I like Ships too

dived.gif

Or they could look here.

Doesn't do it. You know how big the stuff is in the background but, for those who are unfamiliar with the area, the camera is too far away and there's too much intervening distance between the sub and the distant shoreline.

I once saw an image of a boomer on its way out to sea from Puget Sound that had a bridge in the photograph. That image made it blindingly obvious that 560' worth of SSBN is a whole lot of submarine.

It's too bad the photograph gives no sense of scale.

People don't appreciate just how big the damn things are.

The first picture (post 1428) shows three sailors amidships, from which one can guess the conning tower rises maybe 6-7 meters above the main hull.

After making the crew change, the Seawolf headed quietly out to the Bering Sea, with only its conning tower sticking above the surface of Unalaska Bay.

American subs don't have a conning tower :cool:

After making the crew change, the Seawolf headed quietly out to the Bering Sea, with only its conning tower sticking above the surface of Unalaska Bay.

He's a reporter from Dutch Harbor. He's either been exiled there or can't find work elsewhere.....

He's a reporter from Dutch Harbor. He's either been exiled there or can't find work elsewhere.....

During WWII they were called conning towers, because the ship could be conned from the communications and navigation centers that were located there. In more modern submarines those functions have been moved inside the hull, so now it's called a 'sail' and houses antennas and periscopes, as well as fairwater planes on some classes in lieu of bow planes. Even so, consider that if one were not involved in the direct construction and operation of these boats that might not be common knowledge. I would suggest forgiving the guy for a simple misnaming.

whatever you call it ,they have a big thing sticking out of the top and it looks like a tower to me .
conning tower is a generic name for the fin ,or tower and it stuck from when they conned the boat while surfaced from it. whats in a name .

Sumbitch... We left on the 19th after being stuck there for 11 days waiting for a engine part.. just missed that.

edit to add, Caught a nice halibut whilst sitting at the anchorage.. no scale but most agreed was about a 60lb'r.. :)

Last edited:
Back