What Made You Smile/Laugh Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
NOOO, stick to the white! I was trying to say that the raw sugar was what didn't work; the butter and sugar wouldn't combine and when they were in the over there was more deep-frying than baking happening.

Interesting. I don't really know what I get wrong with brownies. I've tried to adjust the amount of flour and everything, but they still end up being horrible. I've pretty much given up on them already and bake other things instead. :)

My brownies always end up so hard that they could easily be used as a weapon. Maybe the problem is in the sugar - I don't think I've ever tried raw sugar. I might have to give it a go sometime.

try margarine instead of butter. I've made rice crispy door stops, and it was the real butter's fault.

But on a more serious note, what do you think might be some good ways to prepare for this? Coz if I'm already feeling the nerves then I sure need the prep.

If you're not already doing one, start a blog. The simple act of putting yourself out there for people to see is the first step. Make it as personable as you can so that you get used to showing your personality to the unknown public of the internet.

If you're already doing that, consider using your blog to "sell" a free something. Perhaps you could offer a unique piece of fiction - if you're a writer - that's only available through your blog. Sell the hell out of it just to get used to the process and the feelings that will come about when you have to promote yourself and your work. But this will be risk-free experimentation because racking up big sales won't be your objective.

Been there, got the t-shirt..

*smooch*
(Kissing the pride & shyness bye-bye, yadda, yadda, yadda...:D)

:rose:

Thanks GS. :rose: It's a necessary evil sometimes.

Grovelling.

HOT!!!!!

Oh, wait until I call CBC radio and beg for an interview. Maybe I'll post the transcript here for you.

*fingers in ears* Lalalala, I can't hear you!

Hmmm, I really don't know if I could market myself. You're doing a great job at it Keroin, maybe one day you could do it for me? I'd bake you an unlimited supply of cupcakes, which I promise are of better quality than my brownies *smiles sweetly*

But on a more serious note, what do you think might be some good ways to prepare for this? Coz if I'm already feeling the nerves then I sure need the prep.

It's just reality now that writers must also be marketers, among many, many other things. Even if you were to get signed by one of the Big Five (which was the Big Six until Random House and Penguin merged a few days ago), they will only spend a pittance on marketing new authors. (And they will often only give new authors about six months to 'prove themselves' through sales before they cut them).

There is a very long list of things I wish I'd known ten years ago, but then the business is changing so rapidly I'm re-learning pretty much every day.

The best advice I can give you, RB, is just to say 'love what you do'. I know that sounds trite but, really, the odds of making a living as a writer are about .00000000002% If you don't love it more than anything in the world, why bother?

OK, now the practical advice you can use.

1. Start meeting, networking and learning with/from other writers now, in the beginning. Join a writer's group. Do it now! This is the place where you'll get your first real objective feedback of your work, (which every writer desperately needs), and where you'll be able to talk to those who've 'been there'.

2. Get on Twitter and learn to be a good Twitter citizen. Start making "tweeps" long before you ever launch a book. Follow writers. Read the blogs they link to. There is a ton of valuable advice out there. Do your homework.

3. Volunteer. There are always writing events and organizations who are desperate for volunteers (trust me, I chair one of these organizations). This is the PERFECT way to get into your local writing community and maybe even meet some 'real' authors. I've become friends with some amazing, award winning/best selling authors through my volunteer work and they are now some of my biggest supporters and promoters.

4. Join Toastmasters. I am not a member but I know Midwestyankee is and he will attest to what that organization can do for your confidence and public speaking skills.

I could go on and on and on, but I think those are good places to start. Also, if you haven't read On Writing by Stephen King, you must promise me you will go get it today and read it immediately. Some of the advice is dated but I still believe it is THE one book every aspiring author should read.

Whew!

Oh, one last one. Kristine Rusch has invaluable advice on the business end of writing: http://kriswrites.com/

But, yeah, love it as much as you love oxygen, that's the real key.

Good luck, please feel free to pm if you ever have questions or concerns. :rose:

ETA: That doesn't mean I won't take you up on that baking offer, BTW. ;)

Last edited:
Our giveaway launched at midnight and we already have 84 people signed up to win a copy of the book!!!

Ahem...

Squee!

Also, sneaking in a link for anyone who might want to enter: http://www.warpworld.ca/comm/ Just follow the widget!

Last edited:
try margarine instead of butter. I've made rice crispy door stops, and it was the real butter's fault.

Sounds wrong that any baking would be better with margerine than butter. But I'll definitely remember this. Maybe this might make my mocha squares fluffier, too. They often end on the dense side.

Our giveaway launched at midnight and we already have 84 people signed up to win a copy of the book!!!

Ahem...

Squee!

Also, sneaking in a link for anyone who might want to enter: http://www.warpworld.ca/comm/ Just follow the widget!

Thanks for the link.

And for the plug for Toastmasters. It is truly a life-changing organization if you invest yourself and your energy into its program. Oh, and for anyone who is seriously interested in trying out Toastmasters, send me a PM and I'll help you find a club located near you. With 13,000 clubs around the world, one meets near you.

Sounds wrong that any baking would be better with margerine than butter. But I'll definitely remember this. Maybe this might make my mocha squares fluffier, too. They often end on the dense side.

It does, but it's true. Also for moister cakes/cupcakes use one less egg than called for. I'm a terrible cook/baker but these tricks work.
Sheesh all I want is baked goods and I'm dieting for a party weekend coming up. *gives my salad the stink eye*

I also have been known to take hard baked goods, pop them in the microwave for a few seconds, and eat them fast.
Ok need mind/stomach elsewhere someone talk about incest or something, blech

Realizing in a quiet moment this morning that somehow, someway I actually made it here to this moment... and this moment is good. So good.

Wow. 4pm, first day of the giveaway and already 165 people entered to win. I'm...gobsmacked.

In a good way. :D

My back has decided it's time for its annual "Remember all those times you bashed me against solid objects?" pout/spaz session. But I could really care less. I am doing the Snoopy dance in my mind - I don't need you, stupid back!

Think lard sweetie. Many baking things turn out better because of the different kind of fats.

Thanks for the link.

And for the plug for Toastmasters. It is truly a life-changing organization if you invest yourself and your energy into its program. Oh, and for anyone who is seriously interested in trying out Toastmasters, send me a PM and I'll help you find a club located near you. With 13,000 clubs around the world, one meets near you.

I really need to look up a new guild. There's probably one that meets either on or near campus. Would be one more place to practice not being shy. The group I was visiting kind of got uprooted and now they meet in a different part of the city. Also, the time of day they met was not very convenient for me.

So many great tips for brownies, here! Thanks everybody! :)

Watch this space - next I'm gonna ask how to cook turkey breast, because I've never done it. (I promise, I'm not an idiot in the kitchen, it's just that these American staples are not my forte. Probably because I'm not American and I have some weird, underlying patriotic tendencies that only ever surface when I'm cooking.)

I use butter in my brownies and they're always fine.

these are the best brownies, hands down:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Best-Cocoa-Brownies-108346

I would just adjust your temp and not worry about anything else. Do you have an oven thermometer? Maybe your oven is off.

Watch this space - next I'm gonna ask how to cook turkey breast, because I've never done it. (I promise, I'm not an idiot in the kitchen, it's just that these American staples are not my forte. Probably because I'm not American and I have some weird, underlying patriotic tendencies that only ever surface when I'm cooking.)

In my experience, the secret to consistently great turkey is in a good brine. I just use whatever citrus and herbs I have on hand and it is always well received.

Good luck!

In my experience, the secret to consistently great turkey is in a good brine. I just use whatever citrus and herbs I have on hand and it is always well received.

Good luck!

I also learned, (through a complete accident), that sealing the skin makes for super juicy bird. I pour boiling water over the outside of the turkey before I put it in the pan and baste, etc.

No, I'm no expert cook, but like I said, lucky accident! :D

I also learned, (through a complete accident), that sealing the skin makes for super juicy bird. I pour boiling water over the outside of the turkey before I put it in the pan and baste, etc.

No, I'm no expert cook, but like I said, lucky accident! :D

I could very well be wrong, but I think brining accomplishes the same thing (this is like an Alton Brown/cooking science question). The bird is totally submerged in this salted liquid -- the brine -- for hours before you cook it. Speaking of Alton Brown, I use one of his brine recipes every year.

Step 1. Identify the best local caterer.
Step 2. Call this caterer to order a turkey dinner.
Step 3. Accept all post-meal accolades with subdued humility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back