What's for dinner?

So it's ribs and chicken tonite, slow cooked, with salad and croutons, rice, baked potatoes and some grilled zucchini, pepper and mushrooms. Chinese egg tarts for dessert and the friends are bringing the appetizers. Time to raid what passes for a wine cellar here. Got some wine from chile to try out.

This whole thing is awesome. Was this a special meal? Chicken and ribs and Chilean wine........

This whole thing is awesome. Was this a special meal? Chicken and ribs and Chilean wine........

A little bit. We were having some friends over so I did a bit more than I usually do. And the Chilean wine is great. Argentine wine can be really good as well. My partner had this 200 bottle wine cellar thing when I met him and we've gradually been filling it. Right now it's almost there and we have wine from chile, Argentina, Uruguay, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Austria, Hungary and Romania as well as a few from California. Took a while but we hardly ever buy anything too expensive. You can get some really good wine without paying too much sometimes. It's a fun interest if you don't get to pretentious about it like some people do.

I slow cooked the ribs and chicken in BBQ sauce and half a bottle of red wine at 200 with the potatoes all afternoon and they were just drop to pieces tender. Coated the vegetables in olive oil and grilled them. Everything got demolished and the we ran thru a few bottles of wine. Even I had a few glasses. I usually don't when we go out coz I drive and I don't drink much anyhow but seeing as we were home .... we had a Chilean merlot, a Aussie barossa valley Shiraz, a New Zealand Pinot noir and a French Bourdeau with a Hungarian tokay dessert wine. Totally sybaritic.

Last edited:
I broke in my new-to-me grill that I refurbished this week and made petite sirloin, with long grain/wild rice and mixed veggies.
Cooked off some chicken breasts for tomorrow, too :)

Salads, grilled steak, potato pancakes with cottage cheese and strawberry shortcake for dessert. Rating? Eh, not bad. Not the best I ever made.

Baked chicken, baby peas, noodles with butter and cottage cheese. Strawberry - nectarine shortcake for dessert. That was better the second night, with the nectarine added.

In deference to the Memorial Day unofficial opening of summer in the United States, I had a hamburger for dinner. That wouldn't seem too unusual, except that I hardly get any beef anymore.

Turkey mince based pasta sauce with pasta. Lost my internet connection and spent half the day on a service call but it's back up now. What a waste of time. Oh well....

Denny

Again............. we got home too late for lunch so had a late dinner. We'll probably skip supper.

I had general tso chicken for dinner last night, with green peppers tomatoes and all that jazz. It was at one of my favourite restaurants.

Well, dinner depended on who you were at my house tonight. I had unwrapped eggroll and buffalo wing meatloaf. Rhubarb cobbler for dessert. The recipe I use for the cobbler is from Smitten Kitchen (you can search that through Google to get the recipe, best I ever tried) but I turned it gluten free by using a combo of almond, coconut and tapioca flour to replace the wheat flour. I also used maple syrup in place of regular sugar. It turned out great.

Well, dinner depended on who you were at my house tonight. I had unwrapped eggroll and buffalo wing meatloaf. Rhubarb cobbler for dessert. The recipe I use for the cobbler is from Smitten Kitchen (you can search that through Google to get the recipe, best I ever tried) but I turned it gluten free by using a combo of almond, coconut and tapioca flour to replace the wheat flour. I also used maple syrup in place of regular sugar. It turned out great.

I used to make a Smitten Kitchen brownie that was super yummy, but haven't in a long while.

Tonight my friend made um....let's sautee what we have in the fridge and serve it over cauliflower they were cooked and 'riced' then we spread it thin on a cookie sheet and roasted it.
It was soo good! A mix of some chicken breast and leftover steak, sauteed with red peppers, onions and garlic, oh and spinach!
And low carb too!

We have plans tomorrow for Arby's because we NEED that pork belly sandwich :D We have some running around to do so a little pork treat to reward ourselves seems in order. Probably eat it sans bun, so low carb.

Plain chicken, the spinach was bitter, and the carrots were . . . . odd. But there was leftover rhubarb cobbler so that makes it all better. :D

Last edited:
I had general tso chicken for dinner last night, with green peppers tomatoes and all that jazz. It was at one of my favourite restaurants.

Yum! I love General Tso chicken. De-lic-ciouos! Steak and rice for us tonite. I think there's some vegetables somewhere, but if not, well, steak comes from herbivores. I'm sure that counts as vegetables.

Been a busy weekend, so shortcrust chicken, mushroom & leek pie, cheesy mashed potatoes, steamed kale, minted garden peas, and hot pear and plum cobbler with a hot Blackberry coulis. Good thing hubby can cook, otherwise we'd be eating takeout, because I'm bushed...

Taco Salad tonight. I'll try to break the recipe down.

Salad - Just Iceburg lettuce and cucumber. Add what you like.

Taco meat - Brown a pound of ground beef and add 1 8 ounce can unsalted tomato sauce, 1 1/2 teaspoons of chili powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon ground or flaked oregano, 1/4 teaspoon paprika, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Simmer. Grate sharp cheddar cheese over it to melt, about 2 ounces.

I serve with sour cream and guacamole, taco chips for those who want.

Guacamole - 1 ripe avocado, 1/4 cup of your favorite salsa, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, a squeeze of lime juice and a pinch of salt.

Oh, ground turkey works well too.

Last edited:
Baked chicken, steamed taro and vegetables stir-fried in my old wok with Chinese Guilin style chilli sauce.

Back