I expect this thread to die quickly. Who is into quantum physics

Quantum mechanics was one of my favorite classes in college...well, not counting the oral exam where I had to write out the Hamiltonian for something or other and explain it. I did enjoy finally "understanding" spectroscopy. But that was more than several decades ago.

Disclaimer that I'm probably the wrong person to ask about string, superstring, and membrane theory. That said, the dimensions LHC might detect the signatures of (which seems unlikely at this point) are of the ordinary spatial type. In most cases, these conjectured dimensions are thought to be highly "compactedified," which means rolled up tightly so that they're unobserved at low (terrestrial) energies.

There are several distinct multiverse theories floating about. And in the case of many worlds, it's disputable whether it's proper to call it a theory, since there's yet no conceivable experiment that could validate it. It's usually called an interpretation of quantum theory.

Different multiverse theories can be mutually compatible. One can have many universes through many worlds, brane theory, and eternal inflation. But each account of multiple universes makes use of different assumptions and theoretical apparatus.

So you're saying there's a chance . . .

What I've been getting at is time travel. Cut into/open a pathway to another dimension and use that as a portal to our past. Assuming multiple worlds is real, and assuming we could even do this, we could go back in time.

I use it every day.

Me too. I can't decide whether to reduce teleportation to practice or concentrate on quantum inseparability. Although M theory has possibly rendered the whole inseparability thing a moot point.

What I've been getting at is time travel. Cut into/open a pathway to another dimension and use that as a portal to our past. Assuming multiple worlds is real, and assuming we could even do this, we could go back in time.

Dementia does that for the elderly already.

Another interesting and elegant scenario to ponder is vortices in vacuum. :)

This morning, there's a 10° F difference between the reported temperature in the middle of the big city and the temperature reported 40 miles away.

What is the correct temperature?

Wow. Thanks for all the reply's. In my real world no one thinks about this. It's a wonderful and significant theory.

This morning, there's a 10° F difference between the reported temperature in the middle of the big city and the temperature reported 40 miles away.

What is the correct temperature?

They are both correct. Big cities retain heat.

They are both correct. Big cities retain heat.

Just so.

The big city is now twice as large in areal extent as it was fifty years ago and now has twice the population.

Is the temperature recorded today in the big city properly comparable to the temperature recorded fifty years ago?

Is the temperature recorded 40 miles away fifty years ago properly comparable to the temperature recorded fifty years ago?

Just so.

The big city is now twice as large in areal extent as it was fifty years ago and now has twice the population.

Is the temperature recorded today in the big city properly comparable to the temperature recorded fifty years ago?

Is the temperature recorded 40 miles away fifty years ago properly comparable to the temperature recorded fifty years ago?

Why don't you take this to one of your anti-science propaganda threads. :rolleyes:

Just so.

Those questions would involve a lot of research. First of all I would have to know what city you are talking about and the city that is forty miles away. Pollution levels and other contributing factors. Like mountains and terrain that also effect it. Los Angles is a good example. It is basically a bowl that traps all the pollution in it.

Just so.

And what does this have to do with quantum physics?

Those questions would involve a lot of research. First of all I would have to know what city you are talking about and the city that is forty miles away. Pollution levels and other contributing factors. Like mountains and terrain that also effect it. Los Angles is a good example. It is basically a bowl that traps all the pollution in it.

Fair questions— this is not simple stuff.

I'm more interested in the endless possibilities of quantum computing.

And what does this have to do with quantum physics?

603px-Stefan_Boltzmann_001.svg.png

No. You don't go back in time in your same dimension/place. You go to a different dimension/place. That dimension/place may appear to have occurred before of after where you were.

You might 'leap' to a place that appears to be your neighborhood in the 1950s, but in reality it may be another dimension that has not yet aged past the 1950s that yours has.

Think of membranes as printed wallpaper with a distinct pattern. With some care and reference points, you can match the pattern edges as long as that pattern was carefully printed so that the pattern matches exactly. If you just lay several pieces out on the floor without the effort to match the pattern and run a pin through them all, that pin wi9ll intersect at a different point on each sheet. That pin is neither before nor after any point in time on each sheet however.

You could also imagine each sheet/layer (membrane/dimension) as different patterns entirely and it will get even more funky as far as traveling between them.

[Leap being a reference to the SciFi show 'Quantam Leap']

Here's a Thought?

Suppose the Universe is a Bell Jar and resonates at 0.03 mcSv/h, which is to say its not down here but up there now, not to burst any ones bubble the expanse is quanta, a finite measurement resulting in quantum mechanics ...

Its the thought that counts?

Last edited:
I must admit I don't understand that graph at all.

It's a graph of the Stefan-Boltzmann law, which relates thermal radiation to the temperature of a surface. Trysail is suggesting the heat island effect of cities.

Trysail is an anthropogenic climate change denier.

Back