The AH Coffee Shop and Reading Room

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chloe seems to have things well in hand as usual. Uh, maybe i should have put a coffee in there somewhere. :eek:

*Zap!* One coffee for LFT. I knew that teleport machine would come in handy when i wrote that Star Trek story.

One hot cup and a welcome to gaedss. I guess i should add some cocoa to the cup. ;)

And I'm waiting on a fresh pot and some coffee myself. :eek:

Good afternoon all:

Short day at work, so rolling up my sleeves to get some writing accomplished this afternoon.

Tea please.

Morning, y'all. Please teleport some coffee my way. I'm holed up in my home office, unable to sneak past sleeping children to the kitchen for coffee.

MagicaPractica: I hope you are feeling better!

Send more sanity. The stomach bug that is racing through my brood--or rather, the products of said stomach bug--has taken my sanity with it.

I suspect its not the coffee that needs teleporting, so much a coffee machine in your home office.

And the assembled multitude nods back blearily and sips on her coffee, waiting only until it's cool enough to gulp down before she heads up and mumbles " 'morning Tex, how 'bout a refill." But Tex isn't there, which Chloe didn't notice when she walked in because she hadn't had her coffee yet because its far too early for any human being to be awake but he's left a sign saying "Help yourself" so Chloe does and then asks Handley Page "one for you too?" and Handley Page nods happily coz it's a different time zone and Handley Page is hours ahead of Chloe and it's so easy to nod happily when it's the middle of the day. So Chloe pours Handley Page another mug and then gets herself a third and things are starting to look up considerably now and Chloe is finally able to talk so Chloe smiles and says "Howz your day been, H.P?"

Beautifully done !

Good evening Chloe.
My day? Quiet - so far, but I have to go out this evening. The good news is that the rain seems to be holding off, although I suspect that it is "temporary".
But what time is it wherever you are if it was 9.30am GMT ?

Have a nice evening, folks

Love Burke's Dave Robicheaux novels.

I saw something fascinating the other day (since you know the Robicheaux novels, you'll know what I mean):

I was paging through new novels, and saw a new writer called ... "Alafair Burke".

I see the lunch crowd is a little early today.

Coffee, tea, and hot chocolate coming up.

I wonder if I should beam LFT another cup of coffee or an IV bag. The IV would save all that sip, sip, sipping time. :cool:

I see the lunch crowd is a little early today.

Coffee, tea, and hot chocolate coming up.

I wonder if I should beam LFT another cup of coffee or an IV bag. The IV would save all that sip, sip, sipping time. :cool:

I think that the occasional IV drip might work for Chloe.
Tea for me please

Mmmmmmmm . . . a coffee machine in the office. Make it a good one. Over the top fancy so that I can make frou frou coffee drinks.

Please also send a fridge for the milk. And a kettle for my afternoon tea. And a hunky man servant to wash everything up for me.

I'm back to regular DP. :rose::kiss:

You have a PM.

One Dr P coming up. :rose::kiss:

PM replied.

Mmmmmmmm . . . a coffee machine in the office. Make it a good one. Over the top fancy so that I can make frou frou coffee drinks.

Please also send a fridge for the milk. And a kettle for my afternoon tea. And a hunky man servant to wash everything up for me.

Everything was going well until you added that last line. That you have to find and train your own self. ;)

Heh, I found me a hunky man servant. Apparently if I get sick enough my husband will actually offer to cook dinner. :eek: I made it through work but the drive home was a struggle.

Back when the late HM went to work full time we agreed that the first on home cooked dinner. Because I worked about 3.5 miles away that left me doing the cooking except on her days off. No problem, I love to cook. I threw a housewarming party at the new cave yesterday and it was a serious hit. Everyone raved about my minestrone.

Minestrone alla Milanese—Ada Bono

Ingredients:
• 2/3 cup dried white beans soaked overnight (or 2 cans navy beans)
• ¼ lb. salt pork, finely chopped
• 1 (large) clove garlic, minced
• 2-3 sprigs flat parsley, minced
• 1 onion thinly sliced
• ½ lb. smoky bacon, diced
• 3 large potatoes, cubed
• 2-3 carrots, diced
• 3 stalks celery, sliced
• 2 zucchini, sliced thin
• 2 ripe tomatoes, chopped
• salt, pepper and Worchester sauce to taste
• 1 small head cabbage, shredded
• 2 cups shelled peas (frozen works just fine)
• 1 cup rice
• 4 tsp. basil leaves chopped fine (optional)
• grated Parmesan cheese

Procedure:

Either cook the beans until soft or drain the cans of beans and set aside
Cook the salt pork, garlic and parsley until the fat runs
Add the onions and cook until translucent
Add bacon, beans and all the vegetables except the cabbage and the peas and cover with 12 cups of water (or 11 cups of water and one of white wine)
Bring to a boil and then simmer for 1 ½ hours. (Alternatively, turn the heat way down and let cook overnight. It will taste better that way.)
Add the cabbage and peas and cook for 15 minutes then add the rice.
Cook 20 minutes, add the basil if desired.
Serve hot with plenty of Parmesan cheese grated over the top.

This allegedly serves 6-8 but that would be 6-8 hungry Italian farmers. Always have lots of hot bread and red wine on hand, too.

Back when the late HM went to work full time we agreed that the first on home cooked dinner. Because I worked about 3.5 miles away that left me doing the cooking except on her days off. No problem, I love to cook. I threw a housewarming party at the new cave yesterday and it was a serious hit. Everyone raved about my minestrone.

Minestrone alla Milano.

Now that sounds lovely. I make Pasta Fagiole once in a great while but my husband doesn't much care for it so only when my family is visiting.

Heh, I found me a hunky man servant. Apparently if I get sick enough my husband will actually offer to cook dinner. :eek: I made it through work but the drive home was a struggle.

The dude in my house in down and out with the stomach bug, too. :(

Get well soon! :rose:

Everything was going well until you added that last line. That you have to find and train your own self. ;)

Ah well. I'll just have to channel my inner Madeline Kahn and select one myself. Don't worry--I'll persevere, even when the going gets rough. Or hard. Or both.

K97J2sH.gif

*rushes off to find golden gown and headdress*

I'm back to regular DP. :rose::kiss:

There's just no pleasing you sometimes, is there, Madam ?
<sfx: 'bloody typical woman', mutter, mutter, mutter,>

Now come on, don't get picky for a free offer, huh ?

Wait! Don't you need to stop and get the slave boys too?

She's on her own with that, i think.,

.....Everyone raved about my minestrone.

Minestrone alla Milanese—Ada Bono

I'm going to try that. Surprise my SO when he gets home. His family background is Italian from way back .... but my cooking is (surprise surprise) either Chinese / Vietnamese or Polish mostly. I'm not the world's best cook but a good soup recipe - I think I can handle that :D. Getting the beans out to soak now.....

And while I do that, my first coffee of the morning ..... and I hope you all...

https://encrypted-tbn0.***********/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAHC8sqxpC_mok7vlqb7pEzUpiujhOOnvYCPFqINKvoMPSix9b

And then I'm off to work. And then race back home and write some more ..... just a couple of thousand words to go ... that's all, and my Valentine's story is done... OMG, it turned ouy waaaay longer than I anticipated.

Last edited:
Counting down the minutes until I can get that first cup. And maybe some breakfast.

Wait! Don't you need to stop and get the slave boys too?

Silly man. An lady must don her gold gown and headdress before selecting her man servants. I have to make a good impression! :cattail:

Now come on, don't get picky for a free offer, huh ?

One must always strive for perfection, even when mediocrity is all that awaits. Or something like that. :D

Man, this place is taking on a life of its own. Italian cooking in one post, slaves in another and it all works. :)

Fresh coffee is ready. I'm having hot chocolate. The biscuits are in the oven. Deer sausage is in the pan.

Man, this place is taking on a life of its own. Italian cooking in one post, slaves in another and it all works. :)

Fresh coffee is ready. I'm having hot chocolate. The biscuits are in the oven. Deer sausage is in the pan.

Now why didn'tcher tell me that before I ate my tea ? :)
I ain't tried venison sausage for a long time!

Meanwhile, I'm out this evening, so it's coffee for me please!

Afternooner all,

It seems there was a nap interlude somewhere earlier. Not that I'm complaining. A good nap is always appreciated.

The coffee is fresh and the kettle is hot. Name your poison. :)

Naps are among life's greatest small pleasures. Just ask the poodle. We're supposed to be getting freezing rain but though it was predicted to start around 4 a.m., not a drop or icicle has appeared. Warming temperatures would be appreciated. I'm tired of having to tromp around in snow boots and shoe chains. Hibernation is sounding better and better.

Naps are among life's greatest small pleasures. Just ask the poodle. We're supposed to be getting freezing rain but though it was predicted to start around 4 a.m., not a drop or icicle has appeared. Warming temperatures would be appreciated. I'm tired of having to tromp around in snow boots and shoe chains. Hibernation is sounding better and better.

I feel for ya Bear. Just be thankful ya ain't still in Califorica waiting for the hill above your home to take a walk. ;)

The warmest December and now we're working on the warmest January. A very odd winter to say the least.

I've lost too much weight to hibernate properly. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back