Confessions: What Are Yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I confess that I'm glad I'm not going home for Christmas this year, as Jehovah's Witnesses have converted my grandmother. Because of this, she's not aloud to celebrate any holidays, birthdays, etc, etc, including any religious ones. While this seems to be more than a just a bit odd to me, I mean a denomination of a major religion basically refusing to celebrate the holiest days on their calender, I think what bothers me most is knowing that if I did go home it would just be awkward. Being the near-faithless heathen that I am and given my skepticism of organized religion I know it would only be a matter of time before I finally just called her on it. I refuse to believe that the 13 years we celebrated Christmas together before my grandfather died and the 12 without him since add up to 25 years worth of Hell-punishable sin. Furthermore, when you consider that Christmas is her favorite time of year and nothing makes her happier than decorating her house and spending the time with her family and suddenly she's told that's all wrong and wicked... Well, frankly, I'm calling bullshit.

If anyone wants to know why I have a problem with religion, this is a pretty goddamn good example. We'll label this exhibit A in my case. What's really sad is the fact that, honestly, I don't have a problem with Christianity itself. The idea behind it is a great one and Jesus was a really cool guy whether he was divine or not, but it's things like this that make me not care if I go to Hell if this is what I have to put up with to get to Heaven.

Okay I'm done, and I'll leave you with a particularly favorite quote of mine that I think sums it all up-

"Jesus was a good guy. He didn't need this shit."
-Anonymous

I confess that I'm glad I'm not going home for Christmas this year, as Jehovah's Witnesses have converted my grandmother. Because of this, she's not aloud to celebrate any holidays, birthdays, etc, etc, including any religious ones. While this seems to be more than a just a bit odd to me, I mean a denomination of a major religion basically refusing to celebrate the holiest days on their calender, I think what bothers me most is knowing that if I did go home it would just be awkward. Being the near-faithless heathen that I am and given my skepticism of organized religion I know it would only be a matter of time before I finally just called her on it. I refuse to believe that the 13 years we celebrated Christmas together before my grandfather died and the 12 without him since add up to 25 years worth of Hell-punishable sin. Furthermore, when you consider that Christmas is her favorite time of year and nothing makes her happier than decorating her house and spending the time with her family and suddenly she's told that's all wrong and wicked... Well, frankly, I'm calling bullshit.

If anyone wants to know why I have a problem with religion, this is a pretty goddamn good example. We'll label this exhibit A in my case. What's really sad is the fact that, honestly, I don't have a problem with Christianity itself. The idea behind it is a great one and Jesus was a really cool guy whether he was divine or not, but it's things like this that make me not care if I go to Hell if this is what I have to put up with to get to Heaven.

Okay I'm done, and I'll leave you with a particularly favorite quote of mine that I think sums it all up-

-Anonymous

I confess it's been ages since I have read(or written) a fantastic post like this. The detail, the fun, the quote. Nice AV too. Penguin Smash!

ICT this morning I woke up thinking of a lit member...and how bad I wanted to have her like my coffee, just a splash of cream :devil:

-Anonymous
I'm another one right there with you. I've had experiences that have made me this way. I'm so sorry those bastards have sucked in your grandmother. To think this is her favorite time of year and the happiness it brings. To deprive her of that, now that is a sin.

ICT.....she'll never even begin to understand what a great lay he is. Pity, that.

:cool:

Last edited:
I confess that I have been so sick for the last three days that I could not even sport a respectible hard-on.

Might as well face it, you're addicted to LOVE

ICT I found those background dancers to be creepy.

Those "background dancers" were actually his real touring band. They were all professional musicians that he brought together. In that sense, less creepy, and more awesome!

I confess that, the other day, I had what I consider to be a 'genius' idea about this year's christmas tree (Which we've not gotten yet) but, when I explained it to my wife, she looked at me like I was a lunatic. My idea: Cut off all the branches on one side of the tree so that it can sit flush against the wall. We always stick it in a corner, or against a wall anyway, and we don't really see the 'backside'. By cutting away half of the branches, we'll get more space in our modest living room, and about equal enjoyment from the tree. Also, we can use the trimmed branches as decorations throughout the house.

*sigh*

Is this madness, or genius? I need to know!

I confess that, the other day, I had what I consider to be a 'genius' idea about this year's christmas tree (Which we've not gotten yet) but, when I explained it to my wife, she looked at me like I was a lunatic. My idea: Cut off all the branches on one side of the tree so that it can sit flush against the wall. We always stick it in a corner, or against a wall anyway, and we don't really see the 'backside'. By cutting away half of the branches, we'll get more space in our modest living room, and about equal enjoyment from the tree. Also, we can use the trimmed branches as decorations throughout the house.

*sigh*

Is this madness, or genius? I need to know!

Hmmm...as a designer by nature and profession, I can see the inspiration here. And, as you mentioned, if you've limited space in your central living area, I think it's a rather good idea. No one ever sees the backside of the tree anyway if it's in a corner and I love the repurposing of the branches you cut off. Just think of all the light strands you might save from having to use!

I say give it a whirl. What the hell. If all else fails, it will go down as a GREAT Christmas family story..."Hey Mom, tell everyone about the year that Dad cut our tree to fuckin' hell!"
:D

Thanks, Haze! I appreciate your perspective. I was raised Jewish, so I have no emotional connection to these holiday symbols. I love to decorate with them, but sometimes my 'radical' ideas don't go over well with my wife or daughter.

One year, I used blue lights outside because I thought they were beautiful, and my wife thought I was trying to 'Chanukize' Christmas. *sigh* It was an irrational response, but indicative of the emotional resonance these symbols have for some people.

They even sell artificial trees just like what you want to do to yours. I say do it, too.

-Anonymous

I confess I'm in lov with glass penguin for this reply... and I'm totally straight!!! :D

ICT...I'm overly worried about always saying the wrong thing to a new friend now, when normally, I would just say w/e the fuck I was gonna' say and not worry about any fallout.

ICT this is all due to my doubting my internal filter now b/c of situational circumstances that occurred this past week.

ICT I need a new conquest. Any volunteers? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back