The Last Thing You Thought...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm extatic! Just got back from ISSMA with the concert band, and we received the first gold rating in group 3 that my high school has earned since 1999.....Squeeeeeee!!!!!! :D

Gratz. Job well done. Way to... play that instrument. Yeah.

Excuse me?

Do not say that! You belong here just as much as anyone! And if anyone says different, I will gladly kick their ass.

Zy has spoken!

And I will testify to her ass kicking skills.

Surreptitiously rubs his bottom.

I was catching up on the threads posted to today, and was reading Vail's thread about how people write what they write. I read the back and forth between her and CT, and read the comments of others. And I just felt so....inadequate?

I know my writing is acceptable, and people even seek me out to write with me sometimes. But I never realized how much thought and analysis other people put into their writing. To think that they put so much thought in even the choice of a single word, and how to end the sentence, one way or another; it just amazes me.

And some of those people write with me! Now I feel like maybe I'm not holding up my end of things, since I just...well, I put myself in the scene, in the character's head space, and write what I think they'd feel and do and how they would react. I don't know why I use the words I use, or the way I put them in order, except that it's how I feel.

One thing is clear; I'm no writer.

I was catching up on the threads posted to today, and was reading Vail's thread about how people write what they write. I read the back and forth between her and CT, and read the comments of others. And I just felt so....inadequate?

I know my writing is acceptable, and people even seek me out to write with me sometimes. But I never realized how much thought and analysis other people put into their writing. To think that they put so much thought in even the choice of a single word, and how to end the sentence, one way or another; it just amazes me.

And some of those people write with me! Now I feel like maybe I'm not holding up my end of things, since I just...well, I put myself in the scene, in the character's head space, and write what I think they'd feel and do and how they would react. I don't know why I use the words I use, or the way I put them in order, except that it's how I feel.

Last edited:

Little one, we all write different, we all think different...that's what makes things fun and interesting!!! If we all thought the same....write the same....it would be a very boring world.

And yes you do write with some but trust me, they wouldn't be writing with you if they thought like that... hugs

You're a writer, just a different kind of writer.
The thing you said about word choice, I'm pretty sure that it was Mark Twain who said, "The difference between a word and the right word is like the difference between lightning and lightning bug." :)

Little one, we all write different, we all think different...that's what makes things fun and interesting!!! If we all thought the same....write the same....it would be a very boring world.

And yes you do write with some but trust me, they wouldn't be writing with you if they thought like that... hugs

Thank you both for the encouragement. And your comments lead me to express a thought that I guess is at the core of what's bothering me.

People seek me out to write something with me, and I assume they do so because they've read something else that I've written previously. So they have some idea of how I write before they even contact me. Or at least I would hope so. But once they begin a story with me, are they then disappointed because I don't put as much thought into my posts that they do?

On the one hand, I feel like if they sought me out because of how I wrote before, then I shouldn't change and write differently since it might not be what they wanted.

But on the other hand, I always wonder if they are disappointed, if I just don't live up to their expectations. And reading those posts brought up all these insecurities.

Do you ever worry about it? Is this a case of thinking about it too much, like getting self conscious while writing a scene in a lounge thread all because I realized other people were reading it besides those involved?

Thank you both for the encouragement. And your comments lead me to express a thought that I guess is at the core of what's bothering me.

People seek me out to write something with me, and I assume they do so because they've read something else that I've written previously. So they have some idea of how I write before they even contact me. Or at least I would hope so. But once they begin a story with me, are they then disappointed because I don't put as much thought into my posts that they do?

On the one hand, I feel like if they sought me out because of how I wrote before, then I shouldn't change and write differently since it might not be what they wanted.

But on the other hand, I always wonder if they are disappointed, if I just don't live up to their expectations. And reading those posts brought up all these insecurities.

Do you ever worry about it? Is this a case of thinking about it too much, like getting self conscious while writing a scene in a lounge thread all because I realized other people were reading it besides those involved?

The truth? Hell yeah I worry which is why I don't write with a lot of them. Like Vail, there is no way in hell i would write with her because damnit, she's good....

Wait, I better shut up....I'll get in trouble...but yes, I do worry...but eh, what can you do? Just keep writing!!!!!! They wouldn't keep writing with you if they didn't like the way you write!!!

Sexy, I doubt anyone is ever disappointed from writing with you. He kisses her cheek.

But you know, you shouldn't feel upset even if you find that things don't work out with your co-writer. You know well how things happen, and sometimes people don't agree on how they want the story to progress, or how they interpret characters. It's nothing anyone should feel inadequate about, it's just creative differences. He nods.

Nonsense, dearest.
If anything you are the best sort of writer, the kind I'd actually like to be more like!
You're instinctive, the words just flow and that, my dear, is talent.
It can't be taught it's just...there! You either have it or you don't.
You do. In spades! :rose:

Now, no more of this 'don't belong here' silliness, please :kiss:

The truth? Hell yeah I worry which is why I don't write with a lot of them. Like Vail, there is no way in hell i would write with her because damnit, she's good....

Wait, I better shut up....I'll get in trouble...but yes, I do worry...but eh, what can you do? Just keep writing!!!!!! They wouldn't keep writing with you if they didn't like the way you write!!!

*Grins* Well if you get in trouble with Vail, just bribe her with cookies. I hear she can't resist them. But seriously, I have had that feeling when starting a story with someone, and their first post just blows me away. And that's when I get that 'Holy shit, I'm in way over my head with this one!' feeling. And if I'm approached by someone whose writing I'm familiar with and greatly admire, I can't help wondering why they would want to write with me. It just seems like they are in a higher league.

Sexy, I doubt anyone is ever disappointed from writing with you. He kisses her cheek.

But you know, you shouldn't feel upset even if you find that things don't work out with your co-writer. You know well how things happen, and sometimes people don't agree on how they want the story to progress, or how they interpret characters. It's nothing anyone should feel inadequate about, it's just creative differences. He nods.

I know what you mean. And I take pride in the fact that of all the stories I've written here, only one was ended by my decision. But that brings up another thought. Is it possible, do you think, that a co-writer would drop a story thread because my posts are too long? If I sometimes feel like I'm intimidated by a writer I admire, then are other people intimidated by me, enough to drop the thread? I've had a lot of stories, but at this point, most have ended, unfinished. I only have a few now, and some of them are ones just recently started.

Nonsense, dearest.
If anything you are the best sort of writer, the kind I'd actually like to be more like!
You're instinctive, the words just flow and that, my dear, is talent.
It can't be taught it's just...there! You either have it or you don't.
You do. In spades! :rose:

Now, no more of this 'don't belong here' silliness, please :kiss:

*Hugs my sister.* That's a good way to describe it I suppose. Instinctive. I can remember only one time that I really focused on my use of words on purpose, and that was when I was playing a foreign exchange student from France in a chat role play. I deliberately used more formal English, to portray that she would have learned English from a textbook and school lessons rather then be exposed to slang and local dialect.

Pretty much every other time, I just give the character expression, sort of 'becoming' them in the story.

But I promise, no more of not belonging just because I feel different. :eek:

I know what you mean. And I take pride in the fact that of all the stories I've written here, only one was ended by my decision. But that brings up another thought. Is it possible, do you think, that a co-writer would drop a story thread because my posts are too long? If I sometimes feel like I'm intimidated by a writer I admire, then are other people intimidated by me, enough to drop the thread? I've had a lot of stories, but at this point, most have ended, unfinished. I only have a few now, and some of them are ones just recently started.

Shrugs.

That's certainly possible. I mean, I've lost interest in a story before where my co-writer basically wrote me into a corner, but it was because she was more talented than I was with her characterizations. I couldn't find a way to move the story forward to my satisfaction, since she was writing the pants off of me and I couldn't keep up. And I've had someone tell ME that they didn't feel like they could keep up with my writing-but then, I feel like that was a nice way of telling me they'd lost interest in the story.

I've actually had tremendous problems keeping story threads going. Even the ones where the writing is going great back and forth, with good writing and good chemisty, I end up losing my co-writer, or one of us begs off of the story. Stuff happens. I'm not the best co-writer, since I sometimes disappear for a week without much warning.
shrugs again.

I like your writing style. It's less about the words and more about the feeling behind them. I know you mean what you write, it is very tactile, very conscious. But then, I'm not into the finer details of crafting great pieces of prose.

*Hugs my sister.* That's a good way to describe it I suppose. Instinctive. I can remember only one time that I really focused on my use of words on purpose, and that was when I was playing a foreign exchange student from France in a chat role play. I deliberately used more formal English, to portray that she would have learned English from a textbook and school lessons rather then be exposed to slang and local dialect.

Pretty much every other time, I just give the character expression, sort of 'becoming' them in the story.

But I promise, no more of not belonging just because I feel different. :eek:

Hugs tightly and kisses beautiful elven cheeks

Good, glad we're agreed.

You're an amazing writer. Just because you approach your writing in a different way doesn't make you any more or less of a writer than anyone else here.

Very few of us get to do this for a living, even if there are a fair few who probably could. We write because we love it and as long as you love what you're writing and who you're writing it with...that's all that matters :rose:

Hugs tightly and kisses beautiful elven cheeks

Good, glad we're agreed.

You're an amazing writer. Just because you approach your writing in a different way doesn't make you any more or less of a writer than anyone else here.

Very few of us get to do this for a living, even if there are a fair few who probably could. We write because we love it and as long as you love what you're writing and who you're writing it with...that's all that matters :rose:

The lady that speaks the Queen's Language is CORRECT!!!!!! Even if she speaks if funny, and lives on a strange island where there may be Druids! AAAHHHH.

Plus, Brit.. have you ever met Jeremy Clarkson. I want to meet him someday. And James May. And Hamster.

Okay, I might have watched too much Top Gear, and it wasn't all for the cars.

The lady that speaks the Queen's Language is CORRECT!!!!!! Even if she speaks if funny, and lives on a strange island where there may be Druids! AAAHHHH.

Plus, Brit.. have you ever met Jeremy Clarkson. I want to meet him someday. And James May. And Hamster.

Okay, I might have watched too much Top Gear, and it wasn't all for the cars.

Richard Hammond, yes. He started his career in my local radio station, I knew him way back when...
The others no, at least, not yet ;)
And Top Gear is awesome. Not a great car fan but I love that show!

Oh and by the way, it's not the Druids you want to watch out for...

lowers voice

...it's the witches

:D

Richard Hammond, yes. He started his career in my local radio station, I knew him way back when...
The others no, at least, not yet ;)
And Top Gear is awesome. Not a great car fan but I love that show!

Oh and by the way, it's not the Druids you want to watch out for...

lowers voice

...it's the witches

:D

As if we need any reminding of who to watch.

Or was that watch out for?

Gee... I guess I wont complement you again soon.

Well, maybe I can forgive you this time.

Oh... I need to reply to one other very patient co writer, then I will give you more posts to ponder.

Awww, I didn't realise it was a compliment, think I read it wrong :eek:
Sorry...

adds a kiss to cheek

And posts are always lovely to have...am hoping to have a post or two for you before long too :D

LT ~ Two posts down, another couple to go...then two new threads to think about...it's so nice to be almost caught up... :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back