what's the weirdest thing you've ever eaten?

We ate cow tongue sandwiches when I was a kid. My mom bought it at the deli. I liked it, but the thought of eating it now makes me gag. My grandmother cooked calves brains occasionally, but just the smell of that nauseated me. I've tried oysters and clams, but I hate them both. They're rubbery-chewy and disgusting to me. Oysters are like balls of phlegm, yech.

hmm

I adore raw seafood-all sorts, and living on the Chesapeake means raw oysters as often as possible.
Being a chef I have had all organ meats,not into any except liver, and then only rarely.
Tripe,brains,glands, tongue- are too disgusting for words-and yes I have had them prepared a multitude of ways.

Lots of game, lots of domesticated game like Bison, although maybe since its domesticated now it is no longer game.

As to the less accepted arthropods:crickets-fried, mealworms-fried,ants-chocolate covered,grasshoppers-fried and a few years back a taste of steamed cicadas(somewhat asparagus like, reminded me of fiddle head ferns) and a few worms-dried.

One of the most awful things I ever ate was a huge blob of tomato aspic, which I know is not awful, I have made many since then for catering clients. But as a small child to think you are getting Jello and there on a plate with a glop of mayonnaise upon it, is a shimmering, viscous pile of tomato aspic. :eek:

The usual wild game, and a couple pussies, you can get them at any decent chinese restaurant:rolleyes:

The worst I ever saw was at deer camp a few years ago.
We had gotten a buck, and cut the antlers off. Our cook was watching out the window.
As soon as that deer head hit the ground he went running out there with a spoon in hand, grabbed the head, and started spooning out the brains and eating them. Just drooling he says MMMMMMM you can't beat fresh brains.

A few of the guys puked on the spot.

Let's see.

Cattails: (the botanical ones, not the feline kind); all sorts of various weeds, roots, leaves and stems of all ilks.

Marsh rabbit: also known as ground hog, or maybe it was a gopher. Anyway, it was quite an elderly critter with a taste and texture rather like gizzards.

Haggis: Yep, I ate some. After fleeing the house where it was cooking. It smells even worse than it looks.

Dasheen: Sounds pretty, doesn't it? It's blood pudding, basically just a big scab. I took a tiny nibble of that.

Snapping turtle: As far as reptiles go, it's quite tasty. The snake, on the other hand, looked like a skinned, boiled snake and I couldn't eat it.

Roasted pig's head: Looks really scary when cooked. Rather like a wolf, but was delicious.

My husband is into "wild food" and loves to forage for things. One of the stories in my sig tells of his first adventure in pig butchering. It's funny and not too graphic.

A few years ago, one of the other attorneys reported a fresh possum road kill. He ran out with a bag, a cleaver and a big stick. (Yes, he keeps things like that in the office.) The secretaries very wisely locked the door behind him and wouldn't let him back in until he proved to them the bag was empty. (The possum was unsuitable for cooking. Alas!)

There are lots more stories, but someone somewhere may be eating.

Alligator. Not from Australia or anything special that I see on menus, simply alligator meat.

But see, I *knew* I was eating such when they brought it back for us. Otherwise, who really knows what I've eaten over the course of my years.

Take a corndog on a stick for example... probably some mighty wieird things in that thing. Shit you DON'T even wanna know about.

Plus all those bedbugs who hump my skin at night until I whip out my 10 inch clit on them.

I've eaten frog legs, oysters, squid, alligator, and deer sausage. All of which I thought were good.

I don't know what made me think of this, but a couple of centuries ago the band I was in played at a bar that was trying to carve out a niche for itself by serving different types of game on its menu. they hosted an outdoor festival with a bunch of different bands and food booths from some of the local restaurants. at their own booth they were serving buffalo burgers, which I think are fairly common now but weren't at the time. they also had alligator meat, and ostrich. possibly they had snake, too, but my memory is kind of hazy.

I got to try a buffalo burger, but by the time I found out about the more exotic fare they were out of it. I don't know if I would have actually eaten it or not, but I think that I really wanted to try it.

so, as far as I can remember the buffalo is still the most out of the ordinary thing I've ever eaten. pretty boring, I know.... I'd be willing to bet there are some people here who have eaten some pretty strange things. this is the place to share your story.

bring on the rocky mountain oysters! :D

What? or Who?

Mr. H tried ostrich. I could not bring myself to be so brave. I've tried venison and frog legs.

Mr. H tried ostrich. I could not bring myself to be so brave. I've tried venison and frog legs.

ostrich is not odd tasting....

I've eaten Elk, Snake, Alligator, raw snails and tons of other raw seafood..plus really funky native chinese foods.....they eat every part of the beast......

Many years ago [before they changed the laws in Kenya] I ate a variety of exotic foods including wildebeest, cape buffalo and zebra. I have also eaten crocodile and alligator but I much prefer those in the form of boots than dinner entrees.

On other travels, I have eaten fugu even though it is poisonous and its preparation strictly regulated. And while I adore 'normal' crustaceans such as lobster and crab, I have also tried starfish and seahorses from outdoor markets in the Pacific Rim nations. The nicest thing I can say about that is "I tried it".

I refuse to eat brains, intestines or entrails from any animal. Same goes for hooves, testicles and internal organs.

As far as fruits/veggies, there are so many weird things out there to try! I made it a resolution to try one new thing a month next year.

This is one of the more unusual fruits I have found recently -it's called Buddha's Hand
Buddha%27sHand.JPG

Very lemony scent and taste - not much fruit. I think it is mostly used as a zest. No one at the store could tell me how to prepare it though!

Cow stomach and sheep tendon (cooked) - China
Smoked eel - Holland
Haggis and blood sausage - Scotland

Of all of it, I really like the smoked eel and haggis; I would not eat the blood sausage, stomach, or tendon again.

I don't know what made me think of this, but a couple of centuries ago the band I was in played at a bar that was trying to carve out a niche for itself by serving different types of game on its menu. they hosted an outdoor festival with a bunch of different bands and food booths from some of the local restaurants. at their own booth they were serving buffalo burgers, which I think are fairly common now but weren't at the time. they also had alligator meat, and ostrich. possibly they had snake, too, but my memory is kind of hazy.

I got to try a buffalo burger, but by the time I found out about the more exotic fare they were out of it. I don't know if I would have actually eaten it or not, but I think that I really wanted to try it.

so, as far as I can remember the buffalo is still the most out of the ordinary thing I've ever eaten. pretty boring, I know.... I'd be willing to bet there are some people here who have eaten some pretty strange things. this is the place to share your story.

bring on the rocky mountain oysters! :D

I get the feeling you may have been in my corner of the nation when you ran across this restaurant. Buffalo (technically bison), tastes just like beef to me, but it's leaner. It also depends on what the bison has been eating. If they eat a lot of sage brush, then it's gamey. Venison will always taste like venison. Not my favorite by a long shot. Various fowl, I have little problem with. The Rocky Mountain Oysters taste like ground beef deep-fat-fried. Like meat twinkies at the testicle festival. I've had chocolate covered crickets. A little crunchy, but not much flavor. I got one of the legs stuck between my two bottom teeth. The psychology of that was strange. Of course, I've inadvertently eaten lots of other things as a child, but not exactly with intent. And then of course all the organ meats I've tried, but was never a fan. Actually meat in general gives me the heebie jeebies, but I eat it because it's the most convenient way for me to get protein on the run. Beef jerky is my savior.

I am waiting for someone to say "Killswitch", which of course will be the weirdest thing anyone here has eaten.

I get the feeling you may have been in my corner of the nation when you ran across this restaurant.
actually, it was right here in my hometown in s.w. ohio. this was about 20 years ago, when off-the-wall menu items were even more off-the-wall. this place was trying to use the game meat to help them carve out a client base. either it just plain didn't work, or their meat supplier sucked because the place was closed within a couple of months.

some of these posts are amazing to me.... to see people talk about eating such odd things like it's an everyday thing, when I feel like I'd hurl if I had to try to eat a lot of these foods.

hmmm... just from looking at them, I wouldn't think that chicken feet would even be edible. how much meat is on them?
Not much, but they're available in Chinatown, where it's claimed they boost virility. I had some in wonton soup a couple days ago.

( . )( . )

Octopus - tasty, but very chewy. I like the smoked octopus best.

Cuttlefish - it's dried and packed in salt, so its texture is a bit like beef jerky.

Haggis - Mmmmmmm. Very spicy (lots of black pepper and onions in it) and kind of reminds me of liverwurst.
I want to try haggis, but it isn't available in Murka

( . )( . )

Most of the cited items seem pretty sedate, although I perceive that origin is secondary to mouthfeel.

In a gourmet restaurant in Mexico City's Zona Rosa, I had a nice selection of fried insects. I had a similar experience with relatives from Myanmar, then-Burma.

Spanish seafood includes such delights as this:
https://love2fly.iberia.com/2019/02/12/galicia-spain-goose-barnacles-percebes-culinary/

We have bags of exotic seafood including starfish and sea cucumber in Chinatown.

Cal-Mex food (we invented the big burrito) has taken an experimental turn in recent times. I was surprised in a famous taquería to find a burrito with a chile relleno stuffed in it.

May I note that I find gefilte fish and other staples of the Ashkenazi Jewish diet to be utterly repellent? A family wedding was planned. The menu for the reception was "Lithuanian ghetto." I insisted on Italian Jewish cuisine instead. We're Sephardic.

No mentions of balut, Pilipino and Indochinese fermented eggs, or lutefisk, Scandinavian lye-cured fish?

How about strange beverages: kvas, kumys, pulque? There was a time Lady Mescal was exotic.

Tsk.

( . )( . )

Last edited:
Back