Your Sex Ed

AnnyMouse28

Abstinent
How was your sexual education like? Do you think it prepared you for being a sexual being? Where did you learn the most - school, parents, friends, books, online? What was something you wish you learned before your sexual debut?

Last edited:
How was your sexual education like? Do you think it prepared you for being a sexual being? Where did you learn the most - school, parents, friends, books, online? What was something you wish you learned before your sexual debut?
They went through my sex ed in 5th grade and I wasn't ready.
I was so embarrassed.
I learned the most from the partners I had later to be honest.
I do wish I knew that it was okay to explore and to not be embarrassed when I was younger.

We had all kinds of books on how babies are made and maturation. By the time they gave sex ed in school, I knew way more than the teacher was actually teaching. It was like she was giving some dumb down version of what was actually happening to our bodies.

Middle school comes around and we learn and once again, it was not all a mystery to me. We learned about prophylactics and birth control and all of the other fun stuff from sex. I grew up in a house where sex and sexuality weren't shamed so none of it wasn't mystery to me.

I was a peer educator for an aids project, I put more condoms on bananas than any virgin has a right to. I've always been comfortable in my own skin and comfortable with my own sexuality. The only times I was uncomfortable was when grown men would try to come on to me when I was a teenage girl. They don't teach you how to deal with that sex ed

Last edited:
School sex Ed was a laugh. It was the 80s so no one really talked about much. We had the obligatory classes on how babies were made and how birth control methods worked. To this day when someone is pulling out the forks of a forklift from a pallet and someone says “pull out.” I always say “it’s the least effective method of birth control.”

I actually learned more about sex from my family. They were pretty open about that kind of things having just been thru the 60s. They had a book on sex and my mom gave my sisters a book called “our bodies, our selves” which I read so I understood what women’s parts were and how sex worked, at least from a woman’s perspective.

There wasn’t a version for men, but my mom got me a book on male fantasies that was written by Nancy Friday. It made me feel less weird about sex and my sex drive and things I fantasized about.

I’m super sexual and these were good concepts. But the rest was all on the job training, trial and error, making mistakes and having fun making them.

The only times I was uncomfortable was when grown men would try to come on to me when I was a teenage girl. They don't teach you how to deal with that sex ed
But they should!!!

I feel my sex ed was pretty lacking. Of course I knew about parts & periods & ejaculation. They taught about VD/STD/STI's and contraception. I think we (as a society) need to stop shamming sexuality and all that it means to be a sexual being.

I was 19/20 before I learned about orgasm. Didn't have my first one until I was 25. When my first partner, over a year after we first started having sex asked me if I had orgasms I had NO CLUE what he was talking about. It took quite a bit of my own research to discover what the clitoris was and just how big of a part it played in female sexual pleasure.

“O
School sex Ed was a laugh. It was the 80s so no one really talked about much. We had the obligatory classes on how babies were made and how birth control methods worked. To this day when someone is pulling out the forks of a forklift from a pallet and someone says “pull out.” I always say “it’s the least effective method of birth control.”

I actually learned more about sex from my family. They were pretty open about that kind of things having just been thru the 60s. They had a book on sex and my mom gave my sisters a book called “our bodies, our selves” which I read so I understood what women’s parts were and how sex worked, at least from a woman’s perspective.

There wasn’t a version for men, but my mom got me a book on male fantasies that was written by Nancy Friday. It made me feel less weird about sex and my sex drive and things I fantasized about.

I’m super sexual and these were good concepts. But the rest was all on the job training, trial and error, making mistakes and having fun making them.

“Our bodies, our selves” was a school sex-ed textbook and our teacher was pregnant at the time- she was out and delivered on a Friday and was back teaching on Monday. 🤷‍♀️

The class was pretty good all in all.

When I was younger I discovered a large stash of Hustler magazines. That was my introduction to human sexuality and probably shouldn't have been but it is what it is. I found an old copy of "Everything you wanted to know about sex but were afraid to ask" and read it cover to cover while masturbating. I became very curious about how to please a woman sexually so bought a lot of books on female orgasm and the G-Spot.

But they should!!!

I feel my sex ed was pretty lacking. Of course I knew about parts & periods & ejaculation. They taught about VD/STD/STI's and contraception. I think we (as a society) need to stop shamming sexuality and all that it means to be a sexual being.

I was 19/20 before I learned about orgasm. Didn't have my first one until I was 25. When my first partner, over a year after we first started having sex asked me if I had orgasms I had NO CLUE what he was talking about. It took quite a bit of my own research to discover what the clitoris was and just how big of a part it played in female sexual pleasure.
Oh my goodness, this right here is why we need a more thorough version of sex ed. You should know your own body! It's like they're afraid that if girls know they can orgasm, they'll be as deviant as the boys, and they need at least one group to be under control. (i'm the youngest and only have brothers, adolescent male sexuality is a whole other kettle of fish!)

I started having orgasms in my sleep when I was about 13/14. They'd wake me up, and scared the hell out of me. I'm grateful I had a mom I could talk to, and knew "nocturnal emissions" weren't just a guy thing. But not knowing what ir how to orgasm until well into adulthood, holy shit, that's bleek!

But they should!!!

Totally. American culture tends to be really hung up on sex and sex Ed. There should be more openess about it.

My wife is ten years older than I and I asked her about sex Ed and how she learned about her own orgasms. She learned it well after high school (she graduated in 1975). She said she was 20 or 21. She had a much older boyfriend who taught her about orgasms and bought her a vibrator.

Glad he did. She’s really orgasmic, even at 66.

So to put things in perspective, I’ll be 62 next month. Sex education was called “Health” and took half a semester with the other half being drivers Ed. All I recall about it was the gross photos they showed of people with extreme STDs. I think I learned more from reading Penthouse to be honest! Lol

I don’t know that they’re even teaching it anymore in high school. Unfortunately there’s no way the curriculum could teach how to do it well — imagine how that would go over!

Unfortunately there’s no way the curriculum could teach how to do it well — imagine how that would go over!
I don't think they should necessarily teach technique. But there is so much more it than boys have penises and girls have vaginas. This is how babies are made. Avoid STI's.

I don't think they should necessarily teach technique. But there is so much more it than boys have penises and girls have vaginas. This is how babies are made. Avoid STI's.
Yeah the extreme focus on VD was probably intended to scare teens out of having sex.

Sex Ed in my high school was funny. The girls got a video about menstruation and getting pregnant. I know because it was shown in the classroom nest to the classroom where I was taking a history class, and the sound came through the walls. That embarrassed the hell out of all the girls in my history class.

The guys got a WWII training film about "VD" and the use of condoms.

The rest of my sex ed was a combination of parental "talks", Boy Scout camping trips, and a few magazines I "borrowed" from my Dad. Everything important was learned via OJT, which was a lot more fun that a VD film.

My parents gave me a small book that explained the basics. My older sister showed me all the female parts that I needed to know about. The rest of my basic education was with my girlfriend, who became my wife. A book, "The Joy of Sex" helped us move beyond basic sex education to a graduate level experience.

I was raised by "Fire and Brimstone" Southern Baptists. I went to high school in a suburb of SLC Utah.

Everyone in my life just pretended that nobody had sex and nobody was sexual. I think it fucked me up in a lot of ways. It's been a long time overcoming the shame etc associated with it. Of course, the Soon To Be Ex Mrs Wetsider didn't help with a lot of that.

Yes, just talk. We were all horny as hell and trying to figure out how to get a girl to say yes and what we were supposed to do if she did.
Was it useful information that was shared? Or were you all still fumbling around your first times?

Back