguments and advantages for both. I'm especially concerned about what to do with the first chapter. Yes, there's generic two-person cishet sex; however, the main character is only watching from a hiding place, so it seems like it would best fit in Exhibitionism/Voyeur. On the other hand, it's done primarily with the intent of educating the main character, not specifically for the "voyeur experience" or whatever you call it, so I don't know if it really fits in that category. I'm also concerned about limiting the readership by putting the first chapter in a category that gets (I would imagine) significantly less traffic/fewer readers than Erotic Couplings does, or about raising expectations by people who expect the whole series to be E/V stuff because that's how the first chapter is categorized.

I realize I'm probably overthinking the hell out of all of this. I usually do, and even more so when jumping into a new area. Thanks in advance for your help!
You'll receive very good advice from other experienced authors here.

But in my own limited experience doing the same thing as you plan (with my "Lifestyle" series):
1. Choose the Series title with the fewest letters, because there's a limit to the total number of characters in the title. A long Series title means fewer letters left for the chapter title.
2. Numbering allows sequencing the chapters in the series, but also reduces the letters left for the chapter title. ie. My "Lifestyle Ch. 11: _____" series left me with reducing the chapter title from "Demons from the Past" or other options to merely "Demons Past".
3. My first four chapters of the series were ALL posted to Erotic Couplings and went from 6K views to 2.7K views, then 2.2K views and finally to 5K views! The main change in that final chapter was the description, which was more erotically suggestive. So, my advice is focus on the titles and descriptions with erotic words, and do NOT try being too subtle.

It's supposed to be about someone learning about lesbian sex, so it sounds like there could be some kind of natural progression. If the main character is already experienced, then she might try new things in an arbitrary manner - when the opportunity arises, I mean. I don't know, there are different ways to handle it.

"Goes Groupie," - you mean with a celebrity? That sounds more advanced, although I haven't read much about female celebrities with female fans. The closest thing I know is quite old, and it is implied in Patti Smith's version of "Gloria."
I don’t know. I was just suggesting using the character’s name in each title with a “clever” description of whatever she was supposed to “learn” in that episode instead of using chapter labels. They were just examples to better explain what I meant. 😁🐝

"Goes Groupie," - you mean with a celebrity? That sounds more advanced, although I haven't read much about female celebrities with female fans. The closest thing I know is quite old, and it is implied in Patti Smith's version of "Gloria."

I've been kicking around the idea of a story about an all female rock band. If I do, it would definitely include a few encounters with sapphic fans

BTW, There is a live version of Redondo Beach, in which Patti explicitly introduces the song as being about "women loving other women."

I don’t know. I was just suggesting using the character’s name in each title with a “clever” description of whatever she was supposed to “learn” in that episode instead of using chapter labels. They were just examples to better explain what I meant. 😁🐝
My original idea for The Adventures of Ranger Ramona was to write a number of stand alones with alliterative titles, such as "Ranger Ramona and the Horny Hiker" and "Ranger Ramona and the Lesbian Lumberjack."

My original idea for The Adventures of Ranger Ramona was to write a number of stand alones with alliterative titles, such as "Ranger Ramona and the Horny Hiker" and "Ranger Ramona and the Lesbian Lumberjack."
Yeah, something like that. That way you avoid the “not reading chapter 5 first” reaction, And those who like what you are doing will catch on and come back.

I kind of got that; I took it a little too literally perhaps.

I've been kicking around the idea of a story about an all female rock band. If I do, it would definitely include a few encounters with sapphic fans

BTW, There is a live version of Redondo Beach, in which Patti explicitly introduces the song as being about "women loving other women."
I'm not even sure who wrote the first version of Gloria, but it's often attributed to Van Morrison. Patti Smith added a lot of new lyrics and flipped the gender of the narrator to also be a woman. The narrator also may be a version of Smith herself, because she is singing at a concert at one point. "I was at the stadium, there were twenty thousand girls called their names out to me, Marie and Ruth but to tell you the truth, I didn't hear them I didn't see." She is implying that they are interested in her on an infatuated/romantic/sexual level, although of course with that many people she can't know the motives of each of them. But she definitely says she is only interested in Gloria, whom she will be seeing later.

The first thing that comes to mind about a female rock band is the movie The Runaways, which uses Joan Jett as the inspiration - well, she and the other band members are named in it at least.

I'm not even sure who wrote the first version of Gloria, but it's often attributed to Van Morrison. Patti Smith added a lot of new lyrics and flipped the gender of the narrator to also be a woman. The narrator also may be a version of Smith herself, because she is singing at a concert at one point. "I was at the stadium, there were twenty thousand girls called their names out to me, Marie and Ruth but to tell you the truth, I didn't hear them I didn't see." She is implying that they are interested in her on an infatuated/romantic/sexual level, although of course with that many people she can't know the motives of each of them. But she definitely says she is only interested in Gloria, whom she will be seeing later.

The first thing that comes to mind about a female rock band is the movie The Runaways, which uses Joan Jett as the inspiration - well, she and the other band members are named in it at least.
Yes - written by Van Morrison, first recorded by his band, Them, in 1964.

No! Is that for real? Where can i read about that? I love honeybees.

I would recommend Stephen Fry's Mythos, which is a delightfully entertaining retelling of the Greek myths.

There are a couple of versions of Melissa, in some she was a princess who discovered honey, and was turned into a bee.

My favorite is that for their wedding feast, Zeus and Hera declared a contest. Whoever brought the finest dish to the feast could ask Zeus for one favor. All the gods and goddesses, the nymphs and the dryads and all the forest creatures brought their delicacies, but when they had all been tasted, it was adjudged that the finest food was a simple jar of honey.

So, Melissa the bee told Zeus that she wanted a great weapon, to keep all the other creatures from stealing her honey, and that is how the bees got their sting.

I would recommend Stephen Fry's Mythos, which is a delightfully entertaining retelling of the Greek myths.

There are a couple of versions of Melissa, in some she was a princess who discovered honey, and was turned into a bee.

My favorite is that for their wedding feast, Zeus and Hera declared a contest. Whoever brought the finest dish to the feast could ask Zeus for one favor. All the gods and goddesses, the nymphs and the dryads and all the forest creatures brought their delicacies, but when they had all been tasted, it was adjudged that the finest food was a simple jar of honey.

So, Melissa the bee told Zeus that she wanted a great weapon, to keep all the other creatures from stealing her honey, and that is how the bees got their sting.
Name checks out: as you probably already know Greek "méli-" means sweet. Hence "caramel", "mellifluous", and "diabetes mellitus".

I love it! Thanks!❤️🐝 I love honeybees. They are pretty, useful (essential, in fact), smart, and gentle. The only way you get stung is if you step on one or mess with its home.

I love it! Thanks!❤️🐝 I love honeybees. They are pretty, useful (essential, in fact), smart, and gentle. The only way you get stung is if you step on one or mess with its home.
Or drink from a can of passiona into which the poor bee has fallen, thus discovering that my small son was allergic to bee stings.

I love Patti so much. “Horses” plays in the background during the first sex scene in “Juxtapositions”.
I saw Patti Smith in concert years ago, touring with Bob Dylan.

Dylan phoned it in, a complete waste of time. Patti gave us her guts and her heart - she's a stand-out musician, without doubt.

Also, Robert Mapplethorpe. Her autobiography, We Were Just Kids, is a wonderful tribute and a wonderful read.

Dylan phoned it in, a complete waste of time. Patti gave us her guts and her heart - she's a stand-out musician, without doubt.

Also, Robert Mapplethorpe. Her autobiography, We Were Just Kids, is a wonderful tribute and a wonderful read.

Patti Smith played Glastonbury at the end of the 90's in one of the smaller tents. The previous act we saw was at the other end of the venue so we ended up getting there about 5 minutes late and the tent was absolutely packed and we had to stand well outside. Technically I've never actually 'seen' Patti but it was still the most electric concert I've ever attended.

I saw Dylan at the Birmingham Arena about a decade ago. Funny thing is, while I didn't feel he phoned it in at the time and am glad I got the opportunity to see him, I actually can't remember a single thing about the concert. I mean I literally can't name with certainty any one song he played that night.

I’ve seen her twice. The first time was in the late 90s in Chicago. She was phenomenal. Brought the hose down. And the opener was Jeff Tweedy from Uncle Tupelo & Wilco, doing what I’m pretty sure was his first ever solo acoustic gig.

The second time was in Melbourne maybe 5 years ago. 20 years later she hadn’t lost an ounce of presence or intensity. Courtney Barnett opened, and Patti brought her onstage for “People Have the Power”. Hell of a gig.

I’ve seen her twice. The first time was in the late 90s in Chicago. She was phenomenal. Brought the hose down. And the opener was Jeff Tweedy from Uncle Tupelo & Wilco, doing what I’m pretty sure was his first ever solo acoustic gig.

The second time was in Melbourne maybe 5 years ago. 20 years later she hadn’t lost an ounce of presence or intensity. Courtney Barnett opened, and Patti brought her onstage for “People Have the Power”. Hell of a gig.
Hard to believe she's seventy-five now. Even though I was the right age for it, I mostly missed her and other musicians in that first era because - I don't know, I had different tastes then.

She brought the hose down? Was there a fire? :giggle:

I love Patti so much. “Horses” plays in the background during the first sex scene in “Juxtapositions”.

I knew nothing about her until a few years ago. Then this weird couple of old punk rockers moved in a few doors down from us. Turns out they had been friends with Patti when she lived in Detroit in the 80s, and the wife had been her babysitter.

I learned a lot about 70s era music from them. Unfortunately, they moved after about a year.

I knew nothing about her until a few years ago. Then this weird couple of old punk rockers moved in a few doors down from us. Turns out they had been friends with Patti when she lived in Detroit in the 80s, and the wife had been her babysitter.

I learned a lot about 70s era music from them. Unfortunately, they moved after about a year.
You'd probably like Chrissie Hyndes, the other bad ass punk chick, from The Pretenders.

Australia's equivalent was Chrissie Amphlett from The Divinyls; a fierce stage act, great singer, great songs.

Or drink from a can of passiona into which the poor bee has fallen, thus discovering that my small son was allergic to bee stings.
Oh my! I’m so sorry! 😢 if it is any comfort, honeybees only sting in desperation and, unlike wasps and hornets, they die when they do it. (It may be different in Oz.). I am completely unafraid of them but i did step on one one time. It was blindingly painful, but honestly i felt worse for the bee because her stinger was ripped right out of her tummy. One wonders what kind of sense it makes to have a defense mechanism that kills you. 😢 I am so sorry my handle has such a terrible association for you!

Oh my! I’m so sorry! 😢 if it is any comfort, honeybees only sting in desperation and, unlike wasps and hornets, they die when they do it. (It may be different in Oz.). I am completely unafraid of them but i did step on one one time. It was blindingly painful, but honestly i felt worse for the bee because her stinger was ripped right out of her tummy. One wonders what kind of sense it makes to have a defense mechanism that kills you. 😢 I am so sorry my handle has such a terrible association for you!
It's fine - I think your Account Name is lovely - and my son is now thirty, so he got over the sting!

Back