Chastity cage: BDSM or Fetish category?

Norway_1705

Mr. Mapmaker
Looking for a label shared by all, I would like to ask whether you think a story in which the wife holds the key to the lock of a chastity device voluntarily worn by her husband should be considered "BDSM" or "Fetish."
Undoubtedly he manifests submission, and she acts a dominating behavior, albeit with reluctance or laziness (or gentle kindness).
Second part of my question: if I label it as Fetish, does it disappoint fans of that category? And if I label it as BDSM but handcuffs and whips do not appear, will I disappoint fans of that category?
English is not my native language, please forgive my mistakes.
Third part of the question. Everyone knows that readers in the LW category are as aggressive and toxic as in a poisoned swamp. Do you know if BDSM readers are more cruel than Fetish readers, or contrariwise vice versa?

Fetish. It is a category that accepts many kinks, and the kink you described fits there easily. BDSM is trickier and you could get downvoted there if your story doesn't exactly fit the criteria that the BDSM crowd sees as belonging to the category. It's a no-brainer, in my opinion. šŸ˜‰

I would put it in Fetish. It sounds as if the story is strongly centered on the chastity device, and the BDSM readership can be picky about what they believe belongs in the category.

Mention chastity device somewhere in the title or description. Authors in the fetish category seem to have a fetish for not calling out their kink up front, which I believe strongly contributes to the lower average readership there.

I'd say that if the chastity cage represents the most important element in the story - it's aquisition, use and removal make up the main arc of the story - then put it in fetish.

If is a major, but not single, element of the story and the story is more about control exerted by one person over another in a range of activities - put it in BDSM.

Thanx. Yes, I too find it exhausting that the Fetish category encompasses completely different perversions (from feet to golden rain, from nails to chastity cage) and when you open a story you never know "which one."

doesn't exactly fit the criteria that the BDSM crowd sees as belonging to the category. šŸ˜‰
What percentage of readers of a category constitutes the "crowd?"

I, for sure, look at three categories because of the plethora of threads here in AH posted by authors who can't figure out where their story should go.

What percentage of readers of a category constitutes the "crowd?"

I, for sure, look at three categories because of the plethora of threads here in AH posted by authors who can't figure out where their story should go.
I believe that the percentage isn't as relevant as, say, the activity of those users. It could be as low as one percent of BDSM readers for all we know, but for some reason, those purists are usually very loud and they tend to vote and comment a lot, I assume also cast fraudulent votes, since it is so easy to do it šŸ«¤

The husband is wearing his cage as an act of submission, so the story doesnā€™t fall under the category of Bondage, Discipline, Sadism, and probably not Masochism. Submitting sexually is a fetish. Go with ā€˜fetish.ā€™

I believe that the percentage isn't as relevant as, say, the activity of those users. It could be as low as one percent of BDSM readers for all we know, but for some reason, those purists are usually very loud and they tend to vote and comment a lot, I assume also cast fraudulent votes, since it is so easy to do it šŸ«¤
What is "a fraudulent vote?" And how do you do it? Honest question here.

The husband is wearing his cage as an act of submission, so the story doesnā€™t fall under the category of Bondage, Discipline, Sadism, and probably not Masochism. Submitting sexually is a fetish. Go with ā€˜fetish.ā€™
In recent decades I think the meaning of BDSM is this: Bondage, Discipline/Domination, Sadism/Submission, Masochism.

What is "a fraudulent vote?" And how do you do it? Honest question here.
Well, there isn't a strict definition and it can encompass a couple of different things. For example, someone voting on your story with a 1* without even reading it, just to bring your score down, would be a fraudulent vote. It is hard to infer intention from a vote so those aren't easy to detect, but they are also not the primary concern in this case. A true fraudulent vote is when a person votes multiple times on the same story, thus abusing the system in order to bring the score up or down. The system intended for every reader to vote only once, but that same system is very easily circumvented, so it is possible for a single reader to cast multiple votes on any given story.

I won't give you advice on how to do it, I will just say that being a victim of a targeted bombing campaign and being frustrated with the response of the website admins, I tested the system to see how hard it was to do it, and yeah, it turned out to be remarkably easy.
For that reason, back in August, I suggested introducing an option for authors to disallow anonymous voting on their own stories. That way each vote would be tied to an actual account and not to an IP address, and fraudulent voting would be heavily reduced in that case, possibly even completely eliminated. But once again, Literotica doesn't change.

It might be just me, but does BDSM not encompass 3 (6) different aspects?
Bondage/Discipline
Domination/Submissiveness
Sadism/Masochism

Not my field of specialty, but until know that's how I knew it. Based on that, domination/submission is indeed BDSM, even if it has no sadism/masochism or other form of bondage and discipline in it.

But then, all three of the above are also fetishes.
Basically all BDSM is fetish, but not all fetish is BDSM - at least that's how i see it.

What is "a fraudulent vote?" And how do you do it? Honest question
What we colloquially call a "one-bomb" or a "helpful five" - a vote that might not have the characteristics of a genuine vote.

The site has asked that we don't speculate how the sweep system works, because people would probably game it more than they already do.

Suffice to say, sweeps work, and get rid of most dodgy votes. It's why you will sometimes see a story's vote count go down, accompanied by a sudden movement in score. Sweeps occur regularly during contests, and your story benefits, regardless whether it's in the contest or not.

For that reason, back in August, I suggested introducing an option for authors to disallow anonymous voting on their own stories. That way each vote would be tied to an actual account and not to an IP address, and fraudulent voting would be heavily reduced in that case, possibly even completely eliminated. But once again, Literotica doesn't change.
You already have the option to disable all votes, but disabling anonymous votes only would make for an unlevel playing field when it comes to contests and the site's awards programs.

I guess your toggle could be related to a contest lock-out setting, but that adds complexity to something you already think is broken, and places another burden on the site.

In any case, how would such a system help readers? I'm sure they understand what a Red H means to them, but your solution would render that an apples and bananas H, no longer comparable.

People wishing for the ability to turn off anonymous voting on their own stories would quickly find out how foolish that is. The drastically reduced number of votes they would get would make them even more vulnerable to manipulation. In a half an hour, someone with even basic knowledge and half-assed determination could create several accounts, each appearing to originate in different countries/regions, drop 3s and 4s with all of them, and tank the score.

An asshole is 100x more likely to jump through hoops to fuck with you than Joey Jackoff is to bother signing up to vote on a free fuck story.

People wishing for the ability to turn off anonymous voting on their own stories would quickly find out how foolish that is. The drastically reduced number of votes they would get would make them even more vulnerable to manipulation. In a half an hour, someone with even basic knowledge and half-assed determination could create several accounts, each appearing to originate in different countries/regions, drop 3s and 4s with all of them, and tank the score.

An asshole is 100x more likely to jump through hoops to fuck with you than Joey Jackoff is to bother signing up to vote on a free fuck story.
If I am not mistaken, it takes half a day or more for an account to get approved. It could get extended to two days even.

There are solutions for all these problems and the issues you pointed out but once again it all comes down to the manpower problem, which I discussed in a different thread. With a few more people on the job, and the WILLINGNESS to ban IPs, the problem would be considerably reduced even without implementing new options.

If I am not mistaken, it takes half a day or more for an account to get approved. It could get extended to two days even.

There are solutions for all these problems and the issues you pointed out but once again it all comes down to the manpower problem, which I discussed in a different thread. With a few more people on the job, and the WILLINGNESS to ban IPs, the problem would be considerably reduced even without implementing new options.
IP bans have been a joke for twenty years. All I have to do is reset my router to get a new IP. Meanwhile, VPNs are a thing, and there are probably a larger than average number of people using them on an adult site. IP bans therefore run the risk of affecting innocent people while the offender changes their IP and goes about their dastardly business.

A troll of average intelligence wouldn't even get caught to be banned, because the reduced number of votes requires less manipulation. ( And less obvious means of doing so. )

New account generation was damn near instant the last time I did it, but that was 2009... I think. Whatever it says over there in the left column, because this is my newest pen name. Even if it takes a couple of days, once those troll accounts are established, they're ready to rock and roll from that point forward.

But I digress, because this is wildly off-topic.

It might be just me, but does BDSM not encompass 3 (6) different aspects?
Bondage/Discipline
Domination/Submissiveness
Sadism/Masochism

Not my field of specialty, but until know that's how I knew it. Based on that, domination/submission is indeed BDSM, even if it has no sadism/masochism or other form of bondage and discipline in it.

But then, all three of the above are also fetishes.
Basically all BDSM is fetish, but not all fetish is BDSM - at least that's how i see it.
Not entirely sure it's a 'field' or a 'specialty; it's more of a lifestyle. And I've been in the 'lifestyle' a good many years. There are published works out there that purport to instruct on 'how it all works' and in point of fact, at least in my experience, it works how the individuals actually involved make it work. More to the point, if submission isn't a subset of BDSM then a hell of a lot of people I know (myself included) who live it are horribly misinformed.

Speaking plainly, genuine submission by one individual to another who is, for lack of a better term, a Dominant individual, most assuredly falls under the broad and murky umbrella of BDSM. In the instant case above, I concur, if the cage is a component of actual submission then it is indeed BDSM. If it is simply an erotic toy then it is a fetish.

Well, there isn't a strict definition and it can encompass a couple of different things. For example, someone voting on your story with a 1* without even reading it, just to bring your score down, would be a fraudulent vote. It is hard to infer intention from a vote so those aren't easy to detect, but they are also not the primary concern in this case. A true fraudulent vote is when a person votes multiple times on the same story, thus abusing the system in order to bring the score up or down. The system intended for every reader to vote only once, but that same system is very easily circumvented, so it is possible for a single reader to cast multiple votes on any given story.

I won't give you advice on how to do it, I will just say that being a victim of a targeted bombing campaign and being frustrated with the response of the website admins, I tested the system to see how hard it was to do it, and yeah, it turned out to be remarkably easy.
Thank you. This is my first time in the forum, and I came here specifically to see if anyone else is experiencing this. It is almost like clockwork. One of my stories will start out with high ratings, listed as ā€œhot.ā€ Then suddenly the trolls go active and the ratings tank. Another day or two (trolls get bored or move on?) and the ratings rise again.

If the focus of your story is the device itself, that's fetish. BDSM can have detailed accounts of equipment or devices but the successful stories there revolve entirely around the relationship between the characters. It's the relationship, the interdependence and power elements that make a good BDSM story foundation before they get to the fun stuff.

A chastity cage, focusing on that itself, is strictly Fetish, and a fun one at that. Enjoy the writing!

I was befuddled when I re-entered the world of erotica after a 50 year absence and slowly figured out that "BDSM" had been coopted by people who had adopted a life-style... or, if not a life-style, a kink style. I got my orientation via The Story of O and The Image.

I wish we had another word for the focus on submission/surrender without the involvement of personal relationships.

I submitted an edit to a story which was already in the fetish category. The main edit was the addition of a couple of paragraphs where the mc gets put in a chastity cage. The first comment was that the story was ruined by that !
Moral : thereā€™s no pleading everyone

Back