Endless Ends

In response to @Apisto42 s 😮

Yes, I’m not into Hitchhiker’s guide
I also don’t like The Rocky Horror Picture Show
The Harry Potter series
The Lord of the Rings
Or any number of other book or movie series that seemingly everyone else on the planet Earth loves.

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

This must be why we are friends. 🤣

I did manage to force my way through Hitchhiker, but found it to be an excruciating experience. Which is probably why I remember little.
You are both dead to me.
I also left out Monty Python.

Have you ever noticed when you tell someone you don’t find Monty Python funny, they immediately start quoting all the Python stuff you don’t find funny? Why do they do that? 🧐

I will admit that I laughed when the rabbit bit that guy’s head off in the Holy Grail. 👍
Ok, fine. I guess you can still be my friend. But you’re on notice.
 
Samsies. I do find an occasional line funny, mostly based on repetition and people's reaction over the years, but, otherwise. No.
I think it’s because I read Hitchhikers as a teenage boy. I found the absurdism attractive and funny. Of course I also think life in general is fucking absurd, so it also validated my world view.
I. Do. Not. Know.

Because beating you over the head with something repeatedly wears you down? 🤷‍♀️


The writing is dry as dust and interminable.
I realized in my 20’s that I self edit LOtR, skipping the dry parts, the songs (awful), and just going with the story.
Dude. What were you thinking? :head desk:
Well, the trilogy was really just an extension of his mythology and language building.
RHPC - again, absurdism. Validation that yes, humanity is too full of itself and most things are funny.
 
You are both dead to me.
😳

I think it’s because I read Hitchhikers as a teenage boy. I found the absurdism attractive and funny.
I noticed before that books read as tween/teenager can have a far weightier impact than when read as an adult. I've struggled to see why people found their particular books insightful.

Yet, I read some Heinlein between 12-14, and those two books strongly impacted my adult life view. 🤷‍♀️

-The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
-Time Enough for Love

Of course I also think life in general is fucking absurd, so it also validated my world view.

I realized in my 20’s that I self edit LOtR, skipping the dry parts, the songs (awful), and just going with the story.

Well, the trilogy was really just an extension of his mythology and language building.
. . . . . . . . . . .

Ummm. You do realize that is part of the problem, right?

Don't unfriend me!!! 🤣
 
😳


I noticed before that books read as tween/teenager can have a far weightier impact than when read as an adult. I've struggled to see why people found their particular books insightful.
The Barsoom series influence me still. Maybe it’s just what’s his name art. 😝
Yet, I read some Heinlein between 12-14, and those two books strongly impacted my adult life view. 🤷‍♀️

-The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
-Time Enough for Love
My dad had a bunch of heilein that I read about the same age. Probably still influences my sci-fi choices.
. . . . . . . . . . .

Ummm. You do realize that is part of the problem, right?
Well yes, but nothing is perfect in life, enjoy the parts that are good and ignore the shitty parts and you’re happier. 🤷‍♂️
Don't unfriend me!!! 🤣
Hrmph.

On notice.
 
Sorry, Enny... another LoTR fan here.

I realized in my 20’s that I self edit LOtR, skipping the dry parts, the songs (awful), and just going with the story.
I will admit to skipping over the songs and everything Tom Bombadil. You have a valid point.
Same here... 💯 agree with these comments.

The songs were too much and I can see why Tom Bombadil was left out of the movies!
 
I realized in my 20’s that I self edit LOtR, skipping the dry parts, the songs (awful), and just going with the story.
I will admit to skipping over the songs and everything Tom Bombadil. You have a valid point.
People. You realize no ponderous tomb of a book - read for pleasure - should not require that kind of self-editing?

I don't care what anyone says. It has to have been a vanity publish. :p
 
People. You realize no ponderous tomb of a book - read for pleasure - should not require that kind of self-editing?

I don't care what anyone says. It has to have been a vanity publish. :p
The whole world building and language and everything about it was a vanity project. He felt that the UK did not have a cohesive mythology and wanted to create one basically. It’s why most of his other works were never actually finished, just in various stages of editing and rewriting.

ETA: and most of his other works are not novels. They are poetry (bad) and overviews of large time periods of the “past”.
 
The whole world building and language and everything about it was a vanity project. He felt that the UK did not have a cohesive mythology and wanted to create one basically. It’s why most of his other works were never actually finished, just in various stages of editing and rewriting.

ETA: and most of his other works are not novels. They are poetry (bad) and overviews of large time periods of the “past”.
I'm starting to feel outnumbered here. 🤣🤣🤣
 
Back
Top