30 in 30 Companion Thread

Oh dear, Pervy Sage has taken a hissy fit :( Others have been caught out before by not reading the rules, but after the initial shock bit the bullet and went round again.

I was just happy to see someone else posting with me. I liked that Sage made an effort and posted some beautiful pieces.

I see that makes me the bad guy, but not only did they keep missing days but those days were written off and counted as being written! i.e 23 to 27 and further back in the challenge too. That makes a mockery of people like yourself who write the lot without spaces.

I agree with you completely, Annie. Plenty of us have had to restart the challenge after missing a day. The rules are what make it a challenge. Otherwise it's just another open thread. You're not the bad guy, you're the good guy who's trying to make sure that thread still means something. :rose:

I agree with you completely, Annie. Plenty of us have had to restart the challenge after missing a day. The rules are what make it a challenge. Otherwise it's just another open thread. You're not the bad guy, you're the good guy who's trying to make sure that thread still means something. :rose:

Thank you Calli for soothing my battered heart :heart:

Don't know -19

One day when searching through
ancient, browned paper work,
a girl will find something to momentarily
catch her eye, and call back over a shoulder
to someone rummaging in another room,
that this must be Great, great Aunt Annie's
stash of long lost poetry, and sits down to read,
all the time wondering if it's worth saving.

Definitely worth saving

Definitely worth saving

I agree. It's lovely! A keeper for sure.

I wrote a poem some years back directed at my imagined great granddaughter. And reading Annie's poem now it strikes me that it could be a good challenge, to write something to your fictional descendant. Maybe I'll try to put something together in the next week or two.

Definitely worth saving

I agree. It's lovely! A keeper for sure.

I wrote a poem some years back directed at my imagined great granddaughter. And reading Annie's poem now it strikes me that it could be a good challenge, to write something to your fictional descendant. Maybe I'll try to put something together in the next week or two.

Thank you both, I was beginning to wonder if anyone had noticed I was doing the marathon! :)
Yes I do get it Piscator that your answer is different from Angeline's!
I'm all for the challenge, I much prefer being told what to write about!
I was thinking of a 'Same first line' but much happier to go with this!

Last edited:
Don't know - 23

There's lots of things Annie wants
and she wants them every day.
She's tried a few that made her smile
like flashing men, Hurray!
So this New Years resolution
is to work on through the list,
starting now I'm stripping off
stood at my window getting pissed.
*I do hope getting pissed means the same in other countries as it does here!

Sometimes double or even triple meanings have their place. this is one of them - make mine a double.

After the bombardment the once open sky
went through a mx, a rainbow of colours,
finally settling it seemed for a glowing citrus.
We few that were left, in our many multitudes
of shapes and oddly sized, some twos and fours,
grew used to the bathing, all embracing lemon hues .
Country by country they had destroyed all who retaliated,
but we were not built for anything like wars,
were left only to our fate and suffer the constant fallout.
Clouds drifting across the moulding skies, corrosive ,
sinking all before them, until rooves became floors
solidified by the foul acidic rains, all later falling.
And so first animals born into a world no longer ours,
produced a new race, here now but still in scores
higher intelligence starting again upon our yellow shores.

I do like the combination of dystopia and 'new beginnings' softened by the color references, crushing all hope, to let it bloom again in the end. Is there some background story to this?

I do like the combination of dystopia and 'new beginnings' softened by the color references, crushing all hope, to let it bloom again in the end. Is there some background story to this?

No, I needed my daily poem so I jut sat down and wrote about an imaginary world surviving an Alien attack. Not the same, but still surviving.
With a rhyming middle line and the last three, I like to fiddle with the different Forms, making up my own.

Last edited:
Well that has to go into the history books lol what a Wally to go to hospital and can't do your last poem!!

Well that has to go into the history books lol what a Wally to go to hospital and can't do your last poem!!

96.666 percent done, and way more than others, e.g. myself, have come close to. So, a big applause for coming that far.

...and maybe it's a good motivation to try again??? I guess, there's a lot of poetry to tell about hospital food, the bad assumptions of bed designers and oh-these-distasteful-wall-colors!

From my last visit to such halls

attachment.php

they said it's handmade,
but, no, that's just fake
this industrial charade
of streusel cake
wrapped in plastic (food grade)
to make your head shake
I'm sick of it, I'm afraid

Attachments

• balanced_diet.jpg
    balanced_diet.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 1

I'd say it's a reasonable excuse and you could resume when of the injured reserve/covid list popular in the National Foorball (American) these days.

But then I slightly embellished a real power failure here to excuse myself from a virtual meeting last week.

Last edited:
Oh I'm about to start again, I've no intention of giving up. After all I'm the one made a fuss about another not following the rules! It's funny really and I've a mind at least one is thinking 'Serves her right, now see how you feel'!

Good Luck, 'Again'

Thank you and actually I prefer being told what to write, that's why I loved the challenges we used to do every month and the biggy of Survivor which almost wore me out and I admit to struggling to finish it, although really I didn't have to keep writing as I went round one and half times I think it was.

You could but I think a whole new thread would be better for that so this thread wasn't entangled with a different idea.
I think I did that myself way back but it didn't really catch on but it's still a good idea I think as I do write bits and pieces that catch my imagination both here in Annie's Shoe Box and on my Facebook page too.
Perhaps you'd like to do that, start a new thread I mean, for people to share bits and bobs and keywords? You could call it that too " Bits and bobs and keywords" so folks get an idea what it's about, but I'll leave that up to you as the thread starter, I'm sure you've got some good ideas.

Thank you and actually I prefer being told what to write, that's why I loved the challenges we used to do every month and the biggy of Survivor which almost wore me out and I admit to struggling to finish it, although really I didn't have to keep writing as I went round one and half times I think it was.

I know what you mean. Last month, I took part in the Writers Digest's November Chapbook Challenge which sent you a prompt every day through November. I didn't use all of them but the prompts did provide grist for the poetry mill.

I did go to look at that but didn't really understand it, so didn't do it. I even joined a group but nobody answered my query for help.

You could but I think a whole new thread would be better for that so this thread wasn't entangled with a different idea.
I think I did that myself way back but it didn't really catch on but it's still a good idea I think as I do write bits and pieces that catch my imagination both here in Annie's Shoe Box and on my Facebook page too.
Perhaps you'd like to do that, start a new thread I mean, for people to share bits and bobs and keywords? You could call it that too " Bits and bobs and keywords" so folks get an idea what it's about, but I'll leave that up to you as the thread starter, I'm sure you've got some good ideas.

Thanks for this idea, I love it. Will start early next year, the board seems quite quiet at the moment.

Btw, is there any specific rule when to start a 30 in 30?

Back