Writer's Challenge: Magic In America

sweetnpetite

Intellectual snob
Magic!

Quiet Cool suggested I make a writer's challenge out of an idea that I had. I don't think that this can be done in 100 words or less, so if you'd like to take the challenge post a short story and then link it to this thread. But feel free to use the thread for brainstorm, ideas and even excerpts.

You may want to check out the original thread here:
https://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?postid=10958422#post10958422

Considering Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter, I realized that there seems to be nothing magical about the USA in terms of fantasy- I guess it's all too modern and such. The challenge is to write a story involving ancient magic in america (USA and possilby including the rest of America) coming forth into and threw the modern day incorporating some existing mythology (as most fantasy writers do) and lots of fiction of course to tie it all together. Use mythology as a jumping off point, but create a 'magical world' of your own. (Like Rowlings did w/ HP)

sign-up thread

Rules and FAQs

Last edited:
Quiet_Cool said:
I did. I won't resend, cuz basically, I just said it was a good idea again. If you think perhaps this could be, or lead to a group project, keep us informed. A bunch of short stories about one large, secret world in America, magic and myth, all blended, might be nice. It'd also consolidate views and reads.

Q_C

Do you think we could make it a Chain Story that was more of a collection (like Snippet'sville is)?

Or do you have something else in mind?

PS- I really like America, Magic, and Myth- or America: Secret Worlds of Magic and Myth. (inspired by your quote)

Last edited:
sweetnpetite said:
Do you think we could make it a Chain Story that was more of a collection (like Snippet'sville is)?

Or do you have something else in mind?

That's what I was thinking, or something like it. Give up some basics once we work them out, and then let the people do what they want. Not necessarily give a word limit (if I remember, Snipper'sville was short-shorts, yes?) but make them entwined in the same reality but not necessarily intwined in the same storyline.

Ahem, reporting to duty, ma'am. ;)

Q_C

I'd be interested incontributing, but that said, it might be sort of hard to fabricate one world that we would all have to adhere to....or a lot of work on someone's part.

Quiet_Cool said:
That's what I was thinking, or something like it. Give up some basics once we work them out, and then let the people do what they want. Not necessarily give a word limit (if I remember, Snipper'sville was short-shorts, yes?) but make them entwined in the same reality but not necessarily intwined in the same storyline.

Ahem, reporting to duty, ma'am. ;)

Q_C

Great idea. Do we need to run it through the mods?

I might not be online for a few days (oh who am I kidding?). If I'm not, I'll try to be sure to at least check in this week. Work up whatever outline or ideas your heart desires and post them here for discussion (who knows if my PM box will be full or not?) and we'll work out the kinks here (it'll keep the tread from dropping out of view too.)

HOpefully some interested parties will post a nod that they'd like to be involved.

I don't think we need a word limit- but this should be short stories (long short stories are fine) not novels. Poems would be cool too- for anyone so inclined and tallented. ANd illustrations would be wonderful, as far as I'm concerned.

cloudy said:
I'd be interested incontributing, but that said, it might be sort of hard to fabricate one world that we would all have to adhere to....or a lot of work on someone's part.

True. But then, it would also keep them similar enough to hold them together. And at the same time, it might not be so hard afterall.

Consider: If we agree that there are faeries, gnomes, perhaps even elves and Pagasuses (pegasi? Pegasese? :confused: ).

One of us writes a story, but it's about a garden behind a long abandoned house, where faeries have remained hidden by the house's former owners for generations.

Another writes about a valley, out in the middle of nowhere in say... I guess Oklahoma or Nebraska, or maybe Montana (anywhere where there'd be large plots of land that might not be well-monitored) and in a valley there, the elves are keeping the Pegasuses :)rolleyes: ) safe from extinction, hiding them away from the human race.

Another might have lawn gnomes that are truly alive, and protect thier owners by granting them good luck and warding off evils.

Not necessarily good examples, but you understand what I mean. It's important to add those guidelines (IMO) for the sake of keeping another 10,000 vampire stories from flooding the site under the guise of the contest.

Just my thoughts,

Q_C

cloudy said:

I think we'll have to make some guidelines and let people have quite a bit of free-reign.

Still gonna be a lot of work for QC, I think. (hey, you volunteered!)

Quiet_Cool said:
True. But then, it would also keep them similar enough to hold them together. And at the same time, it might not be so hard afterall.

Consider: If we agree that there are faeries, gnomes, perhaps even elves and Pagasuses (pegasi? Pegasese? :confused: ).

One of us writes a story, but it's about a garden behind a long abandoned house, where faeries have remained hidden by the house's former owners for generations.

Another writes about a valley, out in the middle of nowhere in say... I guess Oklahoma or Nebraska, or maybe Montana (anywhere where there'd be large plots of land that might not be well-monitored) and in a valley there, the elves are keeping the Pegasuses :)rolleyes: ) safe from extinction, hiding them away from the human race.

Another might have lawn gnomes that are truly alive, and protect thier owners by granting them good luck and warding off evils.

Not necessarily good examples, but you understand what I mean. It's important to add those guidelines (IMO) for the sake of keeping another 10,000 vampire stories from flooding the site under the guise of the contest.

Just my thoughts,

Q_C

Good point (though as you said not good examples)

We want to use things like native american spirits and other cultures that have had either contact with america (so that it's not overly homogonous) such as the vikings and whatnot.

Here's a link of interest:

http://xroads.virginia.edu/~HYPER/HNS/Archive/garden97/brendan.html

Actually, I think/and hope that you've got a better grip on this idea than I do!

I rarely do writer's challenges, too un-prolific to get anything typed down. But this seems like an interresting one. I'll follow it closely, and if I can have the freedom to opt out later, count me in.

I like the idea of magic in America the way it si portrayed in Neil Gaiman's American Gods. Basically that since it's a nation of immigrants, it has become a melting pot for a thousand different legends and myths. You have totems, djinns, pioxies, wood spirits, aincent fertility gods... whatever rocks your socks.

Liar said:
Basically that since it's a nation of immigrants, it has become a melting pot for a thousand different legends and myths. You have totems, djinns, pioxies, wood spirits, aincent fertility gods... whatever rocks your socks.

We're not all immigrants, darlin'. ;)

sweetnpetite said:

Actually, I think/and hope that you've got a better grip on this idea than I do!

Don't count on it. But we're treading in new water here. It'll come together if we all get our feet wet...

...I think.

Q_C

Quiet_Cool said:
Think you can bribe rhinoguy to do it?

Q_C

Probably. I think it would be cool for any illustrator who was interested to contribute. (variety is cool:))

It's ok if everybodies vision is a little different. I'm thinking of this as more of an 'anthology' type thing than a true 'chain story'

(is that what you are thinking too?)

The brendan story features the Garden of Eden mythology which might not be bad to tie in. It's familiar, but suprising in this setting.

http://xroads.virginia.edu/~hyper/hns/garden/history.html

According to the site:
Christopher Columbus was keenly interested in finding the lost Garden of Eden. One of his prized possessions was a copy of cardinal Pierre d'Ailly's Imago Mundy, a geographical treatise that suggested "Terrestrial paradise perhaps is the place which the authors call the Fortunate Islands [the Canary Islands, off the northwest coast of Africa]." Columbus' copious marginal notes demonstrate his abiding interest in mapping the location of the lost Garden.

Only the new magic may turn out to be older (more ancient) than the old magic. And more powerful than the theives know. (on the idea of the people trying to steal or capture the magic and sell it back in the 'old world'

I'm thinking of the consequenses of pre-mass imigration magic on the modern world.

And forgotten magic rather than a true 'melting pot' where anything goes.

Last edited:
cloudy said:
We're not all immigrants, darlin'. ;)
Depends on how far back you go. :) Afaik, people are all reasonably new on the continent, if you compare with Africa, Europe or central Asia.

sweetnpetite said:
Only the new magic may turn out to be older (more ancient) than the old magic. And more powerful than the theives know. (on the idea of the people trying to steal or capture the magic and sell it back in the 'old world'

I'm thinking of the consequenses of pre-mass imigration magic on the modern world.

You may not realize it, but you've just come very close to what is actually going on today with the appropriation of shamanic practices by all the "new age" wannabes.....

The thing is, there's many, many things that aren't discussed openly, so their appropriation isn't complete, they just don't realize it.

Last edited:
Liar said:
Depends on how far back you go. :) Afaik, people are all reasonably new on the continent, if you compare with Africa, Europe or central Asia.

I'm thinking of fictionally challenging that notion.:)

cloudy said:
You may not realize it, but you've just come very close to what is actually going on today with the appropriation of shamanic practices by all the "new age" wannabes.....

The thing is, there's many, many things that are discussed openly, so their appropriation isn't complete, they just don't realize it.

hmm, that could be a good starting point...

Liar said:

I dunno....there was a thread on here awhile back about some discoveries that were challenging the theory that all the natives here originated with those that crossed an ice bridge from Asia. Not sure when it was, though.

sweetnpetite said:
I'm thinking of fictionally challenging that notion.:)
New magic. Old magic. And really old magic. Like, hidden underneath it all.

Neato.

cloudy said:
I dunno....there was a thread on here awhile back about some discoveries that were challenging the theory that all the natives here originated with those that crossed an ice bridge from Asia. Not sure when it was, though.
Yes. Maybe so. But immigrants or not, America is still a gargantulan melting pot for different old and new religions, myths, legends and, presumably, magic. I think it calls for some interresting extra dimensional culture clashes, wouldn't you say? :)

Liar said:
Yes. Maybe so. But immigrants or not, America is still a gargantulan melting pot for different old and new religions, myths, legends and, presumably, magic. I think it calls for some interresting extra dimensional culture clashes, wouldn't you say? :)

Agreed. :)

I think that the stories could bring up some interesting points about the culture(s) here in the states....sort of a sub-plot kind of thing.

cloudy said:
Agreed. :)

I think that the stories could bring up some interesting points about the culture(s) here in the states....sort of a sub-plot kind of thing.

There are a lot of weird and magical cultural things in America, now that I think of it, like Blue MOuntain People and something called pow-wow (that's not native american I don't believe) that's in Pensylvainia if I'm not mistaken.

Individual writers also have local legend and stuff like that to bring into there work.

Back