Mental Illness

I'm having a rough time at the moment. I haven't been physically well for a while and it's really starting to affect my depression and moods; an endless cycle of blood tests with the same outcomes is making me feel like I'm bashing my head against the wall. I'm lucky to have two very amazing online friends who have been supportive, especially this last month. But I miss someone else

I might as well chime in....... I struggle with depression. I don't know why. It almost took my life. Now, I take a few pills to help keep me on the planet. The pills work.

Overall, our country has a major mental illness problem. People die senseless deaths everyday due to various barriers to mental health resources. It not an easy problem to solve but we could do so much better.

I might as well chime in....... I struggle with depression. I don't know why. It almost took my life. Now, I take a few pills to help keep me on the planet. The pills work.

Overall, our country has a major mental illness problem. People die senseless deaths everyday due to various barriers to mental health resources. It not an easy problem to solve but we could do so much better.
Medication was the best decision I ever made! I hope things are going well for you at the moment

I've lost the studies/quotes that I used to copy-paste in response to threads along the lines of 'kinky = mentally ill' but while I'm poking at Google Scholar to see if I can find them again, short version that came up was that no, BDSM practitioners do not experience mental illness at a higher rate than non-kinky members of society.

I've been diagnosed with anxiety co-morbid to depression (the latter being mild, but still there, just rare to make itself known - normally takes me not being in the best headspace to start with), and none of my anxiety triggers, causes or origins are related to BDSM in any sense.

I agree.

:rose:

I've lost the studies/quotes that I used to copy-paste in response to threads along the lines of 'kinky = mentally ill' but while I'm poking at Google Scholar to see if I can find them again, short version that came up was that no, BDSM practitioners do not experience mental illness at a higher rate than non-kinky members of society.

I've been diagnosed with anxiety co-morbid to depression (the latter being mild, but still there, just rare to make itself known - normally takes me not being in the best headspace to start with), and none of my anxiety triggers, causes or origins are related to BDSM in any sense.

Almost 30 Years...

I have been dealing with my own depression and anxiety for almost 30 years. But I am still here, still functioning, and have a good life. In one period there were extensive hospitalizations, even had some shock treatments (did me no good whatsoever) and regret them. Had many different psychiatrists and therapists, many different medications tried, some worked for a couple of years, but then fizzled. Learned along the way that I am an adult child of an alcoholic and that is a big factor underlying my problems. Have now had the same and excellent psychiatrist since 2001. He stabilized me and I still see him every month or two. He keeps track of me.

My medication load has decreased somewhat last couple of years, have not needed as much as I aged toward 80 years old. A nice side benefit was that when I (slowly) weaned off of Paroxetine, my libido increased strongly, and now has me following Lit and Tumblr and having much more satisfying masturbation sessions.

Would be happy to share more experiences if it might help anyone. P.M. with me if you wish.

Denny

This may or may not be of help or even belong here. But my wife and I both seem to have something on every post to comment about. It's not that we know a lot or have done a lot. We're sure not book smart or well traveled. I'm not even sure we are street smart. But here goes my comment on this topic.

Our second son married a girl with some sort of mental problems. At 50 she still can't hold a job or raise a kid. Which brings me to this part.
At age 50, my wife 48, we took temporary custody of our first grandson. Remember that word TEMPORARY!
We had raised three kids of our own and all were average normal adults at this time. Yet my wife and I had to go to school to become foster grandparents and learn how to care for a baby. The funny part of this, most of those teachers and welfare agent "girls" weren't married, had no kids, and barely could care for themselves. Yet they told grown ups how to raise babies.
Our grandson seemed normal and grew up learning at the same rate as other kids.
At age 1 1/2 the DCFS came to our door, telling us they were coming in the morning to give our grandson to a nice couple who were adopting him. They had decided our grand daughter would never be a fit mother and as long as our son stayed married to her they would not get their son back. Our son had a choice, his wife or his child.

By this time the baby was calling us mom and dad even though we discouraged it at this time. Short version, we adopted S. At age 55 my plans were to buy a motorhome and see the USA. We loved camping and figured later in life we might move to sunny Florida.
Things happened. Now we needed a home and schools for a five year old. This is when we found S. was gifted, had a very high IQ and great memory.

ADHD was mentioned when he couldn't get along with the other kids and became bored. He was moved ahead yet remained in trouble. He solved math problems instantly, yet not writing down how he came up with the answers. He was accused of cheating. We spent more time at S's school than we did all three of our other kids.
He saw doctors, he was on those wonder drugs which only made him worse. In time we discontinued the drugs and S seemed to improve at a special charter school. He ended up teaching a small engine repair and electrical class when they could no longer pay a temporary teacher.

Shit happened, S was being expelled and needed two more years of HS. With luck our tiny town got a GED class sponsered by a college. S. took two years of HS in under two months. It took that long because testing was only at certain times.

While in GED he also worked for a private shop operating those Hi tec. computerized tool making machines. He got bored because it was too easy. We heard about a custom racing motorcycle shop needing a mechanic. S. had never been near a motorcycle except a few bike events we took him.
In no time he was adding turbos, NOS, bigger engines, etc. He built the world's fastest whatever bike several years in a row.
A specialty bike builder making less than Walmart pay. Arguements about money, being cheated, nerves, etc. caused S to go into spells and end up alone along a highway and eventually in ER.
He had to quit that job. Being in the deep south, pay and cheating rednecks ripped off young mechanics. We checked many schools to get certified as a mechanic. The same excuses, I already know that stuff and it's boring. So it was from one small auto repair shop to another. He quit one because the used car lot owner was having S switch electronic speedometers from low mileage wrecks and other shady things. We were proud of S. for keeping honest.

But girls were his downfall. A sweet slender cute little blonde he'd known from middle school and S fell in love. We soon learned what bipolar was. They were living together in our RV at the side of our property with everything an RV park would have. She became a prostitute and ran off to Mrytle Beach. Her and our son stayed in touch. One weekend he didn't come home. He drove from central Florida to get the girl from a police station after being arrested for theft and prostitution.

Back at our place for awhile our son begged us to help get rid of her. We took her downtown. Local city police told us just let her off on a corner. We wouldn't do that to a dog. County police gave us the name of a house for druggies and lonely young people.
We had to go through that citie's local police then take her to the home. We were not allowed in but our son was. It looked secure yet in a shady neighborhood. Within days she was leaving to buy alcohol, drugs, and have sex. Eventually she disappeared.

After a few more looser poor girls son ended up one of ten or more to get the next druggie, alcoholic, plll popping whore pregnant. Our son was the lucky winner. Neither he or the girl had jobs or knew how to raise a baby. That baby went to temporary foster care just like our son, the daddy.
The girl went to rehab, took medication, ended up back on the streets.

Our son's and her baby is now our last grand daughter, the daughter of our oldest son and wife. Life's been hell, a circus, but we've kept it all in the family!

It's a continuous life of drugs and legal drugs to attempt to save lives.
By the time we moved back to Illinios our adopted son owed us over $30,000 plus things that walked off. We shook hands, hugged, left telling him we are even and we love him. Don't ask for another dollar.
He's had a decent job and no girlfriends for over ten months. No more spells or hospital visits. Some have ADHD and other mental problems. For many it's stress and our modern way of life.
Good luck everyone!:heart:

@txgent101

Glad to hear from someone who is making it long term with these issues. Gives me hope for my kids.

@LIVINRFANTASIES

I do believe so much drug and booze issues come from self medicating. Glad you and your wife were able to be stable and fight the good fight giving such needed support.

(Edited)

Will read through this thread later, when more time, hopefully shared experiences will help.

Last edited:
Guys, seriously, you seem to be overlooking the wonder of CBD products, or of course just straight cannabis strains high in CBD . It will help you no end, you only have to do a little googling to see how amazing CBD is.

Among being a go to for anxiety, depression and mental illness in general, it is halting tumors in their tracks, helping autistic children, easing a multitude of ailments in people from nerve pain to lowering blood pressure. You need to try it out and ease yourselves into a calm , confident ,content happy person :heart:

Last edited:
Guys, seriously, you seem to be overlooking the wonder of CBD products, or of course just straight cannabis strains high in CBD . It will help you no end, you only have to do a little googling to see how amazing CBD is.

Among being a go to for anxiety, depression and mental illness in general, it is halting tumors in their tracks, helping autistic children, easing a multitude of ailments in people from nerve pain to lowering blood pressure. You need to try it out and ease yourselves into a calm , confident ,content happy person :heart:

What works for one doesn't work for another. We all do different things to manage our situations. CBD isn't legal everywhere even if the company selling it to you says it is. For those where it is legal and readily available this could be something to try, but for others it is not viable.

Hello,

So I'm sort of back from a hiatus of sorts. Some stuff happened that pushed me close to an edge I haven't been near in a while. It was quite the topping on a spectacular couple of months 👍🏻 I'm back from my edge but still pretty delicate. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop at any moment.

I've rid myself of all the negativity that had been surrounding me and had to say some very hard goodbyes but I managed to take something incredible away from it all and that's enough for me.

I haven't decided if I'll stay on Lit, we'll see how it goes I guess

Tlc

Hello,

So I'm sort of back from a hiatus of sorts. Some stuff happened that pushed me close to an edge I haven't been near in a while. It was quite the topping on a spectacular couple of months 👍🏻 I'm back from my edge but still pretty delicate. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop at any moment.

I've rid myself of all the negativity that had been surrounding me and had to say some very hard goodbyes but I managed to take something incredible away from it all and that's enough for me.

I haven't decided if I'll stay on Lit, we'll see how it goes I guess

So sorry you have had a rough time. I have found that in times of stress that a place like Literotica can be very diverting and take my mind off my issues. I usually find what I might call 'good vibes' here. Please stay a while and browse around. Most folks are very supportive. In the meantime, here is a small bit of TLC for you:
https://68.media.tumblr.com/facda52d02265377e2f8225619ee5dc2/tumblr_ov25enYmu01wz0ja3o1_500.gif

I guyess as someone with PTSD and a relapsing PTSD, myself I deal with both on a day to day, thankfully my PTSD only shows during loud noises that I do not expect, so i can whatch the fourth of July at the local celebrations but if im home and someone pops off a firework behind my house poof there I go ready for WWIII.

Onto my depression though, god I have never found any way to truly beat it, of course since its tide to emotional distruss of others its hard for me to form lasting relationships with others. And this is due to to me expecting it to end just as fast as it started.

So I have done my best to limit emotional based relationships (aka love life) since now a days its seems 6 months to a year is the norm and wel for someone that gets close and relies heavily on trust as part of his relationship building well. Having someone destroy your trust ruins my wanting and welliness to build new relationships at times.

Though I just got out an Online D/S Relationship a few weeks ago, ended mutually due to RL stuff. but still I have been dealing with the fact I have an emotional bond to someone who I have never meat in person but has shared a good bit. And well that person is not there anymore and so there has been a void since the ending.

(which is why i think Dom's, Domme's and sub's who say Online D/S relationships arent real are total bullshitters, since u can get that emotional connection too)

So for these two (PTSD, and Depression) strangly the best advice I have I have is try to acumalte yourself, for the longest time lightning strikes triggered my PTSD but after months of forcing myself to stand there in take the surprise of the Lightning I have been able to hide an occurrence of my PTSD but that might not work for anyone else.

FOr depression I have no cure, medicine didnt work for me, facing it head on has been a challenge and struggle. but Depression cures arent a fit all size deal. Try many things hell I tried yoga, calming my mind didn't work at all! I have decided to just stay busy and just try to keep the bad days to a minimal.

srry if this dosnt help at all, all I can do is share my POV.

Post it Forward (@postitforward) highlights a community dedicated to ending the stigma surrounding mental health discussion. Scroll through the blog, search the #postitforward tag on Tumblr, and consider posting it forward yourself. You just might make another person feel a little less alone.

As always, when things get tough, consider using the resources your community offers. Here is a list of free and confidential counseling being offered all around the world: https://tumblr.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/231885028-Counseling-and-prevention-resources

Yay!

:rose::rose::rose:

Great idea. We can all use all the support we can get.

:heart:

Post it Forward (@postitforward) highlights a community dedicated to ending the stigma surrounding mental health discussion. Scroll through the blog, search the #postitforward tag on Tumblr, and consider posting it forward yourself. You just might make another person feel a little less alone.

As always, when things get tough, consider using the resources your community offers. Here is a list of free and confidential counseling being offered all around the world: https://tumblr.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/231885028-Counseling-and-prevention-resources

Thanks. :) Getting there was so difficult and mostly because I put up my own roadblocks. After doing it I felt like such a weight was lifted.

Hi MeekMe

Not read all the pages but, I do suffer with Mental health issues.. If you ever need a chat please PM me.. If your like me talking may be the last thing you want to do but please if you ever need a chat just PM me, that goes for anyone.. Huge hugs x

BDSM Mental illness?

No, simply no. Possibly could be related to sexual addiction, but as long as its not unhealthy then whats the problem. I'm a power lifting addict, I love lifting heavy stuff, but is it bad? No. So I think people that say this are just ignorant of what it entails.

A priest? I avoid them like the plague.

I think a priest would have a really bad time exorcising me,
I have a blood pact with the Devil and everything.

Update: I'm on different medication for bipolar disorder and I'm feeling better than I did a few months ago which I'm happy about!! :)

Now I'm planning on focusing on art and painting! This makes me happy! :D

Awesome! Do you mind saying what that med is?

Update: I'm on different medication for bipolar disorder and I'm feeling better than I did a few months ago which I'm happy about!! :)

Now I'm planning on focusing on art and painting! This makes me happy! :D

I'm a little past a year in no contact with my borderline personality disordered in denial and wants to blame me, mother. It feels good. Was wondering what she would try over the holidays and other than calling me non stop at work one day, nothing so far. Yay.

Oldest adult child started having seizures a few weeks ago. Spent some time in E.R. and ICU. Exhausting and so worried. Welbutrin was the culprit. Wow. Memory issues are making it difficult to finish up on college courses.

My adult son is still on this.

Our psychiatrist retired. Trying to get a new one.

Hoping the fresh hell political news isn't as bad in 2018 and we can afford to live.

Back