Endless Ends

Sounds interesting. I think you’ve mentioned it before. Picked it up.
I have! Most unique piece of prose I've read in years. Loved it.

People either love it or hate. There seems to be very little middle ground. I would be extremely curious as to your opinion, if you care to share. Whether you settle in the Love or Hate Crowd.

Such balderdash.
I mean, most people can't write male or female characters well. Let's not narrow the field unnecessarily.

Go on, go on
Tennessee Williams (all around), Peter O'Donnell writing as Madeleine Brent (gothic/suspense romance), Leo Tolstoy (Anna Karenina).

Tried to give you some range. :p

* * *
Speaking of such, I'm curious.

I know you're read Murderbot. Have you also read any of the Anne Leckie Ancillary series? I've mentioned it before.

Murderbot is more science fiction, whereas Anne Lecke is more fantasy, think A.I. space opera.

Where Murderbot is genderless, Ancillary is gender blind and uses she as the one collective pronoun. I find it interesting that in both books, I assign gender.

Curious if that is your experience?

Tagging @LadyLascivious1. Not sure if you've read these, but I know you're a reader.
 
I have! Most unique piece of prose I've read in years. Loved it.

People either love it or hate. There seems to be very little middle ground. I would be extremely curious as to your opinion, if you care to share. Whether you settle in the Love or Hate Crowd.
It is excellent so far (11% read).
I mean, most people can't write male or female characters well. Let's not narrow the field unnecessarily.
Many authors do indeed suck.
Tennessee Williams (all around), Peter O'Donnell writing as Madeleine Brent (gothic/suspense romance), Leo Tolstoy (Anna Karenina).
I have read the first and third authors. I find the modern idiocy that you can only write what you are to be flat out ridiculous. So as a white American middle aged male I can only write characters that are white American males my age or younger? Do I have to limit myself to only the socio-economic groups I’ve been a part of?

Do women authors get a pass to write any character they want because they’re “so much more in tune with the world and they understand men so well”?

Every good author does research on the topics they are writing about. Most authors have not been detectives, or had love affairs with millionaires, or traveled in time, or yada yada yada.

“Stay in your lane” is some racist bullshit. Let the market decide if the writing is good.
Tried to give you some range. :p
I think you handed me some rope.
* * *
Speaking of such, I'm curious.

I know you're read Murderbot. Have you also read any of the Anne Leckie Ancillary series? I've mentioned it before.
I have not.
Murderbot is more science fiction, whereas Anne Lecke is more fantasy, think A.I. space opera.

Where Murderbot is genderless, Ancillary is gender blind and uses she as the one collective pronoun. I find it interesting that in both books, I assign gender.
So my son is about halfway through the Murderbot series and we had an interesting discussion about Murderbot and ART the other day. He assigned a female gender to ART whereas I did not. But I do think of Murderbot as male because of some of the ways it acts.
Curious if that is your experience?

Tagging @LadyLascivious1. Not sure if you've read these, but I know you're a reader.
I’d tag her too.
 
It is excellent so far (11% read).
👍

“Stay in your lane” is some racist bullshit. Let the market decide if the writing is good.
Give me a few moments to genuflect at the rationality of this statement. 🙏

I think you handed me some rope.
Um, what?

I don't get it. 🤔

I have not.
Not generally my lane, but, really, surprisingly good. The use of A.I. as the main character is used in an entirely novel way. I went in not expecting to read the trilogy, but did.

So my son is about halfway through the Murderbot series and we had an interesting discussion about Murderbot and ART the other day. He assigned a female gender to ART whereas I did not. But I do think of Murderbot as male because of some of the ways it acts.
Really? Do you assign any gender to ART?

I agree with your son. And you, on the matter of Murderbot.

I’d tag her too.
Oh! 😳
 
👍


Give me a few moments to genuflect at the rationality of this statement. 🙏
Ahhh-men.
Um, what?

I don't get it. 🤔
Generally a white guy saying anything about sex and race is a good way to bring all kinds of shit to the table.
Not generally my lane, but, really, surprisingly good. The use of A.I. as the main character is used in an entirely novel way. I went in not expecting to read the trilogy, but did.
Cool. It’s on a list.
Really? Do you assign any gender to ART?
I did not. I get the not so subtle hints, but … no body so no need to genderize ART. They are just two intelligences.
I agree with your son. And you, on the matter of Murderbot.
So you’re 50% right. 😝
I know right?
 
Generally a white guy saying anything about sex and race is a good way to bring all kinds of shit to the table.
Ah. I thought you were referencing the range of books I offered.

Cool. It’s on a list.
😎

I did not. I get the not so subtle hints, but … no body so no need to genderize ART. They are just two intelligences.
I think . . . that must . . . change up the experience of the read. 🤔

So you’re 50% right. 😝
*pfft*

Hundred percent. And don't you forget it. :p
 
So, I settled in to find a horror movie. One a day, until Halloween. 🎃

Werewolves, always good. So being the adventure sort not really 🤣 I pulled up Night of the Werwolves (2024).

IMDb rating 1.9! A smidge concerning. I don't think I've ever seen a rating that low. I mean, even Llamageddon (2015) was a 3.9. 💁‍♀️

I pulled up reviews. This one made me laugh.

At that point, I realize that the movie I'd actually been thinking of was Werewolves (2024). However, watching the trailer indicated it was just going to be one big jump-scare bloodbath.

Nope.

I've decided to watch a nice, easygoing murder instead. *clutches blanket*
 
So, I settled in to find a horror movie. One a day, until Halloween. 🎃

Werewolves, always good. So being the adventure sort not really 🤣 I pulled up Night of the Werwolves (2024).

IMDb rating 1.9! A smidge concerning. I don't think I've ever seen a rating that low. I mean, even Llamageddon (2015) was a 3.9. 💁‍♀️

I pulled up reviews. This one made me laugh.

At that point, I realize that the movie I'd actually been thinking of was Werewolves (2024). However, watching the trailer indicated it was just going to be one big jump-scare bloodbath.

Nope.

I've decided to watch a nice, easygoing murder instead. *clutches blanket*
Murder is always good!
 
Hat trick!🎉
I think . . . that must . . . change up the experience of the read. 🤔
Well, Murderbot (MB) doesn’t think of itself as male, ART doesn’t appear to think of itself as female, and while I might gender MB a little bit, and ART’s characteristics might stereotype as female, it’s just two intelligences caring for each other. They already care about humans (even if MB acts like he doesn’t sometimes).

I think the lack of an anthropomorphic cyborg body (sex organs or not) helps with not caring about the gender or lack there of.
*pfft*

Hundred percent. And don't you forget it. :p
Hrmp. I’ll do 60/40. In your favor. Since you have nice feet.
I've decided to watch a nice, easygoing murder instead. *clutches blanket*
And?
 
In response to @Apisto42 s 😮

Yes, I’m not into Hitchhiker’s guide
I also don’t like The Rocky Horror Picture Show
The Harry Potter series
The Lord of the Rings
Or any number of other book or movie series that seemingly everyone else on the planet Earth loves.

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
This must be why we are friends. 🤣

I did manage to force my way through Hitchhiker, but found it to be an excruciating experience. Which is probably why I remember little.
 
This must be why we are friends. 🤣

I did manage to force my way through Hitchhiker, but found it to be an excruciating experience. Which is probably why I remember little.
I also left out Monty Python.

Have you ever noticed when you tell someone you don’t find Monty Python funny, they immediately start quoting all the Python stuff you don’t find funny? Why do they do that? 🧐

I will admit that I laughed when the rabbit bit that guy’s head off in the Holy Grail. 👍
 
In response to @Apisto42 s 😮

Yes, I’m not into Hitchhiker’s guide
I also don’t like The Rocky Horror Picture Show
The Harry Potter series
The Lord of the Rings
Or any number of other book or movie series that seemingly everyone else on the planet Earth loves.

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
I can understand everything but Tolkien. But now that I think about it, there aren't many females in the books. Plenty of meat to lust over though.
 
I also left out Monty Python.
Samsies. I do find an occasional line funny, mostly based on repetition and people's reaction over the years, but, otherwise. No.

Why do they do that? 🧐
I. Do. Not. Know.

Because beating you over the head with something repeatedly wears you down? 🤷‍♀️

I can understand everything but Tolkien. But now that I think about it, there aren't many females in the books.
The writing is dry as dust and interminable.

Dude. What were you thinking? :head desk:

Plenty of meat to lust over though.
😳
 
No, it was fine. Just surprised me. That you were able to find anything redeeming. 🤣
I saw a meme recently that was so true. It said that when I was young I lusted after Legolas. (I went to see the movies at least 8 times each in the theaters and had an ongoing torrid relationship with him in my mind.)

When you're a little more mature, you desire Aragorn the mature, responsible, yet still hot male. (He may have been in a threesome at some point with me and Leggy.)

When you're a real woman, you want Samwise Gamgee who wants nothing more than to stay home and feed you. (Who am I kidding, I'd take them all!)
 
Back
Top