Isolated BDSM Blurts - Roosters are Vicious

• Thread starter La damnee elle la licorne
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, the vast majority of ready and easily stored food that we have quick access to are all pre-packaged, preservative addled, processed to the point of no nutritional value, GMO garbage. That also includes our pesticide coated produce.

As far as fried foods go, the majority stem from old poverty comfort food. Cheap cuts of meat or affordable vegetables that were breaded/spiced/fried to make them more palatable, now become an easy way for a lot of places to cover up quality by claiming tradition. It's become " trendy " to eat healthy diets that consist of organic foods, hence $$$. Which only perpetuates the increasing health issues due to what's affordable to the vast majority.

But, I digress, I believe those are " fish sticks " :D

Ah! Yeah you're right. Probably fish, not chicken. Silly me. :rolleyes:

I agree with you on the healthy eating options. $$$$ is an issue when trying to get better options for my toddler. (babies are on bottles and baby food still). Her favorites right now though are canned raviolis, mac n cheese, grilled cheese, yogurt, buttered toast, cinnamon toast crunch, French toast sticks, strawberries, blueberries, and peaches. Give it a week tho...

No bacon thanks. I'm totally off it. I know, I'm sick. :eek:

The great thing is, lots of food does grow on plants.....and there is public space......

Our blackberries for example, I will pick as many as I can, invite friends to pick them....we'll use them through winter.....but the country roads are not lined with people from the local town picking. Why is a shame. It's legal, they are free, healthy, delicious. Sure, road side ones want LOTS Of cleaning, but fill a freezer with them.....free fruit. This year we have had free gooseberries and cherries from G's running routes. Later we'll have more apples I than I can process and plums.....and you cannot give them all away: I try. I'd love the extras to go to low income households to be applesauce or frozen in wedges for use through winter. But, when I have persued these avenues before....its not the low income households who show interest. It's better they get used, but it's a shame they do not go where they can do most good.

I'm so incredibly jealous, I would be in free fruit heaven!

As to the bolded, it's all part of the vicious cycle, isn't it? Lower income in general means less fresh food options at the store which means less cooking know how and skills, and kids never learn how to cook fresh food (or appreciate it) unless they personally push themselves to learn, and so on and so on.

I think in country areas fruit is always available for those who show some 'light fingered initiative' or foraging. There is plenty of fruit available for free in season in hedgerows or road sides. But it became very uncool to know what to do with it. And our collective taste buds have got SO MUCH sweeter too.

In urban areas I certainly agree, and that kitchens and stuff are so small in modern homes, no storage to lay down preserved things to get through winter.

I also think food programming is off putting now. A lot is focused on perfection and it really off putting to me. 'The correct' or the 'ideal' version of what ever meal....it's not necessarily what people need to cook. People need to be able to use what is economical, and healthy and available to them.....without feeling lesser because it's not how a peasant in the south of France, or Sicily might have done it for fifteen generations: without feeling the need to despair.

Interesting. I don't get that vibe from food shows at all. I just take them all as input for possible output :) I also try to make sure I eat before I watch :p

Interesting. I don't get that vibe from food shows at all. I just take them all as input for possible output :) I also try to make sure I eat before I watch :p

Food programs can be intimidating for people that have rarely cooked anything. I'm not a fan of most cooking shows because of that. Also, for the novice without a real life cooking role model, it's overwhelming to see someone working professionally.

_____

I don't know if any of you have ever had potato flakes before, but there's a huge difference between real mashed potatoes, and those little flakes in a box with the just add water instruction. I grew up with stuff like that and I'm so very glad that I was introduced to real food and the idea that cooking doesn't have to be terribly elaborate. Growing up, I rarely had opportunities for fresh foods and I honestly thought that I hated vegetables. It turned out that I actually love vegetables, just not from a can or cooked down to mush with butter and salt.

I didn't used to. It depends on the show. There is a really popular baking programme here called the great British bake off. People LOVE it. And anything that gets people in their kitchens is good, so I am not opposed, don't get me wrong. I cannot stand it. It's so......prissy. :eek:. It's correct of course, but it's also .....kind of small minded and pedestrian at times..

The only cooking show I enjoy is good eats. It covers different dishes, their history, and the science behind how it's made. I love it. It's called Good Eats.

I didn't used to. It depends on the show. There is a really popular baking programme here called the great British bake off. People LOVE it. And anything that gets people in their kitchens is good, so I am not opposed, don't get me wrong. I cannot stand it. It's so......prissy. :eek:. It's correct of course, but it's also .....kind of small minded and pedestrian at times..

Food programs can be intimidating for people that have rarely cooked anything. I'm not a fan of most cooking shows because of that. Also, for the novice without a real life cooking role model, it's overwhelming to see someone working professionally.

_____

I don't know if any of you have ever had potato flakes before, but there's a huge difference between real mashed potatoes, and those little flakes in a box with the just add water instruction. I grew up with stuff like that and I'm so very glad that I was introduced to real food and the idea that cooking doesn't have to be terribly elaborate. Growing up, I rarely had opportunities for fresh foods and I honestly thought that I hated vegetables. It turned out that I actually love vegetables, just not from a can or cooked down to mush with butter and salt.

I'm probably inured. The cooking channels were always my tv defaults since they first appeared :rolleyes: I'm a hopeless addict!

I'll see if we get good eats here.

I like food to, I just hate the prissy, prescriptive 'one true way' ...domly cooking!

I have an old friend visiting from Korea soon and I am hoping she'll give me a refresher in rolling kimbap well.

o/` Jealous, jealous again... o/`
:D

Do you know cooks sometimes use them to thicken sauces? :D. I love those fake mashed potatoes when I was young and used to cry for them, because my mother cooked real food! :D. I also like some preserved/canned vegetables, they have a different 'context' of taste memory for me. Bottled peas and baby carrots always remind me of France for example, as does salsify. I love the latter, in the same way I love smoked meat: it means something safe and provisioned to me. I also love flageolet beans in cans and those with some very early or very late season lamb or hoggit and sauté potatoes or mashed celeriac is a comfort meal of cold evenings to me.

I'm aware, but I still won't use them. I don't mind preserved foods, and canned things aren't terrible for me. But certain foods are nothing but reminders of bad memories. I eat a variety of things now because it didn't exist for me then.

That's possible. I'll need to increase the gauge of all of the materials, though, so that Mrs MF can't destroy the cross with her superstrength power (see middle bullet point here).

Instead of a pot plant, we'll probably need a giant aspidistra to sit on top of the pedestal in order to maintain the overall scale. :D

I have a different solution.
If you lift down the large painting on the end wall of our bedroom, you will see a couple of sturdy eyebolts (set in wall achors) a bit above head level.
Combine those with a spreader bar, and you have a "cross without a visible cross".

:D

The screw that the painting hangs from also make a third anchor point with a nifty little connector I made.

Let's dream dance together then, because this sounds just perfect to me. :rose:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back