Do you listen to music while writing?

M

MLClifton

If so, is there a specific genre/artist/song you choose to get you in the writing mood?

I have to. Silence screws with me. I listen to anything hard and heavy. Heavy metal, death metal. It sounds odd, but the more chaotic the music, the better I focus. I guess it drowns everything else out.

Yeah, I listen to music as well. Usually rock, unless I really need to focus on the words I'm writing, in which case I listen to instrumental music so I won't get distracted by the lyrics. Lindsey Stirling's songs work great for me, although she does have a few collaborations which do have lyrics. Besides her I often listen to fingerstyle guitarists like Sungha Jung, Gabriella Quevedo and Eddie van der Meer when I need to focus.

I usually listen to AC/DC or GNR while I write. For my last story I was on a Stevie Nicks kick. Probably why it came out a romance.

For me, music is a mode setter. It can also be a distraction if it isn't in sync with what you're trying to write. I automatically turn my t.v. off if I'm trying to write, occasionally I will have music in the background.

I have to. Silence screws with me. I listen to anything hard and heavy. Heavy metal, death metal. It sounds odd, but the more chaotic the music, the better I focus. I guess it drowns everything else out.

Yeah, nothing like some good old school Death Metal like: Obituary, Deicide, Dismember, Death, or Sepultura to corrupt the brain, crush the brain cells; get the story to ooze out mind and flow onto the paperđź‘ đź‘ đź‘ Kant. But, normally I stick with Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd.:)

Thanks for the responses. There are some artists mentioned that I'll have to check out.

I usually listen to AC/DC or GNR while I write. For my last story I was on a Stevie Nicks kick. Probably why it came out a romance.

I love the songs she wrote and performed for Fleetwood Mac's "Tusk" album. "Beautiful Child" and "Storms" always give me the feels.

I find silence distracting. But I need music that is very, very familiar, so it isn't distracting either. So stuff like classic rock that I've heard a million times is just right.

I find silence distracting. But I need music that is very, very familiar, so it isn't distracting either. So stuff like classic rock that I've heard a million times is just right.

Hmm, interesting... I tend to follow along with the text or melody if I know the song too well, so it ends up being more distracting than a song that is new to me. That's why I'm always playing the music on shuffle too, so I won't go through the list in my head thinking about where I am and which one will come next.

I once listened to light background music when editing and writing, but it seems that when I moved over to mostly writing, I stopped having any music going.

Yes. Mainly jazz. Occasionally chamber music. But I avoid anything with vocals. :)

I love the songs she wrote and performed for Fleetwood Mac's "Tusk" album. "Beautiful Child" and "Storms" always give me the feels.
I don't know why, but "Sorcerer", "Rooms On Fire", and "Talk to Me" really touch me right now. In a week or two or ten I'll go back to AC/DC, GNR, and Motley Crue. I've got a story brewing in my head that will require "Squealer" by AC/DC when I write it. ;)

Space music, drones, innocuous classical, ragas -- but nothing to jolt my consciousness.

Yes.

Progressive rock
Progressive metal
Avant garde metal
Black metal

I have about 5,000 CDs, all ripped onto a large hard drive (and backed up twice). Sometimes I just randomize and see what comes up...

Yes.
- Progressive rock
- Art rock
- Progressive metal
- Avant garde metal
- Black metal
- Symphonic rock
- Etc...

I have about 5,000 CDs, all ripped onto a large hard drive (and backed up twice). Sometimes I just randomize and see what comes up...

Back