"To keep the review thread clean..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fly
thank you clarifying this ... I used the incorrect rhetoric when I expressed my feelings with the word ignorance. Yes you are correct it is a closed society and I understood this fully when we ventured there. I was not expecting much at all only to "feel" something from the land that they have settled on. According to Hopi history they wandered for many years before settling there and I wanted to "feel" or experience the land as a way of understanding the why of that space.

My experience on the human level just shocked me in the fact that it bore for me a mirroring of the tension both in Iraq as you pointed out but also with the Holy City. It seems that at times those who are at their wisest fall victim to the "cultural tensions" that you speak of. This is what I was referring to when I stated ignorance or maybe it would be better put as clouded. I only felt sad that this tension existed and so many lose out on the strength of the spiritual messages that may be helpful in solving some of the tensions of this universe....
blessings
Du

WSO
so understand I hope that this Xmas will find the truth of the miracle within your realm
Du~

flyguy69 said:
Ha! I doubt that any of the folks you met would characterize it as ignorance! The Hopi and the Diné know each other well. But is it illustrative of cultural tension across the world, which we all hope could be reduced with understanding. There is probably a lesson there for us regarding Iraq: much of the tension results from the imposition of law and boundaries by the U.S. gov't.

Hopi society, in particular Hopi religious society, is very closed. It will take great persistence if you hope to learn things there that are not in books. Good luck.

Oh I don't think you are wrong, Du. I think you are right on. But the folks involved in conflict never believe themselves ignorant. And i share your sadness for the distraction from much more important and beautiful pastimes.
Du Lac said:
Fly
thank you clarifying this ... I used the incorrect rhetoric when I expressed my feelings with the word ignorance. Yes you are correct it is a closed society and I understood this fully when we ventured there. I was not expecting much at all only to "feel" something from the land that they have settled on. According to Hopi history they wandered for many years before settling there and I wanted to "feel" or experience the land as a way of understanding the why of that space.

My experience on the human level just shocked me in the fact that it bore for me a mirroring of the tension both in Iraq as you pointed out but also with the Holy City. It seems that at times those who are at their wisest fall victim to the "cultural tensions" that you speak of. This is what I was referring to when I stated ignorance or maybe it would be better put as clouded. I only felt sad that this tension existed and so many lose out on the strength of the spiritual messages that may be helpful in solving some of the tensions of this universe....
blessings
Du

WSO
so understand I hope that this Xmas will find the truth of the miracle within your realm
Du~

NEW VIRUS WARNING !

I am subscribed to this thread and although none of you know me I feel it is my duty to do as instructed and pass this information on. I work for British Petroleum (BP) and this morning I received the following email from their headquarters -:

VERY IMPORTANT WARNING

This is not a joke!

Please Be Extremely Careful especially if using internet mail such as Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL and so on. This information arrived this morning direct from both Microsoft and Norton.

Please send it to everybody you know who has access to the Internet.

You may receive an apparently harmless email with a Power Point presentation "Life is beautiful."

If you receive it DO NOT OPEN THE FILE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, and delete it immediately. If you open this file, a message will
appear on your screen saying:

"It is too late now, your life is no longer beautiful."

Subsequently you will LOSE EVERYTHING IN YOUR PC and the person who sent it to you will gain access to your name, e-mail and
password.

This is a new virus which started to circulate on Saturday afternoon.
AOL has already confirmed the severity, and the antivirus software's are
not capable of destroying it.

The virus has been created by a hacker who calls himself "life owner."

PLEASE SEND A COPY OF THIS EMAIL TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS and ask
them to
PASS IT ON IMMEDIATELY

Gaia_Lorraine said:
Please Be Extremely Careful especially if using internet mail such as Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL and so on. This information arrived this morning direct from both Microsoft and Norton.
Letter from Microsoft:
"Hi! We're writing to tell you that some Wunderkind hacker has figured out a way to completely wreck the software we've spent 12 1/2 billion dollars developing..."
Yeah, OK.
First sign that it's complete bullshit: 'information arrived direct from Microsoft".
Not likely, McGee.

Luv2PleasureF said:
Letter from Microsoft:
"Hi! We're writing to tell you that some Wunderkind hacker has figured out a way to completely wreck the software we've spent 12 1/2 billion dollars developing..."
Yeah, OK.
First sign that it's complete bullshit: 'information arrived direct from Microsoft".
Not likely, McGee.
BP made £59 billion last year. What that is in $ I will let you work it out. Somehow I think Microsoft might have a quiet word in their ear.

BUT NO! Go ahead, open it!

Just a quick thanks to those who commented on my poem The Way the Story Ended. I want to include it with a group of poems I've been working on for a while for a chapbook submission, so I was interested in how folks would react. I got some very good advice from you all--especially Anna, who gave a small suggestion that makes a big improvement. I was afraid when I saw its location--buried in a long list of submissions--that I wouldn't get any feedback, but I did and that's much appreciated.

:rose:

Angeline said:
Just a quick thanks to those who commented on my poem The Way the Story Ended. I want to include it with a group of poems I've been working on for a while for a chapbook submission, so I was interested in how folks would react. I got some very good advice from you all--especially Anna, who gave a small suggestion that makes a big improvement. I was afraid when I saw its location--buried in a long list of submissions--that I wouldn't get any feedback, but I did and that's much appreciated.

Hey! I read that poem, voted and left a comment. I was just there to read it again and my comment is gone. Now with all these voting problems going on, I don't know what to do. Hmmm

I don't want to screw anything up so I'll just say it was an outstanding read, Ange.

saldne said:
Hey! I read that poem, voted and left a comment. I was just there to read it again and my comment is gone. Now with all these voting problems going on, I don't know what to do. Hmmm

I don't want to screw anything up so I'll just say it was an outstanding read, Ange.

Thanks Saldne--I felt good about it when I wrote it. You know when you feel like you've expressed something just the way you want?

Anna made this great suggestion to get the two words "I did" off the line by itself--that way "I burned the house down" is the only part that stands alone--makes it more powerful. Good advice.

And I forgot to thank Ishtat and PoeTess, who both recommended it. :)

:heart:

wildsweetone said:
Symantec Security Response to Life is Beautiful Virus

Hoax
Hoaxes usually arrive in the form of an email. Please disregard the hoax emails - they contain bogus warnings usually intent only on frightening or misleading users. The best course of action is to merely delete these hoax emails.

THANK YOU!!

A) Anything Microsoft (or any company, for that matter) would circulate on that large a level would be better written, have correct grammar, and not include scurrilous slander. If you work for BP, you know the leaden language of office memos. This is not that language.

B) It's completely impossible for any program, virus, or spyware to make you "lose everything on your PC". as much as Micro$oft's product is crap, it's not THAT crap. The worst any virus can do to your computer, ever, is take down your Internet connection briefly and add entries to your registry. That's it. That's all. Viruses were written to allow users in #irc channels to direct your computer to make DDoS attacks or relay spam email; movies have reeaaalllly overestimated how much damage "hackers" can do to a home PC. If your PC is a work PC, then you have controls you don't even know about on your whole department, and nothing of that nature would ever come remotely close to breaking through your company firewall. Also, you don't have user-level access to any of those functions on your PC (Add/remove Programs, Disable Virus checker, etc etc.) Viruses on the business level target servers, not drone PC's used by employees.

C.)More importantly, for your own peace of mind, please always check things like this (and claims of tsunami victim charities, lost little angels, etc etc) through this most excellent of all websites: www.snopes.com . Put any copy & pasted line from your email into the Search box and it will return the story if it is a hoax. It's also a great source of urban legends and other neat info. Terrific, fun site.

Last year we had a poet claiming to have written a poem about drunk drivers, and i ran it through Snopes as it sounded familiar. Sure enough, it was plagiarized, had been hugely plagiarized on many sites and via chain emails. I sent an email to the authour and to Laurel and sure enough, the authour responded and the poem was removed.

Don't let the media scare you. Do a little research, don't believe anything you read on the internet unless it comes from a source you trust completely, and even then run it through Google to see what turns up. This sounds mean, but honestly, as a former network admin, I have seen these stupid hoaxes turn a department into bedlam for days on end, and people freaking out over nothing - i just want to save you the hassle.

/end nerd rant

Last edited:
mojo_cat said:
THANK YOU!!

A) Anything Microsoft (or any company, for that matter) would circulate on that large a level would be better written, have correct grammar, and not include scurrilous slander. If you work for BP, you know the leaden language of office memos. This is not that language.
/end nerd rant

I have been educated tonight by you guys on LIT, united you are an immense force.
From a different thread I received thus -:

Originally Posted by keiffers
sorry dude, that's a hoax that's been floating around the internet for years - since atleast 2002 from what i found on the following website

http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/lifevirus.html

My reply -:
Thank You!
And I really mean it!
Assholes think they know better yea?
This asshole is about to fight back (covertly)
:)

I have emailed :)

Thanks to My Erotic Tale

My Erotic Tale said:
Monday New Poem Reviews

blue rains is on a two week vacation so here are the reviews for monday...

I want to run (version 2) by wildsweetone[/color][/url] bound by curiosity and unable to run, wild enchants us with this witty write.

today in the cafe by MNRider

She sang songs in the cafe...in a poetic way

Life, it must be structured by Lady Malachite this poem is for those that can not accept any thing but perfectly written literature. <grin>

reminds me of my wife that would not ride in a pick-up truck because 'it is for the uncivilized', all the way till the wrecker driver let her out of the passenger seat and un-hooked her car one day <bigrin>

there are a few more poems in the new poems list today but these stood out and captured my intrest above the rest. Read / comment and feedback....

Thank you for reading and offering for the board, "Today in the Cafe".

Deleted, my post was tossed in the trash during a cleaning and then found, making this one redundant.

Last edited:
Thanks for the mention in New Poems thread, Tristesse (Frigid but not like dolf)

Also much thanks to those who take the time to read and comment on my crap time after time. :kiss:

Tristesse said:
Saldne’s Life In The Face Of Death is a bit prose-y and the relationships of the family members mentioned confuses me.
Should the first line be “She lives with my Gram”?
I like the line “hoagie odor underarms” – very descriptive, I’ve never had a hoagie and now I don't think I want to. :)

Thanks, Tristesse for the mention. I can understand why anyone would be confused. This one wasn't easy. I should've left out the last lines to make it less confusing.

but better yet...

I got so frustrated today that I went and deleted all my poetry again. It should be gone in a few days. They're fucking pathetic and depressing, anyway.

And to think someone wrote me today and said, "Just want to say thank you for touching my life. I can so identify with most of what you write, however bland it might sound, it feels like most of your thoughts have been taken straight out of my mind - even as far down as from my subconcious. Whoever you are and wherever your writings come from, thank you." I couldn't believe it!

I think it's time to call it quits!

Last edited by a moderator:
saldne said:
Thanks, Tristesse for the mention. I can understand why anyone would be confused. This one wasn't easy. I should've left out the last lines to make it less confusing.

but better yet...

I got so frustrated today that I went and deleted all my poetry again. It should be gone in a few days. They're fucking pathetic and depressing, anyway.

And to think someone wrote me today and said, "Just want to say thank you for touching my life. I can so identify with most of what you write, however bland it might sound, it feels like most of your thoughts have been taken straight out of my mind - even as far down as from my subconcious. Whoever you are and wherever your writings come from, thank you." I couldn't believe it!

I think it's time to call it quits!

I disagree with your decision to quit for the reasons you give but do what you feel is right for you. best of luck.

re Requiem and Celebration

Two points.

First, thank you for the helpful comments made by The Rain Man Angeline and Le Broz with respect to Requiem and Celebration posted on Monday 12th December.

Second I received three unanswerable messages that indicated some readers were distressed by the description of physical breakdown in the first part of the poem.It was not my intention to upset anybody. I regret that outcome.

I hope that those readers understand that this was a biographical piece in which the voice of the character indicates that she rises above her physical end through her mental and emotional strength. :)

Ishtat

Stella_Omega said:
My very first post in the poetry forum!
And it had better be my last post of the night, in any forum... :)

What you hope to get out of your time at lit
I have never considered myself a poetry writer, but I'm proud of my prose skills.
But, I've had two sonnets- sort of happen to me. And it was suggested that one of them could grow into a complete cycle. I'm willing to try it.
And I notice that- in this sonnet, i was able to talk about some non-tangibles- things that I can't write about in my stories, which are immediate and physical. That's a very exciting thought.

What do I hope to contribute to the poetry community at literotica? What role do I see yourself playing here?
I am passionate about writing, and love watching other writers change and grow- as, I hope, I do myself.

How would you describe your writing?
Eclectic; I write in traditional tones but I feature outrageous subjects.
My work is always consensual, no matter what horrible things my characters are doing- it's always clear that they are enjoying their play, and everyone will respect each other in the morning.
URL to my work at lit
http://english.literotica.com/stories/memberpage.php?uid=543078&page=submissions

(edited to add this question back into the post- very important!)
level of critique I am looking for
I am trying to write in a classic form. i want a little hand-holding while I pick an dchoose among available words- and, if possible, someone who can keep me in line as far as the meter is concerned. Sometimes, I can't hear it at all.
I hope to find feedback as to my message- is it coming through, or are you scratching your head in bafflement?
And, of course, if it seems that I'm utterly wasting time... Bring on the custard pies! :cool: (end of edit)

I write a lot of sonnets and I break a lot of rules most of the time when I do. But if I want to make sure I get the meter right, I repeat some of my favorite Shakespearian sonnets in my head and then test my lines against them. If the stressed/unstressed pattern sounds the same I know I've got it.

Maybe you do that all ready. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back