Classified reports have ‘damning evidence’ of Trump campaign’s coordination with Russ

Not to hijack the thread, but with that admission can you not at least entertain the notion that a significant number of people who voted for Trump were NOT, in fact, "true believers" but were simply those who sliced the same putrid onion and came up with a different conclusion?

The thought should be entertained, but only on the understanding that there is little equivalency here. The antipathy millions of voters felt for Clinton might be in some few respects defensible (and in those respects the Sanders supporters would be in complete agreement), but mostly was the product of a cottage industry of mostly dishonest and irrational Hillary-hate going back to her time as FLOTUS and the Whitewater and Vince Foster conspiracy theories, reinforced by a consistent Republican policy of making a tempest out of every teapot and never letting go of the tempest (the email thing and the Benghazi thing both very definitely fall under that heading). The antipathy millions felt for Trump would be judged almost entirely rational and informed by any reasonable, impartial, nonpartisan observer.

MoveOn.org Files Federal Ethics Complaint Against Rep. Nunes for Violating Espionage Act, House Rules.

Nunes, who chairs the House Intelligence Committee, also briefed the Trump White House on a pending FBI investigation into ties between the Trump campaign and Russia, and acknowledged this week that he was on the White House grounds hours before holding a press conference to advance the discredited wiretapping claims. Nunes also neglected to share information with his committee before sharing with the White House and media.

“The disclosure of this information by Chairman Nunes was evidently intended to try to lend some credence to President Trump’ claims that former President Obama had Trump Tower wiretapped—claims that have been repeatedly been shown to be absolutely baseless, as confirmed by FBI Director Comey in his testimony before Chairman Nunes’ own committee,” the complaint reads. “In his quest to assist President Trump politically, however, it appears that Chairman Nunes has committed serious violations of law and House Rules.”

First Republican calls for Devin Nunes to step down for coordinating with White House.

Even Republican politicians are beginning to recognize the harm Nunes has done to any impartial investigation. North Carolina Rep. Walter Jones told the Hill Tuesday that Nunes “absolutely” had to recuse himself.

“How can you be chairman of a major committee and do all these things behind the scenes and keep your credibility? You can’t keep your credibility!” Jones said.

Other Republicans, including Sen. Lindsey Graham and John McCain, have expressed growing skepticism that Nunes is the right man to lead the Russia investigation.

The Senate investigation is still ongoing and bipartisan.

Just because the Democrats decided to scuttle the House investigation...

Well, it means nothing. Democrats are going to find no wrong-doing no matter what.

This is just Pontius engaging in a hand-washing ritual.

The thought should be entertained, but only on the understanding that there is little equivalency here. The antipathy millions of voters felt for Clinton might be in some few respects defensible (and in those respects the Sanders supporters would be in complete agreement), but mostly was the product of a cottage industry of mostly dishonest and irrational Hillary-hate going back to her time as FLOTUS and the Whitewater and Vince Foster conspiracy theories, reinforced by a consistent Republican policy of making a tempest out of every teapot and never letting go of the tempest (the email thing and the Benghazi thing both very definitely fall under that heading). The antipathy millions felt for Trump would be judged almost entirely rational and informed by any reasonable, impartial, nonpartisan observer.

Your own Lit colleague BoyNextDoor disagrees. His exact words were, "Hillary was an absolute suck-ass, bag of shit candidate" and the clear implication is that was substantially of her own doing and NOT the result of a cottage industry. Your inability to hold her responsible for her own failings and pawn every single flaw off on the creation of the partisan opposition is appalling but in no way surprising. It is who you are. You've displayed it repeatedly.

The difference between Trump and Clinton is that one is a lying fool and the other is a very skillful, and practiced liar. Which is far more dangerous.

But neither is admirable or normally tolerable in a President. Unfortunately, this election wasn't normal and we were ensured of getting one or the other.

And the difference between YOU and ME is that I can objectively make that admission and you simply cannot.

Your own Lit colleague BoyNextDoor disagrees. His exact words were, "Hillary was an absolute suck-ass, bag of shit candidate" and the clear implication is that was substantially of her own doing and NOT the result of a cottage industry. Your inability to hold her responsible for her own failings and pawn every single flaw off on the creation of the partisan opposition is appalling but in no way surprising. It is who you are. You've displayed it repeatedly.

The difference between Trump and Clinton is that one is a lying fool and the other is a very skillful, and practiced liar. Which is far more dangerous.

But neither is admirable or normally tolerable in a President. Unfortunately, this election wasn't normal and we were ensured of getting one or the other.

And the difference between YOU and ME is that I can objectively make that admission and you simply cannot.

The buffoon's glib prevarications are growing on me. I forget sometimes, that first and foremost- he is a salesman. His principal product is himself. To sell anything to anyone you have to sell yourself first. You have to convince yourself that the product is worth buying. To quote George Costanza, "It's not a lie, if you believe it." No is not an acceptable response to a salesman so he doesn't ackniwledge it.

I cannot stand salesman, but have a grudging admiration for their craft. I've watched good ones that make you cheerfully believe their alternative universe. I've seen highly improbable ones be incredibally successful; the salesman you hate, but he closes you anyway.

The former one builds relationships and earns referrals. Trump is the latter one.

I kind of like watching him rape the opposition into appoplectic fits.

The Senate investigation is still ongoing and bipartisan.

Just because the Democrats decided to scuttle the House investigation...

Well, it means nothing. Democrats are going to find no wrong-doing no matter what.

This is just Pontius engaging in a hand-washing ritual.

Same could be said in reverse about the House intell committee regarding collusion with the Russians investigation in the house what you just said is also true about the Republicans. Nunes is bound and determined that there is no there. I tend to think that is true and maybe some there, tgere in the surveilance, but to trial by press that before you do the work is sloppy and wrong.

The facts go where they go or don't.

TrumpCo need to cooperate and appear when and if asked. This will be the Left's Bengazi, so don't obstruct like the last nest of liars. Lie if you must, but don't do so brazenly.

How do you know a politician is lying? His lips are moving.

Good to see that "but....but....HILLARY!" is still going strong on the outer fringes of Wingnut Nation.

I credit BotanyBoy for keepin' the meme alive here on the GB.

Objectively, Hillary Clinton is a normal pol, not in any way worse than Bill or any more dishonest than the average run of pol, and you know it. The only factor that made this an abnormal election was Trump.

Last edited:
The buffoon's glib prevarications are growing on me. I forget sometimes, that first and foremost- he is a salesman. His principal product is himself. To sell anything to anyone you have to sell yourself first. You have to convince yourself that the product is worth buying. To quote George Costanza, "It's not a lie, if you believe it." No is not an acceptable response to a salesman so he doesn't ackniwledge it.

I cannot stand salesman, but have a grudging admiration for their craft. I've watched good ones that make you cheerfully believe their alternative universe. I've seen highly improbable ones be incredibally successful; the salesman you hate, but he closes you anyway.

The former one builds relationships and earns referrals. Trump is the latter one.

I kind of like watching him rape the opposition into appoplectic fits.

Yeah, damn the country, I need to be entertained by the PEETUS.

Objectively, Hillary Clinton is a normal pol, not in any way worse than Bill or any more dishonest than the average run of pol, and you know it. The only factor that made this an abnormal election was Trump.

I see. Hillary, like her husband, is a normal lying politician and any voter antipathy toward those practiced, professional deceptions is unreasonable, while moral outrage at a transparently bumbling liar like Trump is accordingly and most assuredly reasonable due to his callous disregard for truth and lack of prior political credentials.

Thanks for reaffirming my point. How many fucking guide dogs does it take to keep you from walking into lamp posts?

Opinion: The sum total of Hilary hatred is far greater than the parts. The equation is unbalanced. As someone who is contemptuous of most politicians, I doubt that she is more corrupt than any other high level member of the political class. Far from being a Clinton fan, I would have supported her until the day after the election.

In hindsight, more of the same would have been far better than the methodical destruction of American institutions.

The irony of the Democrat meme that the Russians are bad guys is their history since the 20s showing they have admired, excused, supported, and bailed out the Soviet experiment with Communism. They love the idea, the control, it offered the State.

Opinion: The sum total of Hilary hatred is far greater than the parts. The equation is unbalanced. As someone who is contemptuous of most politicians, I doubt that she is more corrupt than any other high level member of the political class. Far from being a Clinton fan, I would have supported her until the day after the election.

In hindsight, more of the same would have been far better than the methodical destruction of American institutions.

"Methodical destruction of American institutions"? REALLY??

Is the man advocating suspension of the Congress or elimination of the federal court system? Canceling elections? Return to the gold standard and shit can the Federal Reserve?

Exactly which institutions are being methodically destroyed?

At worst you have a politically naive doofus whose political agenda is radically different than yours. And his political agenda, like most and even as President, is not at all certain to come to pass and even if major elements of it does, they are, like most political milestones, fragile and potentially reversible.

In other words, we essentially have the very "more of the same" you seem to miss. And a hallmark of that "sameness" is the routine lament of the losers that "THE END IS NEAR."

I see. Hillary, like her husband, is a normal lying politician and any voter antipathy toward those practiced, professional deceptions is unreasonable . . .

In general it may be reasonable to feel that antipathy, but when it comes time to vote and the choice is between such a pol and something far worse, the best maxim is, "Stick to the Devil you know." Any other choice is unreasonable.

As for Hillary, I actually know of few lies that can be attributed to her. She might even be more honest than the average pol. At any rate, her PolitiFact scorecard looks pretty good.

The irony of the Democrat meme that the Russians are bad guys is their history since the 20s showing they have admired, excused, supported, and bailed out the Soviet experiment with Communism.

Some leftist intellectuals might have done that, but not the Democrats as a party, they were consistently anti-Soviet throughout the Cold War, and more or less Soviet-neutral before WWII, and of course pro-Soviet during WWII because the USSR was a vital ally (most Allied war dead in the European theater were Russian).

Thank you, I prefer to forget that Twitter exists.

Me too, but that is where General Thomas McInerny explains what "The Hammer" is. You might be able to search it by his name plus The Hammer of Google.

Back