Why you should never throw away an unfinished story

Written for another person, and they publish as their work. Mostly blogs, and podcasts, but some fiction as well.
By "ghost write" do you mean published under an alias? Or written then given to someone else?

I suppose either way you could get called out for plagiarism.

Part of me wonders if I went ahead and finished that wife / friend story, leaving the original scenes intact, if anyone would even notice.

Or care.

It was basically three scenes setting the stage for their relationship. But by no means complete.

The rest of that story would go in a completely different direction than the one I'm currently writing.

Might be an interesting experiment if I ever get around to it.

I can't publish it as my work once they have published it.
To clarify my thought:

If @MillieDynamite "ghost wrote" a story, or part of a story, that was published here under another name, then used that same story / piece of story verbatim and published under her name, readers might accuse her of plagiarism because they'd obviously not know she wrote the first one under the different name.

I've never deleted any story, which is why I have numerous folders full of unfinished stories. I still think one day I'll come back to them and finish them. If radical life extension technology emerges before long I think my prospects are good.
You're going to need a bigger server ;).

I have an interracial romance story inspired by something in my Father's life that has been wasting away in the Need to finish a file forever. I think it's because I changed from what really happened and feel a bit guilty giving my father a happy ending that doesn't include Mum. It was only inspired by what I found out about a love affair he had back in the 70s. But somehow, it seems dishonest to change what happened.

I have an interracial romance story inspired by something in my Father's life that has been wasting away in the Need to finish a file forever. I think it's because I changed from what really happened and feel a bit guilty giving my father a happy ending that doesn't include Mum. It was only inspired by what I found out about a love affair he had back in the 70s. But somehow, it seems dishonest to change what happened.
You haven't finished that story yet?

I got an idea just an hour ago that will allow me salvage a stalled story and use most of it, for a brand new project. Thanks for the inspiration, DJ!

Back