"The Shieldmaiden" (closed)

Gareth stalked away from Ilga, not looking back. He had to admit though that he was surprised that she did not stop him. He headed swiftly towards the guest house where he had first met Ilga, where he assumed he could find Gora.

He walked in and immediately saw her. Before she turned away he saw the bruise on her face. He rushed to her, his hands on her shoulders turning her gently to face him. His fingers were gentle as he lifted her face to better examine the injury. He knew immediately who had caused such an injury. “I came for you.” He said simply. He suddenly realized how silly he sounded, had sounded to Ilga. He had forgotten both his place and Gora’s place. He realized how foolish it was to take a newly pregnant woman on a sea voyage. He also realized that taking Gora along would put him at odds with Ilga for Ilga no longer saw a purpose for the young woman with her sexual favors either unavailable or only available to Gareth.

He gulped and cleared his throat. “What I mean is, I could not leave without speaking to you first. I know it’s better for you to stay here. As much as I want you to come with me to well start a family in the new lands.” She looked surprised at his words, yet he soldiered on, “You would be safer here. I don’t have much to give you; I will not be here to help raise our child.” He looked down at that regret evident in his words, “But I can offer you something.”

“What is that my lord?” she asked sounding confused.

“Your freedom.” He said softly. Her eyes widened. “Yes, I’m serious.” He said at her startled look. “It’s the least I can do. I will be sure that my family is alerted, and will be sure that the lady Ilga is made aware. You are welcome to then make your choice as a free woman, you can stay here, where it’s safe, or you can ask the lady Ilga to come with us as a free woman. I know I was just a duty, a job for you, I know that I care for you more than I should, probably more than you ever did for me, so I leave the choice of your future in your hands.” Gareth had no sooner voiced all that when his plan was broken apart by Gora, who countered his plan with the logic. She was not his to free. He nodded at her suggestion that he could make a deal with Ilga to free her. "I will do that then my lady."

Rising to his feet Gareth walked back to the docks, stopping at his parent’s home to inform them of the probable changes in Gora’s status. Gareth then marched right up to Ilga where he glared down at her. “If I hit women willingly I would lay you low for what you did to her.” He snarled. He didn’t know what made him so bold, it was not really like him. In this moment he was not the shy man she had met. “I thought you should know I seek to free her and leave the choice as to her future up to her. So, if she comes to the ship to ask to join our party you had best let her, if you expect me to still accompany you willingly. If she does not come then I know she chose to raise her child here, safe with my family., either way though I would see her free."

Last edited:
The_gladiator said:
“But I can offer you something.”

Alice2015 said:
“What is that my lord?”

“Your freedom.”

Gora's eyes widened with shock. She'd been a servant -- barely a rung above simply slave -- for so long that the thought of being a free woman had never even dawned on her. She listened to Gareth explain what he was going to do for her, then said, "You do not have the right to free me, m'lord. I belong to m'lady, Ilga. Only she can free me."

They discussed options before Gareth departed to make arrangements, and once he was gone, Gora began sobbing once more. This time from pure joy and happiness. She was no longer going to be a slave, assuming Ilga accepted Gareth's terms. But more than that, she was going to bear a child for a man that -- even after just a few days -- who she had already come to love in a way she had never thought possible.

Ilga listened to Gareth's declaration about hitting women with a slight smirk on her face ... and her hand upon the hilt of her sword. She was very impressed with his boldness but wondered, of course, just how well built was the foundation under that new strong attitude.

"Rollo...?" Ilga said softly to a nearby Clansman while her gaze remained upon the brave lad. "What would happen to Young Gareth here if he was to ... how did you put it, lay me low?"

Without hesitation, the big Viking pulled his massive sword and hung it near his powerful leg. "He would be gutted like a pig and fed to the dogs ... all but his head, which I would carry around in a sack on my hip for all to see and remember."

Ilga's expression didn't change through the man's violent response. She didn't want a fight with Gareth, of course. But she did want to remind him of who was in charge, regardless of whether the Gods had equipped that person with a cock or a gash.

"You want Gora to be free...?" she asked, turning to look at Rollo and gesture him to sheath his weapon and return to loading the boat. "I will free her ... and I will leave it to her to decide whether or not she comes with us or stays here. But ... I will require a favor from you. It will be something you will likely not want to do ... but you will do it?"

She gave him a moment, then cocked her head and asked, "Agreed?"

Last edited:
Gareth suddenly realized the precarious ground he was standing upon, as Ilga and the large Viking put their hands near weapons. Gareth was armed of course, but to say he was inept at weapon’s use was an understatement. He soldiered on though; he knew that Ilga would not respect supplication, especially since he started out strong. He was not sure what it could be that she would demand of him; however he figured it would be a small price to pay to free Gora.

“You have already asked me to leave my home, my family, and my friends and my way of life, where I am standing you have already asked me to do things I will not like. What is one more? You have a deal.” And the young man extended his hand to shake on it.

Ilga looked down at Gareth's offered hand for a moment, then -- as she took it in her own -- asked, "Will you be coming with us, Gora?"

"If Gareth wishes it, m'lady," the former servant said from behind the young noble. When he looked back to her, she asked, "Do you wish it, m'lord?"

It was just short of midday when the Oarsmen took their places and, with a pole push from the dock, began guiding the boats out into the fjord. Back on the shore, it seemed as if every man, woman, and child left behind was standing on the dock and beach, waving and cheering and -- in some cases -- weeping openly.

Ilga stood near the tiller of the Crimson Maiden, chatting with Rollo who would pilot the larger of the two boats out to the open sea. She looked back to the smaller boat which -- although it had pulled away second -- was obviously going to overtake the larger, slower boat before they left the bay. She blew a kiss to Ragnan, who reached down to cup his groin, making her laugh.

When she turned to look forward once more and met Gareth's gaze, she wondered whether the young noble for whom she yearned so horribly had asked around about Ragnan. Had he learned that the big Viking was Lothbrook's half-brother? Had he learned that Ragnan and Ilga had been lovers almost since the day she'd also become Lothbrook's lover? Those were two thing that could be learned if one was to ask the right people, particularly after a stein of rich mead.

There was one other thing about Ragnan and Ilga, but that would be impossible for Young Gareth to learn for others, because Ilga was the only one who knew it. That was that once the mighty, powerful Viking had helped secure the settlement in the Western Lands, he would die ... and that favor that Ilga wanted from Gareth. Well, that would be it: killing the bastard.

Gareth shook his head, “As much as I want the lady Gora to accompany us, It will be better for her and her child if she stays here.” There was regret in his voice, as he came face to face with the burdens of leadership for the first time. He had to make the decision not based on what he wanted but what was best for her and for Ilga’s party. Gora looked saddened for she was starting to feel close to the young Gareth. “Perhaps I will return to you some time my lady.” He said softly hand resting on her arm.

She fled down the ships ramp to hide her tears of mixed emotions, the joy of being free, and the confusion of Gareth’s actions. Gareth felt his stomach sink as he turned to regard Ilga. He opened his mouth as if to say something and then shrugged and walked off to watch the men who were rigging the single sail which would be the only relief the 10 oarsmen would get from their duties.

He let his eyes sweep out and over. He could see Ragnan, the newcomer he knew very little about other than some of the rumors some of Ilga’s drunken soldiers had told him. He was rumored to be her lover. If that was so, he was curious why she had made moves on him or suggested she wanted to. That had all gotten confused by Gora’s presence. He still had an attraction to Ilga, but it was now confused with feelings of Gora, feelings that he had made even more complicated by sending her away so abruptly.

He soon felt the boat on its way. He Looked back to see Ilga watching him. He was still so unsure what he thought of her, at times he was attracted to her, at others he was angry for how she’d treated Gora. There was a part of him that wished she’d never sent the girl to him and complicated his life so. It was some time later when, not having anything else to do Gareth found himself volunteering to pass out food that the women below had gotten out of stores. He was the one to approach Ilga. “M’lady, your dinner.” He said quietly.

Ilga's mind was far off and away, even further from the boat than the horizon upon which she'd been staring for an unknown amount of time. It had been two years since she'd been in the Western Lands -- Northumberland, the locals has called it -- and, just as with her own home, many things can change in two years.

In two years, she'd gone from being the very influential daughter of the Earl but still little more than a well respected Shieldmaiden to the Earl herself, assuming that title could be applied to a gash. Ilga had never known of a female leader before, so she didn't know what kind of title to give herself. That was why she had none. The others -- men and women alike -- simply called her M'lady, and that seemed to suffice.

“M’lady, your dinner.” He said quietly.

Ilga turned to find Gareth offering out a wooden bowl. She smiled, both for the offering and for the coincidence of her considering the title and the young man speaking it at her. She had a sudden flashback to a recent dream in which she'd been making deeply passionate love, only to awake and find that her lover was in fact fondling her between her thighs, wishing to wet her for his own pleasure.

She looked off into the gray world about her quickly, her brain suddenly calling out Where's Ragnan? Of course, deep in the recesses of her mind, Ilga was more worried about the boat, its contents, and its passengers than the man at its helm. Ragnan was little more than a tool to Ilga. He was well respected amongst the other Warriors, much more so than had been his now deceased half-brother, Lothbrook.

With Ragnan and those who would follow him anywhere, Ilga was fairly certain that they could take on what ever English force came to meet them. Without the man, things were questionable. Ilga didn't want a fight, of course, which was the reason for Gareth. As she thanked him for the meal and carefully took the fire warmed bowl, she looked him over in his heavier cold weather clothing and remembered about her reasons for having him here, Well, that and other things.

Gareth's feelings about Ilga's own feelings about him may have been uncertain, but Ilga's weren't: she was going to lay with him at some point and enjoy the pleasures that a gentler, more intelligent, and hopefully more loving man could offer. Gareth didn't know this, of course -- for Ilga had forbade it -- but each morning after an evening with the young lord, Gora had returned to the Guest House to find herself commanded to tell Ilga all about it. They talked about it like a couple of giggling friends, not a Mistress and her Indentured Servant.

The details became very intimate, at times very erotic, with the questions from the Shieldmaiden becoming more and more ... well, at times, intrusive. Ilga would chuckle when she saw the younger woman becoming uncomfortable, telling her with a big inviting smile, "It is okay, Gora. I am your friend, as well as your Lady."

Gora had wanted to talk to someone about her affair with Gareth, and as Ilga had been the only resident of the Guest House with whom she could talk of such things, they spent nearly every morning huddled near the roaring fire, sharing their breakfast like equals while the occasionally blushing servant described what Gareth did to her, emotionally and physically both.

The result, of course, was that Ilga now wanted the young man even more than just after she'd killed her current lover, when all she'd been looking for was a cock to force inside her and a mouth to force against her sensitive flesh. She was now entranced with the Young Gareth and the things he might be able to do for her in the dark of the night ... or hell, in the light of the day, who cared?

Ilga pulled a chunk of cold meat from the bowl and bit off a piece. It had been freshly cooked this morning before setting sail, and it would be the last fresh meat she'd eat until they arrived in the Western Lands in four days. She chewed it for a moment as she studied the man swaying with the roll of the boat upon the sea. She shoved the bite full into one cheek and said, "That was a difficult decision, Young Gareth. I commend you for doing the right thing."

Ilga had reservations about whether it had been the right thing for Gareth and Gora or the right thing for Gareth and herself, but she didn't voice them, of course. It would have been harder to begin an affair with the young man when his pregnant wife -- and eventually mother of his child -- expected him to return to her in their own tent at night, rather than go to the Lady's tent and fuck until exhausted and asleep.

Gareth merely shrugged at Ilga’s praise. “I don’t know if it was the right decision.” He wanted to tell her his confusion over his feelings, but he was a male, he was not supposed to have such feelings. Besides she was not really his friend, with his feelings for her still so confused. He let his eyes search hers, asking for, demanding the truth. “I’ll never see her again, will I?”

“I’ll never see her again, will I?”

Ilga hesitated before answering. She wasn't above lying to comfort someone. She'd done it often with her critically injured Warriors or Shieldmaidens following battles; or with gravely ill Clansmen struck down by illness or accidents. But then, she didn't feel she needed to comfort the man either, as she said quite seriously, "I do not believe that, Gareth. Once we've established the settlement ... created a stable colony ... we will send for our loved ones. You may yet see your son."

The assumption was, of course, that he would have a son. It was always the assumption for a man who had or may one day have wealth to hand down to a child. No one wanted a daughter, of course. What value had a female child? It wasn't like she grow up to be leader of a Clan about to settle a new land or anything.

Ilga looked off to the west, in the direction of their destination. The sun was gone and the last remnants of its color would be gone soon also. She looked to the stern, to the man at the tiller, and commanded, "Set the watch!"

Over the next few minutes, Warriors who had been sleeping below would be roused to take over the bow watch, as well as the tiller, which also acted as a stern watch. It wasn't as if there were a great many dangers out here in the middle of the Western Sea. There were no pirates, as there were along the European shore they'd only just left. And the only fierce Vikings out here were on these two boats.

But, it was still early in the spring, and while it was rare, ice bergs had sometimes made it this far south before melting away. Occasionally there was the large fallen tree that had miraculously been washed out to sea and hadn't yet become water logged enough to sink to the bottom.

More than anything, thought, the watches' purpose was to ensure that the boats stayed together. Ilga still remembered the ill fated raiding mission of a few years ago in which only three of twelve boats leaving the Western Shores of Denmark arrived together in the Western Lands. Yes, there had been a fierce storm that had tossed the ships about. But if proper watches had been set, she was convinced that many more of the boats would have made it to the distant destination.

"You should get some rest," Ilga told Gareth with a sincere tone of concern. "The voyage is only three ... maybe four days ... but by the time we get there, you will feel as if you have been on the Sea for a life time. Find a comfortable spot between a pair of meaty women. They'll keep you warm, Young Gareth."

She smirked a bit, wondering whether he would take her advice and take comfort in the arms of another woman -- or two -- so soon after leaving the side of the woman who was likely carrying his child.

Gareth was not sure what answer he had expected Ilga to give him. He had suspected she would say that they would not see them again. However the answer was that he might indeed see her and his child again. Although he knew there was a lot that could happen between now and then. Part of that was explained as she went on to tell him he should get some sleep and that the voyage would only take a few days. Despite all of their meetings, he had gotten the impression that the voyage would take much more time than just a mere few days, especially when most of it would be done on oars.

He shrugged at her suggestion, pretty sure he would do no such thing, realizing that he still did not know how to feel about the woman he’d already been with. He was coming to realize that what he had had with Gora was sex, and sex did not translate to true emotional connection, did it? He truthfully knew nothing about Gora. He did not know her history, her favorite foods, her hopes and dreams. He knew her touch, how she made him feel, how to make her body react, however as intimate as that had been it was really not as much as he thought it had been.

He gave a short nod to Ilga and headed below deck, to try to sleep as he had been ordered, however he doubted he would sleep well. Even though he was technically a Viking just as Ilga, he had never spent much time on a boat, and never one this far out to sea, and he honestly felt a tad sea sick.

(OOC: I can't seem to recall naming the other boat, so let's make it the Dragon's Breath.)

The early evening went without major incident. The Warriors, Shieldmaidens, Servants, and slaves had rowed in shifts during the daylight hours when the wind had been against them, but shortly after Gareth had retired to the hold, the winds had both shifted and accelerated favorable. By the time Ilga's eyes betrayed her and forced her also to sleep, the Crimson Maiden was clipping along at what was for the age an impressive 10 knots. Despite her larger size and deeper draft, she was able to keep up with the smaller Dragon's Breath which had been built twenty years earlier and had a less efficient hydrodynamic design.

Ilga made her way down into the hold through the hatch near the middle of the boat. It reeked already, of vomit, sweaty bodies, and animal dung and urine. Ilga considered the differences between a colonization mission and a raiding mission, the latter of which would not have included all of these women, children, and stock animals. And despite the retched odor, she couldn't help but be happy to be sailing west with all of this extra load.

She turned aft, away from the mostly women and children, toward the door that led to her personal quarters. It wasn't much as far as size went: if she laid down with her arms spread eagle, her head touch the rear of the compartment, her boots the door, and her finger tips the curved port and starboard bulkheads. It was already cramped before she even entered it, with half a dozen small children and three women already asleep on the soft, straw mattress.

One of the women, a servant, stirred and whispered, "I can move them out now, m'lady."

Ilga waved her off. "No. Let them sleep."

She'd never asked for this sort of special quartering in the first place. It had been Gareth's father's idea. And while Ilga knew she would never sleep here while the Warriors and Shieldmaidens slept on hard reed mats spread across the ribs of the boat's keel, she had thanked the Earl and vowed to sleep well.

She gathered a hooded cape from a deer hide case and left, returning to carefully walk hunched over through the sometimes still, sometimes milling bodies dispersed amongst the supplies and stock animals. She found the place she wanted to lay down, fluffed out the cape before her -- over Gareth -- and laid down close to him, her back and buttocks to his front side...

(Ooc: you named it the Dragon’s heart, see post 21.)

Gareth had fallen into a fitful sleep when he felt something draped over him and a warm body snuggle against him. He had gotten used to Gora sleeping with him these past few nights so slid his arm around Ilga in his sleep. He pulled her closer to him murmuring in his sleep. She could feel his body’s arousal in his sleep pressing to her bottom. Her hair tickled against his face, but it was also something that Gora’s did so he did not wake. He could very well be in for a big surprise when he woke up though.

Ilga had been fully prepared for Gareth's awakening and shock -- if not anger -- at her familiarity with him. When, instead, he remained in his fitful sleep and pulled her tightly into his body, Ilga only smiled and molded herself into his clutches. There might be some giggling and whispers in the morning from the Clansmen about with whom their Lady kept warm, but it would only be playful banter. All throughout the hold, men and women who were not couples were close to one another -- often with a child as well -- desperate to stay warm in the early spring night.

Of course, it was unlikely that too many of these survival couplings was causing the male of the joining to suddenly grow down below. Gareth's erection was easily noticed against Ilga's buttocks, and with a devilish smile on her lips, she shifted against him to lay his rather nicely sized shaft firmly between the cheeks of her tightly trousered ass. She waited to see if that would wake Gareth, but his only reaction was to press it slightly into the comfortable, warm crevice before drifting off into a deeper sleep.

Ironically, it was last to sleep, first to wake for the pair. Before the sun had even begun its rise from the direction of their homeland, Ilga awoke to unexpected stillness, accented by an occasional hissing sound. She knew what that meant, of course, and knew that she had to get topside.

As her eyes focused in the dark of the hold, she found herself turned toward Gareth, her head upon his chest and his arm around her shoulders. She sat up slowly and looked into his peaceful face, lightly illuminated by the single candle lantern dangling from the overhead. He still looked a bit green about the gills, as the fishermen would say, but at least he was sleeping.

Ilga was tempted to wake him, but more than surely enjoying the surprise in his face when he saw her, Ilga needed to know what was going on topside ... or, more specifically, what wasn't.

When she emerged through the hatch, it was just as she'd feared. The sea was a sheet of glass, with not a hint of wind to fill the sail. She was about to ask why the Oarsmen weren't hard at work when the man at the tiller shook his head and said, "The Dragon's Heart is gone, m'lady."

She looked about the sea, searching in every direction, but there was no sign of the other boat. She looked to the front of the Crimson Maiden and commanded, "Again!"

An archer at the bow lowered the end of an oversized bow to a small flame burning in a whale oil bowl, causing the wool wrap to explode in flames. He tilted the tip to the sky, drew back the string with a deep grunt of exertion, and loosed the arrow. It sailed up into the still dark sky for several seconds, the special cuts in the shaft causing a whistle sound as it flew. The missile arched over, then descended to the sea, still emitting its call. With no wave action lapping against the boat, Ilga and the others were able to easily hear the flame hiss as it was extinguished in an instant.

All eyes were peeled to the sea in every direction; all ears listened intently for a second whistle or the call of their comrades. There was neither. Ilga suddenly realized that her heart was pounding anxiously. The other boat, despite its smaller size, had almost half the Clan's Warriors and Shieldmaidens aboard it. To lose so much of her fighting force would be devastating to Ilga.

"We wait here," she commanded. She looked to the sun, only just now breaking above the eastern horizon, then looked to Rollo who was now at the tiller. "We wait until noon, when we can get our bearing. Then, we move on."

Rollo nodded, ordering the Oarsmen to store their oars before selecting half of the men and sending them below to sleep. "The rest of you watch for Ragnan. Silence and sharp eyes all."

Ilga moved to stand next to Rollo, whispering, "It's too earlier to lose him."

Rollo, too, understood that like Lothbrook before him, Ragnan was little more than a dead man walking.

Gareth Stirred slowly, and noticed two things, he was covered in a cape that he knew had belonged to Ilga and the second was that the ship was no longer moving. He sat up slowly. He had had a dream that was so vivid he could have sworn it was real. He had started dreaming of Gora but then it had changed to Ilga, and now he awoke with Ilga’s cape draped over him.

He rose and headed up to the main deck. After dumping the bucket he had urinated in over the side, he was not confident enough in himself to piss off the rail, he looked for Ilga. He intended on asking her what was going on as well as return the cape to her.

“M’lady.” He said, “What is going on, I heard a screaming sort of whistle noise.” He then looked down at what he held, “I believe this is yours?” he said holding it out, a slightly puzzled expression on his face.

"We lost the Dragon's Breath during the night," she said in almost a whisper, the concern obvious in her voice. So concerned was she that she didn't even pursue a conversation about her cape, a topic that likely would have led to some laughter or flushed faces on someone's part. As she continued to search the horizon, she added, "This shouldn't have happened. Not after just a day of relatively calm seas."

That was true, of course. The only reason for a pair of ships to be so quickly separated was stormy weather, and the previous day and night had been relatively calm.

"We can not gauge our location until high noon," Ilga explained, "So we will remain here and watch. At noon, we can adjust our north-south position as necessary and proceed. We'll either be just behind them, just ahead of them, or -- if the Gods deem it appropriate -- we will find them sitting on the calm water waiting for us with a smile and a fresh caught fish."

She barked some orders -- including another signal arrow -- then turned to look into Gareth's eyes. And now, finally, the little devil inside her rose to the surface. "Did the Gods grant you good dreams in the night, Young Gareth? Pleasing dreams ... stimulating dreams?"

Gareth listened to her words. A frown creased his brow. “I do not know how they could have lost us so easily. The waves were not stormy. Do you suspect treachery?” he asked more seriously. “I will be happy to help navigate if I can. Not that I have a ton of experience, it’s mostly theoretical.” He shrugged.

He watched her give orders, and was glad to see that she kept her cool, she did not over react, he could see most of the women he know freaking out at such a development.

She turned to face him again and he draped the cape around her shoulders, his hands brushing her shoulders briefly, but quickly pulled his hands away. He blushed as she spoke, “I uh, well, they were um,” here he awkwardly laughed, “They were pleasant. Why do you ask? I slept better than I expected to, as sick as I felt before I went to sleep.” He said which was more honest than he should have been, he shouldn’t be so easy to admit weakness.

(OOC: I am stealing a "technology" from HBO's "Vikings", described below.)

The_gladiator said:
“They were pleasant. Why do you ask?"

Ilga wanted to badly to point out that it was she whose ass had made Gareth's dick so comfortably the evening before, but she didn't. She didn't need to: the whispers and giggles that he would hear over the day to come would likely lead to his discovering with whom he'd slept.

Instead, she asked him if he would help the Medicine Woman deal with the growing number of sea sickness cases and sooth those who were becoming anxious about being so far from land. Only the experienced Warriors, Shieldmaidens, and boat slaves had ever been on the sea before, let alone out of sight of land. Ilga knew that as strong as they wanted to appear, her Clansmen would begin to come apart soon, particularly if they learned of the missing boat.

By noon, the entire boat knew of the missing Dragon's Heart. Ilga had been a fool to think she could keep the supposed tragedy a secret. The spouses, lovers, or masters of some were on the other boat, and they were anxious to know whether those men -- and, of course, the women, too -- were likely to still be alive.

Ilga at first tried to calm the women who repeatedly came to her. But she tired of the drama and, in a rage, said she would gut and feed to the Sea the next person who asked her about the Dragon's Heart.

"M'lady," Rollo called from the stern of the boat. When she looked, she found him with his arm raised to the south, holding aloft a small transparent stone. He lowered it and announced, "It is Mid Sun."

Ilga moved to the rear of the boat, where she dipped a bucket into the sea, filling it with cold salt water. She set it upon the tiller keeper's seat, then dropped a round piece of wood into it. In the middle of the disk stood a short peg, and around the peg were several circles, each a bit wider in diameter than the one within it. One circle was colored in a much darker black, and the tip of the shadow of the peg fell directly upon that darker circle.

Ilga stood tall, a pleased expression on her face. She looked to Rollo and said, "Where we should be, my friend."

When she looked to Gareth, it occurred to Ilga that as educated as he may be, the young man who hadn't yet been a sailor might not understand what she was doing. She pointed to the disk and explained, "At Mid Sun ... noon ... back in your village, the shadow ended at the third circle. So long as each Mid Sun the shadow is in the same place, we are on course. If not, we must venture further north of south to get back on our east-west course. In this way, we can get home if we need."

Of course, this trip, Ilga hoped not to have to use the device to return home. The Western Lands -- this England or perhaps the Scot Land -- was to be their home, and Ilga hoped that once they reached the distant shore, she would never need to use the disk again.

The wind had picked up an hour earlier, so Ilga ordered the sail up. Within minutes, the Gods were pushing them west toward their destination...

He had been curious what she was getting at, however she did not respond. He would learn later through rumors perhaps what she was getting at, however. Something he at that time made a mental note to ask her about later, or else feign sleep and see if she came to him again.

He came to these conclusions as she asked him to assist with the crew and the passengers. He nodded and immediately set to work. He held the hands of some of the women, assuring them they would be fine. He administered herbs to others. Giving some teas that would help them sleep off the sea sickness. It was in this process that he learned the rumors, got hints of what had happened, and just how it had come that he had position of her cape. He wondered if perhaps it had to do with the fact that was the only place there was space. He somehow doubted that though.

It was Gareth that Came to Ilga when she exploded screaming at one of the women he had just calmed down. He laid a restraining hand on her arm. “M’lady please, they are all frightened, unsure what to do, please be patient I beg of you.” However she seemed to ignore him, distracted by Rollo’s call.

Gareth followed her curious what she was up to. He soon had his answer. He had never seen the device in action, however he understood in theory how the device worked. He listened to her explanation and nodded. “I will assume that the Dragon’s Heart will also have one of these devices, so separated or not, they have the ability to make it the same way we do.” He said, half question, half reassurance to her. She might not admit it, but he could tell she was nervous.

Ilga hesitated before giving Gareth her response. "Yes ... yes they do. And ... yes they should."

The Shieldmaiden's hesitation had nothing to do with doubt as to Ragnan's ability to navigate. She simply didn't understand what could have happened to the Dragon's Heart. It simply made no sense.

Ilga looked off to the sea again, then turned back to Gareth. She stepped closer, saying, "And thank you."

When he asked why she was thanking him, she explained, "For helping calm my people earlier. I ... I didn't show my appreciation, and that was wrong of me."

She stepped up close enough that her breasts pressed against his chest as she stood on her toes and kissed his cheek. A shift in the boat from a gust caused Ilga to press harder into Gareth and grasp his arms for balance. She laughed, apologized, then turned away to begin barking orders to the men operating the sails.

Ilga tried to ignore Gareth for the rest of the afternoon, but every time he came within view, she found herself studying him with lustful intentions. She'd planned on delaying any form of intimacy with him until they reached the Western Lands, but try as she might, lust was overwhelming the Shieldmaiden and preventing her from concentrating on her duty as Captain of the Crimson Maiden.

As the sun dropped for the second time during the voyage, Ilga had Gareth brought to the stern of the boat. She excused the current tiller man and ordered the Oarsmen in the rear of the boat to go below to get food. Once the two of them were alone, she boldly asked, "If I clear my berth of its current occupants ... will you come to me, Young Gareth."

She seemed unsure about her response. “I am sure that Ragnan is a competent navigator.” He assured her with a nod and a smile. Although he also suspected her worry had less to do with her confidence in Ragnan than her confusion at what could have happened.

As she stepped closer he stiffened just a bit. He could feel her body pressing to him and a bit of that lustful attraction to her, that nervousness he had had before his attentions had been diverted to Gora came back. He could feel her curves pressed against him. She pressed her lips to his cheek and he nodded. “It is part of my duty M’lady. We will make it, The people and I have faith in you.” He said, whether he was reassuring her or himself was not clear though.

As she stepped away He moved back to his duties. When she sent for him he was holding the hair of one of the women as she vomited off the side of the ship. “I will join her as soon as I can.” He told the soldier with a gentle tone. The man glared and pulled out a dirk threatening him. “You will come now.”

“No, I will come when I have finished tending to this woman.” The man grabbed Gareth yanking him away from the woman, knocking her down in the process. Gareth’s face turned a dark red and he came around slamming the hilt of his own knife into the man’s jaw. He did not have the heart to try to truly assault the man, but he knew he had to do something. The man fell away clutching at his jaw. Gareth bent down and righted the woman. The Viking had fire in his eyes but he knew Ilga would kill him if he truly went after Gareth.

After helping the woman back below decks Gareth went to find Ilga. He lifted an eyebrow as she got them alone. He gave her a long studying look as she asked a question of him. “If you had need of me M’lady. You are under a lot of stress; I would be willing to help you relieve your tension.” He said, not really realizing how his words could be interpreted. “One of the slaves taught me a lot about massage, releasing tension from muscles. Is that what you mean?” he asked.

The_gladiator said:
"Is that what you mean?” he asked.

Ilga's smile had begun to widen as she realized Gareth had missed her meaning. She was perplexed. Was it his naiveté? Or did he simply not believe that she would ask such a thing of him?

She glanced past Gareth, again wanting to ensure that their conversation was only between the two of them, and said bluntly, "I want you to fuck me, Young Gareth."

He opened his mouth, and then promptly closed it again. He had somewhat thought that could be what she wanted but did not know how to react to that, didn’t really know what to say, so had taken a less, direct tact, figuring she would take him up on it and then lead to that. However she apparently had different plans. He was now in a delicate position. What realistically could be his response? He finally blew out a sigh, it wasn’t that he didn’t want her, fore there was a part of him that did. “Is that a request, or an order M’lady?” he finally asked softly.

“Is that a request, or an order M’lady?” he finally asked softly.

She cocked her head, studying him for a moment before shaking her head lightly and smiling with amusement. She had assumed that Gareth would jump at the opportunity. She'd miscalculated.

She moved closer to him, again rising to her toes to kiss him, this time lightly on the lips. When she dropped back down to her heels, she curled around him as she said, "It's a mistake."

She hollered for Rollo, saying, "Take the tiller."

As the Viking hurried to the back of the boat, she turned to look to Gareth again. Her expression was polite, friendly. She was disappointed, but not angry. She smiled again, and said with a sincere tone, "Gora is a lucky woman."

She descended the ladder, went aft to her tiny personal quarters -- which unknown to Gareth had already been evacuated, in case he'd said yes -- and laid down on her straw mattress.

Lucky woman, she thought to herself, as she began undressing ... intending on causing her own pleasure since the Young Gareth had chosen not to provide it.

Gareth looked at her with surprise in his eyes as she kissed him lightly on the mouth, something Gorra had rarely done. "A mistake M'lady?" he asked sounding confused. However, he was not to get an answer as she turned and walked away.

"""""""""""You're a fool boy." Rollo grunted from the tiller. "She don't ask just anyone. Are ye blind? do ye not see her? ttthere's about 20 other men who'd give their right arms here to have that offer, and you just turned her down."

Gareth sighed, "I didn't exactly say no."

"Well, obviously ye didn't say yes." The large viking gave his shoulder a shove, half playful. "Should throw ye overboard for upsetting her."

The exchange done, Rollo turned away, back to his duties, clearly dismissing Gareth. He made his way below and passed through the rest of the crew and passengers, most of which pointed and whispered things as he made his way to her cabbin. He knocked softly before slipping inside. "M'lady?" he said in the darkness. There was no light on in here. His hands reached for her, encountering bare skin. He had tried for her arm, however clearly he'd foound something else. He gasped with surpriise, however didn't, couldn't pull his hand away immediately, it was like he froze there as his cock jumped inside his pants. He could feel the stiffening of her nipple under his palm which told him with all certainty, what part of her he held lightly. He pulled his hand back slowly, glad the darkness hid his blush. "Sorry M'lady, I uh, well I came to offer you that massage." he mumbled.

(OOC: I love that exchange between the men. :D)

Ilga hadn't immediately understood the sounds to be a knock at her door and that very door opening. By the time Rollo had chastised Gareth and the latter had reached her quarters, she'd stripped to the skin with the intention of bathing her body after the self induced orgasm that she hoped she was capable of delivering herself. She'd been to the point where she her consciousness of the events and reality about her was beginning to fade when she realized Gareth had come to her.

She froze, unsure of how to react. Because of her inability to easily please herself, she rarely attempted it, which meant that no one -- lover or servant -- had every walked in on her during the process. When she felt Gareth's hand land upon her bosom, Ilga drew a sudden and death breath that caused the breast to rise against his hand.

Ilga was surprised that the relatively inexperienced and still somewhat naïve young man didn't immediately pull his hand back. But she wasn't disappointed either.

The_gladiator said:
"Sorry M'lady, I uh, well I came to offer you that massage." he mumbled.

Ilga didn't hesitate, instead reaching out in the dark to fumble her hands about Gareth's waist, pulling at his belt and fasteners to begin undressing him. She said cryptically, "And massage me you will, Young Gareth."

Gareth froze as she reached for him, her deft hands finding his belt. This in some ways was not dissimilar to that first night with Gora. He cleared his throat. Dropped his hands to her wrists as if to stop her, and couldn’t stop her. He was naïve and inexperienced, his weak morality could not withstand desires of the flesh. Besides there was something incredibly arousing about feeling her hands on him. In an instant she had reduced him to that shy boy she had first met in her tent, where in a small touch from her or a glance at her breasts through her gown reduced him to a blushing fit. The thin veneer of manhood was peeling away, revealing the almost virgin he was.

Back